• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aggro, read-oriented Marth play?

br3ad

Smash Rookie
So I'm fairly new to the comp scene in general, having only played Melee for about a year. Since the beginning, Marth has been my go-to character for his slick maneuverability and the little need for advanced tech skill. However, as I've improved, I feel as though my playstyle and Marth's moveset don't really mix. I'm particularly good at reading other players' moves but generally struggle with the combo after a couple of hits in a row. Plus, I'm incredibly aggressive and prefer not to wait for my opponent to mess up before I charge in. As a result, I sometimes overwhelm my friends when I play them, but am always toast against their pocket Sheiks and Foxes.

Should I keep playing as Marth or make my pocket Falcon my new main?

KevJames

Smash Apprentice
Regardless of whether you use Marth or Falco, you will have to change your playstyle depending on the opponent's playstyle and character matchup. There will be times that an aggressive approach won't always be beneficial. Aggression does not only mean playing on top of opponents and not giving them breathing room. It also involves pressuring opponents into spaces they are not comfortable in. The benefit of Marth and Falco (and many other top tiers) is that they can freely switch in between defensive and offensive playstyle, but still be aggressive.

Now, with what you've said, you struggle with the combo after a couple of hits in a row. This is where I feel Falco would not be a good fit for you. His combo game relies on following the opponent's DI and getting the most out of his combo. With smash DI being a more common tool among players, this will make it even harder for you to overwhelm your friends.

Marth, on the other hand, seems to fit your playstyle since you are good at reading other players. Marth's "waiting" game is amazing with an incredible wave-dash, dash-dance neutral game. Forcing opponents to make mistakes and making good reads is what Marth excels at, and I believe you should continue to work on him.

beetlebomber

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0662-3406-7424
Watch Mang0's Marth vs. Chillindude @ Pound V.5, vs. Hax @ BH4, and the entirety of the Mayhem Monthly from April. He is very aggressive with Marth.

At a glance, you can see he goes for a lot of unconvential throw mixups, like upthrow dair into tech chase. He is also aggressive off of the ledge (see Mang0 vs. Hugs @ Mayhem). He does some weird single hit nair grab things which might work I haven't tested it.

Marth is also perfectly capable of making Foxes and Sheiks mess up. Marth is fun to use and I use him pretty aggressively, but it just takes a little more work.

Top Bottom