• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An analysis of Brawl characters: Is one franchise favored?

Sir_Psycho

Smash Apprentice
So I have clocked in quite a bit of play in Brawl, and from random matches alone I have been able to spend quite a bit of time with most every character in the game. Now, of course there is much discussion of tier lists and the like, and some characters will inevitably be better(or easier to play) than others. However, I wanted to look at the characters from Brawl from a franchise standpoint(i.e. Mario, Legend of Zelda, etc.) and based on my analysis I saw some interesting patterns. DISCLAIMER: Have in mind these are from an objective, no-main character stanpoint. Please no "OMG I MAIN WOLF AND HE IS >>>>>> ALL NOOB" responses. However, if you have a constructive criticism or disagreement you would like to bring up I would be happy to respond to it as helpfully as possible.

Super Mario Bros.

--Mario--
I feel like Mario is better than he was in Melee. Many of his moves have improved knockback, and he has a pretty solid final smash. I found he was much easier to get kills with this time around, and his aerial game is pretty solid. His down+B takes some getting used to, but looks like it can be a pretty useful edgeguard if used properly. In all, Mario is still his solid self with mostly improvements. My Rating: 8

--Luigi--
Luigi has lost a few things in Brawl that made him so strong in Melee. Since wavedashing is a thing of the past, and since Luigi had the longest wavedash there's that, and since everyone has improved recovery, his side+B recovery isn't nearly as impressive as it was in Melee. Despite losing some things, his Up+B still has the possibility to get in some cheap low % KOs, and his smash moves are still quick and his final smash is pretty good if you can catch people in it. My Rating: 8

--Peach--
Peach...well Peach has gotten a pretty big nerf in my eyes. The lack of combos and the nerfing of her smash moves and projectiles made it much harder for me to KO people with her. Her final smash is like a date **** drug hits the whole stage, and that's good for a laugh but it's not super great because anyone can eat those orbs and recover help. Either way, all her nerfs make her much harder to pick up and play than in Melee. My Rating: 7

--Bowser--
Bowser has definitely gotten some buffs from his Melee days. He can really punish you as most all of his attacks have solid knockback and great damage output. In all, I really liked the new Bowser and thought he was an overall improvement.
My Rating: 7

--Yoshi--
Yoshi is difficult to give a rating to. In Melee I really liked his smashes and his DJC, and even though he lost his DJC in Brawl I still think he's a pretty good character. His aerials have improved, and his smashes can still take you out quickly. My Rating: 7.5

Wario: Wario is a great addition to the Mario franchise in SSB. He has strong moves, his bike has great potential to own it up, and his disjointed frame movements can mess with your opponent. Just don't suicide with the Wario waft... My Rating: 8
Overall Rating: 7.58
--The Mario franchise makes a solid standing in Brawl. Every character has their own usefulness, and while no character just flat out owns everything(though Wario has some great potential), at the same time no Mario character is the laughing stock of the game.
------------------------------

Legend of Zelda

--Zelda--
Can you say buffed? Din's Fire is a punishing move, and is an excellent juggling move as well. Her aerial moves, especially Uair and Side Air have crazy knockout capabilities. She is definitely improved from Brawl and is no longer a liability when compared to Sheik. My Rating: 8.5

--Sheik--
Where Zelda took a lot of buffs on the KO front, Sheik took the nerfs. Her moves don't have nearly as much KO capability as they used to, and her aerial attacks also took a nerf. In a way, all they did with Sheik/Zelda is balance them out so that transforming during battle isn't a ridiculous option. Sheik is still really quick and can rack up damage with the best of them, but she isn't nearly as strong KO-wise as in Melee. My Rating: 8.5(come on, she was like an 11 out of 10 in Melee)

--Link--
Link is a lot like Link from Melee. He is easy to use, but difficult to be great with. His bombs and arrows are much more spammable, and his boomerang is better, but he is still pretty slow and his recovery is still pretty terrible. And in a game where recovery is almost too easy with most characters, that puts Link at a bit of a disadvantage. Regardless, Link is...Link.
My Rating: 7

--Toon Link--
TL is a lot easier to own with than his less cartoony counterpart. Plus his bombs look really stylish. He's faster, and his fsmash is ridiculously good. He's got some pretty good spikes, and his arrow and boomerang are effective projectiles. Overall a good character.
My Rating: 8

--Ganondorf--
Oh Ganondorf...why must you be so freaking slow? Sure your side+B is chainable, but the lag on your attacks can get pretty ridiculous. All that aside, Ganondorf is a punisher. If you get caught in his purple punch or his smash moves you will pay for it. His speed is so killer though, and his recovery is average at best. My Rating: 5

Overall Rating: 7.4
The Zelda characters are definitely helped out by Zelda/Sheik, and Toon Link has some great potential. If Link and Gdorf would start pulling their weight they could be the franchise kings of Smash Bros
---------------------------------

Pokemon

--Pikachu--
Pikachu has become one of the most beastly and annoying spammers in the game. Whether it's his standard B or his down B you will be hearing Pikachu say a variation on his name a lot during a game. Besides the spamming, Pikachu is pretty dang good in Brawl and can really mess you up in the right hands. He's quick, and his smash and special moves are painful.
My Rating: 8.5

--Jigglypuff--
Jigglypuff sadly took one for the team I'm afraid. Reduced knockback, reduced KO capability, Jpuff punch doesn't turn you around anymore, and Rest isn't as good. Jiggs just isn't as good as she was in Melee. Also her final smash is very situational depending on stage.
My Rating: 6

--Lucario--
Lucario is pretty sick in the right hands. He's quick, his aura ability gives him some pretty good knockback, and his counter move can net you some surprise KOs if your opponent is at high enough %. Lucario is a definite improvement from Mewtwo, and he looks to be a pretty good character in Brawl. My Rating: 8

--Pokemon Trainer--
Notice: I am considering PT one character instead of three as using each Pokemon during a battle is an effective strategy.

Pokemon Trainer is a pretty neat character. Charizard is strong and has some great KO moves, Ivysaur has some awesome grabs and bullet seed can really put the hurt on someone, and Squirtle has some good quicks. Pokemon Trainer is a jack of all trades, but a master of none. My Rating: 7.5

Overall Rating: 7.5
The Pokemon franchise definitely got some help in Brawl with Pikachu buffs, Lucario, and PT's all around goodness. It's just too bad Jiggly had to suffer for it...[/COLOR]
--------------------------------

Star Fox

--Fox--
Fox lost the wavedash/waveshine and some combos, but he's still Fox. He's still ridiculously quick and can take down many other characters. Though I think he is the weakest in the Star Fox series, that's not saying much. My Rating: 8

--Falco--
Falco is a beast and certainly worthy of my first 9. He's strong, he's quick, and has a great spike and improved recovery. Though he's not as fast as Fox, he can still mess up an unsuspecting player pretty quickly. My Rating: 9

--Wolf--
Wolf is frightening, but I don't feel like he's better than Falco. He has great KO potential, and his aerial game is pretty good. He is much like Melee Falco- a character with strong moves that are still pretty quick. His recovery is a little janky though.

Overall Rating: 8.5
The Star Fox franchise is pretty ridiculously good. Each character has the potential to be top-tier/own.

Fire Emblem

--Marth--
Sigh...Marth is godly. Even more so than in Melee. Great smash moves, great reach, good speed, and improved B moves. In short, Marth is crazy good. My Rating: 9.5

--Ike--
Ike might be the biggest punisher in the game. Almost every single one of his moves has the ability to send you flying. His speed is alright, and his recovery can put you in some compromising situations, but he is still a good character. My Rating: 7.5

Overall Rating: 8.5 The Fire emblem characters are both viable choices for anyone. Marth is still ridiculously good and Ike is a beast in the right hands.
-------------------------------------

Donkey Kong(Donkey Kong Country)

--Donkey Kong--
Donkey Kong got some pretty good improvements from Melee. He has some Super Armor when doing some moves(Up+B), and his aerial has improved, but he still has recovery issues and is still pretty slow. Overall though, he is an improvement.
My rating: 7

--Diddy Kong--
Diddy Kong is a pretty good character. He has a frustrating projectile(banana slipping, grrrr...) and his peanut gun can also be annoying. His monkey jump is good for closing ground on someone, and he has pretty good recovery. My Rating: 8.5

Overall Rating: 7.75 The Donkey Kong franchise needed a buff in Brawl and it got one. DK got better, and Diddy has great potential.

Kirby(Kirby's Dream Land)

--Kirby--
In my eyes, Kirby got the biggest buff of any character in the transition from Melee to Brawl. His hammer can now do some great knockback and has KO potential, and it also gives him better recovery. He is just a better character all around and more of a viable choice than he used to be. My Rating: 8

--Meta Knight--
Meta Knight is a really good character. He's quick and he's pretty dangerous. His standard B and side B are very annoying if you get caught in them, and his down B can be pretty tricky. Overall, he is a good character with sky-high potential. My Rating: 8.5

--King DeDeDe--
King DeDeDe is just plain good. He's really strong, but surprisingly elusive, and has one of the most annoying projectiles in the game. His aerial moves are great, and his smash moves can really put the hurt on. My rating: 9

Overall Rating: 8.5 The Kirby franchise got a great boost in Brawl. Not only was Kirby buffed, but both D3 and MK are great characters as well. Did Sakurai sprinkle a little love on his brainchild...?
-----------------------------

Earthbound

--Ness--
Ness is very similar to his Brawl self. PK flash still sucks(my opinion mind you), but Ness's smash moves are still crazy and his yo-yo is even better now. My Rating: 7.5

--Lucas--
Lucas IMO is better than Ness. His Upsmash is borderline ridiculous, and his other smash moves are great as well. PK Freeze is a great edgeguard, and his down B is great for messing with your opponent. My Rating: 8

Overall Rating: 7.75 Ness has always been a good character, if not a niche character. Lucas is a lot like Ness just with some more deadly moves.
----------------------------------

Old School Nintendo

--Ice Climbers--
The Ice Climbers didn't really go up or down in rating from Melee to Brawl in my eyes. They have a better recovery now, and Nana can no longer edgeguard you, but desync is harder and their approach is a bit tougher. My Rating: 7

--Pit--
Pit is in my top three for most annoying spammer in the game. His arrows not only make you flinch, but can be angled and spammed mercilessly. His side B doesn't help the annoying factor as it can be spammed heartily as well. Spamming aside, his aerial game is good, but he doesn't have much in the way of getting the opponent off the level quickly. Still a good character though. My Rating: 8

--R.O.B.--
R.O.B. is a surprisingly good character with a great aerial game and two great projectiles. His laser can be angled which can be tricky, and his dreidel can really mess with an opponent. He has some great KO moves and great recovery as well. My Rating: 8.5

--Mr. Game & Watch--
G&W has a ridiculous smash game. Seriously all of his smash moves have devastating damage/knockback and he still has the instakill judgement hammer. His aerial game also features some good, high priority moves. My Rating: 8.5

Overall Rating: 8 The Old School makes a strong showing in Brawl with a solid cast of characters, and some great newcomers.
----------------------------------

Metroid

--Samus--
Samus is once again a good character, and is helped out by missile buffs. Her aerial game is pretty good, and she has a good edgeguard. My only gripe is that it's sometimes hard to get rid of your opponents. My Rating: 7.5

--Zero Suit Samus--
Zamus is really annoying in the right hands, and her tether recovery has ridiculous range. She has a pretty unique moveset, and can chain together some really nice combos. She also has some great speed and a good aerial game. My Rating: 8.5

Overall Rating: 8 The Metroid series remains strong in Brawl with a two good characters that are both viable choices.
-------------------------------

Third Party/Single Representation
Note: Since Captain Falcon and Olimar are the single representatives of their franchises, I didn't want to give them their own category.

--Sonic--
Sonic has pretty much all the moves you would expect Sonic to have, but none of them leave you in awe. He has great speed and his aerial game is pretty cool, but his damage output leaves a lot to be desired. He also lacks priority in many of his moves.
My Rating: 6.5

--Snake--
Snake can be daunting to use at first, but after getting the basic idea can be a lot of fun. His ftilt and standard A have awesome knockback, and he probably has the best mind games out of any character in the game. Great KO potential, but average aerial game.

--Olimar--
Olimar is a very dangerous opponent in the right hands. He has crazy good smash moves, and his Pikmin throw can really get under your skin. Not to metion the fact that the Pikmin can take damage for Olimar. His moves have really good priority and he is pretty quick as well. My Rating: 9.5

--Captain Falcon--
Captain Falcon definitely got some changes for the worse. Not only did he lose many of his combos, but fighting smaller fighters is much harder, and so is landing that knee of his. Falcon punch got a little buff by being able to turn it, but its not enough to make up for the other atrocities the good old Capt. had to suffer through. He's not terrible though, and I at least think he's a mid-level character. My Rating: 7

Overall Rating: 7.8 With the exception of Sonic and the Captain nerfs, the Third Party/Single Rep characters are pretty good.
-------------------------------------

Now, if you put all these franchise averages in order it comes out something like this:

1.Kirby, Star Fox, Fire Emblem-8.5
2. Metroid, Old School Nintendo-8
3. Third Party/Oddballs-7.8
4. Donkey Kong, Earthbound-7.75
5. Mario-7.58
6. Pokemon-7.5
7. Zelda-7.4

So there you have it. I know these aren't exactly in-depth analyses of every character, but this in itself took quite a while to complete. What's to be deduced from all this? Well personally I feel like Sakurai may have given the Kirby characters a little more love than the others since he created Kirby in the first place. Another trend is that the more popular franchises seem to be at the bottom, while the less popular/not totally Nintendo gravitate toward to the top. Once again, I stress that I tried to make these ratings as objective as possible with no favoritism toward any character or franchise. I was just thinking about all this today, and I was wondering if anyone else had an opinion on the subject. That being said, let me hear what you think.

P.S. Grats if you read all this, it was over 11 pages in Microsoft word :dizzy:

TheMoonman

Smash Cadet
A nice read. Very well organized, and the colors are surprisingly not too much a hassle.

But...where's Captain Falcon?

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
The colours hurt my eyes :dizzy:

I read it until I couldn't distinguish the letters any more due to bad colour choice. Fix and I will read the rest?

Also: I dare you to rate somebody lower than a 6 or higher than a 9.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
What criteria are you using to rate these characters? Whether or not your friends/the cpu can beat you? :p

Fluke

Smash Journeyman
Nice read.

Obviously Caption Falcon being able to do the Falcon punch symbolises all it's support for the franchise.

Sir_Psycho

Smash Apprentice
I edited it with color changes to make it easier to read, I also included the Captain and fixed some of the errant ratings. (i.e. Ganondorf's rating, Olimar & Snake's rating.)

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
Yoshi is TERRIBLE in Brawl. Ganon might be slow as sin, but he does have a great ground game when you play him for a bit. I recommend dropping Yoshi's score.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Yoshi is TERRIBLE in Brawl.
I keep seeing people say this, but nobody can really back it up. There are other characters that seem to have far less potential than Yoshi, who I'd put right around average for capability.

Sir_Psycho

Smash Apprentice
I keep seeing people say this, but nobody can really back it up. There are other characters that seem to have far less potential than Yoshi, who I'd put right around average for capability.
This was my view on Yoshi as well. I tried to look at these characters from a standpoint of how easily this character would be to be able to hold your own in a match at the level of an average player. Sure a "pro" player could pick up any character and do pretty well with him/her in a few days of practice, but which characters have inherent traits which make them easier to be good with for the Smash Bros. everyman. I noticed a post earlier which asked what my findings were based on and here's a bit of a list:

--Over 500 matches played with friends or solo against level 9 computers.
--Participation in 2 Brawl tourneys(average of about 30 entrants)
--Spectating many, many matches and seeing which characters were most frequently used. (Keep in mind this is a fairly new game, and the better characters are the ones that people tend to gravitate toward early on)
--Around 50 online matches.(Yeah, 50 isn't a super impressive number, but sometimes the lag on Nintendo wi-fi is so bad, the last 20 seconds of a match can last 10 minutes.

So most of my findings are based on my experience playing the game thus far, and watching others play the game as well. Every single one of my ratings is up for speculation, and could be changed as I continue to play the game. I will not pretend I am an omniscient Smash guru who has pinpointed every flaw within every character, but I would like to think I have a pretty good idea of the Brawl big picture as of right now. I'm enjoying the comments, btw, keep em' coming! Though I would like to see more speculation on franchise favoritism...

Sir_Psycho

Smash Apprentice
I do not like the list, and that is because your lowest rate was 5, so you mine as well just give scores out of 5. Also, I think you were too genorus for many characters, or too harsh for others. Well, this list means nothing to me what-so-ever.
Well the problem with giving really harsh ratings for every character or giving a perfect rating to any character is the fact that the characters are much more balanced than they were in Melee. For example, if this was a Melee list I would have given Kirby a 3 because he was terrible, and I would have given Sheik a 10 because she was unbelievable. All that aside, I feel like you didn't even read all of the post, or you didn't understand the context of it in general. This thread is not about the individual character ratings, it is about the quality of the characters of a given franchise as a whole to see if there are patterns of favoritism or something like that.

Sir_Psycho

Smash Apprentice
Sigh... does anyone actually read anymore? Or is it all about quick scanning then jumping to conclusions?

lavamage

Smash Ace
Wisconsin...yay that place no one has ever heard o
Well the problem with giving really harsh ratings for every character or giving a perfect rating to any character is the fact that the characters are much more balanced than they were in Melee. For example, if this was a Melee list I would have given Kirby a 3 because he was terrible, and I would have given Sheik a 10 because she was unbelievable. All that aside, I feel like you didn't even read all of the post, or you didn't understand the context of it in general. This thread is not about the individual character ratings, it is about the quality of the characters of a given franchise as a whole to see if there are patterns of favoritism or something like that.
Sorry, I made a short response because my keyboard is broken, so I am using the on screen keyboard, but I will try to make a better response.

I am aware of the balance in the game, however it seems that you wrote this from memory. I am thinking that you have played the game for a few wees, played with some characters, and decided to make this thread.

I think the only real way to tell his favortism for franchises is ased on the amount of representation they got. This includes things like characters, stages, trophies, stickers, music, bosses, ect. and not only on how good some characters are. For example, Animal Crossing has one stage, one assist trohy, a few songs, some bosses, and some stickers. However, his attention to the series is great, capturing the art style as well as one of the most memorale portions of the game: K. K. Slider. Someone could argue that the Sonic series (for another example) has better representation because of one chacter, however Sonic does not seem to have the same detail in it, most obvious through the song choices as well as Shadow's AT effect (I do not play Sonic but I haveherd th effect is not in the games)

Another thing that was odd was putting Snake, Olimar, Sonic, and CF inthe same category, even though they do not compnsate for one another. Sakurai didn't say "I was going to have a Louie (Pikmin) AT, but instead I will add Goroh/Gray Fox/Shadow, because they are one in the same"

As I said, this means nothing to me, and it was not the most well-thought-out topic.

Sir_Psycho

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, I made a short response because my keyboard is broken, so I am using the on screen keyboard, but I will try to make a better response.

I am aware of the balance in the game, however it seems that you wrote this from memory. I am thinking that you have played the game for a few wees, played with some characters, and decided to make this thread.

I think the only real way to tell his favortism for franchises is ased on the amount of representation they got. This includes things like characters, stages, trophies, stickers, music, bosses, ect. and not only on how good some characters are. For example, Animal Crossing has one stage, one assist trohy, a few songs, some bosses, and some stickers. However, his attention to the series is great, capturing the art style as well as one of the most memorale portions of the game: K. K. Slider. Someone could argue that the Sonic series (for another example) has better representation because of one chacter, however Sonic does not seem to have the same detail in it, most obvious through the song choices as well as Shadow's AT effect (I do not play Sonic but I haveherd th effect is not in the games)

Another thing that was odd was putting Snake, Olimar, Sonic, and CF inthe same category, even though they do not compnsate for one another. Sakurai didn't say "I was going to have a Louie (Pikmin) AT, but instead I will add Goroh/Gray Fox/Shadow, because they are one in the same"

As I said, this means nothing to me, and it was not the most well-thought-out topic.
Considering this thread was not done off memory(I actually made notes for the characters), you've made some false assumptions in your reasoning. While I respect what you're saying here, I believe your missing the point of the post. The title is An Analysis of Brawl characters. Sure you could bring into play the trophies and stickers and such, but the Brawl everyman cares more about who he's playing with than what he is collecting. I'm sure if I was to look at everything from a point of view which encompassed every single aspect of Brawl I would have different results. Regardless, this thread is about how the actual playable characters represent their respective franchises--it has nothing to do with stickers, trophies, items, etc.

DSM01

Smash Apprentice
Very interesting thought process. You say that one franchise may possibly be favored over another, but obviously there will be some franchises better than others, just as there will be some characters that are better than other characters. First off, a tier list for franchises is just weird, and secondly, comparisons of that sort are usually only if one is clearly better than another. For example, in the tier list, some characters are miles ahead of others, but in your comparison of the franchises, the highest surpasses the lowest by only 1.1. Your computations appear to contradict your original opinion, and in the end, it's like comparing high tiers and top tiers. Also, I think you're overanalyzing the whole thing, because the point of the game isn't to figure out which franchise is the strongest.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I think Sakurai favored the Kirby franchise (Seriously, all of the Kirby characters are great fighters).

I think the FE franchise was under represented. A franchise that has a total 10 games with another in the making, completely revolutionized the SRPG genre, and almost doubled in size between melee and brawl...deserves 1 more playable character. There were so many great picks too. Micaiah, Lyn, Roy, Sigurd, or Hector all would've been exceptable picks (well, maybe not Hector. Japan didn't like him too much). Making Lyn an assist trophy was just cruel.

Top Bottom