• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Angel Land's Strongest Human, Magnus, enters the fray! -Assist Trophy confirmed-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
MAGNUS

One of the few human characters to appear in the entire Kid Icarus franchise, Magnus is labelled as the strongest human in Angel Land in his debut game, Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Storywise, he is part of a mercenary band fighting against the Underworld, as such, he appears in the game as an ally for Pit, both fighting against Medusa (and later, Hades).

When Pit's soul gets trapped in the Ring of Chaos, Magnus eventually picks it up and his body becomes under Pit's control, even though they can still communicate with each another. As such, he appears as a playable character during that part of the game.
Later he appears as a boss, testing Pit's fighting capabilities.

As far as his fighting capabilities go, he isn't much different than other sword users already introduced in Smash Bros. He has a quite large sword and like the original game, his attacks are slow, but powerful.

He doesn't possess any special abilities compared to other characters, but he possesses wind based abilities as shown in his boss battle as he uses a tornado to bring Pit close to him. His weapon, when wielded by Pit, can also shoot wind based projectiles, so these could be implemented in his moveset too.

Magnus's Pros and Cons:
Pros:
- New character from a revived series.
- Playable character in the original game.

Cons:
- Another sword user, which the Smash Bros. roster already has many, and some people may like other fighting styles. A similar situation happens with lots of Fire Emblem characters too.
- His role isn't much memorable than other Kid Icarus characters, appearing in only three chapters out of 25. Characters like Palutena, Viridi, Medusa, Hades and Dark Pit appear more times than Magnus himself, overshadowing him.

Depending on Sakurai's position about his own characters, it's ambiguous whether that's something favoring or not his inclusion.

Music associated with Magnus:
Magnus's Theme - Kid Icarus: Uprising

If anyone has any suggestions on Magnus's possible appearence in the next Smash Bros., post them here! Movesets, color swaps and the like are welcome!

D

Deleted member

Doesn't possess special abilities?
I suppose creating whirlwinds to bring Pit closer to him in his and Goal's test by Dyntos isn't special?

Nor is the sword's overall ability to shoot tornados? :laugh:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Doesn't possess special abilities?
I suppose creating whirlwinds to bring Pit closer to him in his and Goal's test by Dyntos isn't special?

Nor is the sword's overall ability to shoot tornados? :laugh:
Didn't remember the wind based moves... silly me. I haven't played Uprising for a while, so... thanks for the notice!

EDIT: Already updated the OP with the changes.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
inb4MagnusreplacingIkeargument

Personally I think Magnus should not be in Super Smash Bros yet. Maybe when the 5th game in the series comes along in 8 years or so.

Hopefully we'll get some more screentime of Magnus in the future, with maybe some more hot spring shenanigans with Pit and his steamed sacred buns.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Magnus' wind powers can be done in Multiplayer also when using his sword. :awesome:

So moveset can be done from there.

D

Deleted member

From what I've seen, he already has a neutral combo and a dash attack as shown when you play as him in the Ring of Chaos chapter.

Though from what I see of him, it'd be very interesting for him to have a style similar to Zabuza or Kisame from the Naruto Clash of Ninja titles.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
From what I've seen, he already has a neutral combo and a dash attack as shown when you play as him in the Ring of Chaos chapter.

Though from what I see of him, it'd be very interesting for him to have a style similar to Zabuza or Kisame from the Naruto Clash of Ninja titles.
these two moves obviously could be A combo and dash attack respectively.

then Neutral B would be Magnus Club's projectile and Down B for the tornado, drawing foes close.

jigglover

Smash Lord
inb4MagnusreplacingIkeargument

Personally I think Magnus should not be in Super Smash Bros yet. Maybe when the 5th game in the series comes along in 8 years or so.

Hopefully we'll get some more screentime of Magnus in the future, with maybe some more hot spring shenanigans with Pit and his steamed sacred buns.
Sakurai seems very negative on having another Kid Icarus game. I can't find a link at this second, maybe later, but it goes roughly like this (this is from memory): I've done my part, I'm leaving the series now. Maybe somebody else will pick up the series in 15 years or so.' I don't know if anyone else has heard this.
What I'm trying to say here, is that it's now or never for the KI characters, and unless 2 get in (which I highly doubt) then wel'll (probably) just be getting Palutena.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai seems very negative on having another Kid Icarus game. I can't find a link at this second, maybe later, but it goes roughly like this (this is from memory): I've done my part, I'm leaving the series now. Maybe somebody else will pick up the series in 15 years or so.' I don't know if anyone else has heard this.
What I'm trying to say here, is that it's now or never for the KI characters, and unless 2 get in (which I highly doubt) then wel'll (probably) just be getting Palutena.
Wow, that's dissapointing. I was hoping for a Kid Icarus game to be on the WiiU. It was cool to see Nintendo using a "new" franchise, besides a few casual games they really haven't had new series since Pikmin and Animal Crossing.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Hate to break everyones hopes and dreams of keeping a franchise on hiatus for another 25 years (even though it's technically 21 years), but there can easily be another developer that can work on Kid Icarus without a problem. Remember that Nintendo is a large company and has many development teams, so there is not shortages what so ever on people. Not to mention keeping a franchise on hiatus again after having a successful release is very cruel.

Also Sakurai hating the idea of sequels isn't anything new. He was forced to develop Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and the main reason he left Hal Laboratory was because "sequelization of the industry" was holding him down.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
Hate to break everyones hopes and dreams of keeping a franchise on hiatus for another 25 years (even though it's technically 21 years), but there can easily be another developer that can work on Kid Icarus without a problem. Remember that Nintendo is a large company and has many development teams, so there is not shortages what so ever on people. Not to mention keeping a franchise on hiatus again after having a successful release is very cruel.

Also Sakurai hating the idea of sequels isn't anything new. He was forced to develop Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and the main reason he left Hal Laboratory was because "sequelization of the industry" was holding him down.
Isn't he working for the wrong company if he doesn't like sequels? While not all of them are true sequels, Nintendo is very keen on their franchises and rarely creates completely new IPs.

D

Deleted member

I feel inspiried to make a Magnus moveset now.
Since his sword/club has apparent wind powers, it shouldn't be hard to come up with some Sakurai'd specials outside the tornado shooting and the cyclone that draws people in.

Final Smash would clearly be summoning Goal to the stage to assist him in combat as if she was some exclusive Assist Trophy only he could use (but she cannot fall off the stage; if she does, she simply teleports back on a platform to continue her assault until her time on the field is up).

Then yeah, there's his combo and dashing attack from Uprising.
Other moves, I will look to Naruto: Clash of Ninja's Zabuza and Kisame for inspiration.
Magnus just seems made for Smash, IMO.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
This is probably going to happen just because Sakurai in all honesty. It doesn't matter how bland the character is; Sakurai seems to be a huge final fantasy fan so this character spawning from that affection and his fondness for biased character selection makes it all the more likely.

jigglover

Smash Lord
What about Captain Falcon in 64? I know part of the reason was because of beta fighter, but I thought that the reason it was falcon and not Ganondorf (or someone) was because of bias.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
What about Captain Falcon in 64? I know part of the reason was because of beta fighter, but I thought that the reason it was falcon and not Ganondorf (or someone) was because of bias.
He'll add characters of Nintendo games that he likes, which is shown by his statements that he doesn't think Golden Sun is deserving but a game like Earthbound is, but he isn't biased towards his own characters or characters from games he's played a role in.
It took him 3 games to add Metaknight and Dedede when they were among the top requested characters for Melee in Japan(all the other highly requested ones got in). Pit was only deemed worthy because he got immense support after melee.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I know, Habanero said that Sakurai wasn't biased to any characters, Captain Falcon was a good example. I don't get why people say KI is Sakurai's series. It really isn't, it could be a series Sakurai adopted, but it is in fact Itio's (?) series, the one that invented Wario. 2 Kirby series characters in brawl is anything but biased, especially since in melee there were 3 new LoZ character, 2 new mario characters, 2 new pokemon characters, if there was enough resources for the johto trainer in melee then it would have been either 4 new pokemon characters if Pichu didn't get in, 5 if it did. Kirby completely got a miss in melee, despite being one of the most popular and requested series' at the time, then and now. You know how Sakurai had some dedede models and moves prepared if he couldn't get permission for Roy to be in? I always think it would have been better if Roy hadn't got in and dedede had...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Kid Icarus was created by the same person who created Game & Watch, Dr. Mario, Metroid, Fire Emblem, the Super Mario Land series, meaning the creation of Daisy and Wario, and the Game Boy. That person is Gunpei Yokoi (RIP).

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Okay, he's probably an assist trophy.

Palutena and Medusa are a lot more likely.

But unlike either of them, you actually play as Magnus. and Uprising's look and feel can be very smash-like when you're using melee attacks. His I'm-sure-not-compensating-for-anything sword is so massive that it'd be unlike the seven other sword users in the game. And there was no thread to support him. I support most characters in smash brothers, I'd definitely support him.

Damn Sakurai for making every character in Kid Icarus Uprising so cool and feel so worthy of joining the fray.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Is it? I searched and everything, scrolled through eight pages of search results under the name Magnus and was shocked I didn't find a thread. But thank you for telling me this, uhm, can I delete a thread on this?

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Yay thread merge!

Ok, so I've conquered Uprising on my "Highest difficulty possible" deathless run. Holy heck it's awesome playing as Magnus!

Magnus could be somewhat like Ike, I suppose. Though that's what I'm afraid of. Magnus could avoid this if they put in the charged shots when Pit wields Magnus's Club for special moves, and the Tornado could be like a recovery!

Post a moveset later today.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
A lot of "leaks" in the game are fake. Palutena and the character selection screen are the only ones that possibly are real. Lucario and Mewtwo in smash? Great!
The character select screen has been proven fake. The Yoshi is just another artwork flipped.

andimidna

Smash Master
Just my opinion... but if Kid Icarus gets a 2nd newcomer after the definite Palutena, it should be Medusa.
And after that I'd still prefer Hades and Pandora...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom