• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any old school players around?

Ken2

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone, it's Kenny. I used to play at tournaments with everyone for SSBM and was just curious to see if there are any old faces still on here that play Brawl, because I don't like it. I don't like explaining all the reasons why, but from what I have played of the game so far, it didn't take me long to want to go back to melee. If any of my peeps play Brawl and are still active on here, let me know. Please post.

Dark Falchion? (I can just call you lol)
Keep Speedin?
Ken
Captain Jack
Azen
Isea
Maverick (I doubt he plays, he retired from melee a long time ago)
Bomb Soldier (I dont think he ever had an account on here)
Any of my old Central Florida crew besides Josh??? Thomas, Fred, etc.
Anyone else I left out that I used to play with at Gigabits or your house.

If anyone I know posts and can tell me that this game is as good as Melee was, I might consider coming back. Otherwise, see ya guys :(.

Zplatter

Smash Rookie
I was really exciting of getting brawl, and yesterday I got it. I cannot remember last time I have waited so much for a game, being so phsyced up for a game or having so much fun playing it.

I was a really good player in melee, and now in brawl I really feel like a noob because I've started playing with a remote that looks like the SNES controller and haven't configured the controllers yet.

Personally I would say convert to brawl, don't know how it is with tournaments or how much to play with others on melee, personally all I had to try and beat me was some friends and someone I play with at the moment gave me really good competition, other then that I couldn't get anyone to beat me or anything, now I got the chance to get good, meet alot of various player on the net and join tournaments.

At the moment I'm doing subspace emissary, not really much of a story but a hell of a lot of fun playing around in=) I started on very hard:p

TL;DR

Go back to brawl for the greater good.

InvincibleAgent

Smash Lord
Corneria, Oregon, US - Melee: Roy, Link, Ganondorf
I was by no means a pro, I mean I could wavedash, but I never really felt like it added anything to my Roy strategy (I understand he wasn't that great, but I enjoyed playing as him).

I have a lot of fun with Brawl. But I am by no means a pro or anything. People tell me I camp... I tell them I am being strategic. I dunno.

dj_pwn1423

Smash Journeyman
I am a competetive player, and Im having fun with brawl, but if everyone goes back to melee then I'll follow. Its no fun playing alone + melee is too good.

on topic(XD)

I heard ken plays somewhat but heard he doesn't like it very much

orintemple

Smash Lord
I know Azen plays Brawl, he actually likes it a lot I hear. I haven't seen him post here since the Smash Wars tourney though. I think a lot of the old pros stayed with Melee/quit completely but there should be a few.

Ken2

Smash Apprentice
I played top level tournament melee for almost four years and it's very hard going from that to a game that lacks everything melee had.

Just for example. Brawl has...

No L cancelling, Ledge Teching, Wavedashing, almost no fast falling, powershielding, and bad Directional Influencing from what I can tell from playing. That is just a few things of the many.

ALL the old characters are garbage now.

Fox: No waveshining, shine kills, fast falling, speed, Up-air knock back.
Falco: Horrible now! No Drill shine/spike comboing, no fast fall short hop blaster for disrupting.
Marth: My fault, he does have a tip I guess, but everything else about him is sub-par to the old Marth imo. I didn't play the game much so forgive me if I made a mistake on some things :p.
Yoshi: HAHA thought they'd make him better this time around. NOPE. No jumping out of shield or third jump STILL.

I played with almost all the melee characters, but those were the main characters I played with competitively, and they are all horrible in Brawl.

Everything in the game is too easy. In my opiinion, this game caters to beginner level players, which I guess is good for Nintendo because people can buy it, and enjoy it right away, unless you used to play melee like I did. I don't mean to offend anyone of course, it's just how it is.

I don't feel like going into every detail of why I don't like Brawl, but I don't think I'll be playing much of it as I think most of my tourny friends quit the game.

HAH, yeah I'd like to see Azen enjoy the game now with crappy Marth.

orintemple

Smash Lord
I played top level tournament melee for almost four years and it's very hard going from that to a game that lacks everything melee had.

No L cancelling, Ledge Teching, Wavedashing, fast falling, powershielding, and no Directional Influencing from what I can tell from playing. That is just a few things of the many.

Falco: Horrible now! No Drill shine/spike comboing, no fast fall short hop blaster for disrupting.
Marth: NO TIP!!! OMG does he suck now.
Yoshi: HAHA thought they'd make him better this time around. NOPE. No jumping out of shield or third jump STILL.

I played with almost all the melee characters, but those were the main characters I played with competitively, and they are all horrible in Brawl.

Everything in the game is too easy. In my opiinion, this game caters to beginner level players, which I guess is good for Nintendo because people can buy it, and enjoy it right away, unless you used to play melee like I did. I don't mean to offend anyone of course, it's just how it is.

I don't feel like going into every detail of why I don't like Brawl, but I don't think I'll be playing much of it as I think most of my tourny friends quit the game.

HAH, yeah I'd like to see Azen enjoy the game now with crappy "no tip" "no knockback" Marth.
Actually Marth can still tip but the other stuff is true. The game is definitely meant to be easy for new players to pick up, and the skill gaps between the good players and the lesser ones is a lot smaller. This game was meant to make money, not for us to make money off of it :ohwell:

Ken2

Smash Apprentice
Yeah...

Sadly you are correct :(. What is your real name Orin? Maybe I've played you at a tourney or something. I knew a lot of old smashers hehe, so who knows...

orintemple

Smash Lord
Sadly you are correct :(. What is your real name Orin? Maybe I've played you at a tourney or something. I knew a lot of old smashers hehe, so who knows...
My name is John, I highly doubt you have ever met me in real life. I didn't get into Melee hardcore til late '06 and even then I only entered very few tourneys. I'm not exactly one of the elite old school pros XD

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman

No L cancelling, Ledge Teching, Wavedashing, fast falling, powershielding, and no Directional Influencing from what I can tell from playing. That is just a few things of the many.

Marth: My fault, he does have a tip I guess, but everything else about him is sub-par to the old Marth imo. I didn't play the game much so forgive me if I made a mistake on some things :p.

HAH, yeah I'd like to see Azen enjoy the game now with crappy Marth.
Fast falling and DIing are both still there to a lesser extent.

Ken2

Smash Apprentice
True

Didn't notice you lived so far away. I guess I have never met ya then heh. The closest I got to you was that last TG tourney in Georgia for melee a while back. Atleast I think it was a TG tourney. I don't remember, it's been SOO long ago heh. Whatever tourney it was, it was huge! Kinda fun being back on here again though, even if it's mostly new faces :).

orintemple

Smash Lord
Didn't notice you lived so far away. I guess I have never met ya then heh. The closest I got to you was that last TG tourney in Georgia for melee a while back. Atleast I think it was a TG tourney. I don't remember, it's been SOO long ago heh. Whatever tourney it was, it was huge! Kinda fun being back on here again though, even if it's mostly new faces :).
Well then welcome back. I don't how long you will be staying but please don't mind the torrent of new members. Many of them are annoying and downright unintelligent but I think most have good intentions. :)
I don't how many really old school members you will find but there are still quite a number of us in the '04/'05 join dates around.

Oh yea, and as UncleFitzy said, Fastfalling and DI are still in. Fastfaling isn't quite as important as it was but DI is actually ridiculous and super easy now, making it near broken.

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
Well then welcome back. I don't how long you will be staying but please don't mind the torrent of new members. Many of them are annoying and downright unintelligent but I think most have good intentions. :)
I don't how many really old school members you will find but there are still quite a number of us in the '04/'05 join dates around.
It will be very interesting to see how the tourney scene develops in Brawl with all of the new players.

orintemple

Smash Lord
It will be very interesting to see how the tourney scene develops in Brawl with all of the new players.
I have a feeling it will exist on a large scale due to all the new people, but won't be nearly as intense as Melee was. Not only is Brawl just not as intense in general, but also the player skill will be much closer so we will see a lot of different people winning tourneys all over instead of just the same 20 or so top people. I feel like the competition won't be quite as engaging because you won't really have "smash idols" and people to look up too like we did in Melee's competitive scene.

Ken2

Smash Apprentice
Yeah

I might just hang around on here for fun every once and a while. I would have more posts on here, considering I've been here since '05, but I never really went on here. I just always went to tourneys and played people at there houses and stuff. I usually only went on here to sign up for tourneys in advance.

I don't have a Wii yet, but if you want, I'll put you on a friend list (Do they have that here? lol). When I get it, maybe I'll get Brawl one day, and we can play online. Last time I played it online, it lagged though, so I don't know.

I MISS MELEE :( Lol, I almost double posted there, sry moddies :D.

orintemple

Smash Lord
I might just hang around on here for fun every once and a while. I would have more posts on here, considering I've been here since '05, but I never really went on here. I just always went to tourneys and played people at there houses and stuff. I usually only went on here to sign up for tourneys in advance.

I don't have a Wii yet, but if you want, I'll put you on a friend list (Do they have that here? lol). When I get it, maybe I'll get Brawl one day, and we can play online. Last time I played it online, it lagged though, so I don't know.
Sounds cool, I'd love to play you. There is a friends list here, yes. Also, I know a way you may be able to get rid of that lag, at least mostly, so if/when the time comes I can help you with that.

Brawl is a fun game. Although it isn't the competitive masterpiece many of us wanted, it is still a lot of fun just to play for, well, fun.

Ken2

Smash Apprentice
One more run...

It would be cool if EVERYONE that played melee got together for one last "Farewell To Smash" tourney, maybe in Cali or something. Pot would be $1 buy in for singles, $2 for doubles lol. Everyone would be there, and it could be more about having fun with your old pals and smash crews than about winning. Tons of food, cake, snacks, and drinks to enjoy to. Specially since most of them quit and lost a lot of their peak skill. And not to mention the serious players... that cry when they lose... *cough* XIF *cough*. Lol just kidding XIF, but not really lol.

O well, a boy can dream cant he? A boy can dream :)...

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
I have a feeling it will exist on a large scale due to all the new people, but won't be nearly as intense as Melee was. Not only is Brawl just not as intense in general, but also the player skill will be much closer so we will see a lot of different people winning tourneys all over instead of just the same 20 or so top people. I feel like the competition won't be quite as engaging because you won't really have "smash idols" and people to look up too like we did in Melee's competitive scene.
That's very true. Hopefully we are proven wrong though. I'll give the game a year to iron out its meta game.

orintemple

Smash Lord
It would be cool if EVERYONE that played melee got together for one last "Farewell To Smash" tourney, maybe in Cali or something. Pot would be $1 buy in for singles, $2 for doubles lol. Everyone would be there, and it could be more about having fun with your old pals and smash crews than about winning. Tons of food, cake, snacks, and drinks to enjoy to. Specially since most of them quit and lost a lot of their peak skill. And not to mention the serious players... that cry when they lose... *cough* XIF *cough*. Lol just kidding XIF, but not really lol.

O well, a boy can't dream cant he? A boy can dream :)...
That would be great, of course I wouldn't be there. I can't afford to go to Cali :(

I bet everyone would suck though :laugh:

orintemple

Smash Lord
"Did someone turn fast mode on?"
That gives me a good idea. Ken, if you don't like Brawl the way it is, you could try playing on high gravity mode. It basically makes everyone fall a lot faster but it only affects gravity in such a way. It messes up certain characters recoveries but otherwise its not bad. It is actually a lot of fun and is much closer to Melee if that is something you want. You may like it.

Ken2

Smash Apprentice
Meh...

Hmm... a good theory. But no one else would do that, I'd be the only one. Plus it won't make the characters any better. At least not the ones I used to use. I guess I up the creek without a paddle on this trip. :(

Anyone play Azen yet online? I've only played him in melee for a tourney. He two stocked me both times in a 2/3 set. Would be kinda nice to play him at a fresh state like everyone else since the game just came out hehe.

Ciel~Image

Smash Apprentice
Hmm... a good theory. But no one else would do that, I'd be the only one. Plus it won't make the characters any better. At least not the ones I used to use. I guess I up the creek without a paddle on this trip. :(

Anyone play Azen yet online? I've only played him in melee for a tourney. He two stocked me both times in a 2/3 set. Would be kinda nice to play him at a fresh state like everyone else since the game just came out hehe.
As far as I know there's a big discussion going on right now about making Heavy Brawl the competitive standard. I don't know how that's going, but there's a thread about in in General Discussion. The first post in the thread lists all the benefits to gameplay high gravity offers and it sounds like it'd be dumb not to use it for tournaments or any serious competitive play. :ohwell:

orintemple

Smash Lord
As far as I know there's a big discussion going on right now about making Heavy Brawl the competitive standard. I don't know how that's going, but there's a thread about in in General Discussion. The first post in the thread lists all the benefits to gameplay high gravity offers and it sounds like it'd be dumb not to use it for tournaments or any serious competitive play. :ohwell:
This is correct, there are actually quite a few people jumping on this heavy Brawl bandwagon. You would not be alone, just a minority. There is a whole big thread about it in general discussion I believe.

As for Azen, I did not have the chance to play him in the tourney as he was not in my pool and dropped out afterwards. I would love to play him though. From what I hear he is one of the best Brawl players there is though, so it is quite a clean slate.

Ken2

Smash Apprentice
Hmm..

I will try this Heavy Brawl thing next time I go to my friends house. Maybe we can get something going with this. I might just focus on my schooling though. Melee took up a lot of my life, and if I find out that this game can somehow be as awesome as melee was, I will be doomed as far as graduating college is concerned lol.

Frey

Smash Journeyman
Hi there, and to answer your question, Ive seen Azen, and Ken post around, I havent seen isai post but i bet you could find him in the 64 boards or on kaillera if he still plays(he 2 stocked all of us in a 3 on 1, hes that good at it lol.) Anyway im a semi old member, I lurked for awhile, and recently made an account due to smash 64. Brawl, actually feels like smash 64 but with weaker throws basically, and if you guys push the heavy brawl thing, ill join it.

Top Bottom