• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

almost the 5th East Coast Canada Power Rankings -- updated around april

unknown522

Some guy
^ *a tear drops* thx Jake.

anyways, I know that I don't deserve the spot because of my bad tourney performance (I blame the pool *cough* "death" *cough*).

I also love the way that so many ppl are underestimating me (won't name names or regions), I can wait t'ill january I guess

ThatGuy

Smash Master
I have a suggestion.

We refine the definition of the PR. We make this PR based solely on regional-wide tournaments. For a tournament to qualify as 'regional-wide', it must have 2 or more PR members that are OOS, and at least 4 PR Members total.

Or something like that.

Then we have our own local PR's. I'd like to see a MTL PR personally :lick:

Just my suggestion.

D.B

Smash Ace
To help a little, since bread butterer hasn't been playing for a while replace ryan with him, and when noah comes back he can earn his spot back?

D

Deleted member

I have a suggestion.

We refine the definition of the PR. We make this PR based solely on regional-wide tournaments. For a tournament to qualify as 'regional-wide', it must have 2 or more PR members that are OOS, and at least 4 PR Members total.

Or something like that.

Then we have our own local PR's. I'd like to see a MTL PR personally :lick:

Just my suggestion.
If you're going to redefine the definition of the PR, then surely you must hold a few "regional-wide" tournaments to get the feel of things? If you guys establish your PR, it would help a lot, because then we'd have the two to cross reference, etc.

Maybe this is a more viable idea in the future.

Because if you're going to do a PR overhaul, that means you'd get rid of this PR for a while.

But Brawl is going to come before that.

There's not much point. Let's just do it for brawl.

Also, don't make a ****ing Pokerankings, that **** is way to clever to be stolen.

Damax

Smash Lord
damax, yet again, makes no sense

or maybe I cant read franglais

anyway

i dont see why panelists have to be there, why would it possibly matter..i'm telling you that he beat me 3 - 1 and i think the set count was 3 - 2 against bernard.

Either way he beat 2 ECCPR ranked players, why isn't that worth anything? Wak your post almost shows why this is stupid..what, quebec has to watch? It's East Coast, not Quebec. Montreal to be specific. Wak makes it sound like it's Montreal PR.

I Dont know why you're even talking Wak.

Toronto's biweeklies are getting very tough, so saying they have no merit is ignorant and foolish

I think those words sum up a PR this general as well but if Ryan wants to be on, I think he has more than enough reason to be placed somewhere, when he's certainly owning up Toronto nicely enough

@ PKM

No, the GTA Biweeklies are by no means small scale, we get 25 - 30 entrants in singles every time and GTA's metagame is getting a lot better. Like a lot better. The skill gap is quickly becoming matched.

The biweeklies are not smash fests, they're full on tournaments, with Pools, doubles, then singles brackets

We have time for friendlies but they're generally 2ndary
I never said MONTREAL at to be there. it could be ottawa too. you hate montreal too much square head. I'm just tellin what was discussed here long ago. and I never said, never ever said I wasn't fine with such a change. now hold yer horse before posting crap. oh GTA hero.

pkmvodka

Smash Lord
Max, try and not insult Jake every post you get the chance to do. He's making valid points.

We should just focus and divide the PRs between regions for now, so a montreal PR would be a better idea than trying to update an ECC PR that will just end up being imbalanced.

WarranThad

Smash Ace
unknown is better than me, i can tell this without having played him.

I didn't do exceptionally well at tos4. Winning a game against bam is pretty meaningless, as was the multiple sd single win against chet. The only PR member I beat was ganonpwn, which was in pools and again didnt mean much. I lost to fogel, as well as Dice who was taken off the PR for some reason. My performance wasn't anything special, and people I used to beat (kage, raynex that single time...) would probably 1-2 stock me consistantly now. I'm as trash as the character I play, and really never beat anyone decent at tournaments anyways. Hell, I didn't even play doubles this time, so I don't even get anything from that. I've never beaten Damax, Breadbutterer, pkm, chet, vwins, bam or testrider in singles tournament play and haven't played Locke, Delorted, Matt or Tect.

so pretty much I beat bad people and lose to anyone decent, which translates into me going 3rd/4th in pools to a lose-win-lose result in bracket.

in short, im suck and there are better players out there ranked lower, probably, though I'm not necessarily the worst player on the PR currently.

edit:

yeah I meant sff3, but sff2 makes me think of street fighter turbo for some reason,

QF agreement!

ThatGuy

Smash Master
If you're going to redefine the definition of the PR, then surely you must hold a few "regional-wide" tournaments to get the feel of things? If you guys establish your PR, it would help a lot, because then we'd have the two to cross reference, etc.

Maybe this is a more viable idea in the future.

Because if you're going to do a PR overhaul, that means you'd get rid of this PR for a while.

But Brawl is going to come before that.

There's not much point. Let's just do it for brawl.

Also, don't make a ****ing Pokerankings, that **** is way to clever to be stolen.
No, that's not the idea. This PR should be used for region wide tournaments. No cross-references between PR's are to be made. That could mean the #1 in Ottawa, for example, may not be the highest on this PR because he/she does not travel.

If I may be so bold, ECC-wide tournaments are much more challenging because you have to encounter opponents that are equally skilled but play entirely different. Adjusting to new styles is all part of the performing package.

Therefore, there is no need to "reform" this PR; the people who have made the effort to travel to the tournaments and perform up to par have earned their spot.

However, this does not mean that region-wide tournaments will not effect our own PR's! Far from it, they will probably impact local PR's as much as, if not more than, this PR itself. However, local PR's will not have any effect on this PR. Do you see where I'm getting at?

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Delorted, this pokeranking was not really a clever idea, if I look at the PR rules
2. Ranking threads cannot be below the size of state rankings.
This is to keep "Crew X Power Rankings" or "Small Town Y Rankings"
But since it's too hard to keep the PR accurate right now, I have this proposition:

We'll just split Ontario and Quebec.
But if we do this, it will mean GTAers will have no choice but to add people from ottawa in their pokerankings.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
Joel, I didn't post this but I'm sorry about not having our MM. I wanted to watch Vodka's matches. If I can make it out to SFF3 we'll have our MM right away before the tourney starts.

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wak, you fail to acknowledge that our provinces are the size of 3-4 states. Surely the GTA area have the right to their own PR, just like every major region around.
Joel, you seem to forgot that our provinces are plain empty and even if they are the size of 3-4 states, there are MUCH less habitants in every province, which means less players. That's why we've made an EC power ranking, because we though a Quebec or Ontario PR only would have been too small... 1 year ago, a top 15 ON was plain impossible and a top 15 QC would have included kryptonite...

Now we've got more good players, now we can divide ON and QC.

D

Deleted member

Wak said:
Joel, you seem to forgot that our provinces are plain empty and even if they are the size of 3-4 states, there are MUCH less habitants in every province, which means less players. That's why we've made an EC power ranking, because we though a Quebec or Ontario PR only would have been too small... 1 year ago, a top 15 ON was plain impossible and a top 15 QC would have included kryptonite...

Now we've got more good players, now we can divide ON and QC.
Sigh

Wak said:
Delorted, this pokeranking was not really a clever idea, if I look at the PR rules
Here they are

2. Ranking threads cannot be below the size of state rankings.
States? Canada. Provinces

This is to keep "Crew X Power Rankings"
I believe it's GTA PR

or "Small Town Y Rankings"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto said:
Toronto is the largest city in Canada, and is the provincial capital of Ontario
gg

Damax

Smash Lord
No I won't stop posting mr.hero

PKM: the hell with manners. **** it all

Facts:
- this is EAST coast canada power ranking, thus the needs to get player from every where on east coast
- this is not a single area/town PR
- one of the major problems are lack of organisation
- its quite late to try and make it better
- its obvious it would have been easier if there was some inter-region tournaments before this ranking
- no ranking will ever be perfect in any game, any sport.
- Making a montreal PR or Toronto PR or Ottawa PR was never ever banned.
- making regional PRs might help in the making of the ECC ranking

to wak: its Kryptocide by the way. Kryptonite is a superman thinggy I think

to thatguy: just find a way to teleport people and we're good to go.

Suggestion for brawl: Online tournaments, made on several days someone pm your first opponent or your whole pool's friend wii ID or something, thus giving no johns as :couldn't make it i had no ride. its crappy but its the only way there's ever gonna be east coast tournaments with every good contender.

also why the **** am I still 12th or something. give it to runnawaybeastfire. I suck at that game and prolly won't do singles at sff3 anyway.

besides who needs his name written on such a criticized piece of forum.

Navo

Smash Apprentice
One thing I must say to Wak, having an Ontario PR and Quebec PR is dumb. Why pair Ottawa with a city that is 4-5 hours away instead of a city 1.5-2 hours away?

Dice's wanted opinion:

I think having a Toronto PR and a Montreal PR as well as a EC PR is a fairly good idea if people care enough. Since the distance between montreal/toronto is quite far, it is hard for everyone to get together. And even though TO does have competitive biweeklies, the complaint of "well there's only 2 PR players there, so who cares if player X finishes 3rd" will always come up.

And I didn't include Ottawa in there, since there's only like 10 people in the city who actually play the game >_>, so a PR would be useless lol.

And I also think that TO's PR is fine, they are somewhat isolated from the majority of EC smash scene (Montreal/Ottawa) and they do have enough peeps playing, being able to pull in the amount of people for a biweekly close to the amount of ToS4 attendance is quite impressive.

hmm, now back to exam studying, awesome.

oh snap, this is Dice btw, ****ing brother...

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
".
besides who needs his name written on such a criticized piece of forum."

you know, I never understand why people write this kind of stuff after a post.

You make assertions on the problems of the PR, what we could do for the PR, and then you basically say "screw the PR it's stupid". Why bother posting about it then???

Fogel

Smash Lord
everyone ignored my self-bashing post

you guys suck, i feel the unlove =/.
Honesty and rational arguments are unwelcome in the EC PR thread.

If you want replies and attention, talk about how you should be higher and how you are sooo much better than everyone else on the PR. Maybe throw in a bit of complaints about death brackets and biased panelists, and you're set for another 5 pages of replies!

Damax

Smash Lord
".
besides who needs his name written on such a criticized piece of forum."

you know, I never understand why people write this kind of stuff after a post.

You make assertions on the problems of the PR, what we could do for the PR, and then you basically say "screw the PR it's stupid". Why bother posting about it then???
I never said it was stupid. I said it was criticized well reducing its credibility. thus having your name on it means nothing more than ever. specially on the last spots like chet said.

Navo

Smash Apprentice
why does everyone complain saying they had a "death pool" or "death braket?" TOS tournements tend to be hard. Since ottawa doesnt have many players only the "deticated" out of town players come. this = not many noobs which = a hard tounrment. Every Pool/braket was hard so its no excuse.
also why is everyone even complaining? you started playing this game because you thought it was fun. and you attend tounrmenets because you think its fun. now everyone is getting all mad at eachother because thier not consitered one of the best 15 in the EC. stop taking it so seriously your taking a video game and turning it into something bigger then what it is. taking personal shots at eachother and all that. its so stupid how everyones fighting over this. this game is comming to its end, just have fun with it while it lasts and we can only hope that this wont start again once brawl comes. and the pr is final for now, complaining in the past hasnt changed it and it wont change it now. only tounrnements change it.

(sorry for the poor grammar/spelling and lack of capitals and punctuation lol)

Dice

Smash Lord
^

lrn2spell, you're in grade 10... like you didn't even spell tournaments correctly...

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Navo, true warriors strive to become the best and be without weakness... which is why they want to be on the PR... maybe you don't have that willpower?

You know even if Brawl will begin soon that doesn't mean at all that melee will end.. I've seen a lot of people give up Melee already and think they're going to become the best at Brawl. There's just no way with that kind of attitude... You're giving up already and will give up in the future. People tend to keep trends going...

D.B

Smash Ace
Does having your name on a list really make you play any better? And don't give me the crap "Oh well you don't want to loose your spot so you'll play better" No. You don't want to loose period we all want the prize, your names on a list don't change how you play.

cF=)

Smash Lord
Hey guys, look, it's a train heading toward "Time wasting" city. Let's hop on and pray it'll lead us toward intelligent, unbiased, and properly grammared opinions while we discuss around tea cups about the PR.

:urg:

Ever heard of the 11th best marathon runner in the world, or maybe the 7th best hotdog eater? No, because we absolutely don't care past #5 (and even there, it might be reduced to top3). Do we know who would place, at a constant rate, in these spots? Yes.

Discussion is over.

Damax

Smash Lord
Does having your name on a list really make you play any better? And don't give me the crap "Oh well you don't want to loose your spot so you'll play better" No. You don't want to loose period we all want the prize, your names on a list don't change how you play.
that's why I said they could take me off. I can win teams, its all that matters. money.

Cf, what the heck are you doin here? grammatically correct opinion? this is e talk dude. also why are you so active on the board and not in tournys/fest.

cF=)

Smash Lord
lol je niaisais pas vraiment la grammaire, mais plutôt l'insistance que certain démontre à son égard sur l'internet (*cough* delorted). Anyway, oui, je suis active on board aujourd'hui justement parce que j'ai fini mon texte de francais pis j'avais pas grand chose à faire avant midi et demi. Pourquoi je vais pas à des tourney? Principale raison c'est vraiment les études qui bouffent mon temps, et ensuite m'a blonde qui obnubile les journées restantes (pas que ca me dérange du tout lol). Mais ouais, si vous smasher cet hiver je suis down pour me ramener avec mon char.

TestRider

Smash Ace
You know even if Brawl will begin soon that doesn't mean at all that melee will end.. I've seen a lot of people give up Melee already and think they're going to become the best at Brawl. There's just no way with that kind of attitude... You're giving up already and will give up in the future. People tend to keep trends going...
Yeah that's a very good point, it always makes me smile when I hear people say they're giving up on Melee but plan on being "the best" at Brawl. If you suck so much at Melee, it's because you don't invest the time necessary to become good (which isn't such a bad thing, I know plenty of more interesting things to do with your time than play Melee) and you haven't developed mind-reading skills (which some people just naturally have an easier time doing). If you don't put more of your free time into your chosen game and never could get any kind of mindgames going on, don't expect to suddenly become that game's guru.

By the way, putting all your eggs in the Brawl basket might backfire; what tells you the game won't be crap?

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
Gooo TestiesRider. Topic #2 where you kinda owned with good points.

It's funny cuz I say the exact same ****. GGz. Also, would you guys be interested in a tournament in Toronto area?

Top Bottom