• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Even the people who do nothing but flame on the boards are decent people to be around in tournaments.

But hey if you play Sm4sh I'd totes be down with a ton of friendlies if we ever meet. Same with you E-Zonda

Shenanigan

Smash Apprentice
Talking more is illegal in China, do you WANT him executed before he gets back?
Fun fact, Smashboards actually isn't blocked in China. Anything else freedom related, however, is a big no-no.

Edit: Does someone wanna link me Birmingham Brawl results? I'm too lazy to sort through 127 notifications to find it.

Last edited:

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
I have to ask, I'm pretty intimidated by the Smash Community in Alabama. Going by my experiences, no one seemed nice to interact with really. Sorry if this offends anyone. Just wondering.
Smashers are pretty much the chillest people in real life. We just like to **** talk online because otherwise the thread would just be boring.

NNID
MasterIcarus7
After 15 hours of basic slave labor on rankings, a flaming infraction, three trolling infractions, a ban dodging infraction, a permanent penalty on this account, the account MasterIcarus7 getting perma-banned, and me binge-watching the entire series of Gurren Lagann, I am back. Also, I would like to point out that PhantomTheif still does not have a wii, ssbm, Pm 3.6, or a functional controller, yet he still placed higher than some people on this thread.

Finally, the top ten for project m (I still need the results for hidden power though) also, these rankings will be PM only, so I don't kill myself (or listen to every touhou remix on the planet) anyway
1. moogle - 375
2. Ninkendo64 - 340
3. Spade - 175.6
4. Shenanigans - 138.9
5. Ajred - 119.2
6. Tope - 110
6. Roboturner - 110
8. RAM - 105
9. JakeThePreacher - 85.2
10. CrimsonSun - 78.3

I hope you will all be attending Child Star's Basement Bash III: Featuring me vs child star in a $-1 money match over who the real child star is!

Also, I have started work on a new game, not gonna reveal anything about it.

For like the third time also, if you have a waifu post below so I can make a waifu tier list.

I am back guys. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Iof5pRAIZmw

Edit: yeah I know I said also twice, but in my defense, I don't have one

Post Edit: I also got banned from Fuzzyness' twitch channel.

Mr_Fruity people are jerks in smash 4, PM players be cool. And Melee too. But mostly PM.

Last edited:

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
Why is that?
We don't know your algorithm, you don't seem to be using too many tournament results, there are obvious glaring flaws (phantomthief at 4 or whatever it was), there's no one to check your work to ensure that what you're doing even makes sense, and a purely quantitative ranking system is bad for a state like Alabama that doesn't have that much travel outside of regions. I'm not saying it's impossible, and I'd be interested to see what proper implementation of an ELO system would produce as rankings, but I don't think your method leads to an accurate or lasting solution.

Shenanigan

Smash Apprentice
We don't know your algorithm, you don't seem to be using too many tournament results, there are obvious glaring flaws (phantomthief at 4 or whatever it was), there's no one to check your work to ensure that what you're doing even makes sense, and a purely quantitative ranking system is bad for a state like Alabama that doesn't have that much travel outside of regions. I'm not saying it's impossible, and I'd be interested to see what proper implementation of an ELO system would produce as rankings, but I don't think your method leads to an accurate or lasting solution.
His formula is roughly something like this:

1st - 10 x Number of entrants
2nd - 1/2 of 1st's points
3rd - 1/3 of 2nd's points
4th - 1/2 of 3rd's points
5th - 1/2 of 4th's points

and continues halving the points for each placing after that.

Last edited:

Mr_Fruity9

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zhyron23
After 15 hours of basic slave labor on rankings, a flaming infraction, three trolling infractions, a ban dodging infraction, a permanent penalty on this account, the account MasterIcarus7 getting perma-banned, and me binge-watching the entire series of Gurren Lagann, I am back. Also, I would like to point out that PhantomTheif still does not have a wii, ssbm, Pm 3.6, or a functional controller, yet he still placed higher than some people on this thread.

Finally, the top ten for project m (I still need the results for hidden power though) also, these rankings will be PM only, so I don't kill myself (or listen to every touhou remix on the planet) anyway
1. moogle - 375
2. Ninkendo64 - 340
3. Spade - 175.6
4. Shenanigans - 138.9
5. Ajred - 119.2
6. Tope - 110
6. Roboturner - 110
8. RAM - 105
9. JakeThePreacher - 85.2
10. CrimsonSun - 78.3

I hope you will all be attending Child Star's Basement Bash III: Featuring me vs child star in a $-1 money match over who the real child star is!

Also, I have started work on a new game, not gonna reveal anything about it.

For like the third time also, if you have a waifu post below so I can make a waifu tier list.

I am back guys. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Iof5pRAIZmw

Edit: yeah I know I said also twice, but in my defense, I don't have one

Post Edit: I also got banned from Fuzzyness' twitch channel.

Mr_Fruity people are jerks in smash 4, PM players be cool. And Melee too. But mostly PM.
Hello, how am I mean?

Last edited:

_Keno_

Smash Lord
I like the style of this system, and I agree that is how it should be. It encourages attendance provides and objective structure for rankings.

That being said, I will defer to my own judgement when I compare two people's skill level, because this list will not accurately represent that.

An older system is the "challenge system," where the top 20 or so are locked based on supposed skill levels (voted on by knowledgeable people). You have to challenge players (within 2 spaces of yourself) in order to move up the rankings, and someone not in the rankings can challenge one of the bottom 5 people to move into the rankings.

This one requires a rather active scene, and spots can/should be lost for non-attendance.

Also, there's a chance I'll show up real late if you guys are smashing tonight. Groupchat me.

Last edited:

NinKenDo64

Smash Apprentice
@ MasterIcarus7 (SHADE) MasterIcarus7 (SHADE) I like your passion kid. Not many folks would wanna put actual time into something like rankings. (especially with AL cuz it's been kinda iffy lately)
But there's an obvious lack in experience with your rational when it comes to this stuff, which isn't too much of a problem. Just takes time. You're fairly new to this scene so stick around and try not to tick anyone off too much. Mostly everyone in AL smash is pretty cool and will give good suggestions if you're willing to listen.

NNID
MasterIcarus7
@ MasterIcarus7 (SHADE) MasterIcarus7 (SHADE) I like your passion kid. Not many folks would wanna put actual time into something like rankings. (especially with AL cuz it's been kinda iffy lately)
But there's an obvious lack in experience with your rational when it comes to this stuff, which isn't too much of a problem. Just takes time. You're fairly new to this scene so stick around and try not to tick anyone off too much. Mostly everyone in AL smash is pretty cool and will give good suggestions if you're willing to listen.
Thanks, I'll be sure to listen. Only three people in my crew have been to actual tournaments, so yeah, we don't have a lot of experience. I have met some new people (and old, @Keet ), and most of them have been pretty cool. So about the suggestions thing, does anyone know where I can get a venue to host an event in Hoover?

Child Star

Smash Ace
Thanks, I'll be sure to listen. Only three people in my crew have been to actual tournaments, so yeah, we don't have a lot of experience. I have met some new people (and old, @Keet ), and most of them have been pretty cool. So about the suggestions thing, does anyone know where I can get a venue to host an event in Hoover?
churches and gaming stores are usually cool, gaming stores will usually want some cut, so expect a venue fee. Youre a little young so it may be hard to have people trust you with that kind of responsibility.

That sick mall in hoover has that arcade thats got like 3 different rooms, maybe theyd be interested.

Last edited:
Top Bottom