• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All smashers, please fill this form out, for Gamecube controllers for smash 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
The biggest problem i see for competitive smash 4 is the seeming lack of wired controllers, but gcn remote is god tier so signing it anyway.
usb gcn remotes for wii u would result in lots of money to screen collisions

Hyruleslink

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I prefer the remote nunchuk combo. I switched years ago and have never looked back. I have won against people who use Cube controllers easily. There is no delay in response. My friends were skeptical but they converted as well. Use the nunchuk combo and it shall set you free.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
God, man, let that goddamn thing go! Move on for god's sake!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Some people just can't adapt to change. While I do understand that wireless controllers have a negative side when you're doing competitions, the fact that the Wii U has no GCN compatibility pretty much means that wired controllers are all in the past.

In a case like this, you need to learn to adapt to different controllers.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
Classic Controller Pro and Wii U Pro Controller are fine. No need for Gamecube controllers.

pitthekit

Smash Ace
Um Is there a third party adapter for wii u to let gcn? Then again third party sucks and the controls will be made for the wii u wannabe Snes controller. Yes smash needs this or it will suffer a huge problem.

Also we will never adapt because we don't have too.

Last edited:

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Um Is there a third party adapter for wii u to let gcn?
Yeah, despite already making the switch to Wiimote + Nunchuk, I bought this adapter for when my more stubborn friends inevitably flock to my house since I'm the only one with a Wii U. I haven't had any problems with it over the last few months of use, it feels the same to me as if the controller were plugged in to the system. The Wii detects it as a Classic Controller, but for most games the controls are configured pretty much the same for both.

While I understand the desire for wired controllers, it is somewhat unlikely that Nintendo will ever decide to produce one. If you're really set on using the GameCube controller still, just spend the $20 for an adapter. Since control configuration will most certainly stay in SSB4, you can just set all of your buttons for the Classic Controller as your GameCube layout and everything works out just fine.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Um Is there a third party adapter for wii u to let gcn? Then again third party sucks and the controls will be made for the wii u wannabe Snes controller. Yes smash needs this or it will suffer a huge problem.

Then you can retire.

I'm not really for joining an act to force a company to make a device for a console that is only going to be used for one game anyway. Don't get me wrong now,I do love the GC controller, but we all knew this was going to happen eventually, andI'm not gonna slow down the inevitable just for that last bit of yesterday.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Yes smash needs this or it will suffer a huge problem.
The only "huge" problem I see is that people that can't let go of old things will complain.

And if you want to play Smash4, then yes, you do have to.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
I love my gc controller and all but....come on yall. I love the smash community, but it seems like most of us are always asking for more of the same and can't move on to possibly better things.

"more like melee"
"more like melee"
"gc controller"
"gc controller"

It's a new game so why not ask for it to be better than melee? Why not ask for a better controller (Nintendo really does need to make a wired controller for wii u)? I respect the community for keeping melee alive, but dont let melee hold you back from having nicer things.

Weedy Spyze

Smash Apprentice
Some people just can't adapt to change. While I do understand that wireless controllers have a negative side when you're doing competitions, the fact that the Wii U has no GCN compatibility pretty much means that wired controllers are all in the past.

Was pretty much gonna say all this, but you beat me to it. I always used the GCN Controller for Brawl, but when I upgraded to Wii U after my Wii quit working, I had no choice but to adapt. I've gotten used to using the classic controller for Brawl personally.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658

I agree that controllers should eventually change (and i love the wii u pro controller don't get me wrong) I'm just worried for how wireless controllers will affect large tournaments and such, where there's potential for a lot of interference. It probably won't be that hard for a 3rd party to make gcn style controllers anyway, but if they're only wireless, then the problem still stays.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Just move on man, it's not impossible to play Smash without a GameCube controller:tired:.

Commander

Smash Ace
The thing is that fan campaigns do demonstrate some level of demand. Nintendo makes their final decision regardless of the campaign but they do look to see if there is a large enough demand to make it profitable. If anything this campaign can generate demand among consumers, even if it is only a little, and that should have a small effect on nintendo's decisions.

pitthekit

Smash Ace
I love my gc controller and all but....come on yall. I love the smash community, but it seems like most of us are always asking for more of the same and can't move on to possibly better things.

"more like melee"
"more like melee"
"gc controller"
"gc controller"

It's a new game so why not ask for it to be better than melee? Why not ask for a better controller (Nintendo really does need to make a wired controller for wii u)? I respect the community for keeping melee alive, but dont let melee hold you back from having nicer things.
Yes a better controller than GameCube would be nice but every wii controller I tried other than GameCube controller for smash was obsolete. So if you want me to stop complaining then tell Nintendo to make a better controller than the GameCube controller and that silly Snes wannabe controller.

When melee came out people used GameCube controller and never complained about it not having the n64 design. So Nintendo has to make a better controller instead of rehashing a Snes and GameCube controller mix up that we seen since the wii came out and one better than the gc controller.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
Are you acquainted with someone who has some degree of influence within Nintendo and could make sure this gets passed on to the higher-ups? Because I don't really see the point in signing this petition otherwise, especially when this community is far from being the game's target audience.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
The Wii U already has FIVE controllers to choose from (not even Sony or Microsoft consoles have that many). Plus I've haven't heard a SINGLE reason to bring back the controller other than to play Super Smash Bros. (go ahead, give me another reason. Any at all).

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
The Wii U already has FIVE controllers to choose from (not even Sony or Microsoft consoles have that many). Plus I've haven't heard a SINGLE reason to bring back the controller other than to play Super Smash Bros. (go ahead, give me another reason. Any at all).
Gamecube Virtual Console. Which is a much more valid reason for Nintendo to re-release a legacy controller than a small but vocal group of Melee purists.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Gamecube Virtual Console. Which is much more valid reason for Nintendo to re-release a legacy controller than a small but vocal group of Melee purists.
Two flaws:

- By that argument, then I should demand Nintendo to also bring back NES controllers, SNES controllers, and N64 controllers (heck, even a Game Boy Advance since Nintendo confirmed we're getting GBA VC for Wii U).
- GameCube Virtual Console doesn't exist and absolutely no proof of any in the works. There's no point of selling accessories for a nonexistent service.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Are you serious? some people just want some consistency, which was granted in the gcn remote. Every other console has kept the same basic control design, adding a few buttons here and there, and the gcn remote is the closest thing that nintendo has.
How is it okay that other console owners can stick to similar controllers with small optimizations here and there and nintendo fans need to "adapt" every new console generation?
Just because you disagree doesn't mean people shouldn't have a choice.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I'm just going to learn to use the Wii U pro controller,
the same way I learned how to use the GC controller coming off of the N64
the same way I learned how to use the N64 controller coming off of the SNES
the same way I learned how to use the SNES controller coming off of the NES (which wasn't that big of a leap)

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
Two flaws:

- By that argument, then I should demand Nintendo to also bring back NES controllers, SNES controllers, and N64 controllers (heck, even a Game Boy Advance since Nintendo confirmed we're getting GBA VC for Wii U).
- GameCube Virtual Console doesn't exist and absolutely no proof of any in the works. There's no point of selling accessories for a nonexistent service.
Don't worry, I also see very little appeal in a Gamecube controller but you asked for a single argument, and I gave you one.

Besides, all the inputs of the controllers you mentioned are present on the Gamepad or the Pro Controller. The GC controller, on the other hand, had hybrid analog/digital triggers that don't have a substitute on Nintendo's modern gamepads and were required for some of the system's biggest games.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Are you serious? some people just want some consistency, which was granted in the gcn remote. Every other console has kept the same basic control design, adding a few buttons here and there, and the gcn remote is the closest thing that nintendo has.
How is it okay that other console owners can stick to similar controllers with small optimizations here and there and nintendo fans need to "adapt" every new console generation?
Have you tried out the Wii U Pro controller? It's basically like every other new controller now (albeit a slight shift in stick placements).

I really love the feel of it. In fact, it feels a lot better than any other controller I've used.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Have you tried out the Wii U Pro controller? It's basically like every other new controller now (albeit a slight shift in stick placements).

I really love the feel of it. In fact, it feels a lot better than any other controller I've used.
I have tried the controller and i love it. i'll probably use it for the next smash bros even if there is a gcn remote alternative because it feels so nice, but i know there's a bunch of people who prefer the gcn controller and i can also see why they would think that. I believe there should be a choice, considering that those people have been playing smash for 10+ years with the same controller.
but we still need wired remotes, gcn style or not

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Instead of petitioning for GameCube controllers, you should be petitioning for wired controller support which should be possible with a proper driver update.

At least then, some 3rd party maker can make that precious GameCube controller while everyone else can choose a controller of their choice. BAM! Everyone wins.

pitthekit

Smash Ace
Instead of petitioning for GameCube controllers, you should be petitioning for wired controller support which should be possible with a proper driver update.

At least then, some 3rd party maker can make that precious GameCube controller while everyone else can choose a controller of their choice. BAM! Everyone wins.
If a third party made a GameCube controller for wii u I would never buy it, every third party controller I brought was a waste of money.(they broke in 10 days) I would have to adapt to the new controllers sigh as long as I can perform all my imputs as fast as I did with my GameCube controller then I am fine.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder how many they'd have to sell to break even after production. I'd buy one but I honestly feel the WiiU controller both tablet and pro are leaps and bounds ahead of the Nunchuck.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I signed the petition.

Do I expect anything to change? Probably not.

Does this make me a "Meleetard?" Probably so. I like my GC controller. Sue me.

#YOLO

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Yes a better controller than GameCube would be nice but every wii controller I tried other than GameCube controller for smash was obsolete. So if you want me to stop complaining then tell Nintendo to make a better controller than the GameCube controller and that silly Snes wannabe controller.

When melee came out people used GameCube controller and never complained about it not having the n64 design. So Nintendo has to make a better controller instead of rehashing a Snes and GameCube controller mix up that we seen since the wii came out and one better than the gc controller.
Well I dont actually want you to do anything. I'm stating my views on things like this: Ask for something better not for more of the same. Also since I dont have issues with nintendo controller layouts/quality (I just adapt to one of the many options available) it's the responsibility of those who are complaining to make reasonable request to nintendo; asking nintendo to mass market something only a tiny portion of their customers want is not reasonable. And to be honest the only people I've really heard complain so much about controllers changing are the smash community and a few people who hate motions controls/have poor hand eye coordination.

(EDIT: for clarification, the only thing controllers nintendo needs to do is make wired one or at least make a driver so that 3rd parties [madcatz?] can make one)

controller explaination (my pov):

NES
SNES=NES+buttons
N64= SNES+3 prongs+buttons (remove the prongs and it loks like a SNES controller with analog+buttons)
GC= completely new button layout and shell tailored to smash iirc
wii= sideways NES+buttons / attachments that made it more like snes+buttons
wii u (gamepad and wii u pro): SNES layout + triggers+analogs+new shell (same layout with a different feel)

tldr version: GC is actually the oddball and is the controller that is most inconsistent.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Can't you set up the Wii Classic Pro Controller similar to the Gamecube? I don't own a Wii Classic Controller, so don't rant about it.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If a third party made a GameCube controller for wii u I would never buy it, every third party controller I brought was a waste of money.(they broke in 10 days) I would have to adapt to the new controllers sigh as long as I can perform all my imputs as fast as I did with my GameCube controller then I am fine.
I don't know what controllers you're buying, but I've had my 360 arcade stick for three and a half years now and it's still working fine.

Can't you set up the Wii Classic Pro Controller similar to the Gamecube? I don't own a Wii Classic Controller, so don't rant about it.
Aside from a resistance to change, there is the legitimate concern for wireless lag and interference at tournaments.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Another pointless thread. People are going to choose the controller they like best, and the GC Controller crowd will either buy an adapter or choose the Wii U Pro, or the Classic Pro.

EDIT: The only reasonable request is for Nintendo to create drivers that support wired controllers.

pitthekit

Smash Ace
I don't know what controllers you're buying, but I've had my 360 arcade stick for three and a half years now and it's still working fine.

Aside from a resistance to change, there is the legitimate concern for wireless lag and interference at tournaments.
Oh yeah that is gonna be a pain... After every set you are gonna have to change your batteries to desync.... Better keep Duracell battery's! (Shameless advertisement )

Another pointless thread. People are going to choose the controller they like best, and the GC Controller crowd will either buy an adapter or choose the Wii U Pro, or the Classic Pro.

EDIT: The only reasonable request is for Nintendo to create drivers that support wired controllers.
Speaking of adapters has anyone tried this? What was your results????

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
Just get used to this...
My ****ing god...
We're going to have people whining 20 years in the future about the newest system not having GC controller compatibility.
The fact that you cannot adapt to change is the reason people hate everything that they are uncomfortable with (ie anything other than Melee with a GC controller)

Someone seriously asked if there was a way to connect the GC to a 3DS to play Smash on...

This is ridiculous

If you can't play Smash with this then you seriously have a problem

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom