• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am I missing out on Metroid?

andytw710

Smash Cadet
To be honest I've been playing games forever but I've never really gotten into the metroid series. Now with the virtual console and well being able to play Gamecube games I am interested. Am I missing out on some metroid?

Patinator

Smash Champion
Well, if you would like to play games with darker storylines than average Nintendo games, then go for it. I have Metroid Prime 3. It's hard, but I like it.

(Warning: Unless you're in it for Wi-Fi, don't bother with Metroid Prime Corruption for DS. From experience, the single-player was rushed. Incredibly hard, frustrating, annoying, etc.)

andytw710

Smash Cadet
I'd love some darker storylines...I might go out and pick up either first two Metroid Primes while I wait for Brawl.

Patinator

Smash Champion
I'll warn you, andytw: the control scheme for Metroid Prime 1 and 2 is a little messed up. You can't move and shoot at once. I recommend MP3, but it's your choice. If you're lucky, you can pick up a GBA one, or Metroid/Super Metroid on the Virtual Console.

Yugufu

Smash Rookie
Metroid for NES and Super Metroid for SNES are awesome. As for the prime games, first was ok. I didn't really get into the series much since it went over to Gamecube/Wii though.. not sure why.

S2

Smash Lord
They're good.

I'd highly recommend that you either pick up Super Metroid of VC or the original Metroid Prime on Cube.

Both are absolutely excellent games that really are highpoints in the series. That isn't to say the rest of the series isn't good, but those 2 are especially well done. Some have gone as far as to call them some of the best games ever made.

Prime 3 is awesome, but storywise, it kinda assumes you've played the other two prime games. I'd avoid the original Metroid if possible. Its fun, but its not the best way for a new player to jump in as it feels dated compared to the SNES version.

antimatter

Smash Lord
if you want multiplayer fragfests with people around the world, playing as one of seven different bounty hunters, get Metroid Prime DS. but, like patinator said, the story is not the reason for buying it. i've had it since it first came out, and i'm still stuck at the second go around at the celestial archives.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
I'll warn you, andytw: the control scheme for Metroid Prime 1 and 2 is a little messed up. You can't move and shoot at once.
You can, actually.

Normally, you can't move and aim, but there's a big difference between not being able to aim and not being able to shoot. Also, the lockon system that's in the games make it so this isn't really a problem when you're fighting.

Metroid definitely doesn't have standard FPS controls, but you don't have to stand still every time you want to fire your weapon.

MechanizedDeviousFox

Smash Journeyman
Haven't played MP 2 or 3, though I've heard they're both great games, but I DID play Metroid Prime, simply because I heard it was a great game when it first came out, and only knowing Samus through the Smash series, I checked it out, and it was the best usage of 50 dollars I've ever come across. Ever.

The graphics were astounding for a GameCube game, it rivaled Halo's, and it made you so **** immersed in the game, you didn't want to put it down.

It was quite hard at times, espeically if you're new to FPS's or Metroid games like I was, but you get the flow of it. Even now, after 6 years, it's still a great game. I can't want to try the 3rd one, heard it matches up to the original..

andytw710

Smash Cadet
I think I'll be buying Super Metroid on the VC this week and wait to hear a bit more about the Prime series. I'm not sure how much I like having to stand still in order to shoot.

MechanizedDeviousFox

Smash Journeyman
I think I'll be buying Super Metroid on the VC this week and wait to hear a bit more about the Prime series. I'm not sure how much I like having to stand still in order to shoot.
I'm not sure if MP:3 is the same as the first two, but I remember playing Halo ALOT, before I got MP:1. I hardly noticed the change in having to stand still and shoot. It was different, yes, but it flowed so naturally, I didn't mind it, heck I didn't even notice it at first. If that's all you're worried about, then don't be.. I can assure you it'll come to you easy.

antimatter

Smash Lord
you can move and shoot for Metroid Prime 3. as a matter of fact, you'd die almost instantly in that game otherwise.

sync

Smash Apprentice
Yep, that's how you aim. But there's a lockon system, as was said before, so that isn't an issue, really.

onlymaskde

Smash Lord
Good job with deciding on Super Metroid as your first Metroid game. That one's my favorite. After you're done with it (which shouldn't take very long, but it depends on the player), head for the two original Prime games for GC. In comparison of all three Primes, Prime 3 is the worst in terms of story and audio; in the middle for gameplay. The controls in it are definitely the best, but since you haven't played it yet you wouldn't know what you're missing as long as you play the other two Primes before it. :D

Mike87

Smash Ace
Well, if you would like to play games with darker storylines than average Nintendo games, then go for it. I have Metroid Prime 3. It's hard, but I like it.

(Warning: Unless you're in it for Wi-Fi, don't bother with Metroid Prime Corruption for DS. From experience, the single-player was rushed. Incredibly hard, frustrating, annoying, etc.)
Its actually called Metrioid Prime Hunters. and Yeah I heard the single player is nothing special.

Prime 1 was an awesome game it is up there with Super Metroid, as far as the Best Metroid game goes.

Echoes was good but it was tedious to say the least.
I havent beaten Coruption yet, but so far its great.

Yeah. I just looked at MP2's control scheme in the MP1 booklet. Hold R and move the control stick to aim.

...WTF?!

Yeah, it might seem odd for people who are used to playing FPS games.

Falco_Friend

Smash Rookie
If you want to check out Metroid, Super Metroid is the perfect place to start. The GBA games, Zero Mission and Fusion are great as well. If you are into FPS, Metroid Prime is good, but in my opinion, they are...inferior to the 2D Metroids. Zero Mission is pretty easy to get into, as there are hints in it if you get stuck, which is something Super Metroid doesn't have. Metroid Fusion right out tells you exactly what to do in unskippable mission briefings. Don't get the original Metroid though, as it is pretty much unplayble by today's standards.

Patinator

Smash Champion
I just started playing Prime 1 for the first time since I got it just last Christmas. I beat the first part with only one retry; it's not that bad actually.

...Of course, now I'm stuck in both that AND Prime 3.

...But I'll say: Prime Hunters has an AWESOME multiplayer! :D

Yoshistar64

Smash Journeyman
...But I'll say: Prime Hunters has an AWESOME multiplayer! :D
Ha, yeah. With all them different game modes, Excellent Wi-fi play (I hate hackers), and the ability to play hide and seek, this is something worth sitting down with your friends for.

Patinator

Smash Champion
It's uber-fun and I can't do multi-card play...

:D

Although, there's three of us, and my pal and I normally gang up on his sister. ^^; Only problem, right there.

S2

Smash Lord
Heck, Super Metroid's been called the best game ever before. I really wish I could use the VC now.
Super Metroid is really something special.

I actually had never played it until recently when I found a copy at a thrift store. Its not often that you play a game that's over a decade old and find yourself completely blown away by just how good it is.

It's practically a perfect game. That's subjective, since someone can always argue that more content could be there. But what's presented is polished and fun. Its a speed-runners dream as well. One of the few games where literally every part of the package is near perfect.

Yeah, I've played most of the Metroids and many of them are top knotch, but something about Super Metroid simply makes it a cut above the rest.

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!
To be honest I've been playing games forever but I've never really gotten into the metroid series. Now with the virtual console and well being able to play Gamecube games I am interested. Am I missing out on some metroid?

Andy, you aren't, it's just like every other friggin First Person Shooter with some very cool plot twists. I think you're better off playing the Super Nintendo side-scroller Metroids.

antimatter

Smash Lord
does every other friggin fps have mutant insect space pirates led by an evil dragon that you can actually fight? no. but, the side scrollers are better.

Zeela12

Smash Ace
first try super metroid, or metroid zero mission. If you like those games, then I'd say start playing metroid games seriously, like metroid fusion, and metroid prime games.

Top Bottom