• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ages of Pokemon Players

Binkachu

Smash Rookie
I was wondering what are some of the older pokemon players you have heard of or known?

i know its not just kids and teens playing it

zrky

Smash Lol'd
my friend told me he saw a guy about 40 at a nintendo event getting Ho-Oh and Lugia

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Bah. You and your fancy competitive play.

I actually would be competitive, but I'm to lazy to EV train...

Binkachu

Smash Rookie
i think a lot more older folks play pokemon that are willing to admit it

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Bah. You and your fancy competitive play.

I actually would be competitive, but I'm to lazy to EV train...

This is me all over (The spoiler text)

I play it, and love it, and I'm over the age of 16. Sue me.

ozg82889

Smash Journeyman
im 19. i play competitively but ev training is a pain in the ***. so far i have 20+ ev trained pokes but i haven't been in an online tourny in a while. i also play shoddy on the smogon server but suspect ladder only.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
I'm 16 and I started competitive play a couple months after the release of Pokemon Diamond version. I am an actual asian male. (Cookie for reference)

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I'm 16, and started competitive battling when I was 13 or 14. I only use online battle systems nowadays (lack of WiFi FTL!!).

The oldest person I know who plays Pokemon occasionally is 18.

Binkachu

Smash Rookie
the older pokemon players i know dont battle or play competively they are more into trying to get all 493.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I'm 21, and I'm the oldest one I know who plays it.
Luckily, there's four kids on my street who play it, but they are in 3rd, 4th, 4th, and 6th grade, and two of them are girls. Their parents think I'm a little weird, but they've known me for years so it's fine. I mentioned IV's and EV's to them once, but they looked at me like I was MissingNo., so I just trade with them and teach them stuff.
Plus one of them just got Action Replay for their birthday so I'm set.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm 25, and kind of just getting into it.
I played ruby when it was new, and got pearl last summer, but I haven't even played through all of pearl yet. I'm pretty close to the end.

My bros are giving me a crash course on shoddy so I can learn "real" pokemon.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
I'm 21.

On a side note I think older gamers are going to become more common soon. This is what we have been playing since we where ten and there is no reason for us to graduate college and say, okay I'm in my twenties now, time to put the games away. Especially the people who are making money gaming. I'm not at all surprised by the 96 year old, there is a very successful DOA4 player who is in her 50's or 60's I think, it's getting pretty common.

Back to Pokemon though, people who play the card game tend to be older. I remember being 16 and going to tournaments and being the only kid there. It's pretty much just 40 year old men at those things. Completely threw me off the first time.

Binkachu

Smash Rookie
im 27 and i just picked it up one day and a little cousins house and got hooked. ive never battlled anyone i just play to collect them all.

do a lot of people have all 493?

SmashAura4

Smash Apprentice
I started at age 10, and continue to play at age 17. I'm not much of competitive player, so I concentrate on memorizing the stats and movesets of every pokemon (almost every pokemon anyway). I'd like to call myself a Pokemon Researcher.

drcossack

Smash Ace

I started during Gen 1. I played in a few Nintendo events in the Philly area back in the day and ended up winning one of them.

I bought Silver, but I didn't really play again until I saw Destiny Deoxys (crappy movie, but hey, it got me back into the game), when I bought Emerald and LeafGreen. I wanted to start playing on Netbattle, but my old computer never let me connect (and I never figured out why)

D/P: Couldn't get on WiFi (still can't) to play against others, so I play on Shoddy (using the same exact team I would for WiFi play)

Fawriel

Smash Master
Looks like I'm far from extraordinary with my 20 years. Gonna buy a DS as soon as money allows and will actually start playing against people then. I'm already working on my metagame knowledge a bit so I can try to make a team composed of my favourites that can actually win battles (since my favourites tend not to be very powerful )...

mzink*

Smash Ace
I've played em since the originals, I'm 22, now. I'm mostly just interested in collecting and trading as many as I possibly can, then I raise em to high levels and trade em to the lil kiddies I babysit. They think I am a pokemon goddess lol :p

Binkachu

Smash Rookie
have you got all pokemon yet? do you have them all on one cartridge?

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
I LOVE YOUR AVATAR XD

I don't know anyone who's that old, but my Great-aunt played Pokemon Crystal because she was bored. She couldn't figure out how to save, and she found the game on a bench somewhere, so I don't know if it counts.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
I don't personally know anyone, but I'm 20 and I play Pokemon. In fact I played Pokemon very competitively, starting with the RSE and continuing into DP (Although I started studying strategies with the GSC era, I just never got into tournaments back then).

I've stopped playing competitively recently, not because I grew out of Pokemon, but because being in college and all, it's difficult to find the time to keep up with the metagame and participate in tournament battles.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
19... not too old, I guess, but I bet I'd still get strange looks in public.

I don't play so much anymore since I got 490 in February, though... And with a distinct lack of Wifi in college, the only person I can battle is my older sister... who has a broken Roserade that I can't seem to beat. :mad:

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Well, I've never heard of any older players other than me and I'm 20. I used to play Pokemon competitavely, in particular the older games such as Blue and Silver, but as the times came, I somewhat seperated myself a bit from that, though I do enjoy playing it from time to time.

Metal~Mario

Smash Lord
I'm 18 and have yet to join competitive battling...

My brothers play too, but they're 14 & 12, so I'm the one who looks weird :(

I enjoy how quickly they are getting IV's and EV's though....

Top Bottom