• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any new Melee Players?

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
We've all heard this before and its just a natural law i guess.

No influx of newborns = a slow degradation of a civilization.

Who here is a new player that is prefers melee?

When did you start?

For me? I started playing in January of this year (2008)
About 2 months before brawl's release.

Doesn't exactly say i went melee during the time of brawl, but im pretty close, and technically still a newer player.

I'm curious to see, who else is new and prefers melee?

netch!

Smash Cadet
well, i got the game years ago, and pretty much completed all the single player challenges and events. then i stopped playing for about 3-4 years. i just started playing seriously about a month ago. i knew the 'advanced techniques' before... but now i'm really rusty. i needsta get my groove back, yo

BBQ°

Smash Champion
I don't know if you'd call me new, but I got Melee in 2002, played until about the end of 2003, stopped playing and started again in late 2006. I played to win, but somehow I was still the biggest scrub ever. I played as Link and depended on items for racking up percents, then used Links down aerial or up special for kills. I then mained Roy because I thought I was good with him (charging up b-move, waiting for the cpu to walk into the attack :p). I had no idea what tilts were until about November '07. I thought to do Mario's spin throw (back throw), you had to spin the analog stick in a circle while you grabbed.

Once I got my Wii (April '07), I started getting interested in getting better in Melee. Mainly I wanted to get good with Jigglypuff since I thought she sucked and it would be funny to dominate people with her, so I looked for Jigglypuff guides on the internet and I read something about wavedashing and the guide creator posted something about smashboards. I wasn't too interested in learning advanced techniques since I just played against my cousin or cpu's who also sucked at the game. Later I started looking on youtube for melee stuff and that's when I saw videos of Mew2king. Holy crap, I thought they were playing the match in fast forward, I've never seen people play like that good. Now I was super interested, and saw videos of Bum, PC Chris, Chu Dat, Isai, the Germ, Zelgadis, and later Ken.

When I decided to finally go to smashboards, a lot of the topics were Brawl related since Sakurai had just started posting on the Dojo. Of course I was excited about Brawl, but right then, I wanted to get better at Melee. I saw smash wiki and read almost everything on there. I've visited smash wiki for about a year know, reading and rereading topics, memorizing the tier list, getting to learn about the pros, reading about all the advanced techniques, even looking at some crew stuff.

Now I know as much or more than the smash bros players at my high school, and there are a lot of nerdy smash bros players at my school, trust me. I'm currently the second best player at my school, the best being a fox player who has been playing competitively for about 5 years, and the 3rd best being an Asian kid who plays as marth who's been playing competitively for about 3 years, but I just got better than him.

Currently at my school we play Melee everyday in the mornings before school and after school. It's really nice because we only get about 2 Johns that come and say they suck because they play Brawl instead. We might bring Brawl on occasions but most of us like playing Melee more, so there's some proof that in some areas Melee isn't dead.

If you're wondering, I main Link, Marth, and Falco, but I can play any character competitively except DK and Bowser. I also do team Pichus with a friend ^_^

ILoveRice

Smash Apprentice
Well I play melee but i dont have my own gamecube... I've been playing Melee since... September 2007? And kept playing with items until January?... And i barely got a chance to play only at my friend's house once every 2 weeks but now I was thinking about getting a gamecube since there only 30 dollars now? to pratice and learn the techniques such as SHFFL and many more.. I also want to see if i could get better without the technique "Wavedash".

saintrage

Smash Cadet
i used to think i was the best at melee in my group of friends. Well except my friend thomas who used to own my falco with marth. Then one day in sept of '07 one of my friends on Shattered Galaxy said something about wavedashing, and i was like"ya i know what that is" when really i had no clue. So i got on youtube and searched out some of the competitive smash players and watched Bombsoldiers combo vid. I couldn't believe what i was seeing. i thought if i learned to play like this there is no way Thomas will beat me.

I ended up getting on smash boards in my college computer lab, and one of the guys there told me to check the regional boards for smashers in my area. Thats when i really learned how much i sucked and i've been practicing ever since.

I most definitely play Melee over Brawl. I wanted Brawl to be good and i tried to make it fun, but its just not as good as melee.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I have always loved SSBM, and among my friends I was always above average. I bought the game from a friend after borrowing the gamecube pretty much every other week, and I started playing for real at the end of 2007.

debaser

Smash Lord
I've been playing Melee for a little over a year, but I didn't start making myself learn competitive techniques until December last year. I was excited for Brawl, played it, got bored, picked up Melee again. It was a revolution. I'm obsessed with Melee now. I practice every day. I really hope it keeps revitalizing and a new generation of Melee'ers surface.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
this is nice to see there is at least SOME influx of new players. People say there are no more new players to melee.

Puts a tear of joy in my eye >.>

cmon, more new melee people, keep the thread going! :D
and try to get your friends into it :p

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
I guess I'm "new" to any kind of competitive play... really started on that in January, and a couple other people I know are getting involved in it too. Post-summer practice is going to be fun. :)

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I've been playing Melee since it came out on and off but I only started thinking of it competitively last year. Me and my friends have been getting better ever since in an effort to beat eachother. We're hoping to go to a couple tournaments in Cincinnati this summer if we can.

I.B

Smash Lord
Learned about AT's in the summer of '06. Attended my first tournament in January of '07, and I haven't stopped playing since.

Tr0n

Smash Cadet
First introduced to melee in september '07 i think, at school XD, been hooked ever since, such an awesome game!

Adroit_17

Smash Rookie
goin to my first tournament on June 14th in Chicago... and bringing another tourney virgin with me

I have viewed this board for a few years without posting... I figured why get into it when brawl is coming out soon.

well meh... brawl sucked so now im getting into it, shoulda done it a year or 2 ago but now me and my friend are going in it.

Kabii!

Smash Rookie
I got introduced to pro-melee in late 2007 at my high school. I thought it was awesome, and I was looking forward to brawl. After I got brawl I figured out that melee was much better, so I usually play melee instead of brawl with my friends.

M-80

Smash Cadet
i played smash when i was about 9 and used young link first and i liked what the game was about and i beat the game and thought i was the best but i stopped and then about a year ago my friend taught me how to play again becuse i forgot how to play and i just took what he gave me and started on my own journey and bought my own gc with melee and practiced and beat alot of my friends but not the one who taught me......then....i learned about wave dashing from him and it took me a while to get good at it and then soon i learned about all the at and after that i beat all my friends and i just started playing competitively which i guess is too late cause brawl is out but i dont like brawl as much as melee but hey i can dream

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
Stop spamming, then.

I made a question moreof a solution.

How is the Brawl numbers going to be depleted depending to new Melee players?

Hm?
It won't, and thats not what im trying to do? I'm just curious to see if there are still new Melee players coming in at all, since people say there is no more influx of new Melee players. Since I am technically a newer Melee player, i was curious to see if i was the only one.

Nonetheless, it is an irrelevant question

M-80 said:
i played smash when i was about 9 and used young link first and i liked what the game was about and i beat the game and thought i was the best but i stopped and then about a year ago my friend taught me how to play again becuse i forgot how to play and i just took what he gave me and started on my own journey and bought my own gc with melee and practiced and beat alot of my friends but not the one who taught me......then....i learned about wave dashing from him and it took me a while to get good at it and then soon i learned about all the at and after that i beat all my friends and i just started playing competitively which i guess is too late cause brawl is out but i dont like brawl as much as melee but hey i can dream
LoL wall of text, but awesome to see another new player nonetheless.

Polyamorous

Smash Rookie
This is by far the friendliest forum I've ever been to even though people are still hostile and condescending here. I think I began playing back in '06 though, I've only began to play seriously last year. I don't have much competition to actually get better though. You can't exactly utilize "unpredictability" if you don't have anyone to play. Yet, there's barely anyone to play. With all these advanced techs learned, it's still not uncommon for me to lose to someone who plays the game a lot yet doesn't know a single tech. I seriously need some people to play. Brooklyn boy here =P

AfroTastic

Smash Apprentice
Semi new to the competitive melee scene just too late the get good at it now my friend plays brawl so thats what we play but he has yet to realise that these two games are so completely different games Tech, skill, and glitch wise.

Melee>Brawl I choose the fast paced combo crazy game that it SSBM.

Shroomed

Smash Master
i'm all about the melee scene, screw brawl......i been playin melee (actually playing with SHFFL and all that) since about February 07......hooked on this crap

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I started taking melee seriously the week before brawl's American release. My idea was like, "I should get good enough at melee that if they're playing brawl at a smashfest but also melee, I want to be able to play both games."

too bad after a week I already realized how much more fun Melee was, lol

N355

Smash Apprentice
I think my eyes have been opened, I have recently been teetering on the edge between which game to stick with, and now I think I am going back to melee. It all makes sense now. . .
Just because a new game in a fighting series comes out doesn't mean everyone has to shift, which is what I originally thought. It is sort of like street fighter, or how some people still compete with snes mario kart.
Melee is a much deeper game period.
melee > brawl
brawl=casual playing
melee=deep competitive gameplay, something brawl can never really have, especially since hitstun is reduced which eliminates many combo possibilities. The ATs in melee gave you so many options, now in brawl where are those options?? exactly, there aren't many compared to melee. the fact that sakurai doesn't want smash to be competitive and added bull crap like tripping in brawl sickens me. I was going to say soemthing else too but forgot, oh well

Rigor Mortis

Smash Journeyman
got melee the year it came out. Bored. Started pllaying competitivly at 06 summer. Got real good with falco. Melee>brawl. Though im playing brawl because if it turns out to be competitive ill be ready ;D

nikili

Smash Rookie
hi guys I use captain falcon and i'd like to know how to cancel the triple A after performing the knee, i've seen silent spectre doing it many times but i dont know how to do it!!!

aRes_fuRy

Smash Cadet
I guess I am new in the way I am dedicated to improvement. I have had melee for quite a while now, although I was just casual. About 2 years back a got into melee and found this site, and learned basic ATs. I was a newcomer for about 2 months. I just got back into in may 08', and now i am able to multishine, waveshine, SHFFL, and I'm dedicated to serious improvement in both tech skill and mindgames.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
hi guys I use captain falcon and i'd like to know how to cancel the triple A after performing the knee, i've seen silent spectre doing it many times but i dont know how to do it!!!
you have to be hitting something to do it, do A A and with the last A, hit Z, R, or L at the same time

aRes_fuRy

Smash Cadet
It is actually simple, you just have to do it slower, i know slow in melee doesn't work, but that's how I do it. It is like A-A---A, that's the best way I can explain it. Also try reading the uber pro faclon guide in the character specific forums, it has a good explanation in there.

Skler

Smash Master
All you do is hold down A during the third hit (and one of the first two hits needs to connect, or both of them) to do the gentleman. It's something like that, but I'm not sure which hit needs to connect.

Top Bottom