• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U All-Star on Hard with all characters.

Ghork

Smash Rookie
I feel that I want to complete every challenge eventually. Completing All-Star mode on hard difficulty with every character is one of those.
Since All-Star is easier/shorter until you unlock every character I'm trying to beat it with all of them as my #1 goal (which makes the game less fun...).
However, some characters are just take ages to complete the mode with. Especially since I don't play them very often. Rosalina gave me troubles for hours. Sheik too. Now Samus.

Do you have any general tips on completing it?
My tactic right now is making the first 3 matches without using any healing items. Then it's downhill the rest of the way.
So far I've completed the top row of characters but there are many more that are going to take me certainly one hour each at least.

The CPUs are just a major pain in the butthole. One moment they stand around doing nothing while you stand spamming smash attacks waiting for them to come over and the next moment they are attacking you all three at once not letting you take it easy for one second.
It's like their level is based of your percentage, 'cause once I get 100+% they just won't leave you alone and I get no chances whatsoever to fight back.

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
I beat it on easy with all characters (3DS)

I tried hard mode with Robin and what I suggest is you play defensively (shield alot) and use your character's best move. Like when I played as Robin I spammed his Fair and FSmash with the levin sword and I completely destroyed everyone.

When the fairy bottle is still there and I don't want to waste a heart piece, I wait untill the last character (in the stage) is alive and make him attack me till 100% and then immediately kill him, and then use the fairy bottle.

TL;DR: Play defensively, Use your character's best move and use the healing items intelligently.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I feel like a knife stabbed me when I saw this challenge, along with the Classic on intensity 7.0 with all fighters challenge. The all fighters challenges were way more tolerable when there aren't any difficulty restrictions.

Sadly, even if you do Golden Hammer that challenge, you'd still have to play the hard difficulty, as two of the hard difficulty true All-Star mode challenges are Golden Hammer immune (one of which requires you to clear true All-Star on hard with Duck Hunt). There's also one where you have to clear true All-Star on hard with Ike.

Fortunately, the ones where you have to clear true All-Star within 6 minutes with Jigglypuff and Shulk have no difficulty restrictions, so you could potentially pull them off on the easy skill level.

Ghork

Smash Rookie
I've tried both defensively and a bit more on the offense and so far I feel the offensive style is more giving since I get done faster and get more attempts at it.

The all fighters challenges were way more tolerable when there aren't any difficulty restrictions.
Yeah and using a hammer doesn't feel like an option to me, I'd rather have it not completed than have all challenges completed with hammers missing.

I guess I'll just grind All-Star until I've completed it with all of them so I can finally unlock the rest and play some other modes. Do you guys know if completing co-op All-Star is counted towards completing with those characters?

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
That challenge will probably get the hammer, as I find it unneccesary to learn each character in and out in order to complete it. It's too much frustration and I'd like to have fun. Of course, if you are that guy who finds stuff like that fun, go for it! (just don't hurt yourself or the people around you when you throw that controller ;-) )

Cha Cha San

Smash Cadet
I find all-star on hard to be not too hard if you use a character who has a quick dash attack that is capable of killing at higher percents (like G&W). I spam it over and over and the ai rarely stops it.

My all-star general strategy is I can use heals when I need them, but I have to skip a heal 2 times so I will skip if I feel I can survive a bit longer.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Having cleared the true all-star mode once now, I can say that it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I could have sworn the 3DS version only gave you one heart container instead of two, for starters. But I still don't know if I'll be able to pull it off with, say, Wii Fit Trainer or Olimar in any reasonable amount of time.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I did the "beat All Star on hard" challenge before I unlocked True All Star, but this one may never get completed. I'm simply not good enough with some characters and I don't have a good P2 to help me in Co-op mode. Damn you, Sakurai!

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Maaaaaaan why do I keep hearing about more challenges that I don't wanna do. UUUUuuuggggggghhhhhhh

TealPlatypus

Smash Cadet
With ALL characters? I don't know if I have the patience to deal with this mode for that long...

One time I was on Port Town Aero Drive and a car randomly flew above the main platform and instantly killed EVERYONE. I didn't even know that was possible. I also frequently get caught under stage lips while trying to recover as Duck Hunt.

You know what, I don't think I've ever actually been KO'd by the opposing fighters. It's always the damned stages that kill me.

Last edited:

Ghork

Smash Rookie
I did it btw, I did All-star on hard with every character. I'm not sure but true All-Star mode may be easier actually. Some characters need to do true All-Star mode on hard for other challenges, like Ike and Dog Hunt Duo.

You know what, I don't think I've ever actually been KO'd by the opposing fighters. It's always the damned stages that kill me.
Yeah, I don't know how many times I cried out "BULLSH*T STAGE!" during my completion of this challenge.

Last edited:

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Yeah, definitely not even attempting this one. I am trying to get the challenge to beat it on Hard with Duck Hunt and it's ****ing impossible. I am seriously this close to putting a $50 pro controller through the wall. I want to find whoever came up with this challenge and beat them in the face with my controller.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
It's fairly easy actually, I've done it with 33 characters so far.

You just have to get lucky with the game's final boss Olimar, Villager, Ness Yoyo, Palutena, Zelda, Samus and Pacman who will not hesitate to kill you at 70% with any indirect move they have.

Also a characters ease of use in this mode is pretty much directly related to if their fsmash is bad or not. Good ones are hard to find (Marth, Lucina, Pit, Dark Pit, Ganon etc) while bad ones are plentiful (ROB, Wario, Duck Hunt etc).

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Just so everyone knows (if they don't already), there's a peculiarity with all star I've noticed that those looking to clear it on hard might want to look out for... As most of you probably know, the CPUs are on a handicap that reduces their attack damage and knockback so as to help you stay in the game; some characters can even survive well into 200% and still take a smash without being KOed. However, as far as I can tell, projectiles are not affected by the handicap at all. This includes regular attacks that are counted as projectiles, like the Villager's Fsmash, and in a more extreme case, ALL of Olimar's pikmin moves. This makes some characters more dangerous than others, particularly ones like Robin and the aforementioned Olimar. I've even been KOed by Shiek's bombs at percents where even Ike's Fsmash couldn't do it. So, if you're shooting for a hard victory, you want to be especially careful around projectiles.

Another thing to keep in mind is that stage hazards still do regular damage as well. Just watch out for this when trying to squeeze in one more round before healing.:)

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
While it's usually projectiles, it isn't always just projectiles.

Ness's Yoyo, Sheik's Vanish and Charizard Flare Blitz are examples of melee attacks that do obscene knockback in All-Star.

I theorize it's just moves that have a flag like this turned on.

Also I finished this yesterday, am did all characters on hard in this mode~

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Yeah, the 3rd battle is often the first one where I just get wrecked when I'm trying the Duck Hunt challenge. It seems like the characters just gang up on me and I have 50% damage before I can get away. I just don't know what to do. Other than getting lucky with the stage (I once drew Onett and escaped with only 10% damage done), I just can't seem to beat them. Sonic also seems to be a royal PITA every time as well. Duck Hunt is just too slow to deal with his bull****.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
While it's usually projectiles, it isn't always just projectiles.

Ness's Yoyo, Sheik's Vanish and Charizard Flare Blitz are examples of melee attacks that do obscene knockback in All-Star.

I theorize it's just moves that have a flag like this turned on.

Also I finished this yesterday, am did all characters on hard in this mode~
Ah, indirect moves... that makes sense. Now that I think about it, I remember getting whupped by Sheik's vanish too. I didn't know about Ness's yoyo, though. Guess he never managed to get me with it....

Either way, at least I know it's not just happening to me now.:) I hadn't heard anyone say anything about it before, so I was starting to think I was imagining things...

The only other thing I'd like to know is if it's intentional or not. It does kind of throw the balance of all star off a bit... it'd be nice if they could fix that in an update. That is, if it really is a glitch...

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
It would be really nice if Nintendo fixed this. The Duck Hunt challenge is impossible as it is, and it doesn't help that characters like Olimar can just rack up damage at an absurd rate. I'm pretty sure he KO'ed me under 100% with an ordinary aerial attack.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
As simpler as it might seem to try to do this challenge before unlocking every fighter, once you do get to the very last fighter, having to contend with the true All-Star mode is inevitable. Likewise, there are the true All-Star mode challenges that you'll have to work with as well.

no its not
It is doable, but quite hard to pull off if you're not very good with Duck Hunt. Against hard CPUs, fighters can actually grab Duck Hunt while the duo's smash attacks are in progress, shutting them down altogether.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
There is also a huge amount of luck involved regarding the stage selection, and mine seems to be terrible. I tried several more times last night, and rarely made it past the 3rd fight. My best stage for round 1 is usually Galaxy - I drew it exactly ZERO times. For round 2, I prefer Garden of Hope, I got it ONCE. For round 3, Onett works best. I got that also ONE TIME, took almost no damage, made it through round 4 with only 81% damage and only the tomato used up. Used one heart to start round 5, and then.... Port Town. I didn't even see what happened, all I know is I was there on the stage getting my ass kicked all over the place by the CPUs, and the next instant I was just GONE. There was no warning. I cannot seem to complete round 5 without getting wombo comboed every single time. The CPUs are just too fast and too good. And Duck Hunt is not a character I'm particularly good with.

So yes, that ****ing challenge is impossible. I may get it if I try 500 times and get the right combination of stages and good luck along the way, but that's my only hope at this point.

It is doable, but quite hard to pull off if you're not very good with Duck Hunt. Against hard CPUs, fighters can actually grab Duck Hunt while the duo's smash attacks are in progress, shutting them down altogether.
Not to mention they sometimes just miss

Last edited:

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman
I've so far beaten all-star on hard with 15 or so characters. Basically, my strategy is to make it through the first 3 stages without healing, and then healing once in between each round for the remainder. The play-style is typically very defensive, while spamming the characters best Smash attack, charging it and waiting for the opponent to run into it. Standing near the edge on a walk-off and throwing the opponent in that direction is also helpful. Basically, if the character has a very hard hitting smash attack, like Bowser, Ike, Ganon, both DKs, Dedede, etc, it's very easy. Other characters are much more challenging (It took me FOREVER to finally do it with Duck Hunt for his challenge), but it's still doable.

Also, does anyone know if the Miis fall into this? I know I need to beat it with them to get their trophies, but often times, when the game means "all characters" it usually excludes Miis. If I can avoid beating this on hard 3 other times, i'll gladly do so and just do it on Normal

Last edited:

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I've beaten All Star on Hard with 9 characters. I intentionally did the 8 character challenge before I unlocked the full roster, with Mario, Toon Link, Kirby, Marth, Ike, Bowser, Dedede and Little Mac, then I FINALLY got it with ****ing Duck Hunt. After that, I'm not sure if I want to try it with everyone else on Hard. I can probably do it with several more characters, but ALL of them? I accidentally tried it on Normal with Palutena the other day and didn't make it past round 3. I don't know if I can take the stress, though if I can do that, I can probably clear all of the challenges with no hammers.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
It took me forever to beat it on hard with all the fighters. The ones that I had trouble getting the job done was Fox, R.O.B., Robin and Ike.

What surprised me the most is that it took me only one try to beat it with Duck Hunt compared to the 3DS version, which I had like 30 tries.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
It took me forever to beat it on hard with all the fighters. The ones that I had trouble getting the job done was Fox, R.O.B., Robin and Ike.

What surprised me the most is that it took me only one try to beat it with Duck Hunt compared to the 3DS version, which I had like 30 tries.
If you did DH in ONE try and had trouble with those 4, that makes me not even want to try. I tried literally over 100 times to get DH.

As for Robin though, someone posted a Youtube video of Robin beating All Star on Hard without using any healing items: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPvxx6tB9dk

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I guess I'll just grind All-Star until I've completed it with all of them so I can finally unlock the rest and play some other modes. Do you guys know if completing co-op All-Star is counted towards completing with those characters?
I'm pretty sure. All-star with 8 characters work co-op. All-star hard with everybody will be my next goal after 7.0 with everybody.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
Is this challenge patched or what? Yesterday it was All Star on All Character on Hard, but today it only ask All Star on All Character to complete. Bug or what?

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Is this challenge patched or what? Yesterday it was All Star on All Character on Hard, but today it only ask All Star on All Character to complete. Bug or what?
I still see "Clear All-Star on hard difficulty with all the characters". Maybe check again? Screen shot?

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
Yes, my version is 1.0.1, and I doubt its bugged because you need the lastest version to play online, which I often do.
Today still state All Star on All Character without the hard requirement, and that (at least to me) change this challenge to the hardest to a simply farming one (its not like I'm not going to complete all star with all character, at least for the throphies).

TealPlatypus

Smash Cadet
Just going to warn everybody to be careful about using Yoshi's down B on Orbital Gate Assault. I just died because the stage shifted right as I initiated the attack, and I ended up plummeting to the bottom of the screen and killing myself. Should've seen that coming...

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
My immediate response to someone reading me that challenge: Stop. Hammer time.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I still want to know why the European version apparently doesn't require the challenge to be done on Hard difficulty. I'm surprised there wasn't more chatter about that.

TealPlatypus

Smash Cadet
They probably realized how ridiculously frustrating and tedious this challenge is, even when attempting it with two players. At least clearing Classic at 9.0 intensity without losing a life only has to be done once. This one requires at least 48 runs if you're playing alone, which is tedious enough, but add in the annoying stages and CPUs with superhuman reflexes and you've got the most infuriating, tiresome load of bullcrap ever. I never want to touch All-Star mode again after completing this challenge.

I mean, it's not that the difficulty of this mode reaches near-impossible levels or anything. I just feel like there's too much luck involving stage selection and AI. You never know exactly what to expect with three CPUs rushing at you from different angles.

Cha Cha San

Smash Cadet
All-star mode is hilariously easy with kirby. Jump up to max height and use stone. Repeat until you beat all-star. Cleared normal no heals first try with it and almost cleared hard no heals to see how it would go.

Top Bottom