• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Akron University 4/23 brawl

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
Brawl tournament to be held at the university of Akron student union.
Time: 6:30 P.M.
1v1 double elimination
Entry Fee: $5
Neutral stages: Final D, Battlefield, smashville, lylat cruise, yoshi's book.
Counter-picks: To be determined... (nothing stupid pretty much)

We already have at the very least 6 confirmed, probably about 12-14 players will be from the school.

Prizes: First place 60% Second place 30% Third place 10%
(other prizes awarded for last place, funniest death, bob killer etc..)
parking is available in the visitor parking lot located at

248 E. Buchtel Ave
Akron, OH, 44325

parking is a dollar an hour with a 5 hour limit (which may be a problem...)

Parking is also available at parking meters around campus but these mostly have 1-2 hour limits...

Other arrangements for parking should be available upon request
(parking at my friend's house and carpooling)

There are currently 5 wii's confirmed and 5 TVs, (one of the TVs is LCD and undesirable)

If someone could bring a smaller TV and a wii, it'd be appreciated.

Brawl tournies (as I recently learned) can take a long time to run. We hope that with a turnout of about 20 people that it should be done in about 3 hours. Registration will be from 3 P.M. or 5:30 P.M. depending when the tournament starts. During this time will be friendlies and possibly MMs if desired probably some time after the tourney for more friendlies and MMs.

Rules subject to change, if you have any questions or comments post here or PM me.

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
Maybe... A definite time would be nice... If it's early I might not be able to come... I'll see if I can get my crew interested... It'd be like the first step for some of them, I guess...

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
We're trying to lean towards the 6:30 time slot. This would probably be a good tourney for your crew to start with too considering as how my "crew" has been in very few tournaments and usually don't do too well. I'm trying to get at least a couple good tourney players though.

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
My crew is still in disarray at the moment (I mean I practically just started it), and I feel that if I do not go then there may be a bit of drop off in our attendance... Please try to get the 6:30 time slot... That may be the only time I can come...

I definitely think this would be a great experience for my crew so they can get their feet wet in tournament style play... I'm trying to drum up interest and provide transport for this tourney among my crew...

Impp

Smash Ace
Oh... It's a wednesday. I'm like 15 minutes from there. I'll be able to make it. If it's at 6:00, I can bring people.

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
So 6:30 is finalized now? You should see me there then... I'll also be bringing some of my crew with me it sounds like...

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
yes, 6:30 is the confirmed time. Registration and friendlies in both brawl and melee will be from 5 P.M. to 6:30 P.M.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I will most likely come. I will still be in school, but it shouldn't be much of a problem (cause I'm smart and don't really need to study much if at all). The only thing that may keep me from coming would be a sudden onslaught of homework (I doubt it, most of my teachers assign homework over time and have it all due at once, so I can do it ahead of time/procrastinate). Also, I will bring a TV/Wii if I come (The same TV/Wii that was on the far right at the ESCAPE tourney).

I would really like to play melee more, but brawl is ok I guess... There's always friendlies, and it sounds like there are lots of n00bs fresh for the picking. :)

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
It's on wednesday cause we're all there already and people are goin to other tournies saturday and wouldn't come to ours if we put it on saturday.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
I can place you at the bottom of the bracket and hold off your match till you get here. Shouldn't be that difficult considering how long brawl tournies take.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I may be bringing a friend. Lol, two high-school sophomores coming to a tourney which will probably consist of mostly college students.

It turns out that due to a crazy coincidence my mom has to go to Cleveland that same day. Would it be ok if she dropped me off on the way there (around 3:30, which is preferable because I don't want to have to sit in Cleveland doing nothing) or on the way back(4:45-5)? Is there a place where I could sit and play friendlies and stuff from that time until the thing starts? Would there be someone to play against in the event that my friend can't come?

EDIT: I noticed you edited in the thing about the student union in the first post, the following question is no longer relevant (May I ask what the venue is? I mean is it inside the college or in a building nearby or a dorm or what? I don't know much about college campuses, only being in high school myself.)

Sorry about asking so many questions.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
To answer your questions, Yes people will be there around 3:30. I should probably be there around 3:30 (probably wearing a sonic shirt) and there will be friendlies going on that early. The event is taking place on the bottom level of the student union next to the bowling alley and the pool tables is a small area with TVs that we set up the wiis on. The student union is on campus and it's pretty much a building with like food and places to sit and stores and rooms and stuff. If you're getting dropped off, I would have them drop you off in the circle turnaround in front of the student union.
Also, don't worry about only being in high school, there's a high school on campus and a couple kids hang out there after school and such. Occasionally little kids come in too and we let them "destroy" us at brawl till their parents show up.

sharkboy013

Smash Lord
I plan to be here, but thats because I'm part of this crew already. I'll have someone coming up with me while I go to my classes on wednesday too, he'll just hang out and play warcrack while I go to class.

I may be bringing a friend. Lol, two high-school sophomores coming to a tourney which will probably consist of mostly college students.
When I went to my first melee tourney I was still a Junior in HS. Don't feel so bad. And some of the guys up north were like.. freshmen or younger when they started playing melee IIRC. And some of us act like we're still high school kids anyways.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I think that you guys mistake my point. I'm not nervous about being the youngest one there. At MELEE-FCD my doubles partner (whom I had never met before the tournament) was finished with high school, and I had only just finished my freshman year. We talked to each other like there was no age gap at all. I have no problem with being the youngest in a group.

what I really meant to say was:

Lol, two high-school sophomores coming to a tourney which will probably consist of mostly college students, who will be beating most of them.

I just didn't because I didn't want to sound so pretentious. Also, saying something like that would kind of suck if I ended up not being as good as I think I am...

sharkboy013

Smash Lord
Lol, two high-school sophomores coming to a tourney which will probably consist of mostly college students, who will be beating most of them.
Relax, some of the best players in melee were 14 or 15 when they began their reign, if I remember correctly. At least the Ohioan ones. Vidjo is one I know for certain.

MasMos

Smash Rookie
Anybody on this thread interested in setting up double MM's before or after the tourney...? Random or crew matches...? Doesn't matter:chuckle:...

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
Ok, we set up fliers around the student union as well. 6:30 is now the confirmed time and if you are going to be a little late, just send me a P.M. I'll make sure to place you as one of the last matches and hold off your match until you arrive. My wii is still not back from being repaired and I forgot my cousin hasn't unlocked everything on his wii... However, we should still have 4-5 wiis available. There is an LCD dispaly that is rather annoying because of the lag. There are also more TVs available in the pool room if need be.

Hope to see you guys there tommorow.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
Sorry for the double post but this is important. Someone from Akron U came down to the game room and said we couldn't have the tournament. I'm still going to attempt to hold it there and if there are any problems we can move the tournament to my house. As long as everyone stays quiet about actually holding a tournament it really shouldn't be a problem. We can simply tell them we are playing friendlies matches for no money and that the tournament was "cancelled"

If worst comes to worst, as I said we can move it to my house which is about 10 minutes off campus. I'll keep you guys updated on here.

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
I don't understand what that's all about... They had one here at Kent State a few weeks ago, and there were no problems with anyone from the University... :/

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
We also had one at Akron U a couple weeks ago with absolutely no problems. I didn't necessarily get the game room manager's approval, however he said today that the main problem was the fact that I was making people pay money to get into the tourney.

I'm just going to go there tomorrow with my Sonic shirt and any other Sonic stuff I happen to have (I'll stick out like a sore thumb) and if you want in the tournament just give me 5 bucks and if anyone asks you "owed me the money"

I'm fairly certain someone will come and try to stop us around when the tourney starts and we'll all simply say that the tournament was "cancelled" and we're all just having friendly matches. I don't foresee any major problems.

sharkboy013

Smash Lord
And if for some reason he isn't there, ask any of the other guys most likely piling around the many Wii's that will probably be around the game room.

Oh wait.. thats probably anyone.. XD

I'm wearing my Iobject shirt tomorrow, so I can direct you to Mr. Gallagher when I get there around 2 tomorrow.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
Nice plan, lol.

anyway, My friend can't come (tennis), and my Wii just broke (the fan is broken, so it automaticaly shuts off after about 20-30 mins from overheating. There's also a terrible grinding noise. It broke after my sister and brother both accidentally dropped from a 1 meter height onto my basement's cement floor >.<) So, I'm just going to bring a TV. (Like I said, it's the one from the far right at the ESCAPE tourney)

Also, the L-button on the controller I've used for all tournies up till now is done. Now I have "getting used to a new controller" johns, lol. Just kidding, I'll try not to complain.

Impp

Smash Ace
My friend and I will be there right around 6:30, so just put Steve and me in the brackets, and we'll pay when we get there, if we end up being a little late.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
ok impp, just try to pay me indescretely considering as how they're being jerks about it. We're also short ANOTHER wii but we have 1 or 2 less people than I thought. I'm estimating around 10-15 people

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
I can probably throw my Wii in the trunk of my car in case ya need it... However, the C-stick acts weird on most of my controllers (and I'll be using my WaveBird which is the only one that I know works 100% of the time)...

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
Thanks everyone for coming. Really good turnout. I apologize for the university being pricks about it but at least there wasn't an incident. I also apologize for the strangeness of the brackets, a 19 man tournament can get very confusing. Next time I'm going to use some computer software to make things easier. As far as the places went it was.

1st Impp
2nd Ithrowthings
3rd deadringers
4th Masmos
5th sharkboy013
6th Alex
7th Kyle
8th Zareidriel
9th Matt
10th Dan
11th Jordan
12th ArgentStew
13th Izzy
14th Brian
15th Joe
16th slartibartfast42
17th Coheed
18th Drew
19th Kevin

I may possible hold another tournament after finals, (Mid-May) I'm still deciding on the location of the tournament. Hope to see you guys at smashtastrophe 2!

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
I'd have done better if I was having a good day... I knew Impp was gonna win this... If only I kept the momentum on my side in my third game against him... At least I know where I need to improve now...

By the way, din = Dan... I don't know how that happened...

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
What's the guy's name that played Lucario, was 21, played his PSP, liked pokemon cards, wore a black shirt, etc. I wanna know what place he came in, he beat me so if he did good then I look better, lol.

EDIT: If you have another tourney, I would like it to be on a weekend so that you can include a melee side tourney, cause right now the meta-game for that is a lot more advanced making the game more fun, IMO. >.> <.<

sharkboy013

Smash Lord
What's the guy's name that played Lucario, was 21, played his PSP, liked pokemon cards, wore a black shirt, etc. I wanna know what place he came in, he beat me so if he did good then I look better, lol.
That would be me. I play Diddy and Lucario, come on now, give me more credit than that.. -.-

And I should have played some Trainer yesterday, I don't know why I didn't at least try him once in a while.

Andy: I'll see if TOM can run double elim brackets. It might only work for Pokemon, but I can see what I can do.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
Nice, so I don't really suck after all.

My 16th place is really deceptive. I lost to Masmos(4th) and sharkboy013(5th), and won one match out of the set against each person. That means that I could theoretically have been able to place in 6th... Probably not, but I'm kinda annoyed at my bad luck. I also lost a lot of friendlies to Ithrowthings. Seeing that all 3 of the people that were beating me ended up in the top 5 makes me happy, my confidence in my ability to play Brawl is not completely shattered. :)

BTW, those who are curious, the characters used by the top five (at least in the matches I saw) were:

Impp - Zelda/Sheik
Ithrowthings - Sonic
deadringers - ??? (could someone tell me, I'm not sure who he played)
Masmos - Snake/Ness
sharkboy013 - Lucario/Diddy

Note: The character listed first is the one they used more often/I thought that they were better with.

sharkboy013

Smash Lord
IIRC, Impp was playing Kirby against Eric(Deadringers).

Eric mains Falco, but I've seen him use Pikachu, and he used Fox against me in our match.

My C-stick also got owned before a lot of my matches, which sucked butt.. Though I'm proud to have almost come back from a 2 stock deficit against you in that first round without it, Slart.

Top Bottom