• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alternates: An alternative to new characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshi

Smash Lord
Hey guys,
I had a thought which I'd like to share, my apologies if it's been mentioned before. Back in Melee, and perhaps in Brawl, a few characters have had alternate costumes which homage similar characters in the same franchise (Kirby with Meta-Knight skin in Melee, Mario in Wario's colors, so forth). My thought is to recreate said character with an identical move set, with different proportions given who the character is. I can't seem to explain it... but let me try!

So okay, for example, let's say you pick... Yoshi. He has already had an established dark blue skin. Let's say instead of just "Yoshi in a dark blue color", he changes to Boshi! I remember in Super Mario RPG he was like, the fastest Yoshi in all of... .. Yoshiville...
To this, if there was a pallet swap on Yoshi, the Boshi skin would have different stats; in this case faster speed but lower attack.

Might seem almost redundant given characters such as Mario/Luigi, Pikachu/Pichu, are identical in that respect to move set.. but I do believe it in a nice idea. Almost like Zelda/Sheik, just less of a duel ove set if hat makes sense.

Just an idea I thought I'd throw out there. Hope it makes sense.

Yoshi, out!

:phone:

jigglover

Smash Lord
MelMoe, I don't believe that this is a duplicate thread since neither of those topics talk about changing stats in each costume.
Anyway... the problem I see with this, is that each player would have to have an extensive knowledge of that character, and the tier lists would get messed up. I'm a massive fan of Yoshi as well, Yoshi, and I know about Boshi, but a lot of other smash bros. fans won't. Also, it would take a lot more effort on Nintendo's behalf, since they'd have to research each character a lot to find alternate costumes, and some of them either won't have alternate costumes of different characters with different stats, won't have any differences in appearance to their alternate selves, or will reduce other characters' potential by not having as many actual alternate costumes. Let me explain:
Pikachu, has one alternate self, and that's Ash's Pikachu in the anime. Ash's Pikachu has no visual difference of the smash bros. Pikachu, and might not have any differeing stats. They could always include a shiny Pikachu, but again, the stats are exactly the same.
Jigglypuff, however, has an alternate with visual difference, again from the anime, the one that used to follow Ash, Misty and Brock everywhere, it could hold a mic and could put it down to attack, how this could work is that it makes sing last longer, have a bigger range, and make your opponents sleep for longer, with a taunt being it's marker. This is the only alternate that Jigglypuff has, which would take away from other characters with a lot more potential alternates, so it seems that for this to work, there could only have to be one alternate character for each actual character.
Nintendo would seem to have to research extensively, and possibly cut characters if this happened. If this makes sense.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Meh! I don't think alternates should be more than different colorations for the same char that allow many player to fight with the same character.
Thought, I like the idea of alternates being a homage to other characters of the same franchise or brother franchises, or to a previous version of the same char. I'll make you a sample:
Peach while wearing her white alternate dress could have orange hair like her 8-bit counterpart. And while wearing her alternate red dress could have dark brown hair and intense red lipstick like Pauline. Also, she could have a light blue dress and pale blonde hair like Rosalina.
Mario or Luigi on the other side, could wear a blue shirt and a white overall like Stanley the Gardeneer.
If Barbara The Bat and Sonic are in the game together, Barbara could have the colour scheme of Rouge The Bat as an alternate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom