• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

TeezyJetson

Smash Rookie
tournament over-saturation is a very real thing when people in intermediate areas have to make the decision of which AL tournament they want to go to on a certain weekend

having 5+ hubs in AL that all want their own monthlies is a problem if the TOs of those hubs actually expect people from other cities to come to their tournaments

at this point it's just important for everyone to realize that the "monthly" tournament format is one that should no longer aim to achieve state-wide (or even just non-local) talent
The decision of which tournament you want to go to is entirely up to you throughout the month. Until this UAB tournament, there hasnt really been major schedule conflicts. The tourneys have been doing a fair job of not overlapping hosting on the same weekend so that means it is still up to you where you want to go. For instance, if you want to be in a tourney that should have a determined j00t and an equally determined Rag then you would have to come to BB6. If you are close to Mobile than unless you want to drive a long way to Tuscaloosa or Birmingham or even Huntsiville than you have events in Mobile with some good players and you have events in Troy and Auburn.

I think that the variety helps in terms of giving you a plenty of tournaments but a good number of subregions to scrimmage with until you want to spend some extra money traveling. It also lets people on the outside know that we have an active scene so that it can grow further and we have more opportunites down the line to host bigger events.

We could host a big regional here in AL since we have too many monthlies. We could even push for a national one day, you know? But for now, I think that this over saturation is cool for now and will help if it attracts more competitors.

In terms of PR rankings, I understand where the problem would be for that but I think it is easier to think about when you keep in mind that the best way of judging a true PR has to be based on tourney placings, number of tourneys entered in and out of state, head to heads in tourney and all that, which I am sure yall know but I felt a need to throw in because I dont agree with splitting the PR either. Good news is that it seems that we are going to get a lot of that settled in 2 weeks. I am actually interested to see j00t and Rag in the same tourney for a change. I think that issues between north and south AL are best settled in Bham or Tuscaloosa and hopefully the results of BB6 will show that.

Dron

Smash Apprentice
The decision of which tournament you want to go to is entirely up to you throughout the month. Until this UAB tournament, there hasnt really been major schedule conflicts. The tourneys have been doing a fair job of not overlapping hosting on the same weekend so that means it is still up to you where you want to go. For instance, if you want to be in a tourney that should have a determined j00t and an equally determined Rag then you would have to come to BB6. If you are close to Mobile than unless you want to drive a long way to Tuscaloosa or Birmingham or even Huntsiville than you have events in Mobile with some good players and you have events in Troy and Auburn.

I think that the variety helps in terms of giving you a plenty of tournaments but a good number of subregions to scrimmage with until you want to spend some extra money traveling. It also lets people on the outside know that we have an active scene so that it can grow further and we have more opportunites down the line to host bigger events.

We could host a big regional here in AL since we have too many monthlies. We could even push for a national one day, you know? But for now, I think that this over saturation is cool for now and will help if it attracts more competitors.

In terms of PR rankings, I understand where the problem would be for that but I think it is easier to think about when you keep in mind that the best way of judging a true PR has to be based on tourney placings, number of tourneys entered in and out of state, head to heads in tourney and all that, which I am sure yall know but I felt a need to throw in because I dont agree with splitting the PR either. Good news is that it seems that we are going to get a lot of that settled in 2 weeks. I am actually interested to see j00t and Rag in the same tourney for a change. I think that issues between north and south AL are best settled in Bham or Tuscaloosa and hopefully the results of BB6 will show that.
i agree that the choice to go to a tournament within AL's borders every weekend is an amazing thing

but as soon as overlap starts to happen on the same weekend, that's the point in which people have to decide which tournament they'd rather go to, which at the very least creates some level of competition between in-state TOs and in a worse case creates drama and tension

i'd also like to clarify that i could not care less about a PR and don't think the desire to have a PR should be of particular importance when looking at these things or making bureaucratic decisions (although it is true that no overlap means more interaction between different cities, which leads to a more conducive PR which is something clearly many people do care about)

ragnarock

Smash Lord
Everyone has a laptop except me. I have to type on my phone. And its very exhausting. But I have to agree with mahgnitoc. Ima just call you magnificent, cause my phone won't spell your name correctly. But let's not get emotional, but sickolas has a point also on the competition end. We do have hard tournaments, but anybody can win at anytime, any day. I also agree with dron on Huntsville and Mobile having overlapping tourney dates. I mean the drive is too far on both ends. And bham is one hell of a drive. We should have a Montgomery tourney and call it Civil War. That would be off the chain.

Last edited:

TeezyJetson

Smash Rookie
We should have a Montgomery tourney and call it Civil War. That would be off the chain.
I would agree with this but I dont think we have enough of a scene or footing in Montgomery to make this a real thing. If we do, let me know but I havent heard of any events coming out of there.

Wundermittens

UAB Smash Club VP
NNID
Panionator
I'm scared to even post in here because I'm afraid I'm just gonna get a bunch of crap back but here it goes.

We are NOT trying to mess up BIO. We just went to BIO last week and had a great time.
Our first meeting for our brand spanking new smash club at UAB is on Monday. Who knows how many people will show up. The plan is to have an event in which we can sponsor our club in order to grow our member count. Unfortunately, the only time available for a while is to have it March 5th. We do not want to wait because the sooner our club explodes with members, the better. So please, if you were planning on going to BIO already then go to BIO. If you are low on gas and don't feel like driving and live in Bham, then we got you covered. If you want to have a fun time playing the game you love, then go to either tournament.
If you want to beat Mr. Boner in melee, then he will be at DTS at UAB.
Also, the plan is to put up fliers in the near by high schools and to put them up in gamestops. That being said, our tournament will probably have many lower level players so if you are looking for more of a challenge, then please hit up BIO.
I apologize to BIO for all of this hooplah. I just hope that on March 5th, everyone gets to go to a tournament and everyone has fun doing it.

Anime

Smash Journeyman
@ Anime I don't think so. I still think it tight
If you're talking about the Montgomery tournament idea, we where talking about that in a PM group chat when we where talking about stage lists. With that exact name actually. And TeezyJetson TeezyJetson , it doesn't matter what the scene is actually like there, Montgomery is in the middle of AL, so we could draw all of AL, theoretically anyway. It would take a group effort from the state's TOs but it would be cool.

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
I'm scared to even post in here because I'm afraid I'm just gonna get a bunch of crap back but here it goes.

We are NOT trying to mess up BIO. We just went to BIO last week and had a great time.
Our first meeting for our brand spanking new smash club at UAB is on Monday. Who knows how many people will show up. The plan is to have an event in which we can sponsor our club in order to grow our member count. Unfortunately, the only time available for a while is to have it March 5th. We do not want to wait because the sooner our club explodes with members, the better. So please, if you were planning on going to BIO already then go to BIO. If you are low on gas and don't feel like driving and live in Bham, then we got you covered. If you want to have a fun time playing the game you love, then go to either tournament.
Also, the plan is to put up fliers in the near by high schools and to put them up in gamestops. That being said, our tournament will probably have many lower level players so if you are looking for more of a challenge, then please hit up BIO.
I apologize to BIO for all of this hooplah. I just hope that on March 5th, everyone gets to go to a tournament and everyone has fun doing it.
So you might not know me, but I was the one who originally started the BIO series. I just want to ask, just who in the **** do you think you are, and why do you think you have a right to infringe on OUR tournament scene?

Really though, we wish you the best. I know how hard it can be to start up a scene from scratch, so do whatever you need to.

TeezyJetson

Smash Rookie
If you're talking about the Montgomery tournament idea, we where talking about that in a PM group chat when we where talking about stage lists. With that exact name actually. And TeezyJetson TeezyJetson , it doesn't matter what the scene is actually like there, Montgomery is in the middle of AL, so we could draw all of AL, theoretically anyway. It would take a group effort from the state's TOs but it would be cool.
Well the reason I mention that is because it would be more advantageous to have someone who lives in Montgomery be involved to help secure a good location. The group effort is needed as well but I feel that is still key to making such an event a success. The TOs we have are already busy with their own tourneys and ambitions as well so better to have another person or several closer to Montgomery be in the mix.

It could still happen but it will be less of a hassle imo

Wundermittens

UAB Smash Club VP
NNID
Panionator
So you might not know me, but I was the one who originally started the BIO series. I just want to ask, just who in the **** do you think you are, and why do you think you have a right to infringe on OUR tournament scene?

Really though, we wish you the best. I know how hard it can be to start up a scene from scratch, so do whatever you need to.
To answer your question:
My name is Sam and I like to party.

Eric Compton

Smash Cadet

lmao what highschool kid is gonna want to go to a smashbrothers tournament?

Child Star

Smash Ace

Fun Fact: it was called BIOCS for a while until A certain player left the scene.

PrinceAlias

Smash Journeyman
Walks into thread....sees its the same argument everyone has been arguing since Brawl days. *leaves*

P.S. come to DGR4 cause you all suck, j.k. just trying to get the salt flowing but we got more than enough of that here.

Shmig

Smash Cadet

You guys should think about doing a weekly or biweekly. Alabama doesn't need another monthly right now especially not in Birmingham.

Last edited:

Keet

Smash Journeyman
yeah it sounds like you're aware of the fact that your tournament may not garner much attention from outsiders, and this is knowledge that matters a lot imo

i'd also like to mention that divvying up weekends for monthlies is basically fruitless at this point, as we now have:

mobile
huntsville
tuscaloosa
auburn
birmingham
birmingham again?*
maybe troy in the future?
maybe montgomery in the future?

aka there's the potential for way too much **** to be going on all the time for anything truly substantive and communitively cohesive to be going on

* Keet Keet what scope are you looking at for you guys' tournaments? since birmingham brawl has already accrued attention as a monthly, it would seem that the best route for you guys to take would be to create smaller weeklies/biweeklies designated for local play. what your decision ends up being is up to you, but this is what seems logical
Yo dawg, looks like Sam's already answering most of the stuff noted here but I'll take a crack at em too.

I think our tournament will garner a good bit of attention, as a matter of fact it will probably have a very high Sm4sh turnout. I say this only because as Sam said, he previously threw a Birmingham tourney back in November or December with 70+ entrants. It was a Sm4sh only event, but that being said there were only a handful of recognizable players there. Tons of new guys I'd never seen before.

Also UAB has another gaming organization that regularly meets and holds small smash tournaments of there own with nearly no marketing, and while the competition isn't great, there's always a decent number of people that show interest.

This is sort of us reaching out to our fellow UAB students and showing them what competitive smash looks like. This first tournament is really not meant to take the place of these regular monthlies we have now. It's more of an intro type thing. It'll also help us gauge how many tournaments we can feasibly run as well as how many entrants to expect for Smash 64 and PM and such.

Sure we'd like to make this a monthly thing, or hell maybe even a weekly one. But either way we don't want to limit the tournament to just UAB students, and we definitely do not want to cover the already established monthlies in our area. That being said, besides BIO, HASL, and Bham Brawl there's really no monthly tournaments close enough. Hidden Power is a farther drive from Birmingham than most of Tennessee and a good bit of Georgia, and DGR isn't a monthly. And while I'd love for other cities like Montgomery and Troy to start their own respective series, I just don't think there is as much demand as there is in Birmingham simply due to the population. And if these cities did start their own monthlies, We'd be more than happy to alternate months with them and promote their tournaments as well as long as they are within a reasonable distance.

Maybe making it weekly would be more beneficial, considering it wouldn't cover any weekends, or maybe a Sunday or Friday tournament would be better. These are all options we are willing to explore as we don't want to step on anyone else's toes.

Once again, BIO is the **** and an awesome tournament and if you were planning on going this weekend GO! You won't regret it!

Pudding009 Pudding009 We will be pushing it for time between a Doubles tourney and singles, but If you guys make it I'll make sure some kind of crew battle happens! (Although I wouldn't want to leave the Huntsville guys out, maybe a TTown+Birmingham Vs. Huntsville thing?)

Last edited:

Wundermittens

UAB Smash Club VP
NNID
Panionator
yo Keet Keet if bio isnt the same weekend as your tournament and i can get some ttown guys how about ttown vs Birmingham crew battle?
Something that we definitely want to try and do is that once we have a solid amount of members for Smash Club @ UAB, take our group to play other groups in a battle. I imagine it would just be a tournament where the only entrants are people from the two groups and then you would take the 5 or 10 best places from each of the two groups. Then whoever has lowest score wins. For example, if T-Town had places 1,2,5,6,9 and UAB had places 3,4,7,8,10 then T-Town's score would be 23 and UAB's score would be 32 so T-Town would win since they had the lower score.

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
Something that we definitely want to try and do is that once we have a solid amount of members for Smash Club @ UAB, take our group to play other groups in a battle. I imagine it would just be a tournament where the only entrants are people from the two groups and then you would take the 5 or 10 best places from each of the two groups. Then whoever has lowest score wins. For example, if T-Town had places 1,2,5,6,9 and UAB had places 3,4,7,8,10 then T-Town's score would be 23 and UAB's score would be 32 so T-Town would win since they had the lower score.
Wouldn't a crew battle be a better format? Or are you specifically trying to do something different?

Wundermittens

UAB Smash Club VP
NNID
Panionator
Wouldn't a crew battle be a better format? Or are you specifically trying to do something different?
Well we know that not everyone in the Smash Club is going to be awesome at smash haha just a cold fact. That being said, we still don't want to exclude anybody. It's kind of like in cross country. Everyone gets to participate so nobody feels left out but only the top 5 players from your group really count. You feel me?

Shmig

Smash Cadet
Well we know that not everyone in the Smash Club is going to be awesome at smash haha just a cold fact. That being said, we still don't want to exclude anybody. It's kind of like in cross country. Everyone gets to participate so nobody feels left out but only the top 5 players from your group really count. You feel me?
Or your group could have incentive to get better

Wundermittens

UAB Smash Club VP
NNID
Panionator
Or your group could have incentive to get better
I somewhat agree but still don't want to exclude anyone.

There is a HUGE difference between trying to prove Smash Club at UAB is the best and trying to get students at UAB together to have fun.

Last edited:

GingerJesus

Smash Rookie
NNID
GingerJesus115
I honestly think the Auburn monthly shouldn't overlap with HP, and I agree that the only acceptable overlap should be Mobile/Huntsville, but I don't know how to best implement that, because if HP changes to the same weekend as HASL, we start to overlap with Gulf Coast tournaments, specifically Pensacola's.

GingerJesus

Smash Rookie
NNID
GingerJesus115
Also, Zylo Zylo , HP October had more than 50 entrants for Melee. I know for a fact because that was the tournament Roboturner got paid out for fourth, which wasn't supposed to happen, but whatever, lol. It was 87 unique, with more than 30 for each event. Which made running singles and doubles for three games hell.

Dron

Smash Apprentice
Maybe making it weekly would be more beneficial, considering it wouldn't cover any weekends, or maybe a Sunday or Friday tournament would be better. These are all options we are willing to explore as we don't want to step on anyone else's toes.
these are all good solutions!

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
A weekly would be better. It'll get the good players coming back then you can train those good people to go to other Tournies in the state. It's like you'll be Piccolo and they'd all be your Gohans.

Top Bottom