• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aggressive Duck Hunt

lilinuyasha

Smash Apprentice
NNID
lilinuyasha
Hey guys. I'm new and thought of posting videos, but I won't have too much to add.

Anyways, This is an issue I'm working on, but does anyone else have the problem of being a little too aggressive with DH? I tend to get in the nitty gritty a lot more than I should and it sometimes costs me dearly. A lot of the time it pays out well, though it's hard for me to really sit back and wait for perfect setups. That being said, my aggressiveness is also my greatest strength and downfall, since a lot of people don't expect and aggressive DH.

Anyone else super aggressive? Not quite as reserved?

looking forward to being more active here. Haven't posted since '09.

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
I play Duck Hunt quite aggressively and I do get moments where I want to get the spike off-stage or make sure they don't come back and end up overestimating my recovery and killing myself. Other times I get way too hungry for aerials (Duck Hunt's aerials are sooo satisfying) and my opponent just shields and punishes.

I'd like to learn how to channel my aggro tendencies into smarter play with projectiles. Times where I play against other characters that are always in your face (like a certain Captain Falcon) are met with me trying to match their level of aggression. I think I would fare better in these match ups if I ran and lay traps as I go, which is pretty darn difficult to do.

Also, welcome back!

lilinuyasha

Smash Apprentice
NNID
lilinuyasha
I do get the tendency to try the meteor smash as well. It's so satisfying when it hits. My favorite moments have been when I managed to spike Fox or Falco in the middle of their super dash. That was fun.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
I definitely thrive on aggressive rushdown, for I forward shorthop travel towards my opponents with my wall of projectiles (especially the Can), so I can "get in" on MY terms and "go ham" with aerial juggles for big damage. Some characters struggle greatly against this setup (ex. :4wiifit:, :4robinf:, :4charizard:, :4megaman:, etc.), while others can rise to the occassion (ex. :4sonic:, :4yoshi:, :rosalina:, another :4duckhunt:, etc.).

Yet I'll admit, there are some matchups where I PROBABLY should be more "lame" in my style (ex. :4ganondorf:, :4bowser:, :4dedede:, :4dk:, etc.), but I don't, because as a fan of "getting in and going ham," I don't want to make like ChrisG's Morrigan/Doom/Vergil team during UMVC3 and spam Soul Fists & Hidden Missiles while Astral Vision's active from the word "FIGHT!!", as fun(ny) as that would be, unless 1. I'm actually in a serious tournament match, 2. I want to be a salty tryhard jerk (which I normally wouldn't think of being, unless I somehow go on a LONG losing streak in 1 session or something), or 3. if in a FG FFA or Teams session, I'm (and/or my teammate is) at 100+%, while they're at low %, there's 10-ish seconds left, and they're 1 or 2 KOs away from taking me (& my teammate) to Sudden Death or even winning the match.

I also go far for the edgeguards, especially if 1. I can throw out a fresh Can, and 2. I'm given a walled Omega stage like Wii Fit Studio or Nintendogs, because I get to wall-jump my way back up, which not only looks really cool, but I sincerely believe he needs it to actually recover (though not as badly as :4drmario: & :4littlemac: do) from deep edgeguarding. Said wall-jump has even saved me from :4pacman:'s Hydrant and :4greninja:'s DAir (which sent him plummeting into the abyss XD).

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Duck Hunt CAN be aggressive. It's not the best option against everyone, though.

Heavy hitters, no way. When they get Rage they can kill DH at like 30%. It's better to play it slow.

He seems to play this style best against characters who have a similar amount of weaknesses to DH.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
We're like a decent mma fighter. We're not really great at anything, but we're good enough at everything to at least be better than our opponents at something. Or something.

Last edited:

lilinuyasha

Smash Apprentice
NNID
lilinuyasha
THere's only so many times I can get my ass handed to me in for glory before I wonder what I'm doing wrong. Even when I'm not playing aggressive, they just come in and **** me up. It's so frustrating.

OnePeg

Smash Rookie
NNID
One-Peg
3DS FC
4682-9026-8782
There are many times I'm forced to play aggressively, when my opponent doesn't give me enough space to even throw out a projectile. I pull out a ton of grabs/dash attacks and just punish in the air-- make them regret they ever got in your face.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
I play either very patiently or very agressively, there's no in between for me which i'm trying to master

lilinuyasha

Smash Apprentice
NNID
lilinuyasha
I used to be aggressive to where I'd lose games due to it.

After playing in a few smash tournies and getting some hints, I'm playing a lot more patiently and being aggressive at the right times. Sit back, wait for oppotunities, then run in for some grabs. A lot of my opponents will air dodge after a down throw, leaving them vulnerable to a smash attack. After a clay pidgeon, I usually either forward air or, as I'm getting better with lately, a Nair at the right percents. Creates a large enough knockback for you to set yourself up to patiently wait to be aggressive again.

I have a few videos of my playstyle on the video board if you want to see it. otherwise, we can talk aggressiveness theory here.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
SH OoS nair and SH FF bair are good KO moves you should make more use of. You could also use some more general mobility. In particular, I noticed you had a tendency to remain stagnant as you shot your projectiles. SH gunmen/clay pigeon and jumping with a can being shot are all good ways to add pressure to your opponent. If you were to incorporate projectiles into your game to build momentum rather than seemingly remain stagnant while doing so, you'd start to overwhelm the opponent. DHs projectiles are generally slow, so it's not like you can camp with Falco's SHDL back in Brawl. I also noticed you sometimes became a bit too smash heavy which isn't a good idea for DH as his smashes should be used as general surprise mixups and heavy punishes rather than making it telegraphed. Also, to every Duck Hunt, USE THE WALL JUMP. Duck Hunt's recovery is really not that great and if you're recovering low and vertically, it's pretty much a stage spike/meteor smash against a competent opponent as DH is left completely helpless and locked in the move. If you can wall jump (works well with walled omegas), it gives you some horizontal/vertical distance and sometimes you won't even need to recover as you'll snap the ledge that way.

Ever since I was told this by Spirst, I've BEEN playing an aggressive Duck Hunt, and I even find him better played aggressively than defensively. For the fair more majority of matchups, I find that my opponents are overwhelmed more if I offend them myself than sit back and camp, and Duck Hunt's combo game and damage racking is just top notch. I always play this way unless I'm fighting a heavy like :4dk:, :4bowser:, :4charizard: or someone with crappy approaches like :4kirby: or :4bowserjr:; since I can just play lame and have a higher chance of winning. Campy Duck Hunts are boooooring though, and fighting these guys makes me sleepy.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
The hardest part I've found is fighting an opponent who has better projectiles than DH, and can also be aggressive (Link/TL). Then I gotta be more careful and take the defensive. Characters like Robin or Pac-man, I'm going hard.

lilinuyasha

Smash Apprentice
NNID
lilinuyasha
SH OoS nair and SH FF bair are good KO moves you should make more use of. You could also use some more general mobility. In particular, I noticed you had a tendency to remain stagnant as you shot your projectiles. SH gunmen/clay pigeon and jumping with a can being shot are all good ways to add pressure to your opponent. If you were to incorporate projectiles into your game to build momentum rather than seemingly remain stagnant while doing so, you'd start to overwhelm the opponent. DHs projectiles are generally slow, so it's not like you can camp with Falco's SHDL back in Brawl. I also noticed you sometimes became a bit too smash heavy which isn't a good idea for DH as his smashes should be used as general surprise mixups and heavy punishes rather than making it telegraphed. Also, to every Duck Hunt, USE THE WALL JUMP. Duck Hunt's recovery is really not that great and if you're recovering low and vertically, it's pretty much a stage spike/meteor smash against a competent opponent as DH is left completely helpless and locked in the move. If you can wall jump (works well with walled omegas), it gives you some horizontal/vertical distance and sometimes you won't even need to recover as you'll snap the ledge that way..
Those may just be older, but I've been told I don't use ENOUGH smash attacks. I've been trying to utilize more of them.

I posted a more recent DH stream of some matches against a CF that I feel are more representative of my current skill. Thanks for the advice, though. I do have a terrible Shorthop game, I know this. I've been trying to utilize them more, but I'm a tap jump person, so using buttons is somewhat foreign to me.

Top Bottom