• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An unorthodox controller

PewterTwitch

Smash Rookie
I've looked around and couldn't really get a solid answer, and figured this'd be the place to post it. I've figured out a way to use an original Xbox controller on a GC/Wii, I know GCC's are the best but it's just my preference.

Am I going to catch any heat for this at tournaments, small or large? Most people Ive asked just say "if it's not banned, it's legal" but I don't know if there's some unwritten rule about this kind of thing, or if it's deemed "unsportsmanlike". More curiosity than anything.

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
I used a keyboard in a PM tournament with no issues. Apex ruleset for 64 explicitly allows any controller that does not have macros.

How exactly do you get an xbox controller to work on those things?

I can use any usb joystick device as input for N64/GC/Wii/WiiU with 0 frames of delay

Last edited:

PewterTwitch

Smash Rookie
Thanks Herbert, that's exactly what I wanted to read. I can't even fathom playing smash with a keyboard, though it sounds easier than Wii-mote + Nun-chuck. Also, how do you use a usb device for n64?

I've gotten the controller to work through a slight jenky set up of adapters. I found a discontinued Xbox to PS2 controller adapter that I had to order from Canada, then plug that into a PS2 to GCC from the same company and bam - Smashing with an S-Type(Best OG Xbox Controller). I haven't noticed any delay/lag, the set up just looks a little strange. But it's worth it, I've always preferred the (smaller) Xbox controllers.

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
you should really have just gotten a gc controller if you didnt have one, and gotten used to it. no heat would be recieved, and its better at whats it made for than the xbox controller

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Thanks Herbert, that's exactly what I wanted to read. I can't even fathom playing smash with a keyboard, though it sounds easier than Wii-mote + Nun-chuck. Also, how do you use a usb device for n64?

I've gotten the controller to work through a slight jenky set up of adapters. I found a discontinued Xbox to PS2 controller adapter that I had to order from Canada, then plug that into a PS2 to GCC from the same company and bam - Smashing with an S-Type(Best OG Xbox Controller). I haven't noticed any delay/lag, the set up just looks a little strange. But it's worth it, I've always preferred the (smaller) Xbox controllers.
I built my own general USB -> N64 / GC adapter.

Top Bottom