• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An Introduction to the Australian Smash Bros. Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Maybe he has options set so he can't see coloured text, but at the same time has his default colour text set to dark blue.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
it's not even that dark of a blue, it's just the contrast is ****ing terrible.

he's probably set it as his user colour which looks fine on whatever style he uses but looks crap on the default/what everyone else uses. this is why you don't mess with colour just cause you can, especially when there are like 20 different user styles. have more respect for the designers.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
lol sorry that wasn't my intention, just trying to be rational. :/

Alfonse

Smash Rookie
Hello... Don't know if anybody's out there... I've been playing smash since the 64 version came out, though melee is definitely my favourite. Just recently found out about the whole tournament scene, looking for info on that. Joining smash boards seemed like the obvious next step.

xBaHoO

Smash Rookie
NeW SmAsHeR

Hey all. Im pretty new to the competitive smash scene. Pretty keen to improve my Melee game. Anyone around the melbourne area (Preston) and around the city that would be willing to play on a regular basis?? Im going to be attending most of the regular local smash events as well. I was also at the couch warriors event earlier this year. :D

Redact

Professional Nice Guy

CrashOverride

Smash Cadet
How's it going guys? I'm living in Brisbane and looking to get back into the scene potentially. Haven't played in the past 3 years, but played competitive Melee from ~2004-2009 while I was living in the United States doing Uni. Just recently got the itch to play some more, so looking for some people to play against in Brisbane area. Looking forward to playing you all soon.

D.J Cat

Smash Lord
How's it going guys? I'm living in Brisbane and looking to get back into the scene potentially. Haven't played in the past 3 years, but played competitive Melee from ~2004-2009 while I was living in the United States doing Uni. Just recently got the itch to play some more, so looking for some people to play against in Brisbane area. Looking forward to playing you all soon.
I'll play you sometime.
Where abouts in Brisbane are you?
Im at Tarragindi in the southside.

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
Hey and welcome. I'm just starting out with Melee so I hope we can play :)

B 2

Smash Rookie
Hey! I'm the little brother of 'BaHoO' I always played melee for lols back when it first came out but now my brother has shown me the competitive side, i'm really keen on getting into it. Really hoping to improve my game at project M and Melee!

Out of curiosity, any smash players in the Albury/Wodonga area?

I'm really looking forward to talking, meeting and playing with everybody!
Thanks.

Mytus

Smash Apprentice
What a fantastic thread, it's great to be able to read some (albeit brief) history on the Australian smash scene. I'd love for this to get updated to present day at some point.

I'm just starting out in Melee, going to put together a scrappy crew of fellow novices and hopefully get some crew battles going on in QLD!

Mr. Phantasmo

Smash Journeyman
Hey! I'm the little brother of 'BaHoO' I always played melee for lols back when it first came out but now my brother has shown me the competitive side, i'm really keen on getting into it. Really hoping to improve my game at project M and Melee!

Out of curiosity, any smash players in the Albury/Wodonga area?

I'm really looking forward to talking, meeting and playing with everybody!
Thanks.
I live in Wodonga, i used to play all the when i lived in Melbourne though i don't have much free time at the moment, my wife and i just bought a house.

Monday

Smash Rookie
Sup everyone. I'm a personal trainer and a uni student living in Sydney close to the cbd currently working full time on deferral. I'm a fresh smasher. Never played melee as I was a sony fanboy during that console gen and had no idea about the competitive side of it. Played ssb64 and brawl casually, played tekken much more seriously for the last 6 years or so as well as blazblue and UMVC3 to a lesser extent. After being shown the doco by a friend of mine Ive decided to pick up melee, mostly due to the existence of a community that actually plays it, no one seems to play tekken here.

Will likely be attending ROS3 with a crew. Hopefully meet some more fighting game enthusiasts in the area. On a side note does anyone know an easy way to get controllers in Sydney? Getting a bunch of wiis and screens for practice was easy enough but ive been laughed at when calling jb and eb asking for controllers the kids working there never knew existed.

Tranquility

<3 Yoshi
Sup everyone. I'm a personal trainer and a uni student living in Sydney close to the cbd currently working full time on deferral. I'm a fresh smasher. Never played melee as I was a sony fanboy during that console gen and had no idea about the competitive side of it. Played ssb64 and brawl casually, played tekken much more seriously for the last 6 years or so as well as blazblue and UMVC3 to a lesser extent. After being shown the doco by a friend of mine Ive decided to pick up melee, mostly due to the existence of a community that actually plays it, no one seems to play tekken here.

Will likely be attending ROS3 with a crew. Hopefully meet some more fighting game enthusiasts in the area. On a side note does anyone know an easy way to get controllers in Sydney? Getting a bunch of wiis and screens for practice was easy enough but ive been laughed at when calling jb and eb asking for controllers the kids working there never knew existed.
Only way you'll be able to get a controller is to order online via Amazon or something like that. Smashboards does have a store selling them however I don't think they ship to Aus so you might need to try a different seller.

http://www.play-asia.com/ Has them as well, however no matter where you buy em from you'll probably be waiting at least 2-3 weeks for them to get here.

Edit: Here's some links.
http://www.play-asia.com/game-cube-controller-white-paOS-13-49-en-70-2ola.html
http://www.amazon.com/Official-Nintendo-White-Classic-Gamecube-Controller/dp/B0017KIBAI

Not sure if play-asia is better, I had to pay an extra $25 on shipping for Amazon so if you go with them you might want to get more than 1 controller.

Last edited:

Monday

Smash Rookie
Only way you'll be able to get a controller is to order online via Amazon or something like that. Smashboards does have a store selling them however I don't think they ship to Aus so you might need to try a different seller.

http://www.play-asia.com/ Has them as well, however no matter where you buy em from you'll probably be waiting at least 2-3 weeks for them to get here.

Edit: Here's some links.
http://www.play-asia.com/game-cube-controller-white-paOS-13-49-en-70-2ola.html
http://www.amazon.com/Official-Nintendo-White-Classic-Gamecube-Controller/dp/B0017KIBAI

Not sure if play-asia is better, I had to pay an extra $25 on shipping for Amazon so if you go with them you might want to get more than 1 controller.

Thanks for the quick response. Been taking a look and found some places on ebay selling for about 15 bucks each with delivery so I'm hitting that up. Fingers crossed I wont get rolled but it looks legit. How long do the gamecube controllers usually last btw? Hope Its not as bad as the 64 ones lol.

PrettyCoolGuy

Smash Ace
Pretty sure you're getting rolled. If they don't have gamecube written on them above the start button they are ****ty knock offs which will not last at all and also will suck even while they work

Monday

Smash Rookie
Pretty sure you're getting rolled. If they don't have gamecube written on them above the start button they are ****ty knock offs which will not last at all and also will suck even while they work
Thanks mate Ill keep that in mind.

CrayolaAU

Smash Rookie
Heya everyone. I'm completely new to melee, only have played 64 way back and brawl time to time for fun. Been looking to get into competitive melee and PM as of late. Will hopefully try to attend any tours in QLD and if anyone can give me a helping hand or just play some smash in the Brisbane area that'd be really awesome :)

smopup

Smash Journeyman
Heya everyone. I'm completely new to melee, only have played 64 way back and brawl time to time for fun. Been looking to get into competitive melee and PM as of late. Will hopefully try to attend any tours in QLD and if anyone can give me a helping hand or just play some smash in the Brisbane area that'd be really awesome :)
Hey! The Brisbane Melee scene has been very active recently, so nice timing. If you want to get right into it, there's a tournament happening this Saturday (here's the thread with all the details). There are usually weekly meets as well, so the best thing you could do is turn up this weekend, meet everyone and let them know that you're keen to play. Everyone's quite welcoming and is happy to play friendlies as well as walk you through the fundamentals of the game.

Last edited:

CrayolaAU

Smash Rookie
Hey! The Brisbane Melee scene has been very active recently, so nice timing. If you want to get right into it, there's a tournament happening this Saturday (here's the thread with all the details). There are usually weekly meets as well, so the best thing you could do is turn up this weekend, meet everyone and let them know that you're keen to play. Everyone's quite welcoming and is happy to play friendlies as well as walk you through the fundamentals of the game.
Ah thank you! Yeah I'm debating at the moment if I'm able to go since I'm not sure how I'll get down there but looking into it. Another thing is my GC controller doesn't arrive for another 2 weeks max so unless there's spares I would only be spectating for the time being which I'm fine with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom