• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any advice for a secondary?

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Hi folks,

Falcon and Ganondorf are pretty much my mains in Smash 4 now, but I think I should complement those two with a third main. I seem to have a lot of trouble online against Robin, Link and Toon Link, and Duck Hunt Duo. Projectile spammers in general, lol. What character fares good against those? I really wanna try to broaden my playstyle a bit, any suggestions?

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Try Rosalina. She has a move (down B) that absorbs all of those characters' annoying projectiles, forcing them to approach you and get hit by Luma.

Edit: Plus, if you really want to "broaden your playstyle", you can't go wrong with Rosie; she's unlike any other character in Smash and thus, *totally* different from Falcon and Ganondorf.

Last edited:

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Haha, I actually would love to play Rosalina as well, but she's just so... weird to control, I guess I just can't vary my playstyle too much :/

Honestly, Falcon has all the tools you need to deal with projectile spammers. With Ganondorf it's a little harder, since he lacks speed...

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
For comfort try another rushdown character, i.e. Diddy, Sonic, or one with a good offense/defense balance like ROB. They kind of give you that same free flowing feel of playing CF

GrapeSodaGuru

Smash Rookie
I would suggest Sonic. He's got a really good set of moves that let you put good pressure on projectile spamming. A lot of his moves just set you flying in at them, and it really gives them no time to sit back and just spam.

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
Go for a projectile character to make up for Falcon's lack of projectiles. Or just work on the hard matchups with Falcon.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Too early in the meta to really say for sure.

I wouldn't go with a character like Sonic/Fox because then you're still going to have the same trouble you have with falcon as they play rather similarly. If you want to counter spam, Toon Link and the Pits seem good. Falco has a projectile that can cause approaches and has a very good ground game, as well as follow-ups similar to C.Falcon (think throw -> Uair). ROB has several projectiles and seems very balanced. Sheik is an option too, as she's got a similar playstyle as well as a projectile.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Yeah, I'd say Sheik is the better option, considering she's just so fast and hits as fast as Falcon... although it's a little bit harder to KO with Sheik.

EvilCheesypoof

Smash Rookie
Probably not the best option but I love using Villager as a secondary. It's a completely different playstyle than Captain Falcon so it throws people off guard especially if they were expecting Captain Falcon. Plus being able to pocket projectiles and have a good air game is nice and fun.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
WARNING ABOUT SECONDARIES

This was a common experience for Falcon players in Melee where if they would have characters like Fox, in which case they would eventually find very little reason to use Falcon again (at least in a competitive, tournament setting).

Be careful with who you decide to secondary. If it's a character that is straight up better than Falcon in almost all aspects, then you're going to find yourself less inclined to play Falcon.

Gravy said a quote that has stuck with me since. "To main Douglas your biggest organs have to be your heart and your balls".

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
WARNING ABOUT SECONDARIES

This was a common experience for Falcon players in Melee where if they would have characters like Fox, in which case they would eventually find very little reason to use Falcon again (at least in a competitive, tournament setting).

Be careful with who you decide to secondary. If it's a character that is straight up better than Falcon in almost all aspects, then you're going to find yourself less inclined to play Falcon.

Gravy said a quote that has stuck with me since. "To main Douglas your biggest organs have to be your heart and your balls".
Well I must have balls of steel then, since I main Ganon and Douglas. :p

Patrick Ray

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheAmericaMan
3DS FC
5129-2776-3291
Typically Marth or Peach for me. Marth to take on range characters because it makes most match ups a joke. Peach for when I want to counter players that I don't believe can deal with the match up.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Typically Marth or Peach for me. Marth to take on range characters because it makes most match ups a joke. Peach for when I want to counter players that I don't believe can deal with the match up.
Marth was my main in Melee and to a lesser extend in Brawl. But HOLY MOLY, did they screw him up on the 3DS. Maybe I will pick him up again on the Wii U version, but I cannot play as Marth anymore.

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
Be a real man and quit using whatever garbage non cfal character you're using. I mostly say that to victra's point, that most characters are technically "Better" than captain falcon, but you want to look cool while you win, and almost never be able to have your opponent justifiably say "You only beat me because of the character you're using", then captain falcon is for you.

Last edited:

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
I'm not as manly as true Falcon players, but I have been using him as a secondary along with Fox and Kirby. Marth is my boy (as I think you'd be able to tell) and although they removed his combo-ability, he is still a very viable character. I had little trouble getting into him on this version. I'd say, if you did like him in Melee or Brawl, give him another shot.

Watulio

Smash Cadet
I mostly use the dorf, but for something quick AND strong other than cap I go for sonic. The guy can reliably deal 25% combos with his spin dashes or jigglypuff with those awesome aerials

Top Bottom