• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alt colour discussion.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Do you think the alt colour options for characters will be more or less the same as in brawl, or that we will see plenty of revisions being made along with maybe even some alt costumes for more characters than what has already been shown? (Wire-mac etc)

This just popped into mind given that we haven't seen a single alt colour yet, and what I would appreciate the most is an actual Blood Falcon alt colour for Captain Falcon that uses his GX colour scheme and maybe even the skulltag on his helmet, complete with spiked shoulder pad.

Substitute

Smash Apprentice
Alternate colors are fun but I'm glad to see they're moving more towards costumes because those have a much more diverse range of options for all the characters.

Last edited:

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
I understand why alt. colors exist, but I want to see more effort in making alt. costumes. I mean... Is it really hard? I would love to see like four or five costumes per character (at least the most known ones, such as Mario and Link). For example, I'd love to see Dr. Mario, N64 Bowser or many of Samus' suits.

Khao

Smash Lord
can we get custom colors sakurai yes please thanks okay

I only hope they don't forget to make an obvious red/green/blue costume for each character, some costumes in Brawl were just ridiculous in how they didn't really look at all like the color of the team they were supposed to be in.

I mean lol Sonic. Also the Trainer's Pokémon were terrible in that sense too.

We've already seen a couple of alt. costumes, so that's awesome, if every character gets at least one, even if they're one color only, that'll be just perfect.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Greninja better have his Epic black Shiny form, haha.

And I do hope every character will have a Alt Costume, at least. I wanna battle using Dry Bowser<3

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
and what I would appreciate the most is an actual Blood Falcon alt colour for Captain Falcon that uses his GX colour scheme and maybe even the skulltag on his helmet, complete with spiked shoulder pad.

100% Agree with this. Whenever I used Captain Falcon, it would be his Blood Falcon alt, and it always irked me that they took the time to change his back logo to the Blood Hawk, but they never changed the rest.

I would also like to see Doctor Mario as an alt costume for Mario. They can easily change some of the moveset effects to match his melee style.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
For colors

I'm sure shiny greninja is a color thats a no brainer for him (green tail mewtwo was a alternate for mewtwo)

And for alternate

We got wireframe mac from the first punch out I believe

And male wii fit trainer for wii fit trainer

I hope for dr mario

I hope the colors are more visually distinct. I never understood why Captain Falcon had a more vibrant version of his default colors that the eye and brain still register as the same color. I also don't see why Kirby needs that deep tomato color for Red Team when his default color is already identifiable as red.

Overall, I'd trim the fat and have fewer, but more distinct color schemes. Hopefully there's a mode to make our own.

Networker1

Smash Journeyman
I understand why alt. colors exist, but I want to see more effort in making alt. costumes. I mean... Is it really hard? I would love to see like four or five costumes per character (at least the most known ones, such as Mario and Link). For example, I'd love to see Dr. Mario, N64 Bowser or many of Samus' suits.
As someone with a little experience in 3D (and 2D for that matter) modeling/animating it could be anywhere from a mild hassle to a pain in the neck, depending on how it is programmed. If you can just add slightly edited versions of models WITHOUT having to completely redo all the animation, then it should be a piece of cake to crank out alts with a team of professionals like Sakurai has... if not... then it is no wonder we haven't seen more.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
As someone with a little experience in 3D (and 2D for that matter) modeling/animating it could be anywhere from a mild hassle to a pain in the neck, depending on how it is programmed. If you can just add slightly edited versions of models WITHOUT having to completely redo all the animation, then it should be a piece of cake to crank out alts with a team of professionals like Sakurai has... if not... then it is no wonder we haven't seen more.
With 3D models you can create a new model and give it existing animations (I'm pretty sure this is what was done for the Melee clones and it is done in a lot of other games). Alt. costumes would be less feasible if sprites were being used.

Last edited:

Networker1

Smash Journeyman
With 3D models you can create a new model and give it existing animations (I'm pretty sure this is what was done for the Melee clones and it is done it a lot of ther games). Alt. costumes would be less feasible if sprites were being used.
I think we are saying the same thing... but you are saying it in a lot more optimistic way. :p

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
With 3D models you can create a new model and give it existing animations (I'm pretty sure this is what was done for the Melee clones and it is done it a lot of other games). Alt. costumes would be less feasible if sprites were being used.
SPRITES? *Imagines Super Smash Flash*

That would be sooooo coooollll!!!

Renji64

Smash Lord
For Alt colors i just want marth and most characters to have a purple or black it would be cool for a color wheel to choose color schemes.
For alt costumes i just want at least everyone to have 1.

Shel

Smash Cadet
Samus with a white alt color similar to her light suit.

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
I could see several new recolors such as Hilda for Zelda, Ravio for Toon Link, Shiny form of Charizard and the Koppai Captains for Olimar

It's likely that Pit's Black recolour will be modified to Dark Pit.

Recolours for the newcomers could be a Protoman for Megaman, Tom Nook's Work clothes for the Villager, Wii Fit U Trainers for WFTs, a Flying Mario/Pauline for Rosalina, 2nd Player Little Mac's color and Shiny Greninja.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
By the way, we see Fire Mario in Greninja's concept art. Not exactly a confirmation, but yaknow.
Hasn't that costume always been available to him, though? I mean, I suppose it counts as an alternate costume, but in some ways it seems like that should be his default look, since he needs the Fire Flower upgrade to throw fireballs in the first place. As for other characters, I'm fine with alternate costumes as long as they make sense and don't change any of the characters properties or attacks. Like if it's a pretty big stretch of the imagination to give X character Y as an alternate costume, I'd prefer if they just left it out.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Hasn't that costume always been available to him, though? I mean, I suppose it counts as an alternate costume, but in some ways it seems like that should be his default look, since he needs the Fire Flower upgrade to throw fireballs in the first place. As for other characters, I'm fine with alternate costumes as long as they make sense and don't change any of the characters properties or attacks. Like if it's a pretty big stretch of the imagination to give X character Y as an alternate costume, I'd prefer if they just left it out.
That costume was only available in Brawl.
It varies between games as to whether Mario needs the Fire Flower to shoot fireballs.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Fire Mario was a Brawl invention. http://www.ssbwiki.com/Mario_(SSBM)

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
Hmm, well then there's me proven wrong. Good to know, thanks for clearing it up. As for Dr. Mario, that could be a way to put him back in the game, but his pills would probably need to have the same damage and physics as the fireballs. With the WFTs, despite the sex difference it's explicitly stated that their hitboxes, weights and damage are the same, and that looks to also be the case with Wire Frame Little Mac.

Born in 1839...

Smash Apprentice
In all honesty, I think the costumes will remain on the more basic side, similar to Brawl. I also hope Jigglypuff returns with her "Green Team" costume from Melee. :jigglypuffmelee:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
In all honesty, I think the costumes will remain on the more basic side, similar to Brawl. I also hope Jigglypuff returns with her "Green Team" costume from Melee. :jigglypuffmelee:
I hope Pikachu gets his party hat back.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Wario with traditional overalls
Wii-Fit Trainer with Male version
Little Mac with Wireframe

Let's hope

Bowser with Dry Bowser
Villager with female Villager
Pikachu with Female Pikachu
Peach/Rosalina with Bike-costumes

Born in 1839...

Smash Apprentice
Wario with traditional overalls
Wii-Fit Trainer with Male version
Little Mac with Wireframe

Let's hope

Bowser with Dry Bowser
Villager with female Villager
Pikachu with Female Pikachu
Peach/Rosalina with Bike-costumes
You are good at predicting! :b:

Last edited:

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
Sakurai said they're gonna keep costumes/recolors to the characters themselves, not changing them to other characters right? Don't quote me because I can't verify that but I remember him saying something along those lines. This means no Shadow, Dark Samus (confirmed by the fact she [it?] is an AT)

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai said they're gonna keep costumes/recolors to the characters themselves, not changing them to other characters right? Don't quote me because I can't verify that but I remember him saying something along those lines. This means no Shadow, Dark Samus (confirmed by the fact she [it?] is an AT)
Yes, I think he said something like that. I like that. Probably, we are going to see things like Strikers or Bike customes for Mario characters, some 8bit costumes, classic artwork costumes (Pit, Sonic, Fox) and some clothes changes such as Toon Link's Scorpio or Samus' suits.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Ehh, the Wii Fit Trainer has a male costume, I don't like it at all, but it's in the game, confirmed right now. And Little Mac has a Wireframe costume, too. You are good at predicting! :b:
lol, silly. Those first Three were the already confirmed ones I listed. :p The ones at the bottom are my predictions~

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
Yes, I think he said something like that. I like that. Probably, we are going to see things like Strikers or Bike customes for Mario characters, some 8bit costumes, classic artwork costumes (Pit, Sonic, Fox) and some clothes changes such as Toon Link's Scorpio or Samus' suits.
You could argue that it's the outfit of another character, but I think it'd be kinda cool if Fox had sunglasses like his dad James

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
Im hoping for having alternative costumes separate from colours this time around, so that each costume would have alt colours for maximum customisation.

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
Im also hoping for Melee Fox as alt costume for Fox. Theres just something.... wrong with his face, the way its so flat insead of having a long snout.

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
I wonder how hard Sakurai will be on staying true to the characters concept though? He might consider Dr.Mario a no-go, because it would be very out of place for Doc to use F.L.U.D.D for example. Personally I hope he's not that nit picky, I'd love to see Dr.Mario, DryBowser, Meowser, Mr.L, Shiny Pokemons and lots of other fun stuff. Atleast one alternate for every character would be awesome!

I hope he keeps it same character though. Like no Lucina costume for Marth and such. I'd say that is taking it a bit too far. (Then again I would be fine with masked Marth, wich in reality is Lucina. And I'm fine with Daisy suit for Peach, so I dunno. I'm a hypocrite and can't make my mind up :awesome:)

Last edited:

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
I wonder how hard Sakurai will be on staying true to the characters concept though? He might consider Dr.Mario a no-go, because it would be very out of place for Doc to use F.L.U.D.D for example. Personally I hope he's not that nit picky, I'd love to see Dr.Mario, DryBowser, Meowser, Mr.L, Shiny Pokemons and lots of other fun stuff. Atleast one alternate for every character would be awesome!

I hope he keeps it same character though. Like no Lucina costume for Marth and such. I'd say that is taking it a bit too far. (Then again, I'm fine with Daisy suit for Peach, so I dunno. I'm a hypocrite :awesome:)
Eh, he's not really nitpicky at all. Zelda and Ness have moves that they don't even use in their own games. Fox's and Cap Falcon's moves are made up. etc.

I can see Lucina as Marth's alt if they put in her Masked Marth costume.

Top Bottom