• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Anime

Smash Journeyman
Lol, I like when people start series that they brand as being a part of the community, without being, like, a part of the community. Also there are too many - City Smash'es already

Doc_Pickle

Smash Apprentice
Man am I craving a statewide tournament. I'd pitch in a $300 pot if we can get that to happen.
Nothing guaranteed but I'm working on a smash 4 only tourney in Tuscaloosa this Fall. Nothing confirmed or planned at all yet though it's all in my head at the moment.

BeastRay

Smash Cadet
NNID
pray75
Official post requesting that setups move away from TVs and advancing to low lag gaming monitors.

It's time you guys experienced the sexy play of laglessness.

BeastRay

Smash Cadet
NNID
pray75
Scrap my previous suggestion, I've got an HDMI splitter and extra cables, so I'm just going to bring my own and use it in tourney. Maybe I can make some converts.

Doc_Pickle

Smash Apprentice
Official post requesting that setups move away from TVs and advancing to low lag gaming monitors.

It's time you guys experienced the sexy play of laglessness.
Scrap my previous suggestion, I've got an HDMI splitter and extra cables, so I'm just going to bring my own and use it in tourney. Maybe I can make some converts.
As long as we still get game audio. Not having game sounds bugs me and most setups with monitors don't have sound.

BeastRay

Smash Cadet
NNID
pray75
As long as we still get game audio. Not having game sounds bugs me and most setups with monitors don't have sound.
I actually mean I'm going to play on a second monitor, separate to the primary one on the setup. I have a splitter so I can pull it off. I think BenQ monitors are supposed to have good in game sound, but to me I'd sacrifice my access to sound if I can actually do my normal stuff. It's maddening dropping bnb combos because I can't do what I do a thousand times on my own setups.

I'll chat with people from Michigan and Chicago and ask them about sound issues, though. It was weird in Dallas at first, but I got used to it.

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
I agree on the tournament oversaturation in AL. As much as I like the variety in options, times, and locations, I hope we can get an overall consensus by most of the TO's. Otherwise I feel like everything will get very disorganized. That includes everything from regular scheduling to keeping player stats.

Keet

Smash Journeyman
If you have an issue with these tournaments, the best thing you can possibly do is simply support the tournaments that you enjoy and want to see succeed. If tournaments get little to no attendance I doubt they will continue for very long.

I do agree that it is pretty frustrating when new tournaments are run by people who have very little to no experience in the smash community. Especially when they start charging a venue fee right from the start.

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
If you have an issue with these tournaments, the best thing you can possibly do is simply support the tournaments that you enjoy and want to see succeed. If tournaments get little to no attendance I doubt they will continue for very long.

I do agree that it is pretty frustrating when new tournaments are run by people who have very little to no experience in the smash community. Especially when they start charging a venue fee right from the start.
That's pretty much going to be my method from now on: support the tournaments I regularly attend I order to keep them going.

And it's not like I hate their optimism. But when someone tries to assert themselves in a somewhat balanced/established community without discussion it hurts more than it helps. At least that's my view on the situation.

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
I wanted to make a post with all of the same ideas that everyone else has been saying but I don't want to be unfair to new people trying to host these events. Like they do pop up and are random but having them aren't necessarily bad for other people who can't travel on that weekend.

Keet

Smash Journeyman
I wanted to make a post with all of the same ideas that everyone else has been saying but I don't want to be unfair to new people trying to host these events. Like they do pop up and are random but having them aren't necessarily bad for other people who can't travel on that weekend.
I love community involvement. I want people to be as involved as possible, and if for some that means running tournaments then that's fantastic and all the more power to them. That's definitely how I got involved with TOing.

Personally I feel that running a tournament should be done so with the goal of bettering the scene for everyone. And that's why I find issue when people who haven't been involved in the scene at all that start running tournaments. They can't really gauge what the scene needs because they've had very little involvement.

Maybe I'm looking too deep into this. I'm definitely open to trying out new tournaments that are run at a high standard, but I think everyone should prioritize supporting the tried and true monthlies run by people that love the community, (Bham Brawl, HASL, BIO, etc.)

sound

Banned via Warnings
I love community involvement. I want people to be as involved as possible, and if for some that means running tournaments then that's fantastic and all the more power to them. That's definitely how I got involved with TOing.

Personally I feel that running a tournament should be done so with the goal of bettering the scene for everyone. And that's why I find issue when people who haven't been involved in the scene at all that start running tournaments. They can't really gauge what the scene needs because they've had very little involvement.

Maybe I'm looking too deep into this. I'm definitely open to trying out new tournaments that are run at a high standard, but I think everyone should prioritize supporting the tried and true monthlies run by people that love the community, (Bham Brawl, HASL, BIO, etc.)
Aren't you the guy that started another smash tournament in Birmingham?

Wundermittens

UAB Smash Club VP
NNID
Panionator
Aren't you the guy that started another smash tournament in Birmingham?
Yes, we were told by about 1000 different people to do a bi-weekly on Sundays so we listened!

There are many tournaments being held by gamestores recently. I feel that these gamestores should not run tournaments buuuuuuut instead just sponser the already known tournaments! Then it is a win win win situation. The store wins, the TO wins, and the community wins.

powergamer

Smash Apprentice
I have no issue with people wanting to host tournaments in alabama, however the trend so far is that everyone wants to have their own monthly. I would much rather see people put alot more time and effort into a bigger tournament that only happens every so often. I'm one of the head TOs along with Alias and sound for the DGR tournaments and as much as I would love to be able to run a monthly tournament because TOing is one of the most fun things in the smash scene to me, it simply isn't what the current state of AL needs.

DGR only comes around one a semester and usually we get a large turn out of people (DGR4 was a bit on the light side for smash). Other states like Georgia and Tennessee do have their monthlies but they also throw in bigger, non monthly tournaments such as Kings of the South and Tipped Off for GA and Scenic City and What the Fox for TN, among others. Off the top of my head the only other non monthly we have is McMansion which is a huge and awesome tournament and pulls in florida but may also be too far away from people in AL.

Biweekly tournaments are another thing, and I don't see them as a contributing problem right now, as typically you aren't to expect very much people outside of your local area to come and generally they fall on weekdays. Auburn has a biweekly that usually gets around 10-15 people for each game, sometimes Troy comes over, sometimes Phenix city does, but we aren't dissatisfied by the turn out because we don't expect people to try 2-4 hours for it.

I don't think any of the current monthlies should bow out, but in my opinion I think it would be cool if the TOs of each monthly would try to make their event larger than a monthly every 4-5 months (if this means getting a larger venue and planning far in advance to get OoS people then it should be done), or cancelling their event that month if another group in alabama is has planned for a much bigger event. Justin Joe cancelled a BB for DGR3 when they fell on the same date because he'd rather see everyone go to one event than have people split among two. Compromise has to be made sometimes, especially if you run a monthly because eventually if no one budges on their event the state will become spread to thin.

Also we have a problem with people not wanting to travel very far in alabama, which why would they when every place has a monthly now, a problem that is compounded by the fact that we have no major tournaments in alabama to out compete with them to give people motivation to leave their hour drive limit.

tl;dr: AL needs more major tournaments and less mid sized tournaments, or at the very least compromise from mid sized tournaments to accommodate the major tournaments when they do come around so they don't fall flat on their face. All of this requires more planning and organization than what we are currently used to do doing as well.

BeastRay

Smash Cadet
NNID
pray75
Dallas had a tourney for every day of the week, lol. One just canceled due to low turnout but it's on the other side of town. They're looking for a better location.

Last edited:
Top Bottom