• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any tips for changing my muscle memory?

Stylin'

Smash Rookie
Hi. I've recently picked up cloud as a secondary, and it's made me realise what a horrible mistake playing smash bros with tap jump was. Short hop up airs are too good to miss, and I spend most of my time short hopping with him anyway. While I can s-hop with tap jump, it would be far easier to pair it with aerials with it off, and it would make my smash bros life easier. The problem is that I have to train my muscle memory to completely switch off using tap jump. Would this just mean getting to the point where jumping with buttons was subconscious, or would I have to relearn all of the skills that I already know with characters I have put time into alongside that? I'd assume not, as the combos etc should come naturally if the new control scheme is implanted in my brain. But hey what do I know?

In summary/tl:dr - Do you have any tips on retraining muscle memory? Would I have to relearn all the things I knew involving jumping or just the new controls? Is it worth moving away from tap jump in the first place?

(This all applies to both my 2DS and Gamecube controller usage)]

Thanks in advance for your tips and advice in helping me to move away from the scrub life

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
It make take a little while, but you'll grow use to Tap Jump being off. Speaking as someone who had some difficulty in learning to jump with the X button after switching the Y button to Special, it takes a couple of games for your reflexes to adjust to your settings.

Stylin'

Smash Rookie
It make take a little while, but you'll grow use to Tap Jump being off. Speaking as someone who had some difficulty in learning to jump with the X button after switching the Y button to Special, it takes a couple of games for your reflexes to adjust to your settings.
How many games did you have to play until it was completely reactionary? I've played quite a few matches with it off and am still thinking hard about jumping.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Yes, turning off tap jump makes landing combos and such much easier than you would otherwise.

And don't worry about the change. It'll take a bit to get used to but trust me (I used the control stick for jumping at first), your play will get much better.

It should take at least a few matches to get a feel for the change (it took me at least 10 or so matches), after that, everything should fall into place.

Last edited:

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
How many games did you have to play until it was completely reactionary? I've played quite a few matches with it off and am still thinking hard about jumping.
My guess is around 10+ games, I've completely forgot about jumping with X. Mind you, it took numerous SD's for that new habit to kick in.

Stylin'

Smash Rookie
My guess is around 10+ games, I've completely forgot about jumping with X. Mind you, it took numerous SD's for that new habit to kick in.
Haha those SD's sound familiar to me. It's good to know it's a bit quicker than I thought at first. Thanks

Stylin'

Smash Rookie
Yes, turning off tap jump makes landing combos and such much easier than you would otherwise.

And don't worry about the change. It'll take a bit to get used to but trust me (I used the control stick for jumping at first), your play will get much better.

It should take at least a few matches to get a feel for the change (it took me at least 10 or so matches), after that, everything should fall into place.
It's nice to know this will be a worthwhile change and that it won't take a stupid amount of time. I'm assuming based on this that combo's don't have to be relearned etc.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
It's nice to know this will be a worthwhile change and that it won't take a stupid amount of time. I'm assuming based on this that combo's don't have to be relearned etc.
You shouldn't have to relearn them. Just as long as you familiarize yourself with the change, you should be fine.

Top Bottom