• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any new characters you planned to main but didn't/don't?

xExcel

Smash Apprentice
Of course with returning characters it probably wasn't hard to figure out whether or not you wanted to use them, as most of them got better and only a few took some nerfs. But before you can get a feel for the character it's not as easy. Personally I was set on maining Palutena and Robin but both ended up being pretty slow (I prefer faster characters) and when I realized you couldn't use a custom moveset on Palutena in online play I gave up. Robin I actually used alot at first but Thoron ended up not being a good enough kill move. I'm pretty sure upwards of 140% is the threshold for a thoron to send someone off screen. Of course (s)he has other killmoves but I was really expecting a charge special to be able to kill at a decent percentage.

How bout you guys?

Slyphoria

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SquidWithGlasses
3DS FC
4184-1884-8690
Bowser Jr is the main one. I was expecting to love him, but...I just don't really like his fighting style.

Everyone else, I was right about though.

Thoron's not the kill move. It's a damaging move, but Arc Thunder right before it is better for it than Thoron. Basically all of the Levin Sword attacks are kill moves though.

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
I was looking forward to greninja, but little Mac fits my hit-and-run playstyle better. I also wanted to use diddy, as I mained him in brawl, but he feels weird this game, idk how to use him right, and all of his moves are clunky and hit differently... :/

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I was not as thrilled with Wii Fit Trainer as I thought I'd be. She's fun but a little too awkward for my tastes.

Annethyst

Smash Rookie
Robin most definitely. I tried but I work better with faster characters. I legitimately tried too man.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Wii Fit trainer. Just can't get used to her normals.

And at first, Ike. But then I adjusted my spacing accordingly, and usmash still rocks so yep.

Cherubas

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0774-4746-9812
Well, the two I expected to main are Bowser Jr and Ness, and those are the two I've been successfully maining online. However there are characters I expected to like more than I actually do.

Like Mega Man. I'm not sure what I was expecting, his moveset makes total sense, but his biggest kill options seem to be the uppercut (which requires you to hump your opponent before you use it, which is risky because you could get caught... with a lawsuit...), the side smash (which allows Mega Man to glow with a huge "KILL ME" sign just before he uses it against any character who can reflect), and throwing your opponent off the stage followed by trying to spike them (which is what I usually have to do).

Robin is overall about as good as I expected him to be, though not in the ways I expected. He is slow, as others have pointed out, but he's got some pretty good smash attacks. I don't think he's bad, not at all, I just didn't expect him to play the way he does. I dunno. I thought he'd be a bit quicker (so he could actually stay 3 steps ahead) and I thought his spells would be a little stronger.

I guess Dark Pit would count as a character I was disappointed with too, cause I went from hoping that MAYBE he was an original character, to hearing stories that he was a clone of Pit from Brawl, to finding out that he might be the cloniest clone of all smash 3ds clones (I'm pretty sure that canonically he's an actual clone, right?). Still I hoped he would be something else, and I hoped that Pit would have more kill potential in this game since he felt weak in that department in Brawl.

I believe that everyone else in the game either feels as good as I expected them to or better (except maybe Pikachu, he feels a little weaker than I remember).

RadiantTactician

Defender of the Outrealms
NNID
smashergal426
3DS FC
0946-3031-1836
Switch FC
SW-4594-4881-1993
Greninja was one I really wanted to become proficient with. He belongs to the family line of my favorite starter Pokémon in XY, and his ninja techniques looked so cool at first. I got to playing around with his moveset, but nothing clicked for me at all. I ended up self-destructing with him a lot... :urg: Rosalina would be another; I always end up losing the Luma pretty quickly, which kinda defeats the duo nature of her character.

OnettGirl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Antagonistgreen
3DS FC
4742-5570-4170
Shulk is probably the one newcomer I wanted to play but just couldn't understand him. I'm sure if I worked with him more i'd probably start to understand his game, but he's just a bit hard for me to get used to. I might work with him more but right now other characters are taking priority.

(I'm pretty sure that canonically he's an actual clone, right?).
Technically yes he was created when Pit went to destroy the Mirror of Truth in Chapter 5. The Mirror of Truth creates a perfect copy of whatever goes through it. Pit decided to be stylish and break the mirror with a karate kick which incidentally made him go through the mirror before it broke, thus creating Dark Pit aka Pittoo.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I was really set on maining Wii Fit Trainer prior to release but recently, I've found that I simply have a really difficult time winning with her. Despite it, I'm still reluctant to give up on her. Her awkward hitboxes actually intrigue me more than anything. Her F-Tilt in particular is really great. But at the moment, Jigglypuff is much more of my secondary main than her.

Last edited:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I included Palutena in my "Smash Mains" initially, but after using her for a while, I just couldn't get the hang of her, so wah.

GG Light Goddess. :4palutena:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
:4palutena: - Palutena's defensive moveset/play style isn't my thing and I don't care about custom moves. Plus, I dislike how she is portrayed in Smash Bros.

CrazyChaos

Smash Cadet
The characters that I really wanted to play (Yoshi, Rosalina, Charizard, and Lucario) all feel just fine and are my 4 main characters with Yoshi at the top just as I had anticipated. Rosalina is still tricky, but I am sure it will be fine after I get more gameplay in with her.

However, the characters that only slightly interested me (Robin, Shulk, Bowser Jr., and Villager) did not feel fit for me, so I never play them aside from maybe Villager very rarely. I never had intentions of maining any of them, but they are the closest to fit this topic.

Last edited:

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
Little Mac and Greninja.

Little Mac is still a possibility, but I don't want to play a character with such a bad rep right now.

Greninja is someone I love, but I just can't work them, especially Shadow Sneak.

Shen_Jehuty

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2423-3102-6095
I was really hoping to main Mega Man and Greninja, but Mega Man ended up being pretty low tier after playing the demo, and I cannot get used to Greninja to save my life (in the right hands though, he is a beast!).

I was also hoping that Shulk and/or Lucina would become the first sword character I actually liked, but I still am not a fan of the swordies :(

Raggnarok

Smash Rookie
I was very exited to play as Little Mac hoping to make some crazy ground combos, but after Years of playing with characters like Kirby, i had a hard time playing without jumping and found Captain Falcon, Rosalina and Lucina/Marth more fun to use.

mangamusicfan

Dark lord
NNID
mangamusicfan
3DS FC
1891-2073-5876
Shulk.
I really thought I whould love him but i can't play with him.
Stil going to try it though.

Xerneas

Smash Cadet
Palutena- she was the one newcomer I really wanted that got in (although I'm happy with most of the newcomers even though I didn't really want them initially) and she seemed really fun to play from her trailer, but playing her in the actual game is just not as fun. She has potential to be really good and fun, but sadly it's locked away in custom moves that can't be used online. I also don't like her voice, in Uprising and the trailer it was perfect, but in Smash it just sounds off. I don't hate her, she can be fun to play sometimes, but I definitely won't play her as much as I thought I would at first

Wii Fit Trainer I'm not disappointed with at all, but she seems a lot harder to learn how to play than most other characters. Her hitboxes are very weird and it will take a lot of practice to figure out how to use them right, but she's very fun to play, I love her voice acting and animations, it's like she's trying to help you learn yoga but is completely oblivious and is instead hitting you in the face over and over, it's great

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
:4pikachu:: During the entirety of the demo my thought was, "I'll love Pikachu after tap jump is off." When I got the full game, I did love him..... for a little while. Then I went online and got my butt handed to me on a silver platter and I realized that I'm just way to obvious with Pikachu. But I'm so imbedded in my ways with Pikachu that for the life of me, I cannot change the way I play him. It's unfortunate but that seems to be the way it is. -_-

:4greninja:: I really wanted to like him. He's the new poke on the block and he's bada** with all his glory. He looked like he was my style too. When I finally tried him....... I liked him but for some reason, it just never worked out. My best friend said he wants to main Greninja and that was the final nail in the coffin. My friend and I have this unofficial rule that states we cannot play the same character. He also took my dark pit -_-

Last edited:

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
Robin, Lil Mac, Lucina, Marth

Captain Falcon, Greninja and Megaman came out enjoyable as planned though.

Marth and Lucy though... the way I play them just isn't comfy without c-sticking.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I've been fairly vocal pre-release about how I didn't find any of the newcomers very exciting from a moveset standpoint except Greninja due to them being too complicated and whacky, I prefer simple movesets. Sadly I wasn't surprised in the slightest, I don't like playing as any of the newcomers aside from Greninja (and Lucina, but she's a clone ya know), some even came out worse than I expected like Palutena and Wii Fit Trainer. Greninja on the other hand actually turned out to be more fun than I initially expected, so I guess that's a positive.

Last edited:

ChooChoo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4399-0342-2350
Robin: Still trying to get the hang of her. I just don't perform well enough using her online to call her a 'main', but she's a first choice for offline play.
Rosalina: The apparently suicidal Luma killed her for me the day Japanese date was broken. It feels like you need great space awareness and expertise to optimally play as her, and I lack both.
Bowser Jr: Probably the biggest disappointment for me. I loved his pre-European release footage but when I got my hands on him... I didn't enjoy it at all. Which is a shame because I had already got over the "why the hell doesn't he use his brush?" phase.

All in all, these are all great, refreshing additions to the franchise as both characters and movesets, and I'm really thrilled that they are in.

no1butmenotu

Smash Cadet
I thought that I would easily adapt to my favorite Brawl characters, however I don't like Pikachu and DDD as much as I did in the previous game. I thought that I would like Greninja, but his fighting style doesn't fit me. Palutena's fighting style fits me very well despite the fact that I had no interest in using her. I didn't expect to like Zelda as much as I do, as well as Kirby. I thought that I would like Lucina more than Marth, but that's not the case (Despite the fact that they are practically the same). I liked Dr. Mario in Melee, but not so much in this game. Luigi feels different compared to brawl, however, I like him just as much as i did in the previous game due to his change with his down B special. I don't like toon link as much as I did in brawl, due to his change with his down air. I liked the bouncy effect that it had in brawl compared to how it is now. I don't like the Villager that much despite the fact that I was interested in using them.

Minty_

Smash Apprentice
DDD. He was one of my mains in Brawl and he's received significant buffs, but I'm just not feeling him this time around. And it's not the lack of chain grabs as I never used those anyway. I just miss his old B-Air and Waddle Dee toss.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
It was always my plan to main random select like I did in Brawl and PM, but due to For Glory I got sucked into the concept of having a main. It was no fun, so I'm back to Random now.

leeprtr

Smash Apprentice
NNID
leeprtr
3DS FC
4210-4734-6362
Lil mac and greninja
There fast, but theres no weight to the hits...

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Ahhh, here's a good thread.

Bowser Jr. : Too weirrdddd
Little Mac : I like playing as him casually but beyond that, meh
Robin: I can't handle this man until I get a GC controller because SMASH AERIALS

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Wanted to play :4shulk:as a secondary, but his attacks are really, REALLY slow. I'll see how it goes, I'm not giving it up yet.

Also wanted to try :4palutena:, but seeing how she can't use the custom moves she's designed around online, it takes away the point. Besides, she seems like she isn't my type of character.

Finsom25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
finsom25
3DS FC
3780-9567-3401
:4jigglypuff: rest in my heart jiggs....

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Mega Man, back when he was first revealed. I'm a huge fan of his home series and he was the only newcomer I initially cared about. I remember watching the Direct where he was revealed with my friend and calling him as a main. Over time, the hype just wore down what with my favorite characters getting deconfirmed left and right and whatnot, and when I finally tried him, his moveset just felt "lame" to me. I don't know how else to describe it.

Munchy

Smash Rookie
From the get-go, I knew I was going to main Sheik and have Zelda as a reserve. I was so hyped for Little Mac, and when they announced him, I knew I was going to main him. I did main him, but only for a couple of days, he's fun to play as but he can seem just too risky for me.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Robin. Robin was, by far, the newcomer I wanted most for the game and his reveal trailer made me the most excited I think I had ever been during the pre-release period.

Then I played him.

Thank you Sakurai for making Robin the slowest thing to ever exist. He has the (supposedly) tied slowest running speed with Jigglypuff, an air speed that whilst probably better, still is crap and even most of Robin's attacks have a startup of at least 10 frames. Yeah, no thanks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom