• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any ideas of how to deal with link?

Godwin_Point

Smash Cadet
Hello !

I'm a luigi main and i'm currently abroad for a few months, so I'll be spending time in the lab with the 20xx pack.

In May however I'll be going to a local tournament, and the most fearsome player happens to be a link main(top 5 in France actually)

I don't expect to beat him, but if you had some general advices or things to avoid when facing a link I'd like to hear them(it's not to easy finding info on him : p )

Also, last time i got annihilated by a ganon main(he was mostly 3-stocking me) so if you have any tips for Ganon it could help me wash the shame :o)

Thanks !

(Funny situation, I wanted to post a video of a recent match by the link main i mentioned earlier... But I have to have at least ten post to "post Link" on this forum )
Look up Aether vs Samplay on youtube if you want to see him play.

silkys

Smash Cadet
With Ganon you gotta go for safe easy edgeguards and not much else. I like to hold ledge drop back air and grab the ledge again or if he's recovering high calmly meet him and dair him. Also be really patient in neutral and NEVER over extend or else you're looking at an easy 60% out of nothing. Just wait him out and look for mistakes you can capitalize on. As for Link I have no idea but I hope you have luck getting some help. Good luck at your next tournament!

Godwin_Point

Smash Cadet
Thanks !
I just discovered that you could keep your invincibility with drop ledge bair !
I'll try to play more patiently to avoid stupid punish by ganon : o)

Yann J.Ridin

Smash Apprentice
Switzerland, La Suisse, Pays de Neuchâtel
Luigi main in France? You re not Kelasius are you?

Sorry, i don't have a lot of experiences with thoses matchups. I just play against a link main the first time in CWC and it was Aether of course... He is really good yup. In both matchups, Luigi have the advantage of the speed/mobility, i guess it's most important point

Godwin_Point

Smash Cadet
Haha no sorry : o)
I just started with the "competitive scene", only been to 2 tournaments as of now !
There's really nobody playing in my region

BatSox

Smash Rookie
Haha no sorry : o)
I just started with the "competitive scene", only been to 2 tournaments as of now !
There's really nobody playing in my region
Hey I'm new here too (this is actually my first ever smashboards post) but I have some experience with this matchup.

Things to watch out for:

-Link will often throw a bomb at the ledge as he is recovering. If he times it correctly, your only chance of grabbing ledge is to grab early. This makes it tough to do an invincible ledge hopped aerial, since your invincibility will have worn off.

-If you mess up your shield pressure, he will hit you with the up-b OOS. The most obvious option here is to just be really careful aerialing his shield.

-You can get juggled pretty easily by uair, so be careful coming down.

-Don't get grabbed. Grab is slow and you should be able to avoid it. If you don't avoid it, you will get dthrow->upB or dthrow->uair.

-I haven't even mentioned projectiles yet. You just have to feel out which options he's covering with them. I'm not qualified to give you advice on handling projectiles (I can barely catch a turnip.)

-Link has some aerials (I think nair?) that don't stay out very long. When link does a full-hopped nair, the attack will finish in time for him to pop out another nair. You need to be patient when link is throwing aerials out/moving around in the air above you.

Opportunities you should be looking for:

-Punish his upB whenever you can. It only sends out one hit box that lasts forever, so if you shield it early, you can walk right up to him and have your way. In fact, you could actively bait out the upB. Example: late nair->shield->(grab or more pressure if he does nothing/dodge if he grabs/punish if he upBs your shield/follow him if he rolls/escape or aerial if he jumps) This is actually a really good situation for Luigi now that I think about it.

-Though he'll try to keep you away from him with other projectiles while he's pulling a bomb, this is a great opportunity to hit him if you breach his wall of projectiles.

Once you win neutral , you can juggle him like sheik.

Also prepare to be camped.

Good luck!

Godwin_Point

Smash Cadet
Thank you for this in depth answer !

If i nairon his shield, I'll have time to put mine up before his upB comes out?

BatSox

Smash Rookie
Thank you for this in depth answer !

If i nairon his shield, I'll have time to put mine up before his upB comes out?
If you do a *late* nair. I mean nair as you're about to hit the ground. I'm not aware of any character that can hit you fast enough after a late nair. The main risk with that is that you can get hit between your 1st and 2nd aerials.

scuba_steve757

Smash Rookie
Look up vudujin vs stro on YouTube. I know pal link is different but really study how vudujin approaches that character and it might help hopefully.

Godwin_Point

Smash Cadet
Thank you for both set !

(BTW BluEG, I really like your play and all the contribution you make to this luigi board. Helped me a lot of time)

Top Bottom