• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
So I've been talking to the FGCC guys, and they are being very reasonable. We are trying to do what we can to get the event extended, but as any tournament host knows, sometimes asking for a couple hours can make a huge difference in price.

Stay tuned, but for now know we're working on it.

FGCC_Hussler

Smash Rookie
For future reference:
FGCC Voice | Personal Voice

---

Hi guys,

Farhan, Co-Pres of the FGCC here.

Just wanted to let you all know that the room booking process is very complicated and Brad and will I do our best to extend the time and provide you with as many setups as possible for the event.

Thanks!

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
but if you want serious matches and you don't last long in the tournament, play some MM's, Arthur loves penny MM's.
lol shots fired
@below i seriously doubt in calgary there would be more than 5-6 people that would vouch on this website for a tourney but i believe there is a significant community that does not access this website. sometimes the brawl crowd outnumbers the melee community.
personally, i want 64, melee,and project m(even tho i havent tried it)

also moe, are u bringing your wii tomm?;)

Alphicans

Smash Hero
It depends on the level of interest from the calgary crowd. I don't want to enter brawl just to play the same people from edmonton just in a lesser number. However if there are a bunch of other people who are going to enter then I would like brawl. But as it was just said, lots of the brawl players do not post on smashboards, and if they're on AiB it's pretty hard to communicate with them.

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
I think some brawlers in calgary just hear about events from classmates/dont put effort to get events together/just show up and play.
some of these brawlers have better attendance than *cough* arthur *cough*
i personally think that ben's opinion is the most important on this issue, as he is the most connected to the calgary brawl community

Tyson651

Smash Lord
I don't know of many brawl players in Calgary so if there is any, none of them are committed and can't be viewed as an attendee for this event. I'd say replace brawl with PM.

:phone:

Stevo

Smash Champion
Don't Brawl players just play free for all explosives high anyway? :awesome:

sadly, the only smasher I found in Athabasca told me that this is how he and his friends play, free for all and items high explosives only lol. I started to explain smash to someone else, and he jumped in and was like "it's just a button masher!"

I was trying to get people into Project M up here, but there is no hope.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
Yes, I will. Im trying to see if my friend will have his bday party on some other weekend though (his bday is Nov 11).

Im like 90% sure I can.

Stevo

Smash Champion
If I go I can probably drive a couple people. Who is interested? (I'm still not 100% confirmed though)

I also might go down early, since I have family there.... so it might not work out anyway....

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Don't Brawl players just play free for all explosives high anyway? :awesome:

sadly, the only smasher I found in Athabasca told me that this is how he and his friends play, free for all and items high explosives only lol. I started to explain smash to someone else, and he jumped in and was like "it's just a button masher!"

I was trying to get people into Project M up here, but there is no hope.
LOL! I've heard "it's a button masher" before and it confuses me soooo much. Even in my pre-competitive smash days I never viewed smash as a button masher... Like how could you? Especially melee, where button mashing can make you air dodge all over the place, and double jumping off the stage etc.

I guess I have to accept some people can never understand smash bros.

Yes, I will. Im trying to see if my friend will have his bday party on some other weekend though (his bday is Nov 11).

Im like 90% sure I can.

It's been forever. We teaming?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
yeah, even back in like 64 days, button smashing in smash made you look like an idiot lol

my guess is that it comes from the idea that fighter games in general are button smashers, which is more or less true for casual players. oh well.

I think Connor and I are gonna carpool in to Calgary

I don't mind Melee, won't be competing in Brawl, and would much rather have P:M over anything.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Maybe button mashing as in C-stick mashing.

>Marth
>F-smash

Or rolling and sidestep.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
ah yes rolling into c-stick smashes, good times.

then when i learned wavedashing, i used luigi and wavedashed into smashes instead, equally good times.

FGCC_Hussler

Smash Rookie
Alright, thanks for the info.
I've been in contact with Ben since September, so I'll chat with him today and see what him and the brawl community says. If no one wants to put money down for brawl, then we'll strictly do a melee and p:m tournament. :)

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
I don't know of many brawl players in Calgary so if there is any, none of them are committed and can't be viewed as an attendee for this event. I'd say replace brawl with PM.

I agree with the idea, but we have to confirm the idea. Believe it or not, if properly advertised we've had a bigger brawl scene than melee. They may not be even close to edmonton in strength, but they have numbers.

I'm hoping to hear from Hansel and them

If I go I can probably drive a couple people. Who is interested? (I'm still not 100% confirmed though)

I also might go down early, since I have family there.... so it might not work out anyway....
yI think Connor and I are gonna carpool in to Calgary

Well, lets cover some things. Who needs places to stay? I'd like to get that organized.

Steve if you're coming early, how early? I may be able to accomodate some people early depending on dates.

Alright, thanks for the info.
I've been in contact with Ben since September, so I'll chat with him today and see what him and the brawl community says. If no one wants to put money down for brawl, then we'll strictly do a melee and p:m tournament. :)

I concur.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
My apartment is super super small. So I can only house one person and if it's cause there's no other places. I live in a super small bachelors.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
was it like 1 ganon vs 3 pichus?

i faintly remember being shock combo'd on the cloud on yoshi's

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
Brawl has a lot of casual players anywhere, which certainly includes Calgary. The first tournament hosted by the Video game Club last year had over 25 entrants. Now, Luke would probably 2-3 stock all of us, but in terms of numbers the Calgary Brawl community is decently sized. However, the problem is that casual attendance is never guaranteed, and subsequent tournaments for Brawl in Calgary showed that.

The main issue I have is that Brawl would be switched out for Project M. Project M is probably an extremely fun and no doubt competitive mod, but I doubt many individuals outside of the competitive community know of its existence. To put it bluntly, a bunch of people would probably come in and be like, "WTH is this?" Not to mention that the tournament has already been advertised as Brawl and Melee, and suddenly changing that to Melee and Project M would be unfair to Brawl players already committed to going (and those people exist, at least based on the Facebook event).

I don't feel as if there is a clear benefit to exchanging Brawl for Project M. People are suggesting that Calgary has no interest in Brawl, but I highly doubt they have more interest in a community mod. I suppose Project M may see more interest in the Calgary Melee scene (and certainly has more interest from Edmonton AFAIK), but it seems to be restraining the scene rather than growing it. Appealing to the same individuals that have been attending tournaments already, and shunning possible new members of the community that would have attended Brawl, seems counter-intuitive to promoting a larger smash scene.

If you like Project M far better than Brawl, that's a fair comment. However, I don't think it should determine the main events at the FGCC tournament.

Anyway, I support a Project M side event, and if there is time a Project M main tournament, but I do not think Brawl should be sacrificed for Project M. It is possible that newcomers to Brawl and Melee like Project M and grow the scene, but as of now Project M's interest is basically restricted to those within the community already. That is why I feel Project M should not become one of the main events, in place of Brawl, at least for this tournament. If casuals outside this community really like it and get into it, it may be another matter; for now though, just keep it Melee and Brawl.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
i'll be ganon lolol.

whats that pichu thing we were doing though. i remember it was the same shiz as that

edit: and to respond to this ^

its not just appealing to the same individuals, its appealing to the majority of the people coming. so unless you can guarantee a decently sized group of brawl players, then that would be counter-intuitive. lets say we have brawl as a main event, and 3 brawl players attend out of the 20 casuals. its a waste of time for all of edmonton since they can guarantee their attendance of 10 people (and prefer P:M over brawl).

so your only option for keeping brawl is to get a good amount of brawl players to attend guaranteed.

also this is kinda off of a tangent, but i'm pretty sure a lot of the casual players become discouraged from coming because they prefer to keep it "casual".

Taste

Smash Apprentice
i thought the empty space was free? ben had the empty space multiple times, dont recall there being a time restraint, but we've played for more than 5 hours at a time.
To be fair, that was during the spring and summer. most of the clubs had left, so really I had a LOT of leeway to do what I wanted (I also booked up to four months in advance). I totally understand it's harder/ more expensive to get a room booked right now. You just need to walk past mac hall conference rooms and read how many events are running in a given day (5-10) vs during the summer (1-3) to realize how busy things are.

I'll try to contact the brawl peeps and see how many we can guarantee. Personally I'm not too picky about what runs that day, and as long as we maybe have a setup or two for free play then people will be ok. I agree that if randoms show that most will probably not head straight for project M. That being said we should for sure run it. I've never played project M before but I'm pumped to try. It'll be fun to watch too.

Hopefully we get enough space and time to make everyone happy. unlikely!

Edit: Hmm if it was already advertised as a brawl event that is a lil shifty.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
i'll be ganon lolol.

whats that pichu thing we were doing though. i remember it was the same shiz as that

edit: and to respond to this ^

its not just appealing to the same individuals, its appealing to the majority of the people coming. so unless you can guarantee a decently sized group of brawl players, then that would be counter-intuitive. lets say we have brawl as a main event, and 3 brawl players attend out of the 20 casuals. its a waste of time for all of edmonton since they can guarantee their attendance of 10 people (and prefer P:M over brawl).

so your only option for keeping brawl is to get a good amount of brawl players to attend guaranteed.

also this is kinda off of a tangent, but i'm pretty sure a lot of the casual players become discouraged from coming because they prefer to keep it "casual".
Sorry, I was only aware of 4-5 people that showed interest from Edmonton. I don't really go to the RPS thread anymore, but who are these 10 people? If there really is that much confirmed interest from Edmonton, it makes for a fairly strong argument.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Melee people are interested.

If there's P:M, brawl people would be interested too likely.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
you really want me to name people? lol

stevo, victra, connor, crusayer, kuraudo, killock, alphicans, after dawn, lemonlau, frio, falsefalco, sraigux, dragonz, fraser, and whatever other brawl people i dont even know/forgot to name.

plus/minus 5 people for naming people who arent going and people im forgetting. but i can see at least 8 of them that are really likely of going.

now that i think about it, what happened to carl and sraigux?

and arthur, yes thats true but just dont be gay lol

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I've seen sraigux on campus a few times. I guess he quit smash without saying anything. I am sure Carl still likes melee, but is now too cool for smashboards!

Ramgopal

Smash Rookie
If there are problems in gathering a fair amount of people, so that a brawl tournament takes place, I could try and bring other people. It would be unfair to the brawl players if their tournament is replaced by a mod that many brawl players may be unfamiliar with. Therefore, it would be logical to hold a tournament that pleases the melee and brawl community. Otherwise, the brawl players can hold a tournament at an alternate location if they wish, such as someone's home. My friends and I are willing to hold the tournament in our homes if this addition of Project M hinders the brawl tournament. So far, Kam and I are willing to hold the brawl tournament in our homes.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I only suggested stopping the brawl tournament because none of you guys post here and make it known there is a community. If you guys voiced your interest these suggestions would never be made.

I would be really pumped if there was a large potential brawl community in calgary, and it kind of sounds like there is. Stop hiding and come on to these sites!

Top Bottom