• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Airdodging....should it be tweaked/fixed?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I feel that air dodging has too great a reward with too little risk. and baiting just doesnt seem to pay off consistently. But I don't know how it could be done better. and melee is not what should brought back to as I hate how it puts into free fall and dumb physics exploit creates wavedashing.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
I think it should be a mix of both Melee and Smash 4 (Brawl's was too OP): a great defense to attacks, but only one. Once you've used it, you had this only choice. Now you must take everything by yourself. But no Helpless State, that's too hyperbolic. After the one Air-dodge, you can only attack on the air, and you will have Landing Lag from the Air Dodge.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I think it should be a mix of both Melee and Smash 4 (Brawl's was too OP): a great defense to attacks, but only one. Once you've used it, you had this only choice. Now you must take everything by yourself. But no Helpless State, that's too hyperbolic. After the one Air-dodge, you can only attack on the air, and you will have Landing Lag from the Air Dodge.
possibly maybe like ONE per jump. and I think the landing lag should be MASSIVE....cause I mean you can airdodge pretty close to the ground and not get lag cause it ended BEFORE you touched the ground.

ActionShot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Actionshot35
Yeah, I feel like having only one air dodge until you touch the ground again would be a great change. While spamming air dodge can be punished, it's too safe. I wouldn't want it to put you into a helpless state or have momentum like Melee, but limiting the amount of times you can do it while in the air would really help the risk/reward factor of air dodging.

Then again it would make being above Rosalina more of a nightmare...

SoBMudkip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ROBIN_HYPE
Just increase the landing lag. I think smart play will trump air dodge spamming any day.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
It's sort of a mixed bag for me. Being able to air dodge once is a good idea, but then characters who juggle extremely well become that much better, and those who have a hard time landing get punished even worse. At the same time though, people who spam it are annoyingly hard to kill, even with landing lag.

FightingPorygonTeam

Smash Apprentice
I would rather have a more versatile airdodge. The problem with this one is that the only thing you can do with it is adjust the timing. In my opinion it would be interesting if you could influence the length of your airdodge by holding the button longer (but then you have to wait longer before you can do another dodge and you have more landing lag). Another thing could be to make it similar to a shield with regards to how much air dodge you have left. Then if you dodge too much, you go into helpless mode or something like that.

There are many ways to make it more interesting (same with L-canceling in melee, but that's another topic).

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
People who think airdodging is broken fail to consider that an offensive landing (aerials) is sometimes more favorable than a defensive landing (airdodging). You have R.O.B., for example, whose fastfall Nair is much safer than a simple airdodge against much of the cast. Or the opponent could try to bait an airdodge out of you when they pop you up, only for you to smack them on the way down with a Dair or whatever. That's what Smash is all about, really; mix-ups, being unpredictable, catching your opponent by surprise. Doing the same thing over and over isn't going to get you anywhere in this game, and if you let your opponent get away with that, then that's your fault. Not to mention that airdodging fresh out of hitstun stalls your movement, making you more susceptible to a follow-up anyway. The landing lag from airdodging is massive as is and easily exploitable when it's overused to escape combos close to the ground, like the Mario Bros. Down Throw combos.
But hey, being a R.O.B. main myself (for now, anyway), I certainly wouldn't complain if they limited airdodging to just one use like in Melee. If anything, it would certainly make Up-Air juggling easier :laugh:

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I think air dodging is perfect here. Not as spammable as Brawl, not as pointless as Melee. A bad air dodge can cost you a stock, and a good air dodge can save you one.

Khao

Smash Lord
Airdodge is completely OP if you're a level 9 CPU.

Otherwise, they're fine.

If it was up to me, I would have made them so they weren't possible to do while in your tumbling animation, as a way to make follow ups a bit more feasible. But really they're fine as they are.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Melee's air dodge with no sliding from dodging into the ground.

Non-helpless airdodge is still way too safe for everyone's good even if it's limited to one. But at least without sliding, everyone can shut up about "exploiting physics".

(I still want wavedashing to be its own thing as a shoulder button+direction, though.)

GanonPawnch

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MLT117
I think you should still have multiple air dodges, just make the cooldown between air dodges longer so you can't spam them as quickly.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
I feel that air dodging has too great a reward with too little risk. and baiting just doesnt seem to pay off consistently. But I don't know how it could be done better. and melee is not what should brought back to as I hate how it puts into free fall and dumb physics exploit creates wavedashing.
Watch zero's stream, then you'll learn exactly why airdodging isn't that great.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Watch zero's stream, then you'll learn exactly why airdodging isn't that great.
Airdodging still kills the offstage game, though.

I mean, if Sakurai didn't like wavedashing, why not just take out the sliding from the air dodge instead of making this pile of dog doodoo?

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman

I mean, if Sakurai didn't like wavedashing, why not just take out the sliding from the air dodge instead of making this pile of dog doodoo?
You're assuming every change to airdodging was made strictly to stop wavedashing. A good player can read a player who always airdodges and it's as easy to punish as throwing out a lingering hitbox

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

Sakurai said the removal of Wavedashing was just a result of changing airdodges. Which was absolutely necessary with how useless they were for actual dodging.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I hated Melee airdodge. Only good thing from it was the unintentional wavedashing. Brawl was way too safe for airdodging. I think Smash 4 got it right. Maybe increase the endlag a tiny bit more.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Between the OP's idea of nerfing airdodge or just increasing hitstun I'd probably go with increasing hitstun first, though it's a close vote.

Being able to cancel the landing lag of an air dodge with a low lag aerial is dumb though.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
I don't think it should need any tweak
  1. Because tweaking an universal button is never a good idea balance-wise
  2. Because if everything that has "skewed risk/reward ratio" should get fixed it'll take less time to just learn to deal with them all
Aside from the fact that air dodging has everything but high reward for low risk, since in the best of the cases, where you have higher air speed than your opponent, you'll get away from opponent's range(and most likely lose a bunch of stage control) without any frame advantage unless they use something like warlock kick, and in the worst case they react to the airdodge and deliver a stronger blow than the one you failed to predict, for istance you get Ganondorf's Fair instead of his Uair, I'm not entirely sure but quite a bunche of high-powered move can be used to punish on reaction an air dodge.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Sakurai said the removal of Wavedashing was just a result of changing airdodges. Which was absolutely necessary with how useless they were for actual dodging.
Melee's airdodge was super useful for its intended use. You just have to use it to dodge spaced aerials as well as smashes instead of "hit L/R to win" with such a frequency that would make Boosting in Sonic Unleashed blush.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Melee's airdodge was super useful for its intended use. You just have to use it to dodge spaced aerials as well as smashes instead of "hit L/R to win" with such a frequency that would make Boosting in Sonic Unleashed blush.
Not really, no. It's more pathetic then rolls in SSB64. Sure, if you're near the ground it worked okay, but it's an airdodge. For example, imagine trying to dodge Pit's SSB4 arrows when you're above him with the old airdodge. You either take five arrows to the face, are Jigglypuff and eat one, or dodge and go into helplessness and eat a Smash attack.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Not really, no. It's more pathetic then rolls in SSB64. Sure, if you're near the ground it worked okay, but it's an airdodge. For example, imagine trying to dodge Pit's SSB4 arrows when you're above him with the old airdodge. You either take five arrows to the face, are Jigglypuff and eat one, or dodge and go into helplessness and eat a Smash attack.
I believe that was the point. It was not a get out of jail free card. It had to be used properly. IMO, if you get yourself in a bad situation like hovering over pit while he has his final smash out, I'd say you deserve some sort of punishment for it.

Sometimes if you make a big enough mistake, you should be taking a hit for it. There should be a tool to fix some mistakes, but IMO not all mistakes.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I believe that was the point. It was not a get out of jail free card. It had to be used properly. IMO, if you get yourself in a bad situation like hovering over pit while he has his final smash out, I'd say you deserve some sort of punishment for it.

Sometimes if you make a big enough mistake, you should be taking a hit for it. There should be a tool to fix some mistakes, but IMO not all mistakes.
Not his Final Smash, his default arrows. He could shoot 'em up since Brawl. Custom arrows turn even sharper. You see, this isn't an issue in PM because his Brawl arrows don't turn as sharply.

The problem with the Melee airdodge is that it's designed for a different game, namely how everybody falls so fast. It works well enough when everybody drops like rocks, but when it's that much easier to line up aerials then people would see how weak the Melee airdodge really is. Pit in SSB4 physics could beat out a Melee airdodge every single time.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Not his Final Smash, his default arrows. He could shoot 'em up since Brawl. Custom arrows turn even sharper. You see, this isn't an issue in PM because his Brawl arrows don't turn as sharply.

The problem with the Melee airdodge is that it's designed for a different game, namely how everybody falls so fast. It works well enough when everybody drops like rocks, but when it's that much easier to line up aerials then people would see how weak the Melee airdodge really is. Pit in SSB4 physics could beat out a Melee airdodge every single time.
Then the "stall" should've been made longer. That would've compensated for the game being slower.

D

Deleted member

Beautiful. That is a perfect way of keeping it how it is now without gimping it too much whilst also balancing it's potency.

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
It's sort of a mixed bag for me. Being able to air dodge once is a good idea, but then characters who juggle extremely well become that much better, and those who have a hard time landing get punished even worse. At the same time though, people who spam it are annoyingly hard to kill, even with landing lag.
This. When I play Samus and Shulk especially, characters like Diddy and Mario are hell.

Frankly if you find someone airdodging a lot, bait it out but stay below a safe distance, then react and punish their nervousness. I've never had a problem with it. Rolling however...

D

Deleted member 269706

I don't have a problem with multiple airdodges in the air, I have a problem with multiple airdodges being used to rapidly. I think an air dodge should be followed by like 15-20 frames of idle movement and ignored inputs just to allow those who bait them more time to actually punish them. Plus it would increase the landing lag which is something we all seem to agree on. Either way, I just hope there's some nerf to the shielding/dodging mechanics in general.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quillion

Smash Hero
...Wouldn't that just make 'em even worse or am I missing something?
Well, you know how when you go into Special Smash mode and you pick Lightning mode so that everyone's faster? But when you actually play the game everyone feels heavier? And when you play Slow-mo mode so that everyone's slower, everyone feels a lot floatier?

Same principle.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well, you know how when you go into Special Smash mode and you pick Lightning mode so that everyone's faster? But when you actually play the game everyone feels heavier? And when you play Slow-mo mode so that everyone's slower, everyone feels a lot floatier?

Same principle.
...Your logic doesn't make a lick of sense. You want to add in the crappy Melee airdodge and make it even crappier in a game where all the good characters have great Uairs. It becomes less "bait airdodge" and more "everybody is Little Mac in the air" and now there's virtually no depth in gameplay above the stage.

Quillion

Smash Hero
...Your logic doesn't make a lick of sense. You want to add in the crappy Melee airdodge and make it even crappier in a game where all the good characters have great Uairs. It becomes less "bait airdodge" and more "everybody is Little Mac in the air" and now there's virtually no depth in gameplay above the stage.
You said that Melee's air dodge only works because fall speeds are faster. If it were brought back and slowed down, that would compensate for Smash U's slower fall speeds.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
You said that Melee's air dodge only works because fall speeds are faster. If it were brought back and slowed down, that would compensate for Smash U's slower fall speeds.
If it were brought back and made slower you'd get nailed every single time you used it. It wouldn't work the way it is because of how pathetically easy it would be to punish due to how slow you fall. You need to make it faster to make it harder to punish. But at that point you might as well keep the game the way it is instead of rebalancing half the cast for what would ultimately be a minor change after it's made useful.

Nuhuh

Smash Rookie
If you read when people will air dodge or feel when they would, it becomes a mental game. You can easily punish people that instantly air dodge.

Quillion

Smash Hero
If you read when people will air dodge or feel when they would, it becomes a mental game. You can easily punish people that instantly air dodge.
But it's an annoying mental game. Defensive scrubs have no right to drag out the match against a better player by constantly rolling and air dodging.

Nuhuh

Smash Rookie
Most people that constantly air dodge have a pattern and stick to it. It's usually they'll air dodge right as you approach so just bait it and punish. Yes, it's not fair, but a good player can also adapt and notice the flaw in their air dodging tactics

Top Bottom