• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am I the only person in the world who prefers the nunchuck + wiimote combo?

adamy

Smash Rookie
I prefer the wiimote + nunchuck controller setup more than any other, including the gamecube controller. Granted, I just started playing Smash on Wii and never played it on GC. Which is probably why I prefer this setup. Are there any reasons as to why I should play using the GC or CC? Or in other words, most do most of you dislike most about the wiimote + nunchuck setup?

AlbinoMonk

Smash Cadet
I loved the GCN during melee, but during pre-brawl hype I started realizing that I wanted to try the wiimote + nunchuk.

The first day of brawl it was a trainwreck. Me and my friends were having friendlies and every time I tried switching I would lose horrible, forgetting how to triple jump etc. The worst part was, losing was a much worse consequence as it meant I had to sit out a round (forgetting any progress I had made).

But by the next weekend I was hooked. My current set-up is:

A: attack
B: Shield
A+B: Grab
(I wanted B to be jump, but then when playing peach I couldn't float AND attack without the game registering it as A+B, ending my float)
Z: Jump
C: Grab
All four directions on the D-Pad: Special.

Apart from b-sticking (which I can usually pull of anyways) I don't feel handicapped at all.

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
I've tried it, and it's actually really fun.

The freedom with your hands is nice. My friend was playing with wiimote nunchuk. His head got itchy. So he scratched it. While still playing.

Anyways, as an actual controller, GCN is superior. 7 viable buttons, a c-stick, and a control stick. Wiimote-nunchaku has 5 viable buttons (I'm assuming the entire d-pad is set to one command) and a control stick. GCN just gives you more options. Plus, for anyone that wants to b-stick...

Spellman

Smash Ace
The Wii Remote and Nunchuk has everything you need to be a successful Smash player, but after playing so many years with the Gamecube controller (also in my opinion the best designed controller of the generation), people are hard pressed to change. It's a learning curve to use the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, but like I say, it is probably very easy to start with it. It's mostly what fingers are used for what that make it tricky for people switching from the Gamecube controller to the Wii-Remote and Nunchuk. Doing specials with your index finger doesn't come naturally when you've been doing it with your thumb for many a years.

Link Hero Of Winds

Smash Rookie
In short: no

I got Melee the day it came out, and was obsessed with it up until March 8th. Obviously, that whole time I used the GC controller. Now I hate using it, and am a rabid, raving fanatic of the Wiichuk combo.

My current set-up is:

A: Attack
B: Special
C:Jump
Z: Shield
D-Pad Up: Up Taunt
D-Pad Side: Side Taunt
D-Pad Down: Grab
1: Grab ( I never ever use it)
2: Down Taunt (wanted to put it on 1, but the game will only allow it on D-Pad down or 2 :()

adamy

Smash Rookie
I got Melee the day it came out, and was obsessed with it up until March 8th. Obviously, that whole time I used the GC controller. Now I hate using it, and am a rabid, raving fanatic of the Wiichuk combo.

My current set-up is:

D-Pad Up: Up Taunt
1: Grab ( I never ever use it)
2: Down Taunt (wanted to put it on 1, but the game will only allow it on D-Pad down or 2 :()
Do you use the default button setup? I find it pretty good, although I never use C.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
I loved the GCN during melee, but during pre-brawl hype I started realizing that I wanted to try the wiimote + nunchuk.

The first day of brawl it was a trainwreck. Me and my friends were having friendlies and every time I tried switching I would lose horrible, forgetting how to triple jump etc. The worst part was, losing was a much worse consequence as it meant I had to sit out a round (forgetting any progress I had made).

But by the next weekend I was hooked. My current set-up is:

B: Shield
A+B: Grab
(I wanted B to be jump, but then when playing peach I couldn't float AND attack without the game registering it as A+B, ending my float)
Z: Jump
C: Grab
All four directions on the D-Pad: Special.

Apart from b-sticking (which I can usually pull of anyways) I don't feel handicapped at all.
how can you pull off a knee taunt combo? I couldn't live without it

Jammo

Smash Cadet
I like it too. Grappling and shielding takes some adjustment and using applications like Stage Editor feels awkward to me but it works pretty well.

Wolfgang457

Smash Journeyman
not really

While I personally don't use it, I don't see why people seem to have an initial loathing to it. Though there are some guys down my hall who prefer it to the gamecube controller.

Link Hero Of Winds

Smash Rookie
Do you use the default button setup? I find it pretty good, although I never use C.
Close to the default, but I changed the D-Pad (IIRC, the default on that is Up-Jump, Side-Grab, Down-Shield), and the 1 and 2 buttons. (Originally 1-Up Taunt, 2-Down Taunt, 1+2- Side Taunt)

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
I tried it but it didn't work out. I tried the classic controller a but it was too small and gave me hand cramps so I just went back to the GC controller. One draw-back though is the spring triggers... stupid shield delay.

themagicnickel

Smash Rookie
GC controlers are the easiest to control your character with... especially because i hate pressing up on the nunchuck to jump. X or Y is much more convienent

SJAK47

Smash Journeyman
No, I know someone who uses a nunchuck and wiimote, and he's pretty good at it too.

The Crotch

Smash Cadet
There's no rubber on the analogue stick on my GC controllers, so using them causes me a great deal of pain in the thumb. As such, I switched over the remote+nunchuk for some time.

I have since moved back to the GC controller, and just wear a glove on my left hand. However, after reconfiguring the remote+nunchuk, it seemed very natural, and I consider it a perfectly viable option.

Except for the whole c-stick thing, of course.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
no its just a lot of people don't like change and so a lot of people stick with GC but there are definitely some who prefer W+N
Indeed. Personally, I like the Wiimote, but find it easier to short-hop with Ol' Faithful (GC), however, my friend has fallen in love wiith the Wiichuck, and will use nothing else, because everything else feels really awkward to him.

kevc

Smash Cadet
i use wii + nunchuck, people say its ****, but what they dont realize is that its just different than the gamecube controller and it takes a bit of time to get use to...dont see why its **** its not like buttons are har d to press n ****

Spellman

Smash Ace
i use wii + nunchuck, people say its ****, but what they dont realize is that its just different than the gamecube controller and it takes a bit of time to get use to...dont see why its **** its not like buttons are har d to press n ****
kevc is right on all counts.

Marie_54

Smash Ace
I use them both; now i'm hooked with the Wii-Mote and Nunchuck but i think the GC is better because of the C-stick.
I just wanted a fresh new feel to the game...

My setup is-

D-Pad Up: Up Smash
1: Up Taunt
2: Down Taunt

Now i want to make A+B a side smash and 1+2 a down smash... I'll probably set it up later...

rushehidaka

Smash Rookie
I use wii-mote and nunchuk and actually find it to be superior. I edited some of the controls to make it work, but I can't even imagine trying anything else now that I have this set-up

B: shield
C: Jump
Z: special
d-pad: smashes in those directions. equivalent of c-stick for me

1/2: taunts

up-to jump is off. shake smashing off =]

Wiimote+nunchuk gives you so much more freedom in terms of your hands; you can scratch your balls while owning noobs with no loss to ownage-output.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
There's no rubber on the analogue stick on my GC controllers, so using them causes me a great deal of pain in the thumb. As such, I switched over the remote+nunchuk for some time.

I have since moved back to the GC controller, and just wear a glove on my left hand. However, after reconfiguring the remote+nunchuk, it seemed very natural, and I consider it a perfectly viable option.

Except for the whole c-stick thing, of course.
Are you sure you aren't mistaking it with a N64 controller? I've got 5 gamecube controllers and they all have some rubber on the analog stick.

Top Bottom