• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Am I the only one who find the 3DS version... satisfying?

WwwWario

Smash Ace
I can't explain it. But compared to the Wii U version, there's something satisfying with it, not sure if it's the smaller screen (which would be weird, I like big screens and good graphics), if it's the controls - I don't know. It's the experience.

Maybe it's the fact that there's no HUD in the screen where the action happens, which makes it feel more... I don't know, directly? Eh, I don't know how to explain it. I'm just wondering if someone feels the same. I prefer the Wii U version, because of better controls and better graphics, but there's something about the 3DS version that I find very satisfying while playing compared to the Wii U version.

D

Deleted member

Perhaps, the fact that a handheld Smash Bros. is a reality must be the reason why it's satisfying for you. *laughs*
Nah, I'm just saying a bad joke. I find it satisfying as well.

Neldy09

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3883-7038-5930
I don't have a Wii U so i don't really have a choice in the matter, but I've long since accustomed myself with the physical aspects of playing Sm4sh on the 3ds and it just feels off when I hold a GameCube controller. The game's pace is different from the Wii (maybe slower, and with a little less control), but I wouldn't say worse. I ultimately don't think there's a lot of good in comparing them too much though, they're different and that's okay.

Edit: But to get back on topic, yes I highly enjoy playing on my 3DS.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I enjoy playing the 3DS version just as much as I enjoy the Wii U version. I mean, it's Smash Bros. on a handheld console. I've always wanted for this to happen.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
I have the same. Playing Smash on a tiny screen gives me a relaxing and cozy feeling, something I don't get while playing the Wii U version. Not to say I don't like the Wii U version, because I enjoy that version a lot as well.

Photon Jet

Smash Rookie
You're not the only one who thinks the 3DS version is great. It's really good just like the Wii U version.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
It's quite a fun because it lets you sit back and explore Smash without anybody around you, possibly. Not to mention, it houses a more classic mode than others. Smash Run is also infinitely more engaging than Smash Tour ever could be.

I tend to study characters and other things in that game or just enjoy entire crossovering madness that lets me also look back to the library if Nintendo-games from both DS and 3DS. And there's also all the Melee/Brawl-nostalgia. It's sweet~

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would put it down to that for me personally I feel as if I don't have as much control over my character as I do in Wii U so getting a win on 3Ds is that little bit more satisfying.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Not alone dude, I really enjoy 3ds more than wii u. (Don't own a wii u, but I personally like the 3ds better).

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
In all honesty, I miss the 3DS version. Currently, I can't play my copy because my Circle Pad is busted, limiting what games I can efficiently play on my 3DS.

There's a certain charm about having portable Sm4sh; you can whip out your 3DS for some quick bouts with strangers or some friends while killing time at school.

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
In all honesty, I miss the 3DS version. Currently, I can't play my copy because my Circle Pad is busted, limiting what games I can efficiently play on my 3DS.

There's a certain charm about having portable Sm4sh; you can whip out your 3DS for some quick bouts with strangers or some friends while killing time at school.
Or just play when ever the heck ya want really. there is something just fantastic about sitting down, pikcing your character, puttingon custom stuff, and then putting everything [except yourself] on random JUST to see what happens. Usually I put my characters power ups on random as well. Only thing not random is WHO im playing XD [which makes thins interesting specially if your playing Full set characters or characters with massive move changes like palutena XD]

Oh quick questions real quick...
If ya just pick random stages, do ya need to use the omega button to play teh FD stage versiosn or Will the FD versions also have a shot of just appearing??
Also if a computer picks a character you dont have all the moves for, does teh computer cheat and use moves you dont have unlocked? Or does it stick with what ya have currently?
All honesty though, now that Hyrule warriors is comming to 3ds, I have next to no reason to get a Wii U.
though my own circle pad is busted so I MIGHT upgrade to a new 3ds..
BTW are there any changes in play between 3ds and new 3ds, and just for data how about compared to the 2ds?

Last edited:

Soul.

Maybe it's the fact that you win matches by playing on a handheld.
I prefer this game over the Wii U version; how can I not like handheld Smash. Wii U is still a good game.
BTW are there any changes in play between 3ds and new 3ds, and just for data how about compared to the 2ds?
The game is the same when played on a New 3DS. It just adds C-Stick, ZL and ZR button compability.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Oh quick questions real quick...
If ya just pick random stages, do ya need to use the omega button to play teh FD stage versiosn or Will the FD versions also have a shot of just appearing??
No, you have to press X if you want to play or randomize an Omega stage.

Also if a computer picks a character you dont have all the moves for, does teh computer cheat and use moves you dont have unlocked? Or does it stick with what ya have currently?
Can't help you with this one, I assume it sticks to the custom moves you have.

Outside of what @ Soul. Soul. said, it also loads faster and doesn't have to restart every time you press the Home Button when you're playing Smash. Plus you can only post pictures of Smash 3DS on Miiverse if you use a N3DS, but that's not relevant.

Only buy a N3DS when you either don't have a 3DS or when your regular 3DS/2DS is about to break. OR if you want to play MH4U/Xenoblade 3D/any N3DS-exclusive.

Last edited:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace

You can play it without the circle pad... but there is just one problem... you need to install a mod (NOT HOMEBREW) to your 3ds and buy a device that allows gameplay with a gamecube controller when plugged in

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
No, you have to press X if you want to play or randomize an Omega stage.

Can't help you with this one, I assume it sticks to the custom moves you have.

Outside of what @ Soul. Soul. said, it also loads faster and doesn't have to restart every time you press the Home Button when you're playing Smash. Plus you can only post pictures of Smash 3DS on Miiverse if you use a N3DS, but that's not relevant.

Only buy a N3DS when you either don't have a 3DS or when your regular 3DS/2DS is about to break. OR if you want to play MH4U/Xenoblade 3D/any N3DS-exclusive.
you can already post 3ds smash pics on Miiverse. I have posted a few myself with my 3ds.
you can also play Monster hunter 4 U perfectly fine on 3ds, and my little sis plays on 2ds.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
you can already post 3ds smash pics on Miiverse. I have posted a few myself with my 3ds.
you can also play Monster hunter 4 U perfectly fine on 3ds, and my little sis plays on 2ds.
My apologies. I thought MH4U was N3DS-exclusive, but it isn't.
And guess I was wrong about the Miiverse part as well, lol.

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
My apologies. I thought MH4U was N3DS-exclusive, but it isn't.
And guess I was wrong about the Miiverse part as well, lol.
sorry about how I responded a bit rudely.. rl issues keepingme from my PS3 <_< in short.. moved furniture for maintenance yesterday.. and they STILL havent arrived.. so. My tv is behind my now couch mode futon.. meaning I cant play on it.. -sigh-
Still sorry if I sounded rude. -soft bow-

aparently the n3ds version of Monster hunter 4 is seen as super superior due to the Extra stick giving better camera control I guess? I never really had problems with it since most ofmy time is.. slow turn.. and AW CRAP LOCK ON AND RUN XD

Last edited:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
sorry about how I responded a bit rudely.. rl issues keepingme from my PS3 <_< in short.. moved furniture for maintenance yesterday.. and they STILL havent arrived.. so. My tv is behind my now couch mode futon.. meaning I cant play on it.. -sigh-
Still sorry if I sounded rude. -soft bow-

aparently the n3ds version of Monster hunter 4 is seen as super superior due to the Extra stick giving better camera control I guess? I never really had problems with it since most ofmy time is.. slow turn.. and AW CRAP LOCK ON AND RUN XD
Don't worry, I didn't take it as rude. :)
And as I don't own MH4, I can't say much outside the textures and framerate on a N3DS are better than the regular 3DS.

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
I have the same. Playing Smash on a tiny screen gives me a relaxing and cozy feeling, something I don't get while playing the Wii U version. Not to say I don't like the Wii U version, because I enjoy that version a lot as well.
I think that's a good way of putting it, really. This probably sounds silly, but I actually like the easier challenges in Smash 3DS. I'm also a fan of the stages in that game; I tend to prefer its stage selection to the Wii U's (probably because I'm not so big on giant stages), though obviously that's a big time personal preference. Smash Run is a highlight for me as well. I haven't had much of a chance to do it multiplayer, but I've liked single player Smash Run both because I feel the different enemies add to the crossover feel of the game and because the final battles have a decent amount of variety given that they're not all just smashes.

Smash 3DS definitely doesn't have all of the options the Wii U version does and doesn't look or sound as nice (or arguably control as well). That's true. But it's a portable Smash that I've found to be super easy to pick up and play whenever.

Last edited:

Zenigame.

Smash Rookie
I personally find the controls more comfortable than a Gamecube controller. I don't have a Wii U yet, but I plan to get one. Can you use the 3ds as a controller online?

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
Can you use the 3ds as a controller online?
Unfortunately, I don't think you can. As far as I know, it can only be used locally in Smash, 8 Player Smash, and Special Smash.

It might be worth experimenting with the Wii U Game Pad/Pro Controller to see if you can emulate the feel of the 3DS controls with them. I think the button layouts of the Game Pad and 3DS are pretty similar though obviously the controllers feel different in your hands than the 3DS does.

Last edited:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
I think that's a good way of putting it, really. This probably sounds silly, but I actually like the easier challenges in Smash 3DS. I'm also a fan of the stages in that game; I tend to prefer its stage selection to the Wii U's (probably because I'm not so big on giant stages), though obviously that's a big time personal preference. Smash Run is a highlight for me as well. I haven't had much of a chance to do it multiplayer, but I've liked single player Smash Run both because I feel the different enemies add to the crossover feel of the game and because the final battles have a decent amount of variety given that they're not all just smashes.

Smash 3DS definitely doesn't have all of the options the Wii U version does and doesn't look or sound as nice (or arguably control as well). That's true. But it's a portable Smash that I've found to be super easy to pick up and play whenever.
I agree. While the grinding and 'Get 5 StreetSmash hits' challenges may be a pain, they're at least hammerable. 'Beat Classic 9.0 with no stock loss' on the Wii U for example is impossible for me to beat, because it can't be hammered and I'm not good enough at Smash to do it. So for me the 3DS version has the perfect difficulty, but that's personal.

I don't really have a preference for what version has the better stages whatsoever. They both have good (Prism Tower, Skyloft) and bad (Paper Mario, Orbital Assault) stages. I do prefer the returning stages of the 3DS though, I'm only not a fan of Distant Planet.

And yeah, I like Smash Run a lot too. Maybe it's a little too easy to win (settings would've helped immensely), but I've played it too many times to count and I'm still not sick of it. Plus it's better than Smash Tour. :p

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I find the 3DS version pretty good, especially on the New 3DS. I also prefer the classic mode on 3DS significantly over the Wii U version (although Master Fortress is pretty cool). Also, you can't beat the handheld version on the go. I'm still impressed they get it to run at a consistent 60 frames per second on the meager 3DS. Very impressive.

But generally, I'll always go for the Wii U version. Just can't top the GameCube control scheme.

Last edited:

Neku ネク

Smash Apprentice
Personally, if I had the choice, I'd use the WiiU version. It allows you to use the Game Cube controllers, which makes it easier to pull off certain techs. I can't perform some techs on the 3DS like I can with a controller. The 3DS isn't that bad, though. It just won't give you the chance to advance your gameplay.

JANKX

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4871-3927-9545
Am I the only one who prefers 3DS controls over the GCN controller? I can perfect pivot incredibly consistently with the circle pad, and I find the c-stick almost incredibly useless due to the fact that this game doesn't require fast inputs like Melee. Also, when I play the Wii U version, I am always doing JC grabs because my muscle memory from Melee is far too ingrained within me. At this point I'm considering getting an alternative controller exclusively for Smash Wii U, but that's besides the point...

Back on topic, I love that I can take Smash with me anywhere I go. It's awesome to find random Smashers in public and being able to play matches. If I'm with a group of friends playing Wii U, it's still possible to 1v1 or lab while the TV is occupied by others.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
I usually play the 3DS version more, since I am out of the house a lot. I use the 3DS version so much that I even use it as a controller during tournaments. I don't know why, but the button layout helps me to play better on Wii U than any other controller. As a game, I like the Wii U version beter.

I dunno why, but I feel like I play differently depending on the version that I am playing on. On 3DS, I play a lot more defensively, and I don't go offstage much. On Wii U, I notice that I go for more follow-ups and tend to do things like perfect shield more.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I dunno why, but I feel like I play differently depending on the version that I am playing on. On 3DS, I play a lot more defensively, and I don't go offstage much. On Wii U, I notice that I go for more follow-ups and tend to do things like perfect shield more.
I definitely have different playstyles on the two versions. I do crazier stuff on Wii U just because I feel like I can really play rough with my GameCube controller and it'll be fine (or at least easily replaceable), whereas I really try not to mess up my 3DS Circle Pad too much, so I play with a bit more of a conservative style. My playstyles are more similar between the two than they used to be, though, since I got a New 3DS with its C-stick. Definitely makes those backwards short hop knees a lot easier!:4falcon:

Last edited:

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
For me, its 100% the fact that its a handheld Smash Bros. There is just something so incredible to me that I'm playing something laying down in bed with no TV that back in 2001 I would have NEVER thought would be handheld

JANKX

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4871-3927-9545
I use the 3DS version so much that I even use it as a controller during tournaments.
I tried using the 3DS controller on the Wii U but it felt noticeably laggy. Are you a technical player who uses rapid dash-dancing, fox-trot pivots, pivot f-smashes, etc.? I'm really curious how you got used to it.

KKSgaming

Smash Rookie
I am fan but only on new 3ds. i love it since it something i joked about have smash portable ever since n64. so it great have wish come true:)

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
Smash run is really fun... Hopefully they add it to the wiiu version later on(with online). The 3ds version is also pretty convenient which is a big reason. The wiiu version is obviously way better though.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
I don't have a WiiU, so I'm kinda stuck with the 3DS, but from my experience, I prefer the 3DS. I feel like it's easier to keep track of the action, and I can practice whenever I feel like it, without being chained to the TV. Ironically, if I have to play with the gamepad, I find I play better if I watch the controller's screen than the TV. Maybe it's just that I like not having to scan the screen to find the action, I can see all aspects clearly at once on a small screen.

Or I could be full of :mad088:, who knows.

Riuvee

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiuAuraeon
3DS FC
4296-3444-5420
I still like the 3DS version. In my eyes, it's nowhere obsolete.

Though nowadays, I stopped playing as much... only because my 3DS battery is on life support now. It can't go for 10 minutes unless it's plugged in, I need to get a replacement whenever I can...

GreenMonkey

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3411-4102-3196
I still like the 3DS version. In my eyes, it's nowhere obsolete.

Though nowadays, I stopped playing as much... only because my 3DS battery is on life support now. It can't go for 10 minutes unless it's plugged in, I need to get a replacement whenever I can...
Agreed. If Nintendo considered portable Smash to be pointless or less worthy than the Wii U version, I doubt they would take the time to develop and market it. However, with that perspective, maybe they should have tried to mess around with a DS version of Melee or Brawl...

Tbh, i think portable Brawl would have been a pretty neat idea, if not a huge hit. Maybe it didn't happen because of limitations with the DS's hardware?

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
I'm still impressed with the amount of characters that the 3DS is able to hold. There's over 50 fighters, and the game isn't even over 3Gs yet. The 3DS version can stand on its own pretty well.

Top Bottom