• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am I assessing all my flaws? Lucas help, plz!

underpowered

Smash Cadet
I play Ike, normally, but I'm learning Lucas and my friend is learning Ryu. I think our games go about 60/40 with him ahead, currently. We're noobs (play 0-1 times a week) and only play online (we have no local smash friends.) (My brothers play online too, but even more infrequently.)

Here's some online matches I lost that were "OK" I feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKFbDFNSbRI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-33kc0m0KjY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6vGL6eCkl4

Here's my assessment, even though virtually everything I do is bad, I feel including (most importantly) spacing, timing, punishing reading, recovering, etc.

* I need to consistently deal with Hadoken better. ONCE or twice I'll get a fsmash reflect, once or twice I'll absorb, but most times I just flub and end up getting dash attacked.
* I need to stop recovering in the air towards my opponent. Stop trying to dair into his goddamn shoryuken! Keep your eyes on the opponent and air dodge better!
* I need to stop approaching without a real plan, rushing headlong into smashes.
* I need to capitalize more and safer on grab follow ups. I could have ended some games with a throw much earlier than I eventually got the kill.
* Better spot dodging! Though, I usually think of that after I whiff a grab, and then it's too much end lag to do. Argh.
* Face the right direction! Space your zairs properly! I got a few zair into ftilts, that's a good idea!

What stands out to you as bad? Am I being too offensive, defensive, or just offensive/defensive at the wrong times? Also, am I using dair appropriately and just missing spacing/timing a lot or am I just throwing out an unsafe move stupidly? Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Thanks for any help, guys!

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
I can't watch your videos because my phone is being stupid, but right off the bat from what you listed I can tell you stop trying to reflect or absorb his hadoukens. F-smash is too much of a commitment for a very low reward, and absorbing it is only useful if you have actual damage and can immediately cancel it with a jump. Your best bet against hadouken is to just zair through it to beat it out, or use it to activate a PK Fire.

Lucas has a horrible time challening juggles, so it's best to just retreat if you're in the air, especially because Ryu has that shoryuken (which is not really that strong unless he hits you at the start) and that stupid stupid up air of his that has gigantic hitboxes for absolutely no reason.

About approaching: don't. Lucas had no reliable approach options. Your best bet is to harass your opponent into action with zairs and PK Fires, then react to what your opponent chooses to do.

If you whiff a grab, try to mash out a jab (frame 2) or a down tilt (frame 3) if you're facing your opponent as he rushes in for the punish, or an up tilt (frame 4) if he's behind you. It's better than spot dodging or rolling, but don't do it too often otherwise he'll just run up, shield, then punish your attack just as well. Keep mixing it up.

KaptenFullkorn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Magnetgoat
Hey man, fun to hear you picked up Lucas! Here's some friendly pointers:

grounded pk fires are quite easy to punish. Try to limit your PK fires to reatreating sh pkf and approach /poke with zair

• zair eats hadouken (and many other projectiles for that matter)
  • safer ways to secure the grab: on low % sourspot ftilt, close hit on dtilt. jab 1 & 2 or jab 1 & 2 - dtilt to grab
  • dair autocanvels in a fulljump, but not in a shorthop
  • know Lucas limits, most times you are better off reseting to neutral and backing off rather than putting yourself in an unsafe position

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
If you feel like these matches went "ok", you must have gotten annihilated other times. You're right, your basics are pretty shoddy. You were making reads, but I'm not sure what you were reading. There were a lot of times that you just did nothing. Did you play these matches online? They look almost like there's some kind of input delay, but I could be wrong. Your timing is definitely off, and you don't seem to exhibit knowledge of the moves. Practice them in training, get a feel for how long uncharged smashes take to come out and how much lag they have on them at the end (how long does it take you to be able to move after the move has ended?). Do the same for your specials, and really learn the spacing on PK Fire. Remember that you can tether to the stage and not have to risk PK Thunder all the time.

You rely a lot on dair, but in reality it isn't a very safe move. It doesn't cover your landing anywhere near as well as you seem to think it does, and you typically seem to land in the middle of it, causing a lot of lag. Just avoid it unless you do it while rising from your second jump. You also do a lot of ballsy things that work out for you only because you got lucky. Like JosePollo mentioned, Lucas is a defensive character, and does well to keep it in mind. Force an approach and when your opponent leaves themselves open, that's the time for Lucas to shine. His nair combos into itself at low percents and if your opponent fails to DI correctly (or if your read their DI), you can drag them off the stage and immediately go into a sweetspot bair. Vs Ryu, that'll take the stock.

Keep in mind that every time you play your friend, he's going to learn about the way you play. You should learn what he does too - never let him get away with the same trick twice. If you want to win every time, mix up how you play, try new things, and force him to learn you all over again. It doesn't seem like you're getting super discouraged from losing, so if you keep practicing and never giving up, you'll get there. Also, if you have time and actually want to get better, take advantage of where you live. Smash in California is huge - you might not have close personal friends who play Smash, but you might find some new friends when you go out and look for an active Smash scene. You don't have to jump right into tournaments, you'll probably find someone hosting friendlies if you look hard enough. Go out to tournaments just to watch, it's great fun and there's normally one or two stations that aren't used, especially after some people get eliminated. Not to knock the advice given on these forums, but you'll never get the kind of help online that you can get from someone in person who can talk to you as you do something, you know? The best part about the Smash community in general is that no matter how good someone is, they're typically really willing and ready to help someone else get better, if for no other reason than to have someone else to play against.

Above everything else - don't get discouraged. If you love this game, and you love your character, you'll get where you're going.

underpowered

Smash Cadet
> There were a lot of times that you just did nothing. Did you play these matches online?

Yeah, these were online and the lag is ... it makes the games look stupid because we're often having to time things to where it feels like we're reacting but then when you watch the replay it looks silly. The delay had something to do with that, but also just being bad doesn't help. ;)

> If you feel like these matches went "ok", you must have gotten annihilated other times.

Actually I often beat him, but posting matches you win doesn't seem to be as useful as posting matches you lose.

Thanks for the tips!

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
I completely misunderstood what you meant when you said they were ok matches that you lost - I interpreted that as "I lose about 90% of the time, and these are my best showings". In all honesty, I feel like matches where I've won are places for me to learn, too. It's easy to write it off as "I won that, I couldn't have done anything better", but until you've JV 3'd your opponent in under a minute, there's theoretically something you could have done better, right? :troll:

Seriously though, not to be down on myself or anyone that wins, but I view victory as the outcome of making fewer mistakes. Watch your wins and criticize them equally - where did you go unpunished for doing something risky, what moments did you essentially waste time (not spacing, not approaching, just nothing), where did you not make an optimal follow up - things like that. A lot of the other stuff is opinion, but that first one I mentioned is what I judge myself the most on. It's another easy write off, since you can blame your opponent for it at first, but you have to keep in mind that your opponent is going to come back stronger and ready for that trick again. In the best case scenario, they're ready to punish every bad move you make, right?

If you ever get a chance, post some of your in person play. Online play can be tolerable sometimes, but it puts glaring flaws into your gameplay that make you seem to have problems you don't have, many of which I pointed out in my previous post. It really explains why your PSI magnets were coming out so late, I guess.

Crudele

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xbulsajawnx
It's great that you're self-analyzing, not many folks are willing to admit and point out what they do wrong. Here's a few notes, just from what I've seen:

• Use Dthrow, unless you're trying to kill or gain stage control by throwing them off stage for an edgeguard. Dthrow to any aerial. Nair is great at low percents, uair is guaranteed and awesome for killing later, bair/fair can work, dair can be a good mixup. Use Uthrow to kill around 140ish%, depending on rage, character weight, stage ceiling, etc.
  • Definitely shorthop your pk fires. Lucas pushes himself back, making it a lot less easy to punish.
  • When you whiff a grab or an fsmash, the ryu runs in to try to get the punish. Jab comes out on frame 2, so you can stuff his approaches more with jab.
  • Watch and analyze what some solid lucas's do in tournament matches. I would recommend pink fresh at xanadu, he's doing some cool things with lucas.
  • Play off wifi if you can. The videos look like a replay of a super laggy match, I could be wrong though.
Good luck!

High Entia

Smash Rookie
First off, nice to see you're picking up Lucas. I'm not too knowledgeable on Ike's matchups but, as a dual Lucas-Shulk main, they cover one another's bad matchups quite nicely in my opinion and, since Shulk is sort of a worse Ike with stat boosts, I assume dual maining Ike and Lucas would have the same effect only better. Forgive me if I'm wrong, though.

Now, these are my suggestions:
-You're focusing way too much at absorbing/reflecting Hadoken. Just ZAir it. It's a much quicker option and the damage you would either regain or give to Ryu isn't that great. Hadoken isn't even that good of a projectile to begin with. If Ryu starts to spam Hadoken, then you could maybe try using PSI Magnet to get a few percent and tell Ryu that isn't going to work. However, if Ryu just throws out one or two and rushes in, just ZAir them.

-Shorthop your PK Fires. PK Fire is quicker and less punishable when shorthopped.

-Now... about approaching... DON'T. Lucas lacks any way to reliably approach opponents. Don't feel you have to approach opponents, especially considering you're fighting Ryu. Ryu wants you close because that's where he can mess you up. The way I go about playing the neutral as Lucas is to use a lot of ZAirs and PK Fires in order to force my opponent to approach. If an opponent is forced to do something they don't want to, chances are they aren't going to be able to properly think through what they want to do. This means that they're more likely to make mistakes and leave themselves open to punishes which Lucas can REALLY capitalize on. Speaking of punishes, I really liked the punish you got in the second match to take Ryu's first stock. You moved forward in the air to make Ryu think you were trying to land on top of him. As a result, Ryu did a Shoryuken, which you read, moved back to avoid, and punished with an Up Smash for the kill. Very Smart.

-Grabs... This is probably the biggest thing you need to work on other than approaching. You seem pretty capable of getting the grab, but you're not capitalizing on it as best as you could. You almost always Up Throw after getting the grab, no matter the percent. Up Throw isn't a combo throw and is instead a kill throw that kills anywhere in the 120-140% range depending on the character and rage. You're going to want to Down Throw on lower percents. Down Throw can easily equate to anywhere between 20% to 50% with Lucas... and, on a really good day, even more. As long as you read your opponent's DI, Down Throw can lead into ANY of his aerials and up tilt (which also sets up for aerials). Down Throw into NAir can chain into itself for a load of damage. Down Throw into FAir is good as a mixup on mid to high percents. Down Throw into BAir or DAir, if the spike hitbox hits, can set up for a reset if the opponent doesn't tech. Down Throw into UAir is a true combo until the early to mid 100s depending on the character and rage as long as you properly read the DI. Back Throw can kill near the edge around 125% or so and Up Throw, as mentioned before, can kill anywhere from 120%-140% depending on the character and rage.

-Another mistake I see is that you're landing very close to your opponent (in this case, Ryu) and are getting punished for it. Lucas lacks a reliable landing option, so your best bet is to just land away from your opponent and reset neutral.

-Also, don't be afraid to go deep for edgeguards with Lucas. He has one of the best recoveries in the game, distance wise, so you don't have to worry about going too deep to recover.

-And, on the topic of recovery, don't be afraid to mix it up. Use a mixture of Rope Snake and PK Thunder to keep your opponent guessing on how you'll come back.

-And, finally, one little tip about fighting Ryu: Ryu has one of the worst air accelerations and air velocities in the game. This means that, when Ryu jumps in any direction (usually at you) he commits to that direction. The only thing he can do to reverse his momentum is use his second jump and it's never good to be without your second jump in Smash. If Ryu jumps at you, just note that he's committed to that direction and respond accordingly.

Last edited:

underpowered

Smash Cadet
So, my friend came into town (and city, jk) and we played some offline matches.

He was playing Greninja mostly and doesn't play much Ryu anymore.

I learned some stuff... mostly Lucas is not very safe on shield, so I have to pace myself "going in" vs retreating and spacing.

I need to do better on the ledge and some other aspects, but I'll just leave these here, a few of our closer games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B46yTMtkyIg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yw0mFw6kRU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-mg6jELJ4k

I am slowly learning (though I haven't been playing much as of late) but any input is appreciated.

Last edited:

K3H

Smash Cadet

I learned some stuff... mostly Lucas is not very safe on shield, so I have to pace myself "going in" vs retreating and spacing.

I need to do better on the ledge and some other aspects, but I'll just leave these here, a few of our closer games.

I am slowly learning (though I haven't been playing much as of late) but any input is appreciated.
You need to work on follow ups, reaction time, edge guarding, and playing actively.

You pretty much only did a Nair after throwing him, which is good, but it stops working at higher percents. You could have still been getting solid follow ups on him, instead of the last hit of Nair. Jabbing is good, but his Dtilt comes out one frame slower (frame 2 and 3 respectively) so it's the same speed as multiple characters' jab. And it can start combos. It can leat into any Tilt, and even some aerials. To overcome Lucas' low damage output, you really need to maximize the damage you're doing.

For reaction time, there were times when you'd just get hit. It didn't look like there were any attempts to dodge, or possibly challenge with any offensive option of your own. You also missed out on some punish opportunities because of this as well. A lot of times he would rush you and you'd just take the hit. And getting hut by that Dair as many times as you did was completely unnecessary. It's easy to react to and punish.

For edge guarding, I genuinely wondered what your goal of SH Dairing the ledge was. I mean, yeah a spike, but how would that happen? You'd have to full hop it fr the spiking hit box to even come out any way. You're better off going off stage and Dairing/Bairing than what you did. But even those aren't the best options. A Dsmash, wave bounce PK Fire for a possible stage spike, ledge trump Bair, or a Fair would have been more optimal choices.

For playing actively, it seemed like you were just doing things. Random wrong facing Zairs, unnecessary rolls, random PK Fires, random aerials and grabs. Why? And you played kind of linearly as well. You did everything someone would expect of a Lucas who hasn't rrally had to fight people who don't punish him for his bad habits. Lucas actually has a pretty dynamic playstyle. He has combos that can start from a lot of his moves (Bair, FH Dair, Nair, sweet and sour Fair, sweet and sour Ftilt, Utilt, Dtilt, Zair, Dash Attack).

It helps if you have a general game plan, but that will come with time. Once you get more familiar with what Lucas can and can't do, it will become more clear. You're not bad, it just doesn't look like you had a very clear understanding of what you could have been doing in a given situation.

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure

For one, you need to go to training mode and spend an hour or so with various characters, learning what follow-ups work off a down throw and at what percents. While you're there, spend time practicing PK Thunder angles.

For two, don't try to use PK Fire for movement if it's not a wavebounce.

For three, shield more, don't just spot dodge when you don't immediately hit with an attack.

For four, you need to use every tool in Lucas' moveset. Or, at least, be comfortable using every tool in his moveset. Whenever Greninja got close, you panicked and went for jabs, because you know it's the fastest startup option. I could count on my hands the number of times you used tilts in those matches, you only tried PK Freeze once, didn't reflect the water shuriken, attack with PK Thunder onstage, anything that Lucas can do and are viable mixup options. Again, in training, use everything he has until you have an instinctual feel for what you can attack with at what distances, what it will do to the opponent, how long it will take before you can do something else, and what you can follow up with. Don't just throw out moves like down air after dropping through a platform, or his smash attacks at random, because they have so much end lag that anyone paying attention could get a combo of their choice as a result.

For five, that includes tethering the ledge. You always recovered high if you had the choice, and it usually resulted in free hits for Greninja. Specific to Greninja, though, if you start recovering low, keep in mind that Greninja's up special can very easily gimp Lucas doing PK Thunder.

underpowered

Smash Cadet
I should mention that I normally play online with my buddies, so playing offline took a bit to adjust to.

You pretty much only did a Nair after throwing him, which is good, but it stops working at higher percents.
Hmm. I totally agree that my follow ups need a lot of work, but I'm not sure that it's that I'm not using different attacks. If you look at all three matches, it's pretty diverse (see below.)

2x utilts
nair
missed uair -> nair
missed uair
2x utilt
nair
whiffed fair -> nair
fair
fair
fair
fair
missed fair
missed utilts

Aside from totally MISSING some follow up moves, a major problem is that I can't seem to link a follow up move into another one (other than utilt -> uair soemetimes.)

I have this problem because it seems a lot of times to get the vertical distance to land the follow up out of dthrow I often end up using double jump right away... then I hit with nair or whatever and I can't follow the target because I don't have my double jump. I've labbed this a little, and I can't seem to follow up at most percents without using double jump immediately.

Any ideas?

For edge guarding, I genuinely wondered what your goal of SH Dairing the ledge was. I mean, yeah a spike, but how would that happen? You'd have to full hop it fr the spiking hit box to even come out any way. You're better off going off stage and Dairing/Bairing than what you did. But even those aren't the best options.
Yeah kind of a habit, really. Reaction. Often I use dair to attempt to spike off stage, like the Battlefield spike at the end of game 3. I guess I probably saw Pink Fresh get a 2 frame at some point using dair, and didn't really think too much when throwing it out, seems fairly safe.

It helps if you have a general game plan, but that will come with time. Once you get more familiar with what Lucas can and can't do, it will become more clear.
Yeah, mos def. Some of that is just ... I haven't been full time on Lucas for very long, and even in this session I played Ike, Lucas and Pit.

It was hard enough to figure out how to handle Greninja's speed and disjoints.

For one, you need to go to training mode and spend an hour or so with various characters, learning what follow-ups work off a down throw and at what percents. While you're there, spend time practicing PK Thunder angles.
Yeah, definitely.

For five, that includes tethering the ledge. You always recovered high if you had the choice, and it usually resulted in free hits for Greninja.
Yeah, at this point I was kind of gun shy about the tether. I'd already had like 5 deaths because I kept getting nairs instead of tethers when I went to tether. Apparently, I was still in tumble animation and it turns tethers into aerials? I usually do use tethers to recover, though, I also recover unsafely onto the stage, haha.

I could count on my hands the number of times you used tilts in those matches, you only tried PK Freeze once, didn't reflect the water shuriken, attack with PK Thunder onstage, anything that Lucas can do and are viable mixup options.
Hmm, really? I actually used ftilt alone like 5 times in the last game, more than jabs, including killing with it. I think I used every move Lucas has in that game, actually. I feel like a lot of times my problem is NOT spamming effective moves enough, though obviously practice will make me actually effective with them. :p

Also, reflecting water shuriken actually didn't work out very much for me in other games. I feel like the timing is tricky and the fsmash has ... not a lot of end lag but enough that I didn't want to fail. I dunno, maybe just bad reflexes. I wish it was an energy attack.

For two, don't try to use PK Fire for movement if it's not a wavebounce.
Why is that? I feel like I've seen Pink Fresh use just straight up b-reverse and it seems to be fine to me...

For three, shield more, don't just spot dodge when you don't immediately hit with an attack.
Yeah, I need to work on that. I kept spot dodging jabs only to have him continue his combo and hurt me. Basically I need to limit spot dodges to dash attack/grab and grab reads, I guess, though that last bit is tricky.

Thanks for the feedback, you two, and let me know if you have tips for the grab follow up stuff I mentioned.

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
Yeah, at this point I was kind of gun shy about the tether. I'd already had like 5 deaths because I kept getting nairs instead of tethers when I went to tether. Apparently, I was still in tumble animation and it turns tethers into aerials? I usually do use tethers to recover, though, I also recover unsafely onto the stage, haha.
Airdodge first. You can immediately cancel the airdodge into a tether, guaranteed.

K3H

Smash Cadet
I should mention that I normally play online with my buddies, so playing offline took a bit to adjust to.

Hmm. I totally agree that my follow ups need a lot of work, but I'm not sure that it's that I'm not using different attacks. If you look at all three matches, it's pretty diverse (see below.)

2x utilts
nair
missed uair -> nair
missed uair
2x utilt
nair
whiffed fair -> nair
fair
fair
fair
fair
missed fair
missed utilts

Aside from totally MISSING some follow up moves, a major problem is that I can't seem to link a follow up move into another one (other than utilt -> uair soemetimes.)

I have this problem because it seems a lot of times to get the vertical distance to land the follow up out of dthrow I often end up using double jump right away... then I hit with nair or whatever and I can't follow the target because I don't have my double jump. I've labbed this a little, and I can't seem to follow up at most percents without using double jump immediately.

Any ideas?

Yeah kind of a habit, really. Reaction. Often I use dair to attempt to spike off stage, like the Battlefield spike at the end of game 3. I guess I probably saw Pink Fresh get a 2 frame at some point using dair, and didn't really think too much when throwing it out, seems fairly safe.

Yeah, mos def. Some of that is just ... I haven't been full time on Lucas for very long, and even in this session I played Ike, Lucas and Pit.

It was hard enough to figure out how to handle Greninja's speed and disjoints.

Yeah, definitely.

Hmm, really? I actually used ftilt alone like 5 times in the last game, more than jabs, including killing with it. I think I used every move Lucas has in that game, actually. I feel like a lot of times my problem is NOT spamming effective moves enough, though obviously practice will make me actually effective with them. :p

Also, reflecting water shuriken actually didn't work out very much for me in other games. I feel like the timing is tricky and the fsmash has ... not a lot of end lag but enough that I didn't want to fail. I dunno, maybe just bad reflexes. I wish it was an energy attack.

Why is that? I feel like I've seen Pink Fresh use just straight up b-reverse and it seems to be fine to me...

Yeah, I need to work on that. I kept spot dodging jabs only to have him continue his combo and hurt me. Basically I need to limit spot dodges to dash attack/grab and grab reads, I guess, though that last bit is tricky.

Thanks for the feedback, you two, and let me know if you have tips for the grab follow up stuff I mentioned.
Usually you can almost always land an aerial at any percent. The only thing you'll need to do is read DI. If they DI behind you, you can land a Bair, in front of you leads into a Fair and no DI whatsoever can lead into a Dair.

Once you learn the spacing of his moves you can do combos on the fly. One thing I like about Lucas is that you really don't need to land a grab to start combos. A raw Nair, Dtilt, or many of his other moves can get the ball rolling.

As for your double jump problem, it's probably because you're not full hopping. You won't really need to DJ until they're at about 70ish percent.

Something I'm trying to do is mix falling Nair into my combos as well. And if you're willing to go the extra mile, landing behind them and using Dtilt to hit them, and maybe hit shield to try and get a grab. And since you're behind them, they probably won't be able to grab you after you use Dtilt. If you land the grab, continue the combo as you see fit.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator

If you wouldn't mind do you think we can do some Lucas dittos? It helps both of us learn our character more. PM if you can do the dittos :)

underpowered

Smash Cadet
If you wouldn't mind do you think we can do some Lucas dittos? It helps both of us learn our character more. PM if you can do the dittos :)
Oh gosh. Umm... thanks for the offer, practice is great! I'm just so unreliable and busy lately... I am rarely reliable for my RL friends, even! I have a kid and a wife and a job and whatnot... but if I get on vacation or something, I'll sure remember to see if you're free!

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Oh gosh. Umm... thanks for the offer, practice is great! I'm just so unreliable and busy lately... I am rarely reliable for my RL friends, even! I have a kid and a wife and a job and whatnot... but if I get on vacation or something, I'll sure remember to see if you're free!
I understand. You are a busy man with a busy life. Hope all goes well for you.

Top Bottom