• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All Smash Players Matter

sirkibble2

Smash Rookie
Link to original post: [drupal=3113]All Smash Players Matter[/drupal]

At our school (San Diego State) we have a few Smash players (mostly Brawl) who play Brawl pretty much everyday. It's their break away from school, my break from work and a time to build friendships and get better at the game. What's also great about the community is that we have a plethora of different type of players--hardcore, competitive, very casual, etc. Surprisingly, we all get along and have fun in the end.

I would consider myself a casual smasher who plays competitively. That sounds strange because a casual smasher doesn't really look at the metagame of Smash. Well, I do but unfortunately, because of life, I don't have time to actually put into practice the AT's and all the other pro stuff that goes into the game. Therefore, I play casually but with as much as I can practice when I do play. Basically, when I play Smash, I come to play competitively--just don't get to do it a lot.

Last night, I got off of work and went down to our gaming area and two of my friends were playing Brawl. I was a little shocked to see a lot of characters flying around and them using a custom stage. When I finally got closer to see all the chaos, I found they were playing with percentages on 300%, 99 lives and all explosive items. I admit, at first I was thinking "for real?" I came down there to play Smash. I mean *play* Smash. Not fool around. I'm already bad enough as it is, I'd like to take every chance to get better.

After sitting down and marveling at the madness, one of my friends asked if I wanted to join in. I looked down at my GCN controller and back up at him and said with a hint of hesitation, "Sure." I wasn't trying to be elitist, I just had the competitive mindset going. As soon as I said "Sure," I decided to put that away and just have fun for a moment. I'm so glad I did.

After playing the very, very long match, we all left with a huge grin on our face and was laughing at all the chaos that happened for the last 45 minutes. Even I, mister competitive in our community had a huge grin and was declaring that match was a ton of fun.

Let's not ever get to the point where we're too great or good or too competitive or too hardcore or pro to ever just play a match with the way other people play the game. It's uncomfortable sometimes to "sink down to their level of play" but in the end, Smash isn't just about a game, it's about a community also. The community is strong and it's been going for a long time. That doesn't just happen from a group of strictly serious smashers. That comes from a variety of players with different views on the game that brings a freshness to the game.

I definitely learned that all players are important to the game and community of Smash. Hopefully, that keeps being reflected in the community!

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Good blog, and point well taken. I know some of the most fun I've had playing Melee was Super Sudden Death with my wife.

Avenger7x

Smash Cadet
Man, I remember those days when I used to just play for fun and not to win every match. I have to admit that those days were the best. Playing competitively has it's highlights and definitely satisfies the part of me that wants to dominate, but the game was made for pure fun. Sometimes it's good to come back to what this game is really all about. Great post, well stated.

jivegamer

Smash Cadet
Amen. I never have so much fun as when I just screw around with friends. I still like no-item, 3 stock, neutral stage rules, but it's nice to switch it up once in a while.

BTW, I'm also in San Diego ;)

Top Bottom