• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air Dash Online - A competitive platform fighter

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
models look pretty good. i have been playing xuandou zhiwang lately and this is sort of reminiscent since the artstyle will involve pretty obvious 3d models in a 2d plane as well.

i really like the xuandou zhiwang F2P model and the options it gives for playing, as well. hopefully ADO can do something similar.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
models look pretty good. i have been playing xuandou zhiwang lately and this is sort of reminiscent since the artstyle will involve pretty obvious 3d models in a 2d plane as well.
Aren't the characters in that game pre-rendered? The backdrops 2d?

There's nothing wrong that, of course. But I do think it benefits this type of game to go full 3d. You can give a sense of perspective to the backdrops without running into issues with the platforming.

JV5Chris

Smash Journeyman
Sorry I haven't been able to get around to answering questions yet. Been a busy week with E3 and all. Starting another stream right now, this time going over the brand new Dynamic Sky Lighting I've coded:

Thanks again to Clash Tournaments:

(Click Here to Watch Now!)

See everyone in the chat!

courte

Smash Lord
you guys said you're looking for feedback so... i'm bored working an overnight.

How many characters do you guys have waiting in the wings? the 5 that are there look cool, and i'm excited by the prospect of a game that draws influences from smash and other fighters. putting them in a melting pot would make a delicious stew. particularly because most moves get used for one reason or another[wanna use headbutt with taskmaster in umvc3? hope you've got some ridiculous setup]

it'd be great if it was done in the vein of melee, and i'm aware of the insanity of these next words, but please do not bring in l-canceling/wavedashing. think of it as such; that is really what made that game, melee, what it was. you don't see other street fighter games coming for the parry system after third strike. the system, mechanics and design bring enough to the table. i know you guys probably have something amazing in the works, but it's time to let that part go, just in case.

online + fighting is booty. it's fun, but it's booty for a real competitive feeling. especially with varying internet in america. i love the push but don't alienate gamers in general. i'll admit, i tried in smash i really did but i'm intermediate at best. and playing link doesn't help. however what was the greatest draw was the nintendo love and effort and attention to detail. a detailed co-op mode, user generated/single player content. a rich story that actually matters [even if you have to do walls of text] would all be dope. because for every 8 street fighter wack story 8 battle mode, there's a MK or Injustice. SSE was too damn long, and given the nature of smash to begin with, hard to stick with considering the cast. i think if you guys come out strong on that point, you'll be doing one thing right that is frequently overlooked.

i'm just offering feedback like you guys asked and these are my [jumbled] ideas. hell working with Mike Z as a consultant, and seeing what skullgirls is/has become is the cinderella story of the indie fighter done so right it hurts. i'll back that kickstarter day one if it's full to the brim of so much right.

JV5Chris

Smash Journeyman
Thank you courte. Work has been ramping up on the game lately so I'll try to be quick. Hopefully this answers a few other questions in the thread as well.

Maintaining the feel of Melee's competitive play is very important to us, but we also want to try a number of things with the design. That means there naturally will be changes, but we are not looking at it in terms of what to omit. Instead our approach is to experiment with what established techniques can be adapted and adjusted to compliment what is new and different.

I hear your concerns about online play. GGPO though, while not a substitute for local play, is certainly a step up from typical fighting game netcode. It is well worth pursuing in my opinion. As far as the additional content you've mentioned, I'm sure there would be an audience for it, but our hands are full with the core of the game.

Last, I have a ton of respect for MikeZ and the active role he's taken to help bring more indie fighters to fruition:).

courte

Smash Lord
Thank you courte. Work has been ramping up on the game lately so I'll try to be quick. Hopefully this answers a few other questions in the thread as well.

Maintaining the feel of Melee's competitive play is very important to us, but we also want to try a number of things with the design. That means there naturally will be changes, but we are not looking at it in terms of what to omit. Instead our approach is to experiment with what established techniques can be adapted and adjusted to compliment what is new and different.

I hear your concerns about online play. GGPO though, while not a substitute for local play, is certainly a step up from typical fighting game netcode. It is well worth pursuing in my opinion. As far as the additional content you've mentioned, I'm sure there would be an audience for it, but our hands are full with the core of the game.

Last, I have a ton of respect for MikeZ and the active role he's taken to help bring more indie fighters to fruition:).

this. all of this. loving it. I'll be following this closely and supporting this from day one. Hope to see more characters down the line and which ones will take inspirations from which other fighting game characters from other franchises. The results of looking outside of the box for this particular genre always leads to great ideas. A command grab character with dedicated grab moves would be great. Always found bowser on the screwed side of things. and things like DK's Pound being :ohwell: and nonexistent while airborne... i've got a weird faith you guys will knock something like that out of the park with which characters you make.

as a :linkmelee: player, i feel on the short end of the stick. getting things like TL in brawl and Taskmaster in MVC3 are great, but this would be the coup de grace. I don't know if you guys have one in the works, but i'm interested in seeing what comes next

JV5Chris

Smash Journeyman
How exactly did you go about teaming up with Mike Z?
I'm not exactly sure how we established MikeZ as a connection (before my time on the project), but he has played a role in the early stages by critiquing the design document and offering suggestions. When we're ready for a solid critique of the build, we will certainly be seeking his feedback again.

Moving on, today we posted our first screenshots of the early build we intend to bring to EVO!

Within the past few weeks we just transitioned to a new foundation. It's been a major step forward, but we still have quite a bit left to work out. What we show may be more of a proof of concept than a full fledged fighting game at this point, but we do hope you all will drop by and check it out. The gameplay is very malleable right now as well, so EVO is an excellent time to share your thoughts with us.

JV5Chris

Smash Journeyman
That stage is massive.
Certainly not the first person to have that reaction :). I've been doing a lot of rock sculpting lately, and only recently added them to the stage. That and atmospheric haze I programmed in there do a good job of pushing the scope.

The stage itself is somewhere in-between the size of FD and Battlefield. Close to Dracula's Castle for those of you familiar with Project M. This, along with everything you see, is subject to change.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Just noticed the rainbow effect at the edge of the sun reflecting on the floor of the stage. That's pretty nifty.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
oooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO That game is lookin sweet

Do you guys also have a motive to like, make the game feel the best using a Gamecube controller (using USB adapter)? Like having the C-stick function as it would in Melee/Brawl (if that's how aerials might work)? Like is the EVO demo just going to be two keyboards or USB adapted PS2 controllers or what

Yamer

Smash Journeyman
It is compatible with most usb devices. We have gc->usb adapters for smashers to use at EVO.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
I'm excited to see more alternate character skins. A Doc Brown style Tesla would be cool.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I may have said this before but the tiger guy never appealed to me, at least the version on the site. With that said even he looks better than any stupid LoL/Dota2 hero

Yamer

Smash Journeyman
I may have said this before but the tiger guy never appealed to me, at least the version on the site. With that said even he looks better than any stupid LoL/Dota2 hero
What types of characters do you find appealing?

SpiderMad

Smash Master
He's definitely not bad. You didn't make him into your average King/Bronze Tiger, and instead gave him a relatable side where he still appears to be a teen who's dedicated and has something to prove: which the other characters in the game kind of lack regarding his expression.
http://airdashonline.com/togun.html

It's just I thought for being the only male feline character, he would embody more than just the suggested potential to be speedy with his weapon. I thought he'd kind of take on more of the expression of Tesla or Spike from Cowboy Bebop: and he'd have the feline prowess to back it up in a stylish and stealthy way.
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs31/f/2008/197/f/6/Spike_render_by_DCush427.png

This is a weird picture from I don't know where, but the expression and face is close to what I was imagining. Did you guys ever try other feline ideas for Togun besides him as a tiger?

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Good luck at EVO guys. After all this Nintendo stream nonsense, I'm really hoping you pull through with an awesome example of what an indie Smash-like can do for the community here.

JV5Chris

Smash Journeyman
It's very depressing to see this happen, especially after everything this community has been through. What a crazy world we live in when Nintendo stonewalls their own game exposure and writes off many of their most dedicated and generous fans.

While this news may bring more attention to our game at the event, ultimately if it's not good for the Smash community, it's not a positive for us either. Time to turn that disappointment into motivation.

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
Just had a read of some of the info on ADO, and I'm VERY interested.... Excited to see what's next for this game!!!

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Will there be a stream showing ADO gameplay at EVO?

Crispy4001

Smash Ace

Link to the stream: http://www.twitch.tv/clashtournaments/b/429533388

Forewarning, it's very early. You'll hear them say a few minutes in that they've had late nights the past 4 days to get it presentable, and that they put the second character in the night before. So there's still a lot of work left to do on the animations, vfx, balance, mechanics... you get the idea.

The background isn't fully there in the vid (which was taken yesterday), because they were having performance trouble with some of the laptops. Looks like that was resolved today.

It does have wavedashing/wavelanding. No L-canceling, but you can apparently airdash out of air attacks on-hit.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Thank you guys for giving Tesla the knee! We have a champ!

When will the Kickstarter go up?

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Looks very strange in this stage of development. Can't wait to see a more polished build.

Also, is there any chance you guys will add in characters with unique mechanics? Like Olimar (Pikmin), Ice Climbers (2 chars in 1), Pokemon Trainer (Transformation/Switch-out), Lucario (Aura), Kirby (Copying), etc.

D

Deleted member

Hmm, it feels a lot like Melee from what I saw in that stream. A little too much (Wavedashing, Dash Dancing, Percentiles, etc...).

I'm interested to see how things will progress. Also, you mentioned you had problems with Shielding, why not just make it regular blocking like in SF, GG, etc...? I think it could add more options, especially for Mix ups and cross ups, more so that you'd have with the shield.

Also, how are you gonna have the attack inputs? For specials and stuff too.

Are you gonna do it like in Smash with two attack buttons that have 4 Directional inputs, with a standard set up for every character? Or will you play around with it a little and make it more diverse and have different special inputs for different characters?

Also, will you be adding Smash Attacks like in Smash, or will you add an extra attack button?

Oh, and the name, is that temporary? It's been bugging me for the longest time, but... It does nothing but remind me of that crappy anime from last year, please tell me you plan on changing it...

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Hmm, it feels a lot like Melee from what I saw in that stream. A little too much (Wavedashing, Dash Dancing, Percentiles, etc...).
Too much like Melee in that regard isn't a necessarily bad thing. I think it'd be more egregious if they weren't doing anything new on top of that. Or if they put L-canceling in, in the way Melee had it.

I'm not convinced about the shielding yet either. Looks very prototype-ish at this point. The air dash cancel concept has some potential though. Should change the air dynamic a lot relative to Melee.

V-K

Smash Ace
The footage I have seen looks to alphaish for me to have any kind of opinion on it.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
The air dash cancel concept has some potential though. Should change the air dynamic a lot relative to Melee.
One thing that came to mind is... do characters have 3 different recovery options now or do air dashes replace the double jump?

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
One thing that came to mind is... do characters have 3 different recovery options now or do air dashes replace the double jump?
Pretty sure that air dashes don't replace the double jump. You technically could use air dodges for recovery in Melee, just not grab the ledge in special fall. There's no special fall with the air dash here. So double jump -> air dash -> up-B is possible. Happens at 20:48.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
You only get one air dash though right? Like a double jump, I imagine it'd be the same the air cancels to continue a combo but not make insanely long combos that need to be balanced

Yamer

Smash Journeyman
Will Wobbles still be contributing to this game?

Yup, all of the character story is being written by him. He will likely help with design too.

I'm interested to see how things will progress. Also, you mentioned you had problems with Shielding, why not just make it regular blocking like in SF, GG, etc...? I think it could add more options, especially for Mix ups and cross ups, more so that you'd have with the shield.

Oh, and the name, is that temporary? It's been bugging me for the longest time, but... It does nothing but remind me of that crappy anime from last year, please tell me you plan on changing it...

The EVO build was geared to be more similar to melee than it will be in the future. We are considering a name change.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Yeah, Air Dash Online sounds very "project-ish" and not "full game-ish" enough. Ideally the name should be about the characters/story/world.

Top Bottom