• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am I the only one with button delay online -- both with friends and with anyone?

pijama

Smash Rookie
Your post sucks. Did you even read this topic? Your post doesn't say anything except "go to Nintendo.com and buy a LAN adapter". Furthermore, people in this topic have said they have said LAN adapter and still experience the button delay. Thanks for nothing.

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
so pretty much from what i understand is that the LAN adapter does NOT help in the 0.5 seconds of delay because if it does i would buy one because that crap is so ANNNNNNNNNNNOOOOYIIINGGG! so much for maining sonic and playin on the internet -_-

ropep0202

Smash Cadet
WE NEED MORE SERVERS NINTENDO.
No pressure. Just millions of people waiting to play.

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
omg i actually played a bunch of games (around 20) with a guy that lives in texas in wifiwars and there wasn't ANY lag AT ALL! not even 0.5 maybe rarely it would have 0.1 lag but THAT you could hardly even tell it was as if he was right next to me playing the wii flawless game. and i live in south florida. im not exaggerating it was that good and im really picky about lag so yea its possible. and by the way i use wireless not the LAN adapter i was considering buying it but only if it helped with the 0.5 sec. delay.

limitbreak

Smash Ace
it's most likely always going to be there, just get used to it

it's really not that big of a deal especially with the move buffering thing they have going
Im pretty sure that I dont want to get used to it. I hate the delay. I was expecting great non lag play online and I really hope that Nintendo finds a way to add more servers are do what ever it takes.

Unexplanetory

Smash Cadet
Yeah I just bought a Wii yesterday with the intent of Brawl online. Now I cant even play that because of this stupid button delay. Seriously Nintendo needs to swallow their pride and become a developer, they don't know how to make consoles...

Metal_Dave

Smash Journeyman
Well I've also have had this issue with the button delay too out of all my matches(both anyone and friends)

Some of the games do have some small bits of lag that occur too, and a rare few actually run perfectly smooth. I've never had any problems with my connection running other games this would be the first for me, and it seems to be a common problem for everyone. Looks like we can only hope that Nintendo does something about it.

Revak

Smash Apprentice
I can say Ive clocked at least 50 online games and not one has had under at least a second delay. If at all one or two that was under 1 second which was 1v1 no items or anything that could lag it. Ive tried both wireless (4 feet from my Wii) and Lan Adapter, and neither have any noticeable differences. I hope by a week most if not all my games will be under a second delay.

Zeenof

Smash Rookie
I hope they fix it soon. I can't show all the little people how to properly use Sonic with all of the delay. It's because Nintendo made this game play on Dedicated servers, and didn't prepare nearly good enough servers for the amount of people that actually play online.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I have played with someone in the same house, with no lag, but when I play with someone across the state, I get the delay.

shortwanabelaker

Smash Journeyman
i have to start sonics run upsmash at the middle of fd to be able to get it off near the edge. this lag is really annoying and i so far am refusing to play online, my 4 or 5 matches that i have played sucked like hell cuz i wasnt able to land a **** attack

Unexplanetory

Smash Cadet
I opened my ports for the Wii and noticed some change in delay, went from .5-1 seconds delay to about .2ish. Which wasnt awful. But then I played a friend and the .5 came back. So I dunno, ive done everything except buy the wired adapter, but i doubt that will help. If anyone finds a solution please post heh.

p00pd0g

Smash Cadet
Ya, I have some delay, but it has seemed to deteriate as I play more games...but I think the main thing is that the servers are swamped, once they fix the routing problems and add more servers it'll be fine.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
I have played with someone in the same house, with no lag, but when I play with someone across the state, I get the delay.
I played against my friend online while we were both in the same house and lag was pretty bad. Then I played against people a few states away and lag was more bearable.

Ced The Lad

Smash Apprentice
I've been getting it for everything as well. I really hope it's the server problem like many have said. If it's my internet, well I have to wait about a week since we're changing from DSL to cable by then.

jamai

Smash Cadet
I have played about 5 'with friends' people, and about 20 games 'with anyone'. The lag on with anyone was considerably less than anyone I played, no matter how close they were to me (which seemed to have absolutely no bearing on speed since the lowest lag was from people about 1000 miles away)

I played this morning on 'with anyone' and experienced about two games with almost no lag, so maybe things are improving.

Fish4JC

Smash Rookie
I've looked around and found out what the problem typically is. The Circle in the top right of your friend's list measures ur connection to them. If it is blue that's great... Green ok.... red(orange) BAD. Playing with people who have green you may experience a .25 second lag... red/orange .5 second.... and blue may experience none at all. I've found that the lag is worse at the beginning of the fight than towards the middle or the end. You can VERY EASILY cope with it. It's bearable... don't complain.

And to answer questions about online with anyone matches... think about it... 4 random people connecting randomly... not gonna be too smooth.

There is a way Nintendo could fix this. Make us pay for a subscription to an online service. Wii Online... but that would screw up their entire game system. So... get used to the little bit of lag that is caused from cross-console connections.

Also... If you don't have DSL, CABLE, T1, or some other form of High-speed internet online play is gonna kinda suck for you. I play with DSL 3MB speeds and have no problems. I mean yeah theres some lag... but it's like this:

Non-Online
-------------
Press button->ACTION

-------
Press Button-->ACTION

think of it this way... as you enter the match you jump.... I always jump to test the lag of the match and I get a feel for it... You know what attacks your going to be doing as you approach someone... you know the timing you need to use on those attacks... with a 2 second delay I could still pull of nice little combos with Metaknight(requires a good bit of knowledge of how he attacks and what does what). Don't complain when within the first week of it appearing in the US the US servers are struggling... if that is the case. Give them about a month to fix it.

Oh yeah... Strikers Charged had its online play problems... but within a few weeks there was little to no lag. I suspect we will get the same for brawl.

I did also notice that once you play a friend 2-3 times the time between matches gets shorter... we were doing online homeruncontest... and it was like... practice sandbag hits the ground and then we are playing.

WiNGSPANTT

Smash Rookie
I think what the vast majority of the people in this thread don't understand is that there are a couple different ways to handle lag, but it cannot be eliminated. People claiming they play other games lag free really mean that those games handle lag differently.

In some games, there is no button lag, you hit "jump" and you jump. However, what if, at the same time you hit jump, another player did an attack that would kill you? The game must have a way to deal with this dilemma with latency. It is possible that you jump, but then just appear dead instantly. Or the game may decide to make that person's attack wiff.

With Brawl it is obvious they decided to implement a button lag, so that no player would ever get an advantage from having an action on his system take priority over someone else's. It's annoying but it could be considered better than attacking people who aren't actually standing where you think, or having large spikes of resets.

Fish4JC

Smash Rookie
I have not experienced a "button lag" online... IF there is such a lag it's unnoticable to me... or I'm just mis-naming it. Basically... the lag varies from fight to fight for me so I don't think they hardcoded in a small amount of "button lag". The past 4 matches I did had no button lag but everyone experienced a lag... sketchy movement..

Unexplanetory

Smash Cadet
Consider yourselves lucky then, cause i have .5 to 1 second delay, and it is not bearable. Wii is Dmz'd and everything has been done. 8 mbs connection. So yeah Brawl rocks...

mthegreatone

Smash Cadet
played one random match today. laggy as heck. i respect the fact that console-to-console connection isn't great to begin with....but there has to be SOMETHING that Nintendo can do on their end to make online more bearable.

as far as i can tell, Sony's free online service seems to be holding up well, so i'm sure Nintendo can pull something off as well.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
I've got a notion that the problem doesn't necessarily lie with the connection, I just played a match online with a friend and had about .5 second delay between button press and attack, however, my opponent did not experience any lag.
I have a high-speed cable modem internet connection.

Dracandros

Smash Cadet
I seem to consistently get .05 to .1 second delays and I occasionally get much bigger delays than that. Since I'm a naturally slow-reaction time person, that little delay is pretty hard for me to bear in any match that isn't a 1-on-1 contest - it's simply too much to handle at once for right now. IMHO, it feels like Brawl 1.0 versus Brawl 1.2.

I know it's early and I'm extremely pleased that the feature is there, but playing competitively online, for me anyway, will be impossible for a little while and still a bit difficult for some time after that.

Eneru

Smash Rookie
I dont think i delay that much. Maybe i dont notice it cause ive been playing online fo a while. I dunno.

BlackFoxPariah

Smash Apprentice
same here. didn't sakurai say that the development team SLAVED over the online play for a seemless gameplay experience? this button delay is pissing me off.
That's sad if they actually worked that hard and they come out with this awful gameplay.

Top Bottom