• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any tips on landing a spike?

Neverendingend2

Smash Rookie
throw them off and do a single jump off, then when they are closer, do the second jump, it will put you over them and its not very expected. other than that, just practice practice practice, forward throws lead into it very well.

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
i think the easiest to land is//

with you right next to ledge facing toward the stage

grab<dthrow<run off stage< jump+dair simultanously

---

and on another note i always find it easiest to run off then jump+dair up into it rather than fall onto them, its risker but easier to time/land since YOUR jumping into THEM instead of falling onto them which you dont really have control over.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I think an important thing to keep in mind is that the hitbox reaches all around Diddy (Even his head).

So rather than going for where his fists are locked as the hitbox, just try to position yourself in a way that when the hitbox comes out, you are in contact with them.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Look out for footstool jumps when you do this though, as your opponent could get out of it, or potentially get you in the situation you tried to get them into.

Skarmbliss

Smash Cadet
alot of times they will try to air dodge it so i would throw a banana peel at them and follow it up with the Dair Spike. The banana peel is suppose to be the decoy

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
It gets even harder when you play good people. Don't make it a constant move and for advice...use a distraction. For example, throw or drop a banana, shoot a couple peanuts to air dodge, or just jump like you are going to hit them then fall with them. After the air dodge is over then land the spike. Easier said than done though.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
I usually try to get above them then Dairspike. Later if they catch on ,like everybody else, said wait for them to air dodge and then hit them.

3transfat

Smash Journeyman
What Yoshididdy said.

Except you might want to air dodge too, just to make it easier on yourself.
Also, most opponents won't know to air dodge twice.
If they do, go ahead and air dodge twice. Then proceed to spike.

Don't go for the spike most of the time, however. It puts your opponent on their toes.
You can use the Diddy Hump to spike by pressing up on your control stick.

saberhof

Smash Master
Sometimes people remember its brawl and that they can recover from a lower distance, so just fall down with them and fall while preforming the spike and you have a second jump ready anyway...i have done this many times...

Flyingsporks

Smash Rookie
I think an important thing to keep in mind is that the hitbox reaches all around Diddy (Even his head).
That actually helped me out a lot.

If your opponent is off the stage above you, take one jump, then quickly take your second and dsmash, as to not give them time to react or dodge. When they are below you off the stage, charge your rocketbarrels when they are about to jump into them. Pretty obvious advice but hopefully it will help you out :ohwell:

lajackson07

Smash Apprentice
If the problem is getting back on stage, don't double jump. Use only one jump to reach the opponent and your second jump and recovery to get back on stage. Try to c-stick the spike. Pressing down on the control stick will make you fast fall.
If the problem is spiking and you just want them to die, play mindgames. Sometimes, you can jump out at people and do absolutely nothing. They will probably air dodge but notice that they are taking themselves out of position to get back on the stage. This works pretty well against people with tether recoveries. Or jump out and Fair in their faces.
If you want to spike people just to make a highlight reel, sometimes you can and sometimes you can't. Just try when you can and, most importantly, don't kill yourself.

3transfat

Smash Journeyman
lajackson07 said:
Try to c-stick the spike. Pressing down on the control stick will make you fast fall.
If you have your C-Stick set to smashes you will still fast fall. You can stop this by changing the stick to tilts.

eMORAY21

Smash Journeyman
i think the easiest to land is//

with you right next to ledge facing toward the stage

grab<dthrow<run off stage< jump+dair simultanously

---

and on another note i always find it easiest to run off then jump+dair up into it rather than fall onto them, its risker but easier to time/land since YOUR jumping into THEM instead of falling onto them which you dont really have control over.
Yeah that works pretty well

Top Bottom