• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aggressive Play in Sm4ash?

JustYuck

Big Tipper
So let me preface, I have never played Sm4sh and doubt I ever will competitively. BUT I have looked at picking it up as a fun little side thing because online for glory looks fun.

With that being said, Is aggressive play possible in Sm4sh? That is the biggest thing hindering my decision right now. I know the game is still just taking its baby steps on the competitive scene right now, but if I went out and bought a Wii U and Smash would I ever have any shot at aggressive play online?

Most of the play I have seen on a high level has been ultra conservative/Brawl like kind of stuff, but is there any chance we could see a player start winning tourneys playing the game like melee?

I am genuinely curious because thats the biggest question for me in deciding weather or not to buy it. Thanks.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Considering how ZeRo's Diddy is probably the most aggressive Diddy, then yes it is possible.
This being said, it really, really depends on who you use because everyone is definitely not decent at playing aggressively.
Diddy is excellent because of his mobility, general low startup/endlag, aerial command grab, and quite a few other things, but pretty much the only characters that really excel at this kind of play are Sheik, CF, and Fox (and maybe a few others).
I really wanted to pick up Charizard as a main, but I have to make so many hard reads that I end up not being able to really do much because I almost always put myself at risk of getting hit/grabbed, so my best option is to play very safe and pretty much only use jab or fair, and that's just not fun.

Taking that into consideration, you cannot make Smash 4 what you want it to be unless you pick a competent character.
It isn't necessarily a bad game, but outside of the upper echelon of characters, you'll find that defensive play is more than necessary to even begin to compete.
If you're totally cool with that, I encourage you to pick up a main that does what you want it to do and be awesome, but if you're seeking something that enables players to more freely choose their style of play perhaps at the cost of more dedication and practice, stick with Project M.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
The game is offense-oriented, though how aggressive you will likely play really depends on which character you choose to pick up. Characters such as Meta Knight and Captain Falcon benefit from getting in close and keeping up the pressure, while characters such as Duck Hunt and Olimar excel at playing a bit slower and waiting for the right time to strike.

If you want to play aggressively online, then that would be possible.

Anthuhny

Smash Cadet
Possible: yes
Ideal: not so much

against the typical for glory player aggressive play will be viable and since you're not worried about competitive then you should have a good time.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Aggressive is fine if you're smart about it.

Random765

Smash Cadet
So let me preface, I have never played Sm4sh and doubt I ever will competitively. BUT I have looked at picking it up as a fun little side thing because online for glory looks fun.

With that being said, Is aggressive play possible in Sm4sh? That is the biggest thing hindering my decision right now. I know the game is still just taking its baby steps on the competitive scene right now, but if I went out and bought a Wii U and Smash would I ever have any shot at aggressive play online?

Most of the play I have seen on a high level has been ultra conservative/Brawl like kind of stuff, but is there any chance we could see a player start winning tourneys playing the game like melee?

I am genuinely curious because thats the biggest question for me in deciding weather or not to buy it. Thanks.
I say buy a Wii U and the game. It rewards both offense and defense, more of offense though.

I like aggressive play too, and I found the game to be just that.

I think you'll have a good time.

Invite some friends over, twist one up and light it, and there ya go. Money well spent.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
It completely depends on who you are fighting as, and who you are fighting against.

For example:

Megaman and Rosalina will probably go to time if the players are serious about winning.

Captain Falcon and Sheik will be a lot more aggressive and flashy.

It depends on the player too, I've ran into some super defensive players playing physical characters, and vice versa.

Its all in good fun, For Glory can lag sometimes but as long as your own internet connection is good then it will happen few and far between. I have yet to regret getting it.

Top Bottom