• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Analysis: Sing, Custom UpB's, and Sing Stopped Attacks

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
General Use of Sing

Sing Cancel via Ledge Grab:
As most people know, you can cancel sing by grabbing a ledge. You can thus do a ledgejump, allow the first hitbox of sing to come out, and regrab the ledge - a simple trick many know from Melee. Unlike in melee, an opponent is allowed to easily go for the ledge when recovering and is never really force to land on the stage through edgehogging, making this trick almost entirely useless. Along with the fact that you do not regain invincibilty when regrabbing a ledge, this trick is both ineffective and risky. You can occasionally catch players if they roll towards the ledge right as you do this, but otherwise this will lose to practically any attack done from the stage and every recovery (because they will either take the ledge or land on the stage past the sing hitbox).

Sing Stopped Attacks:

"This videos shows how sing could potentially be applicable in a real match. Many of these clips took several tries, and that the opponent must be traveling at you right when an active hitbox for sing is out. Using sing like this in a real match is risky, and you will more often be hit then put the opponent to sleep unless your timing and reaction is incredible.

Not all possible moves are shown in this video. There are plenty of others which I left out by choice. Because sing only works on grounded opponents, practically any special attack where the opponent is considered 'grounded' can be cancelled with sing."

Again: Most of the applications shown in the video are very very difficult to pull off and are probably not worth doing in a serious competitive match. As shown in the clip with Bowser, you can jump and use sing to catch opponents going underneath you and more easily avoid being hit by the attack, however this is still a gimmick and will likely only work as long as your opponent doesn't expect it.

Sing Being Cancelled:
Certain attack will often connect with jigglypuff at the same time that the attack is cancelled and the opponent is put to sleep. In these cases, Jigglypuff will stop singing due to the effect of the attack. She can be hit, such as the example with DK's UpB or Pikachu's quick attack, or enter an animation/state from the attack which will be cancelled immediately afterwards. The later is seen clearly from Ganondorf's sideB (@0:54), where he would normally grab Jigglypuff, but is put to sleep causing Jiggs to break free and act immediately rather than having to finish the sing animation. This gives you significantly more time for followups.

Custom UpB Specials

Hyper Voice:
This replacement for sing does 4, 4, then 6 damage in place of the typical sing hitboxes which put your opponent to sleep. Unlike sing, Hyper Voice can hit airborne opponents due to it being a regular attack. However, you will rarely ever hit airborne opponents with this attacks, thus you're generally just replacing the huge reward of putting your opponent to sleep with a measly 4-6%. Not only that, but Hyper Voice is hugely punishable even on hit, and an opponent can easily hit you between the attacks, afterwards, or shield one of the hitboxes and grab.

Spinphony:
This replacement for sing, instead of putting your opponent to sleep, does a tiny amount of damage and forces your opponent to change direction and face away from Jigglypuff. It is also incredibly slow, laggy, but has larger hitboxes than the other types of Sing. This move is incredibly punishable, and generally bad. Your opponent can get hit by all three hits and still hit you with a mostly charged smash attack afterwards, them losing a mere 4% in the process. In every edgeguard situation, you are better off doing absolutely nothing than using Spinphony, because at least you can hit your opponent for trying to get back onto the stage instead of letting them get back for free and get a free attack on you. Even if you cancel spinphony on the ledge, it takes several jumps above the ledge to actually get a hitbox out because of how slow the attack is, and most recoveries will easily avoid the hitbox of spinphony. If you happen to hit them with it, this attack is not useful for gimps like Mario's cape because it does 1% and a tiny bit of knockback which gives any characters their upB back. The endlag from Spinphony prevents you from going offstage and hitting them further unless you ledge cancel it, but even if you do you're rarely in a good position to continue a ledgeguard ebcause of how close your opponent is and would have been better off just going off-stage in the first place. I've tested this move thoroughly, and am confident that it's practically useless competitively.

Conclusions

Jigglypuff's sing is more useful than it ever has been before. The hitboxes are larger, the effect of the sleep lasts longer, and people don't want to break their 3DS circle pads so nobody mashes out properly! :p But honestly, this move has potential as a gimmick and nothing more. You will not be able to hard counter any attacks, approaches, or playstyles with Sing. You can, however, catch an opponent off guard with Sing due to it's deceptive range, priority, and them not respecting it. Attempting to overuse this move will cause you to get punished a lot, so be careful. Otherwise, be happy that Sing might see some use here and there. Lets continue to explore ways to make this move work, and discuss any ways we've had success using this move.

Feel free to post any questions or thoughts below

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
I really want to know what Sakurai was thinking with Spinphony. At this point I'm pretty sure that it is THE worst move in the entire game...

Also it may seem to be a gimmick, but anything that beats Sonic's annoying spindash is good in my book.

Last edited:

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Does sing have a constant hitbox out? Or is it 3 hitboxes like in the other games? I assume the latter as an element of timing was mentioned. But if its a constant hitbox, Sing functions similar to a slower startup counter on grounded moves with a higher risk/reward output.

SyncNatsyu

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3007-8406-9326
Does sing have a constant hitbox out? Or is it 3 hitboxes like in the other games? I assume the latter as an element of timing was mentioned. But if its a constant hitbox, Sing functions similar to a slower startup counter on grounded moves with a higher risk/reward output.
its 3 hitboxes with a period of vulnerability inbetween

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Ugh, I figured as much, oh well. Although that makes it so much worse really >>

I was hoping on having a move I can react to Sonics spin dash with, oh well. Still better than the other 2 sings in my opinion. I really hope that you can't mash out fast enough at like 90+% to avoid a rest or smash attack. If people can't wake in time at a higher percent then I guess its ok barely.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Yeah, it's incredibly difficult to counter sonic's spindash with due to how fast he moves. For a similar reason, it was harder to catch Falcon side/downB than it was to catch Ganon's.

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I want to stress that because of the vulnerability periods and the fact that the first singbox doesn't come out very fast at all, along with the general speeds of the moves you're trying to cancel, in order to actually get it to work you'd have to know proper spacing(s) and timing(s) for each move so you can Sing appropriately. Note how Krynxe in most cases had the moves used in order to hit the third singbox; obviously opponents aren't going to just fling themselves at you by that time. In practice I've rarely ever gotten it to work as intended.

Some attacks like Flare Blitz and Ganon sideB are better candidates simply because they have a fixed charge period, rather than spin dash, Mac B, Ike sideB, etc where they can just wait out. Some of the moves are also way too dangerous to think about countering, like PK Thunder.

Unowninator

Smash Cadet
Just the other day, I did this (though unplanned) against Charizard's Flare Blitz, but on the Wii-U version. I saved the replay.

Although just an hour ago, I decided to try it again, and it failed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom