• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am I any good as wolf?

smashking14

Smash Cadet
Hey, I think I'm pretty good and I have a couple of videos from last weekend's tournament. I'm open to comments and suggestions.

This is against another wolf
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=H8kCdLWUSW8

This is against a game and watch
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=s1uPmKHNjE0

Alright thanks in advance for taking the time to comment or whatever.:chuckle:
I'm looking for people around New York to brawl, my fc is by my name.

Here's a new video of me against a level 9 rob. Just showing airs and my normal fighting style.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_w1eZSkLGj4

This is a non-online battle with ganandorf.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=tkGr3XKmgso

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
Those matches weren't much, mainly because your opponents looked like they weren't experienced much. Congrats on winning, though.

You're a bit more cautious and calm than some others, which is good, but you don't make any use of wolf's aerial attacks, which makes me sad. Wolf has more moves than neutral B, Fsmash and Dsmash! I think you rely too much on your opponent making poor moves like rolling into your smashes.

I've found that popping my opponent into the air and slapping them around is very effective. Especially with moves like bair and uair that have short enough lag that you can use it once to make them dodge, then attack again at the end of their dodge. (Or just fake them out and not attack at all).

EDIT: Lol wordfilters.

DAKMASTER

Smash Apprentice
i wouldn't say your bad, but you need practice :). it was hard to tell though because both your opponents were god awful.

you f-smash WAY too much. i could call your moves before you did them. chances are your opponents coudl too.

also the few f-airs i saw were not l-canceled. you might want to start doing that ;)

learn stage scarring, learn more approaches, do more aerials etc etc etc.

you have a lot of stuff to learn, but keep practicing :D.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
you need a lot of practice. a guy who knows how to stationary dodge would destroy u. grats on the wins though

smashking14

Smash Cadet
Those matches weren't much, mainly because your opponents looked like they weren't experienced much. Congrats on winning, though.

You're a bit more cautious and calm than some others, which is good, but you don't make any use of wolf's aerial attacks, which makes me sad. Wolf has more moves than neutral B, Fsmash and Dsmash! I think you rely too much on your opponent making poor moves like rolling into your smashes.

I've found that popping my opponent into the air and slapping them around is very effective. Especially with moves like bair and uair that have short enough lag that you can use it once to make them dodge, then attack again at the end of their dodge. (Or just fake them out and not attack at all).

EDIT: Lol wordfilters.
'Bout the airs, I do use them I guess it just didn't show in those matches. Because of their playing style. It was tournament play so i was playing a different style than i normally would, to save my damage percentage. I appreciate the pointers and will put them to good use.

smashking14

Smash Cadet
i wouldn't say your bad, but you need practice :). it was hard to tell though because both your opponents were god awful.

you f-smash WAY too much. i could call your moves before you did them. chances are your opponents coudl too.

also the few f-airs i saw were not l-canceled. you might want to start doing that ;)

learn stage scarring, learn more approaches, do more aerials etc etc etc.

you have a lot of stuff to learn, but keep practicing :D.
What does l- cancelled mean? Same with stage scarring?

Kensiko

Smash Rookie
Lmao, that Wolf is me? Ahahahaha. Wow, I don't blame that other guy for saying I was god awful. Serves me right for trying new stuff in duels in a tournament, plus with the lag that I'm not used to fight with. XD

I'm not johnsing, it was my own **** fault lol. Should've kept it simple, oh well. Live and learn rofl.

Anyhow, l-cancelling is lag-cancelling. Basically, to l-cancel Wolf's Fair, you have to do it RIGHT as you jump. If you can become fast enough, you can string together a bunch of SHFair's in your opponent's face. Takes practice...

Stage scarring is when you're haning on the ledge, then DI away and immediately use Wolf's side B towards the stage. He'll scar through and reappear on it and hit the opponent if he's at the right place (recheck our vid, I did it once or twice in it).

Besides that, yeah, you used your forward and down smashes a lot. I can't count the amount of times you started charging your Fsmash and I'd just wait for you to launch it so I could punish you with mine. You need to find some combos and tactics that you're comfortable with to fill up your bag of tricks. That way you can change it up and keep your opponent on your toes...Bocks' thread and Dacks' thread (I think those are their names....I'd link the threads normally but these boards are super laggy for me today, don't feel like waiting 5 minutes for each page to load...), they both have some nice tricks and tactics for Wolf. Bocks' has lots of info on stage scarring and other variations of the move.

Hope this was helpful. ;)

DAKMASTER

Smash Apprentice
oh that was online? Then I apologise Kensiko for my comment. non-online is so much different. I will assume you're much better offline ;)

Wolf_FTW

Smash Journeyman
do you have any videos that are not from online matches? its much easier that way to tell someones true potential. Also yeah aerials will help out wolf a lot depending on who you are facing.

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
I only saw the first one, but from what I saw you left yourself open too much. Good to great players will take advantage of that every time. You should be careful not to overuse smash moves because of the lag. Don't forget also there is a diminishing return. The more you use a skill the less it does.

Also do us a favor if you use a camera to film this. Set it down on something please. I hate watching videos where it is bouncing around;)

Wolf_FTW

Smash Journeyman
Wow you guys are so quiet when you play >.< lol. Any way i watched the one where you went up against ganon. I didnt look at the lvl 9 one just cause it was a comp. but yeah from what i could see against a better opponent your Fsmashes are going to be predictable im surprised the ganon player didn't pick up on it. You have a good wolf but there needs to be more to it...you need to have more options. Use different moves to approach then just Fsmash and keep pressure on him. Wolfs Bair is extremely useful when you short hop with it also L-cancel Fair will lead into so many combos. Another option is the shine into a Dsmash. There are more but im not going to type everything out. You have a good start but work on different things against an opponent that is good he is going to pick up on it fast and easily counter you

Relhots

Smash Lord
Well, i watched the first vid... i was ashamed 20 secs in the vid... (not trying to be mean)... i hate F-smash spammers, you didn't even use any aerials, just.... i ... well, all i can say is that one of these days, when you vs a good wolf, you are going to get killed, because of your f-smash spam...you didnt combo at all... im just ashamed... im sorry... Well, when we are finished with our guide, maybe it could help...

Wolf_FTW

Smash Journeyman
well yeah...i was trying to be nice but yeah basicly what Relhots said is harsh but true.

smashking14

Smash Cadet
Well, i watched the first vid... i was ashamed 20 secs in the vid... (not trying to be mean)... i hate F-smash spammers, you didn't even use any aerials, just.... i ... well, all i can say is that one of these days, when you vs a good wolf, you are going to get killed, because of your f-smash spam...you didnt combo at all... im just ashamed... im sorry... Well, when we are finished with our guide, maybe it could help...
Ok, in that first match I guess that's true but that was weeks ago, before I had ever read about like combos and the like. You're completely right, I had only played my friends and their not like amazing, using combos and stuff so I never felt the need for it. But now with the wifi, I guess I have alot of practising to do.;)

Relhots

Smash Lord
Ok, in that first match I guess that's true but that was weeks ago, before I had ever read about like combos and the like. You're completely right, I had only played my friends and their not like amazing, using combos and stuff so I never felt the need for it. But now with the wifi, I guess I have alot of practising to do.;)
Im glad you understand, sorry if that was a little harsh.

DAKMASTER

Smash Apprentice
Seeing as it seems you dont have many real people to play I reccomend you do this
:GO into training vs lvl 9 mario
:set it to attack
:practice

most of the time a simple roll to fsmash wont work and you will be punished until you learn otherwhise.

that worked fo rmy lil bro at least :p

smashking14

Smash Cadet
Seeing as it seems you dont have many real people to play I reccomend you do this
:GO into training vs lvl 9 mario
:set it to attack
:practice

most of the time a simple roll to fsmash wont work and you will be punished until you learn otherwhise.

that worked fo rmy lil bro at least :p
Who said I don't have real people to play? All those vids but one were people.

Hoboparty

Smash Apprentice
It looked like you were standing around a lot. always be moving and try to avoid using fsmash too much. I would roll/grab more.

Wolf_FTW

Smash Journeyman
yeah wifi can show skill but if you get an opponent that spams or camps well then it doesnt. also on wifi timing is often changed.

Top Bottom