• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am I the only one who likes tripping?

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
Everybody seems to be angry about the new addition of characters randomly tripping when they are dashing. I see this as something that adds more realism to the game. I know that other fighting games don't have tripping. I also know that some of you will probably say that video games are video games and they aren't to have real world physics. I know that the stuff that happens in Brawl is completely impossible in the real world, but I believe that tripping is a good addition to Brawl.

The only time that you could really get punished for tripping is when you trip right infront of your opponent and they react fast enough and attack you. If you think about it, your opponent doesn't now that you are going to trip, so they also have to react to the fact that you tripped. This could actually be a free hit for the person who tripped, if your opponent doesn't react fast enought. On the other hand, this could mean a KO for you opponent if you're at a high percentage.

I believe that tripping will add a little bit more mindgames into Brawl.

I finally got my Flame Shield!!!

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
so if you lose a match because you trip, you'll be cool with it?

Cranberry Rogue

Smash Journeyman
All tripping does is add uncertainty to the game. It's just an annoying little gameplay feature that does nothing but piss off people that it happens to.

It's not gamebreaking or anything, but it's definitely a flaw.

Foe

Smash Journeyman
This doesn't add realism..

Normally people in a fight don't trip. They may fall after being punched but not tripped..

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
so if you lose a match because you trip, you'll be cool with it?

I will probably be angry for a little while, but I'll evetually get over it because tripping is a part of Brawl.

Also people could trip while fighting, but it doesn't happen very often.

bowz10190

Smash Apprentice
I wish they gave the option for it to be on or off. It'll definitely be an annoyance. Plus the biggest John in the game by far, but a reasonable John.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
So you like tripping for adding realism to a game where a giant penguin with a hammer can fight a talking Fox who pilots a spaceship?

Tripping adds nothing constructive to brawl, it increases the random element of tourney play which should always be as minimal as possible. If your playing for money and you lose a stock because of tripping it really isn't "funny" at all.

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
Trippin' in front of Ike=lost match.

You really need that flameshield.

Azura

Smash Cadet
I'm intrigued by the reasons you've given for liking the tripping mechanic.

I see this as something that adds more realism to the game.
When was the last time you tripped and fell the moment you started running? When you were fire years old? Never?

The only time that you could really get punished for tripping is when you trip right infront of your opponent and they react fast enough and attack you.
As you yourself admitted later on in your post, tripping = free KOs.

I believe that tripping will add a little bit more mindgames into Brawl.
"...". That's all you get from me on that one.

None of your reasons hold up and sound made up on the spot. You don't have to make up reasons to like something; either you do or you don't. So long as you don't claim something that's blatantly wrong like "there should not be an option to turn tripping off", there's no problem.

Dream Chaser

Smash Journeyman
It adds a certain degree of risk to dashing combos/attacks. Its a riskier game, as far as ive seen. That is, making the game more about balancing risk possibly?

Darkurai

Smash Master
Um...what?
When you trip it takes like, three seconds to get up.
In Smash Bros., three seconds may as well be an hour!

monkeyfan1

Smash Rookie
i think it's an interesting addition when your playing friendly matches. it's funny to get an easy smash attack off on someone when they trip.

i can see where it sucks for competitive gameplay, but, i probably won't complain about it too much until it noticeably costs me a number of serious matches lol.

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
It adds a certain degree of risk to dashing combos/attacks. Its a riskier game, as far as ive seen. That is, making the game more about balancing risk possibly?
That's exactly what I mean. I wasn't able to think of a way to say that, but you got it.

I believe that Brawl is now a riskier game, due to it's tripping mechanics. It will make people think before they decide to dash for an opponent. That is how it will add a little bit more mindgames into Brawl.

For example, you are playing as BLANK on Final Destiantion. You are at 165% and your opponent is on the other side of the stage. He/she is at 100%. It is too risky for you to run over there and attack them because you might trip, or they might counter your move and KO you. You decide to wait and let them come after you. If they dash straight towards you, they might trip and you'll possible be able to KO them, depending on what character you're being. Now this is assuming that there are no items in the match and neither of you have a good projectile move.

In the end tripping can work with you or against you. If somebody trips and you're able to get a KO out of it, I'm sure you'll love tripping, but if they KO you because you tripped, you'll probably hate tripping even more.

What's The Point

Smash Master
I like it based on the idea that this is most likely to happen to someone.

Some one buys the game, gets home excitedly ready to play their new favorite game. Perhaps it is with friends. They turn it on, pick their favorite mode, pick their favorite character, and start their first Brawl game. Tilts the stick to the side to get on their way, and is introduced to Brawl by falling flat on their face.

Milk!

Smash Rookie
I sort of like it, because it forces people to use more aerial attacks in my opinion. Which I am good at.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
you guys who are saying it makes you think before you dash up to your opponent are making no sense. you don't only trip when you mindlesslly dash up your opponent. you trip when you strategically run away from you opponent. you trip when you feint like you're going dash forward, but turn back around, you trip when your opponent is left completely open and you've got the perfect opportunity to run up to him.

you trip anytime you ****ing MOVE.
not just when you're playing stupid. tripping doesn't force you to play smart, its random, it has no positive effect on the game WHATSOEVER. If you like tripping, you like a game mechanic that objectively and demonstrably makes the game worse that it would have been without it.
its dumb

if they wanted to make an aerial game, they should have made it like DBZ where you fight in the air, and called it super flying smash bros. whats the purpose of creating all these stages with fantastic landscapes if you don't want people to ****ing fight on them?

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
I sort of like it, because it forces people to use more aerial attacks in my opinion. Which I am good at.
Tripping happens from dashing, not dash attacking, if your opponent is 20 ft away, you're not going to walk over and do an aerial, you're still going to run over, jump and attack.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
I like it so no you aren't alone

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
There is probably some hidden mechanic behind it, we should look deeper into it.

Snoopfrogg

Smash Cadet
This doesn't add realism..

Normally people in a fight don't trip. They may fall after being punched but not tripped..

Because a fighting game including an ape, a space bounty hunter, a robot, and a pokemon aims for realism, amirite?

Tatsujinken

Smash Journeyman
why does everyone complain about tripping it's not that big of a deal i mean all you need to do to avoid it is play with just the A and B buttons!

*bangs head against the wall*

Azura

Smash Cadet
Announcer: SINGLE BUTTON!

"just walk" just doesn't fly, mate. part of the reason that tripping is so annoying in the first place is that dashing is essential.

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
Before saying something is good or bad, think of it from Sakuria's perspective: Why did he choose to add this? I highly doubt it was to make the game more random. I also doubt it was because "It would be a funny addition."

Maybe he foresaw something, or found some awkward movement frame combinations, and determined we should be penalized for them. MAYBE.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
I remember the Play2Win podcast saying that people could/were short hopping across the stage just to avoid tripping. As much as I hate to say it, I can imagine that being the norm.

Hmaal

Smash Journeyman
I agree with you I've always wanted something like that added to a game.
I'm with you and glad you made this thread.
Congrats!

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman
I understand your reasoning, but unless you play competitively, you've got no basis for arguement. If I lost a money match to tripping, I'd be pissed and you would be to. If you just play with your friends, its really no big deal at all.

But I fail to see Sakurai's logic in it. And yes, I hate it.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Also people could trip while fighting, but it doesn't happen very often.
Your analogy breaks down somewhere right around here: In a fight you trip because, well, YOU screwed up and weren't careful about how you were moving. If you are a skilled fighter or you take special care, you won't trip. In Brawl, YOUR actions have very little to do with tripping. It's no longer a punishment for messing up in some way-- it's a punishment for nothing at all.

Top Bottom