• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any Tips on a Ganon vs Marth??

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
It's a zoning matchup. You can compete with his range if you can keep a half step ahead of him.

Fully spaced bair beats anything.

Be selective with fair or you'll get bodied.

Uair is golden when he jumps and at short range (retreating uair scoop)

Nair is a great way to put him on a platform at low to low/mid% and get a free techchase. Use this after a dthrow or dair when platforms are around.

You beat marth by getting him offstage and edgeguarding him.

If he is spamming sh double fairs, and you shield the first one, you can uair oos before the second one (won't work if he spaces the fair well).

Shield DI is your friend. Use it to change your position in close quarters while you're being pressured. For instance, if you shield his fair, and you're holding down and in, you can get shield grabs much more often.

If he approaches you aggressively and goes through you, aim your bair oos for the tip of his head (shield poke).

If you condition him to shield when expecting an aerial, either fastfall and tomahawk or don't ff and aim the heel of Ganon's boot on marth's exposed feet (shield poke).

Grab, grab, grab. You can obviously aerial out of it and get a guaranteed hit, but try to get 2 and actually send him offstage (like I said nair is great for this at low-ish%.

If you shield a fsmash, you can wavedash oos and grab him.

You can chaingrab him to like 15% (definitely 2 regrabs if you don't pummel) and more if he DI'S full behind.

ASDI, and SDI his hits away/down + away, and get back on your feet ASAP. Never make it easy for him to maintain control.

Don't over-commit to ANYTHING. Try to "float like a butterfly and sting like a bee"

That's just off the top of my head. Try searching these boards. This matchup has been discussed a ton on here.

Last edited:

XLAX_OVERDOSAGE

Smash Apprentice
A few extra tips I like to go for against marth:

If you get the timing consistently, you can easily punish his Fsmash with a downB

If you see the Marth uses his side B a lot while recovering, semi-spike reverse Uair him while he can't hit you.

Your fair can punish his SHFFL'd nair if he doesn't have his back turned to you

Downthrow to Uair/Bair is a good option for combo starters

When he's about to sweetspot the ledge to recover, use the Marth Killer (Roll to the ledge, hold Z and tilt your shield diagonally to the ledge, eventually grabbing the ledge when the end of his UpB hits your shield)

Did I mention you can easily punish his Fsmash with a downB? Yeah I ****ing love that.

You can also shield his sideB to a shieldgrab.

Yort

Smash Apprentice
Okay, my Ganondorf completely fails versus any Marth player except for my friend who sucks at it ... any tips?
Uair out of shield when he fairs / double fairs your shield works well

Dthrow Chain grab until 20ish%, after this percent you can always downthrow back air / up air. You can get alot of solid punishes off grabing marth like most floaties of his weight range, but it's not that easy to grab him.

If you aren't good at retreating forward airs and back airs yet I highly recommend you get good at them as spacing is the name of the game in this match up. (Using c stick to throw the arial while controlling your movement with analog).

Coming down on marth from above never works for me atleast, uptilt will just destroy you. Depends on the marth of course.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
A few extra tips I like to go for against marth:

If you get the timing consistently, you can easily punish his Fsmash with a downB

If you see the Marth uses his side B a lot while recovering, semi-spike reverse Uair him while he can't hit you.

Your fair can punish his SHFFL'd nair if he doesn't have his back turned to you

Downthrow to Uair/Bair is a good option for combo starters

When he's about to sweetspot the ledge to recover, use the Marth Killer (Roll to the ledge, hold Z and tilt your shield diagonally to the ledge, eventually grabbing the ledge when the end of his UpB hits your shield)

Did I mention you can easily punish his Fsmash with a downB? Yeah I ****ing love that.

You can also shield his sideB to a shieldgrab.
Ehhh, don't expect most of this to work on seasoned marths.

Top Bottom