• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

aish's edmonton brawl monthlies - over

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
See Carl's cool, he appreciates that brawl sucks. But has no problem admitting that brawl sucks.
What makes Carl cool was that he gave it a chance without the "Brawl sucks" attitude or dragging things on. :p

He's the reason why I want to come around and play Melee. And his reasoning for playing Brawl is amusing. Like my reason for playing Melee. XD

Melee has Ganon in it. I'd play Melee for Ganon. ... ... That thing that's supposed to be called Ganondorf in Brawl doesn't count. He's only good for funny *** challenges and power walking. LOL

aish

Smash Journeyman
i still think that these somewhat small tourneys should be $5
Been thinking about that lately

Singles and doubles 5 dollars each low tier 2 dollars venue fee 5 dollars? :3

Oh there might not be low tier next tourney, my mom will be at america for that weekend so I have to bus back before gets too late~
Coliseum isn't a place i want to be at late night

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
@Brandon: Everyone gave Brawl a chance. I can't think of a melee player who was around the time brawl was released who didn't give it a shot.

The only people I can think of who didn't give it a chance at all is Sean and Randall.

T-block

B2B TST
most melee players didn't give brawl a chance actually

anyone willing to drive vania home so we can have low tier? ^^ i probably wont' be able to get a car this time.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Yeah they did lol, you weren't around yet though Mike.

I'm talking the first few months after the release. I'm pretty sure everyone was playing it at CT4 (except for Randall cause lol, and I was late or something iirc). ADAT1 was the same.

The thing is, the people who gave up brawl were the best brawl players at the time (Sid, Tyson, Brad etc.) Even then, the others were pretty legit at brawl and they too quite (Mike P, Carl etc.)

It wasn't that they gave up cause they didn't want to give it a "chance" cause I mean, really they did. They just quit cause they were bored, and with Melee right at your disposal, it's hard not to go back to it. I suppose its a type of bias since we all experienced how great melee is, its boring to play a quoteunquote "simpler" game.

ps. why is it that every time brandon posts, we get into melee vs brawl discussions

T-block

B2B TST
why is that every time vic posts about this he misses the point entirely

i'm sure most people today could easily play melee for two months and still feel frustrated and quit for brawl. would you call that giving melee a chance?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
grrrrr.

No one was frustrated with brawl, well not too the extent that you're insinuating. I was trying to get across the point that everyone was bored with brawl. I've talked to everyone and I keep getting the same response. It's just boring. There's a reason that the majority of the brawl players are newer smashers to the scene.

Its like starting up any hobby, doing well and eventually just straight up getting bored with it and quitting. I could see them quitting out of frustration if they were doing poorly as brawl players but that wasn't the case.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
@Jamie & Luke: My bad, I was referring to the melee players that did quit melee since that's who Brandon called out.

T-block

B2B TST
of those two months that these people played brawl i wonder how much of that time was spent honestly trying to learn the game and how much of it was spent going "lol this sucks compared to melee"

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I'm sure you dabble Mark, but yes.

Yeah Mike, it's hard for you to argue since you weren't there but we were all really into it. We all went into it with high hopes of it being the game we envisioned and we gave it as much of a chance as we could and wanted to. Why continue on with something you don't like?

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I came back to brawl and was pleasantly surprised. Giving it another chance allowed me to really enjoy a fun game. Maybe I am a special case but I am willing to bet I am not. Infact I know I am not cause Mark was the same way.

T-block

B2B TST
luke's case is basically what i'm getting at...i'm just not doing a very good job of sounding coherent atm

i'm not telling you to play a game you don't like. i only get into this crap when someone disses brawl without giving it an honest chance. although, i can't remember anyone doing that this time, so why are we arguing again ._.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
It's like that elephant in the corner that we ignore until the **** starts to smell too much so we have to throw it at eachother.

Solaris1110

Smash Journeyman
I used to be so hardcore into brawl lol, and used to think both games were equal etc etc. But I kinda slowly shifted to melee once cast4 happened, and now the only time I play brawl is at these monthlies. I think brawl does have uber depth, but it seems like it's all concentrated to one kind of thinking: the ability to predict your opponent's actions and patterns.

In melee, there are times when the amount of things happening at once is more than you can process, and this is when things get really fun, exciting and unpredictable. But this also means predicting you opponent is nearly impossible sometimes, as the information overload forces you to come up with stuff on the spot, instead of premeditating.

though there are the occasional moments in brawl where snake has an orgasm and someone ends up getting chained into 6 explosions before dying...

KillL0ck

Smash Ace
also i vouch no b4dansezno

also the venue fee 3 dolla? I like it better when I have a handy toonie with me, in this case i need a toonie AND a loonie

screw dat ****

Vitality

Smash Ace
also i vouch no b4dansezno

also the venue fee 3 dolla? I like it better when I have a handy toonie with me, in this case i need a toonie AND a loonie

screw dat ****
There's always the change machine near the venue so you can exchange your bills for coins for low tier :p

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I can see where everyone is coming from and it's reasonable, but what's 5 bucks? Monthlies still have hype to them, and that hype hasn't really died down any. Until the hype dies down it should stay a modest 10 instead of a cheap 5. Obviously coming from me this post doesn't count for much but my point does have some validity. Also for 2nd doubles only gets like 10 bucks, and honestly people can probably beat mark and I if they practice enough and third place (which pretty much everyone else has a chance at) will hardly get their money back. If there is less than 10 teams third place doesn't even make their money back, so 5 bucks is full of fail, just saying.

aish

Smash Journeyman
Uh I don't think you'll 'hardly get your money back'. So taking last tournaments results second place would have gotten maybe 30 something? but each person payed 5 so profit of 20 dollars. I really don't see how it's full of fail, i can only see it that way because greedy ****s get less money

T-block

B2B TST
Have you actually crunched the numbers? -_-

Last monthly, we had 12 teams, $20 entry per team. 3rd place got $24, so $2 profit for each member. If we took it down to $10 per team, 3rd place is looking to get $1 profit =\

EDIT: teehee

Alphicans

Smash Hero
It's the same profit percentage but it's cut down severely. I'd rather pay 20 and have a chance at 200 then pay 2 and have a chance at 20. I am sure most people would agree there.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Well if none of you are confident in beating either mark/me or Dan/jack, maybe we should split up the teams to keep this interesting. Point taken Mike btw (lol), but it still stands that 1st/2nd take heavy hits from price decrease.

EDIT: The more I think about it the more appealing this sounds:

10 dollars except random teams lol. Honestly that would be pretty bad ***.

Top Bottom