• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

aite guys lets be real here

DrkRoxas

Smash Apprentice
I think it's safe to say that a very big bunch. Melee keeps on drawing the attention of a big number of people over time. I think the biggest downside to community growing in melee is that due to the game being that old, it's hard for someone to discover melee on their own, when you see new people on the scene is very likely that they got started on melee thanks to a friend who was already playing.
Aside from that at least here in Venezuela we're expanding as much as we can.

007-jake

Smash Journeyman
Well me and my friend joined the competitive scene about 2 years ago. Since then, i've seen maybe like 3 or 4 other new players in our small community join the scene. I've also seen 2 or 3 go...But people do continue to join the scene at any rate, which is awesome.

Massive

Smash Champion
My crew has seen 2 regular new players added this year, as well an additional 4-5 occasional players.

Not too bad, really.

This is still less than the Halcyon Days of melee, but it's still far better than it has been in a while.

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
Well there is me and my 2 friends who play smash with me.

I have some other interested players that could be hitching along for the ride.

I really like this thread. No sarcasm

Xenophon

Smash Rookie
at imdb 8 (madison tourney) there were at least 3-4 new players
Well don't go expecting John to be sticking around the melee scene; he got rather frustrated to learn how good everyone there was, but I'll for sure be here for a couple years.

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
I didn't start going to tournaments until this past October and there's another guy in my area who just joined the competitive scene too. Smash is livin' son.

Comatose

Smash Apprentice
I've got a group of 4 (myself included) who are relatively new. Started competitively around 6months. And another 4 in the group who just play casually with us (but we're trying to get them to come to a tourney with us, so they see how much fun it is and play competitively :p)

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
I found a couple of relatively new players in my area. In terms of the competitive scene, I'm kind of new as well (went to my first tourney this year, although I've been failing in the shadows for years).

Engo

Smash Ace
john's a *****
What's with this new phenomenon of players becoming frustrated/scared and instantly quitting when finding out how good people are? I swear at my first tourney seeing how good people were was super exciting and motivating. I'm sure a lot of my friends I play with felt the same.

Bones0

Smash Legend
What's with this new phenomenon of players becoming frustrated/scared and instantly quitting when finding out how good people are? I swear at my first tourney seeing how good people were was super exciting and motivating. I'm sure a lot of my friends I play with felt the same.
Games these days are all designed to coddle gamers to make them feel warm and special inside with absolutely no effort required. The general attitude seems to be "Why would I spend hours, months, even years practicing Melee to only ever amount to mediocrity whem I can play CoD and pwn prepubescent boys after just one prestige?"

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Bones, you're becoming nostalgic in your old age. There are still many successful, difficult games being released in the current gaming climate, just as there were many games designed to "coddle" a decade ago at the time of Melee's release.

Cummings

Smash Apprentice
Ledyard, CT (Right next to Foxwoods/Mohegan Sun)
Bones, you're becoming nostalgic in your old age. There are still many successful, difficult games being released in the current gaming climate, just as there were many games designed to "coddle" a decade ago at the time of Melee's release.
[citation needed]
I can literally only think of Dark Souls. Games that are designed to be competitive do not count simply because the pros are so much better than the average player.
Nowadays games are more about the adventure, what with all our fancy graphics and worlds, so developers don't really want to challenge players as often gameplay wise. and with the emphasis on DLC, having players not ragequit a game is an integral part of business strategies.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Not sure you can call it nostalgia seeing as how I still play Melee... I'm also pretty sure I'd be pouring hours into H1 or H2 if people still played and they didn't take it offline. What new games are you talking about? Even if there are any difficult games, they certainly aren't mainstream. The only competitive games I know of that are popular are StarCraft and traditional fighters. Even the trad fighters is questionable because as far as I can tell the FGC is pretty unhappy with the overall competitiveness of the newer sequels to games like MvC and SF. Even series with pretty high competitiveness still see a decline, just not as sharply as Melee to barlw.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
You can count me in as new. The hype around the evo drive and finding people to play with brought me into the game.

PhantasyStar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyebre
3DS FC
1521-4107-6959
I'm new as with a friend of mine to the scene (we've been apart of competitive smash for just about a year) and i'm trying to get more people in on it by hosting tournaments at libraries and making a competitive smash Tumblr page (no tumblr johns plz) .

JeezImSoBored

Smash Apprentice
I'm new as with a friend of mine to the scene (we've been apart of competitive smash for just about a year) and i'm trying to get more people in on it by hosting tournaments at libraries and making a competitive smash Tumblr page (no tumblr johns plz) .
im more surprised that u are allowed to host tournaments IN THE LIBRARY (?)

EbAgItachi

Smash Cadet
Not sure you can call it nostalgia seeing as how I still play Melee... I'm also pretty sure I'd be pouring hours into H1 or H2 if people still played and they didn't take it offline. What new games are you talking about? Even if there are any difficult games, they certainly aren't mainstream. The only competitive games I know of that are popular are StarCraft and traditional fighters. Even the trad fighters is questionable because as far as I can tell the FGC is pretty unhappy with the overall competitiveness of the newer sequels to games like MvC and SF. Even series with pretty high competitiveness still see a decline, just not as sharply as Melee to barlw.
I'm curious, how competitively did you play H2/what was your GTag, if I may ask(it would be pretty cool if it turns out we've played each other)? Did you go to any MLG events before H3 was released? Melee is the only thing that could possibly fill the void in my soul after H2 was taken offline lol.

Regarding the OP, down here I think we've seen like 3-4 people start playing seriously in the last year. Considering that no one has left or all together stopped playing, I'd say that's pretty good. I'm looking forward to how EVO will impact community growth.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'm curious, how competitively did you play H2/what was your GTag, if I may ask(it would be pretty cool if it turns out we've played each other)? Did you go to any MLG events before H3 was released? Melee is the only thing that could possibly fill the void in my soul after H2 was taken offline lol.

Regarding the OP, down here I think we've seen like 3-4 people start playing seriously in the last year. Considering that no one has left or all together stopped playing, I'd say that's pretty good. I'm looking forward to how EVO will impact community growth.
I unfortunately didn't get an Xbox until like late '06, early '07, but I had watched competitive Halo like a year before I actually started playing. lol My tag was Ender. I played a LOT of H3, but I regretted it a lot because I was just frustrated with the BR and slow movement most of the time. I moved on to Reach and the only MLG event I went to was the Reach D.C. one. I forget exactly what round my team got to, but we had never actually practiced anyway. We were discussing where we were supposed to go at the beginning of each game and that was about it. lol The best part of the event was some Pros meet Ams thing I did. They had four pros coaching two (completely random) teams against each other, and my team's coach that was watching me was Ogre 1. First match was Sanctuary TS and I got the snipe, and I LITERALLY headshotted 5-7 kids in a row without missing a bullet, and each time I did the "WHOOO!" that Final Boss used to do when they were destroying people. My whole team did awful, but I straight up carried going something like 23-4 so we won. I actually scanned the evaluation card they gave us afterwards ("First Strike!" was in reference to the very first snipe I had on Sanc which was a really ridiculous pick on some guy at their snipe/R2).

Not gonna lie, I was pretty salty I only got a B+ in decision making. Okay, I'm done bragging. :awesome:

EbAgItachi

Smash Cadet
I unfortunately didn't get an Xbox until like late '06, early '07, but I had watched competitive Halo like a year before I actually started playing. lol My tag was Ender. I played a LOT of H3, but I regretted it a lot because I was just frustrated with the BR and slow movement most of the time. I moved on to Reach and the only MLG event I went to was the Reach D.C. one. I forget exactly what round my team got to, but we had never actually practiced anyway. We were discussing where we were supposed to go at the beginning of each game and that was about it. lol The best part of the event was some Pros meet Ams thing I did. They had four pros coaching two (completely random) teams against each other, and my team's coach that was watching me was Ogre 1. First match was Sanctuary TS and I got the snipe, and I LITERALLY headshotted 5-7 kids in a row without missing a bullet, and each time I did the "WHOOO!" that Final Boss used to do when they were destroying people. My whole team did awful, but I straight up carried going something like 23-4 so we won. I actually scanned the evaluation card they gave us afterwards ("First Strike!" was in reference to the very first snipe I had on Sanc which was a really ridiculous pick on some guy at their snipe/R2).

Not gonna lie, I was pretty salty I only got a B+ in decision making. Okay, I'm done bragging. :awesome:
You got a B+ for deciding to die four times. You should be ashamed of yourself.

DaTalkingFrog

Smash Rookie
Well I used to play a lot back in the around 2005-2007 but I stopped for a while. I just returned to actually playing this year, although even during my hiatus I was kind of keeping up with streamed videos and the occasional Smashboards and /r/smashbros lurking though.

It was weird because when I left all the hype was around Ken, PC Chris, and Mew2King. When I came back the only people I recognized were Mew2King and Mango, and the "new" (to me at least) top players like Armada, Dr. PP, and Hungrybox were just mindblowing to me.

Well actually, the entire metagame was completely different and it felt like my Fox and Marth were old men. A Peach leading the top? Marth and Fox not being seen as far in the lead anymore? The way the game has developed over the years has truly amazed me!

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
...Just waiting for that random Laotian Pichu player to really turn the community on it's head.

I've got 2 friends or so into Melee this past year. Not tourny-competitive, but still trying-to-learn-how-to-win competitive.

Top Bottom