• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ambitions as a Plumber; A Mario FAQ

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
yeah, just dthrow to dtilt then fsmash, its safer.

btw: i have a huge mario ditto coming up, 50 dollar money match and the namesake of a crew riding on it, ive been training with scav and other marios but help would be appreciated.

mario ditto, and advice? anyone?
Course' ...if he stars Fireball spamming you got your cape at your side :grin:

You can Combo Mario pretty good too... dont try it TOO often though... Dair Approaches are useful too...so are Nair Approaches! SHFFL them if possible...

Try to outsmart him with some flashy WD + DD moves BUT again, dont overdo it or hell GET YOU :smiliegor !!!

Grabing is also useful...

BASICALLY you use these moves most of the times which are BASICS I dont think you need to come up with anything smart or specificly against Mario EXCEPT for the Caping Projectiles thing

and yeah.... Everything works though

mario-man

Smash Lord
Okay, WHEN should you techchase due to the lag time of the roll. It doesn't make any sense to me. Help plz

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
Basically any time that you can tell which direction they are going to go after teching (or if they'll just stand up) You figure out by noticing a pattern in how they move after a tech. If you notice they tech to the left a bunch, follow them that way. After you punish them a few times they will probably change the direction they go, and you should adapt to follow them that way instead.

The reason it is useful is because right after teching, as you guessed, they have lag and can do nothing about you hitting or grabbing them if you follow them properly. Techchasing for mario is often done after a d-throw on fastfallers at low percents, etc.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Oooohhh, I had it backwards. Thx Face. You chase THEM after THEY tech to the side. Ok got it.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
Sort of, but not quite. You follow them AS they roll. Meaning that yoou have to predict with way they will techroll to do it effectively. Unless you're captain falcon.

An example of this that often when you knock someone down at the edge of the stage, they will often roll towards the center of the stage/you. That is an easy to punish situation. When you play people, look for stuff like that.

Oh, and no problem; I'm glad to help.

mario-man

Smash Lord
That's what I meant to say. I understand completely.I thought that somehow it meant that you techroll towards them. As you can imagine I was confused as to why this would be useful. LOL

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
If you are talking about only out of the air, you could try to use attacks that hit the edge of the shield so that when they grab they won't reach you. Or you could just fall and not attack since they shield alot. You could even use Dair and L-cancel and get a quick grab or dsmash off. Hope that helps.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Can someone clarify something about the Mario Tornado? I use it quite a bit to tech punish (long duration and moderate lateral movement) and as crouch cancel counterattack (it's better than the D-tilt IMO, and easier to use than the Down Smash). Should I be using different strategies? I like it quite a bit for it's vertical setup, since one of Mario's strong points is his aerial game or his U-tilt. Maybe I'm not playing against a friend who knows how to deal with it. I keep hearing the Tornado is useless in the heat of battle. I'd like that to be explained a bit better.

mario-man

Smash Lord
The tornado is USELESS as an attack. Don't do it. It is only useful for recovery.

1. WAAAAYYY too much lag time.
2. Don't use the d-tilt either. It sux bad.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Hrm, so what obsoletes it as an attack then? I'm just wondering. It's all in the name of improving competitive play between me and my friend when he faces my Mario. I got at least two tornadoes on him as a crouch cancel counter -> vertical setup, and I'm probably assuming it's just because he hasn't really seen it used much in one vs one.

-PM-

Smash Ace
Its just the fact that you can do so much more besides the tornado its just not good enough if you get what i mean. You would be much better off with a grab or jab then string it into a combo of your own =]

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
*facepalm* Grabs yes. Probably about the same range as the Tornado. Much less lag to use an Up or D-throw.

And I gotta practice the Jab -> Dsmash combo more. =P

mario-man

Smash Lord
Too much lag time. What else do you need to have as proof?? Plus, it really isn't a good move anyways.

3GOD

Smash Ace
Can someone clarify something about the Mario Tornado? I use it quite a bit to tech punish (long duration and moderate lateral movement) and as crouch cancel counterattack (it's better than the D-tilt IMO, and easier to use than the Down Smash). Should I be using different strategies?
How is pushing B easier than pushing C-Stick Down? Maybe it takes 1/100th as much force to push the B button, but you should be able to just C-Stick Down.

By the way, the best crouch cancel counter is to Jump Cancel Grab (Jump + Z grab instantly) if you are positioned correctly. Then you can use the appropriate throw to setup for a chaingrab/combo/smash/edgeguard depending on their damage.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Now I have two questions. Firstly, what is the best way to stop falco as he approaches you with those lasers as they stop momentum? Secondly, how is the best way to get inside the range of a Marth when they approach with lots of Fairs?

mario-man

Smash Lord
For the fairs with Marth, shield grabbing is probably the best as far as I know.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
Eh, sheildgrabbing a marth that spaces well is NOT going to work. You have to play a defensive hit-and-run style.

To get through Marth's Fair... uh... avoid it? You can try to time an F-tilt in between them if you time your attacks properly, as it is one of the few moves you have with enough range. you other option is basically to get in really close and trade hits with him/grab him.

mario-man

Smash Lord
I guess that comes from not playing any HUMAN Marths... Besides my ftilt spamming sister of course. LOL

mario-man

Smash Lord
Maybe you're right, but 2 things:

1. She doesn't care to be any better.
2. She might be more enthusiastic about Brawl. Especially if Sonic is worth using.

Actually, today I was watching her play while I did something else, and I had paused the game right before the end of a match. She decided to play and came in at the pause spot controlling me. LOL

I suggested that she try using Mario. She did and actually didn't do THAT terrible. I would have pwned her of course, but the comp sure didn't. XD

Maybe there IS hope for me. :laugh:

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
Good ole fire of course.

WD out of shield to a grab, before 40 you get a dthrow to a free upsmash.

after that, dthrow to uairs, carry him unmercefully.

WD back and forth or WD to run, anything you got to bait that foward smash, because we all know its coming lol

when he misses WD to fsmash or run to JC or CC fsmash ( i prefer CC, its more controlled)

or you can dsmash if your time is limited to slip in an attack.

just stay away from the edge and the tip of that sword and you should be alright.

and remember, fear is your friend, dont be to much of a man to retreat.

DP's Mario

Smash Ace
Hmm...Well, I believe I heard this from a lot of Mario smashers, but...

Is it a bad thing to be cape heavy?

Some say it's a mindgame to use the cape against opponents strategically,

Others say it's a straight-up bad thing. Don't do it!

I, myself, am a cape heavy person and I use the cape as in a combo sometimes and to fool my opponent into what I'm gonna do next...What should I do, guys?

mario-man

Smash Lord
I was gonna talk about that to ya. I watched your vids, and I guess I'll just tell ya here since you're asking about it.

As for the cape, normally I would say use it less, but I decided that it is part of your playstyle and you need to be your own player. So, you don't need to worry about the cape.

Other things I would suggest are:

1. Work on consistency. You're pretty good here, I just noticed a few times you didn't fastfall. Nothin too major.

2. Roll less. You've probably heard this before. Rolling has too much lagtime.

3. DON'T be afraid to go off the side of the stage to edgeguard. I never saw you try to edgehog or edgeguard besides just trying to f-smash them or d-smash. Try turning around quickly then WDing backwards to edgehog. If they still have jumps left, then try bairing them to no end. It works quite well.

Other than that, you're really good. Keep it coming.

DP's Mario

Smash Ace
Thanx, Double M! I've been working on my edgeguarding skills lately, too. And the consistency...Yesh! I gota get on that. :)

DP's Mario

Smash Ace
Hahaaa!! Woow! DP made Mario-man change his name to Double M!

*Scores 2 points!*

But yea...Does anybody else think that caping too much is a problem??

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
It usually is, you shouldn't mindlessly cape.. i'll post more about it in a little.. its not worth the lag time.. especially against like falco you're better of PSing the lasers.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Well yeah, you shouldn't MINDLESSLY cape. It didn't seem like you were though. They had purpose, though I personally wouldn't cape as much as you. In fact, I don't much at all. But that's just me.

Top Bottom