• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am i too late to the party? Should i get Melee?

TheSavior

Smash Rookie
Sooo. Whatsup guys.

Ive been a huge fan of super smash brothers since i was a little kid. And only just recently started watching melee videos.

Melee looks like the absolute badass dream game. I play my n64 smash bros. But it doesnt even compare to the complexity of melee.

But.. Is it worth it to get into this game so late? Evo really made me desperately want this game.

I don't even have a gamecube and never owned one. Is it really hard to learn and perfect the manuevers. I mean this game is what.. 14 years old? And people are still Perfecting strategies.

Also does anyone know where i can pickup a GC? I hope its not obsurdly pricey...

And should i just wait for smash 4 to come out?

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
A retro game store should have one. If you have a Wii with GC controller support then you can play Melee also. I wouldn't say it is too late to get into this game. I think it is safe to say most people will try Smash4 but continue to play Melee. Except Mew2King. He will play Smash4 as much as Melee and Brawl. Anyways, go ahead and get into it. It does take time to learn the maneuvers. I have been playing a year and it took me maybe 4-5 months to be able to do some of the ATs consistently in a match.

A gamecube might be $80. Thats my guess. Gamecube controllers are $40-$50 first party if I'm not mistaken, but you might still be able to find them at Gamestop.

Just check out a retro game store if you know of one around you.

NightShadow6

Smash Journeyman
The scene is only growing stronger.

Now would be the best time, for anytime is the best time.

ye25

Smash Journeyman
DEFINITELY GET IT!! It's great that EVO is really helping to get this game out there. AT's can take a while but stick with it. How fast you get good at a game depends on you; I've seen people play for only a year and are already better than me. Welcome to the game and always remember to have fun!

BIGJOHNSONxPWNS

Smash Apprentice
I'm right there with ya. I grew up on Smash Bros (especially on 64) but I had no idea how complex and competitive Melee could be until about a year ago. I do have thoughts while trying to get good at this game like "I wish I had been apart of this community in the golden age" and "Am I ever going to be as good as these people with double digit years of experience?" It does kinda get me down sometimes, but I really think Melee will live for a long time and will even expand from it's exposure at Evo. Just play the game and have fun. Getting good really does take a while, just don't get discouraged. I've progressed so far as a player in a matter of months and you will too.

Oh and you can easily get a Cube for ~40 on ebay or even in resale shops or vintage game stores. It will probably come with a controller too, but if not the basic first party controllers go for around 10 to 20 bucks on ebay. Melee itself goes for around 40 bucks though. Even 12 years later...

Comatose

Smash Apprentice
I've found cubes and controllers in working order (my controller I recently bought used is fantastic) on Amazon for around $20, so its not tooo expensive. A melee disc will run you a bit more. but overall it is a great game to get into, and great community to get into. I've had melee since I was 7, and have only been playing competitively for around 6months. My playing doesn't stack up to the pros, but it's way better than when I started.

I say go for it. Melee is insanely deep and insanely fun on any level, so you'll not only enjoy it if you make it to top level play, but also the entire way up.

swanized

Smash Cadet
I got my setup for 45$ at a retro game store. Got into melee this year, it's definitely not too late

JKJ

Smash Ace
Melee disc on Amazon will run you ~$30
Gamecube on Amazon will run you ~$40
Controller on Amazon (new white one, recommend going for the new since used ones/third party ones are shoddy and still pretty expensive) will run you ~$50
CRT at a local thrift shop or goodwill will run you ~$15

For a grand total of $135

And HOLY SH*T YES it is worth it to get into Melee now. Yes, the advanced techniques are difficult, but they are so rewarding and become second nature when you get them down.
The scene is entering a second golden age now. Join us as we take Melee to the heights of fighting game popularity. No other game is as rewarding, as complex, as badass, or as difficult (yes, it is difficult) as Super Smash Brothers Melee. Join in. Let us know what region you're from so you can find players to play with.

TheSavior

Smash Rookie
Haha wow, thanks so much guys.

I'm gonna go buy one tomorrow :)

This is gonna be sick.
Best community ever.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Welcome to the 12-year-old party.

We're looking to kick it back for another 12 years.

#12moreyears

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
check craigslist and local game stores. in my city a gamecube runs about $20, the disc around 20-25, and a good controller(my fox controller) i bought for 15. memory card should be no more than 10 dollars for the larger block nintendo memory card

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337

Melee is awesome and you should be part of the community! My only regret is not becoming part of it sooner. The longer you wait the more you're going to have to catch up. :falconmelee:

Sedda

Smash Champion
It's never too late. Fortunately, (competitive) smash isn't one of those series where the new game comes out and all players move on to the new game. I'm sure people are going to be curious about Smash Wii U, so everyone's gonna play it, but Melee is growing stronger and stronger. I would also suggest playing the other two games, because they can all be very very fun (even Brawl lol)

007-jake

Smash Journeyman
Of course get into it. I came into the competitive scene roughly 2 years ago and got fairly decent pretty fast. Also, look on craigslist for a gamecube. I got my gamecube, 2 memory cards, 4 decent controllers, and like 4 crappy games for $40 from some mexican lady.

Dr. Ed

Smash Rookie
Only been playing Melee in a competitive fashion for about a year now. Completely worth it. Most fun I've had playing a video game EVER.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Damn, no wonder Smashers are broke, they are horrible at shopping. Some 1-day browsing on Ebay got me a Cube for $10, a Melee disc for $3, and 2 basically new controllers for $40 total. Be moar thrifty, people.

Zhea

Smash Ace
Just putting a little expectation disclaimer. If your goal is to have fun, then congratulation this game will be fun and amazing for a long long time(Years).

If your aim is to become a regional or national level player be prepared for 3-4 years of hard training for regional status and 6 to 7 years to maybe be a top 8 player. This is an old game with a very well developed meta game and none of the players who make top 8 at nationals have been playing for any less than 6 years.

That being said, melee is like no other fighter out there (No not even it's sibling titles). Your play style can really determine the pace of the game. You like fast aggression? Then this game can look like mahvel. You like patient and deliberate play then you can do that too (with certain characters) Every match up is it's own puzzle with it's own nuances. Can you find the wholes in Foxes pressure? Can you out maneuver Falcon? Can you bait out Marth's swings?

I'd suggest picking a top tier character to start learning, but ultimately pick who you have the most fun with, because you will need to draw on that to keep your competitive spirit going in the most trying of times.

Zoler

Smash Ace
I thought the same when I wanted to start in late 2009 lol

The community is only growing bigger and stronger every year however, so no it's definitely not too late!

JKJ

Smash Ace
@Bones0
I was talking about relatively new or easy to find cubes/disks/controllers. I was just mentioning the purchase prices if you were to buy from Amazon. Yes, of course there are very many places where you can find very cheap Melee components, I was assuming that he was not willing to look for them. Not many are willing to shop around for cheap, and would rather guaranteed quality with a higher price tag.

Engo

Smash Ace
This game is really flipping hard but it's fun as hell so it's definitely worth all the effort. There's no guarantee SSB4 will be any good and if that's the case Melee will continue while Brawl will probably die off so it's definitely worth playing it.

Practice, go to tournaments, make friends, learn about how amazing the game is and have a blast. Even if it's only 1-2 years before SSB4 comes out I guarantee it'll be a blast and you'll have tons of experiences you'll never imagine you'd ever have.

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
I got into the competitive aspect recently too, and I believe right now is an awsome time to join because others like you and I got so hype at EVO, we decided to get better at this game. EVO was a huge boon for the melee community and will help it grow exponetially

The minimum you need is only a Gamecube controller. You can play Melee at fests and tournaments which is all you really need

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
It's really never too late to get into this game, espeacially now when there are tons of new players entering the scene thanks the EVO.

One suggestion, since you don't have a gamecube nor controller, I recommend you to buy a used Gamecube. That's because they usually come with one controller and given how durable the controllers are you can get a cube and a great controller both for 20-50 bucks. For example you can go to a game shop that sells second hand junk and ask to try the controller that comes with the cube, I've done this several times and ended up with almost too many gamecubes and controllers for really cheap. Then you only need Melee and a memory card, but the most important thing really is finding people to play. Good luck!

Corona

Smash Apprentice
Get yourself a good controller. Those third-party controllers may look tempting at ~$6 on eBay, but you'll find out they just don't cut it. Make sure it has the official Nintendo Gamecube logo on the front/center.

milligraham

Smash Apprentice
I would definitely recommend melee to anyone. I doubt it could ever be too late, the melee scene seems to be growing especially since EVO probably helped a lot of people discover melee/realize how awesome it is.
Another good thing is you don't need a GC if you have a Wii since it can play GC games. (How I usually play melee)

TheSavior

Smash Rookie
Soo whatsup guys :)

Since the post ive bought 4 controllers (10 family members live near me and we hold gamenights all the time)

a gamecube, Memory card, And a couple of games.

But for the life of me i can't find any cheap super smash melee games for cheaper than 30$ Does anyone know any good places online to nab it for cheaper? Craigslist is a no go. Since i live in hawaii and i'm lucky even to have someone selling anything gamecube related on this small island.

Rubbish

Smash Journeyman
A retro game store should have one. If you have a Wii with GC controller support then you can play Melee also. I wouldn't say it is too late to get into this game. I think it is safe to say most people will try Smash4 but continue to play Melee. Except Mew2King. He will play Smash4 as much as Melee and Brawl. Anyways, go ahead and get into it. It does take time to learn the maneuvers. I have been playing a year and it took me maybe 4-5 months to be able to do some of the ATs consistently in a match.

A gamecube might be $80. Thats my guess. Gamecube controllers are $40-$50 first party if I'm not mistaken, but you might still be able to find them at Gamestop.

Just check out a retro game store if you know of one around you.

I got a gamecube + controller for $50.

Melee seems to be doing better than ever. An arcade game called In The Groove 2 has been out of production since 2007 and the scene for it is stronger than ever there too, so never lose faith in melee.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
it's not too late, but be prepared to go through a lot of frustration when first learning it. You'll have to dedicate a lot of time to learning basic advanced techs and even then if there isn't a good scene nearby, you might not be able to play that much.

D

Deleted member

Greatest experience you'll ever get outta of a video game.

JKJ

Smash Ace
By far, the best community in gaming. Most supportive, most dedicated, most resilient, most longevity, most awesomeness.

Top Bottom