• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

an aesthetic mechanic arrives! visual effects per player name

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
Okay so i probably didn't word that very well, but my idea is simple: in a lot of 2d platformers i've seen, there has been the option to have an effect or icon or something float around your character. whether or not this effect did anything or not varied on the game, but i was thinking in smash it would only be for looks. imagine bowser drop kicking the crud out of some others with a zelda-style fairy flying around him, or ganondorf being trailed by a swath of generic sparkles. maybe go the epic route by having a flame dance around samus' face. what be thine thoughts on this idea? what other things could float around heads? share with this OP what bubbles in your minds! :p

Bean Yak

Smash Cadet
NNID
Catman789
Could you please link examples from other games or something? I struggle to see what the hell you're talking about.

daniel13789

Smash Rookie
I get where you're going with it. Depending on what exactly the aesthetic is, it could work or it could simply be annoying for the other players.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Seems rather pointless to me. I prefer costumes as an aesthetic marker.

And please provide us with examples.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I thought this was going to be about attack effects. Like making Link's slash effects red or something.

This reminds me of how great custom colors would be though.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494

that little blue cross and the thing above her head are somewhat similar to what i'm talking about. the cross is more so, since it moves around, while the other thing is only static directly above her head

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
We already have this, you can put your name. Good enough for me. Don't need obnoxious floating graphics.

J1NG

Smash Journeyman
It's the most fitting icon for his character.
Well, I must say, that is an oddly specific pair of images to associate with one another. I, for one, think that a pair of angel wings or the sacred bow with arrow are fitting icons for the character. But, to each their own, I suppose.
I do have a question, though. Would this icon take the place of a tag?

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
tag as in the name floating directly above? if that's the case, then it would not. like, take a look at the image, and imagine the spiky icon as the name and the cross as the effect

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Yeah its a common feature in online games, like stick arena. But we already have nametags floatin above which I already find annoying. I think I'd prefer an option to turn off their visibility.
Maybe an image of their avatar. A mii or sumthin. I dunno. Whats the point of discussin sh$# like this that wont be in the game? Make a mod for brawl that displays images above the player's X,Y coordinate.

Top Bottom