• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Will_

Smash Journeyman
That pic of Bang is disturbing.

Also, I'm maining Hsien-Ko/Wesker/Amaterasu(might try to throw Haggar in there somewhere) in MVC3, which comes out in
FIVE
****ING
DAYS

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
So I notice that Matt4300 is finally online on the Xbox.

I call him a f*ggot.

Turns out it was his brother.

I call him a f*ggot.

My Duke Nukem gamer picture signifies my authority.
I would appreciate it if you didn't use that word.

It's not nice.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771

Also, I'm maining Hsien-Ko/Wesker/Amaterasu(might try to throw Haggar in there somewhere) in MVC3, which comes out in
FIVE
****ING
DAYS
I'm gonna give Tron/Wesker/Haggar a shot. I sort of like Taskmaster, too.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
ill smash this weekend. idk maybe ill be broke though. im going to the atlanta aquarium today. has anyone been there?

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
duchok educate me! does ***ggggot have some historic derigotory meaning like niggeeer does?
or does it just make gays buthurt (no pun intended!!!!)

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314

FIVE
****ING
DAYS
Hilarious. I've been wanting to run Hsien-Ko/Amaterasu/Doctor Doom.

Playover in Ensley is trying to get monthly fighting game tournaments started. They'll be having one on the 19th. It's got MvC3, SSFIV, BBCS, T6, etc. Now do I go to SALT or an Ensley tournament?

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Playover in Ensley is trying to get monthly fighting game tournaments started. They'll be having one on the 19th. It's got MvC3, SSFIV, BBCS, T6, etc. Now do I go to SALT or an Ensley tournament?
After the last tournament where the owner decided to "take a day off" on the day of a scheduled tournament, I suspect few people will ever want to go there.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
Hilarious. I've been wanting to run Hsien-Ko/Amaterasu/Doctor Doom.

Trick question. You should come down to Tuscaloosa for Kami-con!!!

(winnar will probably be here :3)

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i know i'm going to play vjoe in mvc3 he looks similar to tvc, and i played him in that.. other than that i dunno
ima big fan of hsien ko as a character, but i'm not to familiar with her playstyle. i wanted to try out Chris as well.

is rogue in this game?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
f#ggot, like many slurs and offensive names are products of language evolution with inconclusive origins. I mean you hear like 10 different stories as for the origin of the word.

n*gger has a more-or-less known origin, and in contrast to other slurs, there's a concrete reason WHY its offensive, rather than it just BEING offensive because someone wanted it to be.

i dislike the idea of words having power apart from the people behind them.

but that's the world we live in. We don't mind racisim, sexism, homophobia...but specific words are a no-no. somehow F*ggot is worse than fairy, and "n*gger" is worse than c0on. even though they both imply the exact same thing.

WHATEVS

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
f#ggot, like many slurs and offensive names are products of language evolution with inconclusive origins. I mean you hear like 10 different stories as for the origin of the word.

n*gger has a more-or-less known origin, and in contrast to other slurs, there's a concrete reason WHY its offensive, rather than it just BEING offensive because someone wanted it to be.

i dislike the idea of words having power apart from the people behind them.

but that's the world we live in. We don't mind racisim, sexism, homophobia...but specific words are a no-no. somehow F*ggot is worse than fairy, and "n*gger" is worse than c0on. even though they both imply the exact same thing.

WHATEVS
It doesn't matter what the origins of the word is. It's the fact that it is used time and time again in abusive manners in modern times. Like the shouts thrown at queer people being gay bashed in bars, for instance. Or time and time again in high schools. We take offense when the word is used because, whether they intend it or not, it brings back those images. They can not be removed from another. And saying the word only helps popularize its use further.

More importantly, it's also a matter of not having "taken back the word". Lesbians have done it with ****, LGBT community at large has done it with queer, and African Americans have taken their word back (more or less; at the very least, the context has become essential now [c.f. the **** that's going down at UA right now]). F#g, however, has not. It remains a sensitive issue for pretty much any queer person. Case in point, it's at its worse when you go around saying it to people who aren't on the same page as you (like whatshisname's brother [I'm slightly assuming here]). He could very well be gay. You don't know. He might not know. Either way, it reinforces the idea that it's acceptable to say that word, and he might not care to think about who he's saying it to when he does (despite whatever intentions you had by saying it).

And I personally don't tolerate any racism, homophobia, etc etc. Which is why I say things when people do stupid **** here.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
It's too ingrained in society.

It's as a completely different definition in which neither I nor any other person should think of homosexuality first when someone says, "That's gay." It's a synonym for dumb. It's has nothing to do with sexual orientation despite the word.

Origin of the word most certainly does matter, as does evolution. I would never say the N-word because I know it has always been a derogatory term (somewhat exception being said in camaraderie, ie. "Muh ***,"), but it's not my place to use it and society as a whole hasn't embraced any new definition for it nearly as wholly as 'gay.'

It's still too ingrained in society and I, myself, haven't seen it used as it's intended slur. Maybe you have, but the word has evolved to an entirely different definition.

It's not homophobia or intolerance. It's just a new word.

j00t

Smash Champion
How about you just respect other people's feelings when they ask you to not use that word? I still have problems with saying it but I know how people feel and I'm really trying not to say it anymore. But it's really easy to not type it into a forum post.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Trick question. You should come down to Tuscaloosa for Kami-con!!!

(winnar will probably be here :3)
The truth!

I will possibly be doing homestuck cosplay because it's super easy haha

How about you just respect other people's feelings when they ask you to not use that word? I still have problems with saying it but I know how people feel and I'm really trying not to say it anymore. But it's really easy to not type it into a forum post.
This 10000x

mslano

Smash Journeyman
I've learned recently that Bruce Wayne's birthday is February 19th. A friend of mine told me this in explaining her plans to celebrate. How is she celebrating? She's making Bat Cookies.

She works as a baker has a website devoted to making various treats and shipping them out to people who order them. So, if you want some delicious Bat Cookies for Bruce Wayne's birthday, go here: http://galensgoodies.wordpress.com/ and order a batch. She's good people, I can vouch for that, and she's an excellent baker, so do the right thing and get yourself some cookies!

Top Bottom