• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All of Dedede's chaingrabs are inescapable.(Updated with Video)

CO18

Smash Hero
Edit: Here's the vid. The characters featured are marth, pit and sonic with my friend trying to escape via ^B.
Just 2 min of Boring chaingrabs.
Be sure to watch the 2 min of Boring chaingrabs in high quality! :)
*Note when I mess up I usually just end up standing there because I accidentally dash before hes released since the tming is really tight and you have to dash asap after the down throw.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5aBzao3Aus

Many of us (including myself) have been under the impression that the only inescapable chain grab is Dedede's shield cancelled grab and that the dashing grab and dashing shield grab can be escaped or broken by some character's move, the main ones being Sonic, Marth, and Pit's up+bs.
So the other day I was watching a japense dedede ( vids from ketubato a big japanese tourney) and I watched some guy chaingrab Pit perfectly in the match so I wanted to try it for myself.

Then my friend came over the same day and him and I spent alot of time time testing it, as I chaingrabbed and he Up+bed during the chaingrab and I came to the conclusion that all of Dedede's the cgs are inescapable.

I was able to cg, Marth , pit, and sonic perfectly with him mashing up+b afte awhile <.<.

The timing for this is extremeeeely tight to say the least, you basically have to dash the exact second you down throw him, dash the perfect distance then press Z.
But it is indeed inescapable and after awhile I was able to do this 4-5 times straight across FD if I was in a groove.
The shield cancelled grab is still better obviously since you wont be easily punished if you mess up plus you get more cgs in per stage length but it is still good to know none the less.

I have videos too that I could upload if you guys wanted to see it.

Liquid_Kai?

Smash Apprentice
Wow, this is really great news. I think i might go into training mode and practise for a bit. Istill havnt got the Sheild canceled grab timing perfect yet but i'll work on it.
Japanese are awesome they always find this stuff out. Yeah any video would be greatly apreciated, just to prove to the whiners saying "Chaingrabbing is escapable you newwwb".

Nice find CO18

Nikz0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nik615
3DS FC
4468-0969-5023
I was actually practicing this last night on a Pit in training with him set to the RUN mode to make sure if I messed up the timing, he would get out. I agree with you 100% of everything you said. It's definitely possible, but it does require extremely good timing though. XD

CO18

Smash Hero
lol you have every right to say that vayseth.

Also Ill upload the vids once I get home tonight.

ynnek123

Smash Ace
whoa, I first read this as "all of dedede's chaingrabs are escapable" xD it's not of too much use to know this though, right? or does it have some uses over the SCG??

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
Good info, CO18. Dash grabs aren't bad, it's just that SCGs are much safer, since you don't tumble. Kinda makes me wonder if the developers knew he could chain grab, since they implemented that.

Wölf

Smash Apprentice
whats an chaingrab?
I don't know, what's an obvious troll?

Anyway this technique is funny, seeing as I figured it out like as soon as I knew what a Chaingrab was. I always thought Dash grabbing was the way that you're supposed to CG. Lol :p

R4ZE

Smash Ace
its not actually true. the truth behind chain grabs... for sonic atleast is that they are all escapable, but usually there is only one way to do it. and you have to know which kind of chaingrab ur DDD foe is doing to know which escape needs to be used.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Thanks for making this video, Means that I've been doing OK with the Z chaingrab. Now to get better at the infinite one, I can do it about 10 times or so before I mess up. have you made a video about how to reverse Bair? I've been having problems with that one.

CO18

Smash Hero
its not actually true. the truth behind chain grabs... for sonic atleast is that they are all escapable, but usually there is only one way to do it. and you have to know which kind of chaingrab ur DDD foe is doing to know which escape needs to be used.
No, None of Dedede's cgs are escapable.

Sonic doesn't have a chain grab, that's just seeing how your opponent reacts and re grabbing him if you see the opportunity.

R!S3

Smash Apprentice
If I am understanding correctly...

You are claiming that you can preform an inescapable chain grab using only the dash and "Z" button.

The only problem is timing...

Timed correctly you can preform inescapable chain grabs using only the dash and "Z" button.

While this may be good news to some.

The shield cancel will always be better due to the fact that you are not punishable if you ever miss.

None the less. This must of taken you a good bit of time to identify. Good find.

But for those of you looking for the easy way out...The shield cancel IS better

whut?

Smash Journeyman
OP updated with video.
No one cares? I do..thanks for making one of the more worthy threads on this board in a long time, CO18.
(if you tested right) This confirms what ive thought, but had no way of testing.
I get tired of seeing people discuss the CG when they dont know anything about it.
Which is partly why i dont post anymore, the pseudo understanding widespread on SWF. But i do pay attention, and you have my recognition.
It wont change my personal methods at all..but this is vital information, regardless if popular opinion doesnt give a ****.

Top Bottom