• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Agent of Justice, Luke, Makes a Stand!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Prepare yourselves for the ultimate opponent...!
Luke Skywalker!!

...JUST kidding!

I REALLY meant...

...THIS Luke!

Welcome to the Luke Fon Fabre support thread!

Spiriting in from a far away land, Luke, and his tiny yet formidable sidekick, Mieu, come to shatter the party! (Get it?)

Whom is Luke?

^ Luke should totally have that stance if he is included. :awesome:

Luke Fon Fabre is the main protagonist of Tales of the Abyss, the eighth installment of Namco Bandai's popular "Tales Of" action RPG series. He is a blue-blood whom hails from the grand kingdom of Kimlasca, and an apprentice swordsman trained under a sword master named Van. He wields the power of the Seventh Fonon, a magickal force that generates and channels energy through sound.

At the age of ten, Luke was kidnapped by the mighty Malkuth Empire, enemy of Kimlasca. When his father, Duke Fabre, finally recovered him, Luke was found to have absolutely no recollection of his life before his abduction. For his protection, Luke was confined to his manor, and for the next seven years lived a lavish, but solitary life. On his seventeenth year, during a training session with his mentor, Van, Luke's manor is infiltrated by a mysterious woman named Tear Grants. As Tear prepares to assassinate Van, Luke intervenes, blocking the woman's attack, and the two are suddenly engulfed in a field of energy and teleported into a meadow located in the Malkuth Empire. During their trek, Luke and Tear are taken captive in a Malkuth war ship, called the Tartarus, commanded by a wise-cracking military colonel named Jade Curtiss. And that is when things start to take an interesting turn...

Luke is NOT your average altruistic, lovable protagonist. Throughout the first half of Tales of the Abyss, he largely behaves like a spoiled, selfish, arrogant, obnoxious, insufferable brat. Though his companions barely tolerate his temperament, after many battles together he eventually gains their trust. And after finally receiving a hard and much-needed blow to his ego, he ultimately turns out to be a humble and passionate hero, though he still retains a sliver of his cockiness and stubbornness.

Why choose Luke over Lloyd?

Though Lloyd Irving is more popular and recognisable, as is his game, Tales of Symphonia (originally released on the Nintendo GameCube), his game came out a very long time ago. Furthermore, his game has recently been remade for the Sony Playstation 3, a competing console and company. Ergo, though Lloyd would undoubtedly be the more popular choice, from a business standpoint, putting Lloyd in Super Smash Bros would not be the wisest of ideas--unless Tales of Symphonia is released for the Virtual Console or remade for the Wii U or 3DS.

Luke, on the other hand, recently had his game, Tales of the Abyss (originally released exclusively for the Sony Playstation 2), ported to the Nintendo 3DS. That being said, Luke's inclusion in Super Smash Bros. would put his game right into the spotlight. And since many people already own a 3DS, 3DS XL, or 2DS, the game would fly off shelves like a swarm of locusts.

How would Luke play? And how would he differentiate from the other sword wielders?

There are many sword wielders in Super Smash Bros; however, none of them make significant use of magick. Luke's play style could be a combination of magick and swordsmanship.

And besides Pit, none of the other blade users have a combo-heavy play style. Given Luke's fighting style in his respective game, he has the potential to be both a powerful and combo-heavy character.

I recently put together this basic moveset to demonstrate just how unique Luke can be from the other sword wielders in Super Smash Bros:

[collapse="Moveset"]Index
1). Jab & Dash Attack
2). Tilt Attacks
3). Smash Attacks
4). Aerial Attacks
5). Special Attacks
6). Grab & Throws
7). Taunts, poses, etc.
8). Final Smash

Summary
Luke is all about offence and combos. In terms of speed, weight, and mobility, Luke is a well-rounded character. If used right, he can rack up damage efficiently AND kill reliably. Even better is that he is very easy to pick up. However, he has two major weaknesses: poor defence, unreliable recovery. Once Luke's damage is high enough, he can be sent flying fairly easily. Even worse is that his recovery, though good, can only be used once in the air.

1). Jab & Dash Attack:

Jab 1: In a quick and fluid motion, Luke performs a downward vertical slash of his sword.
Jab 2: Luke continues the combo with a second downward vertical slash.

Note: Like Marth's jab in Melee, Luke's jab goes on and on and on. Unlike Marth's, however, Luke's jab keeps the opponent pulled in, allowing for better combos. If the opponent is against a wall, this move can be extremely difficult to escape from. Both of Luke's jabs can be cancelled into either a tilt, grab, or a smash attack.

Dash Attack (Sonic Blast): Engulfed in razor wind, Luke dashes forward, sword thrusted out in front of him. The opponent is swept along with Luke and damaged multiple times before finally being sent flying a short distance. Instant startup.

2). Tilt Attacks:

Forward Tilt (Sonic Thrust): Luke lunges forward, sending the opponent flying backward a medium distance with a powerful thrust of his sword accompanied by a shock wave. Very slightly slow startup.

Upward Tilt (Rending Thrust): Luke stabs the opponent, then sends him/her flying upward a medium distance with a powerful uppercut accompanied by a shock wave. Quick Startup.

Downward Tilt: Luke delivers a low kick with the back of his heel. If pressed twice, he will follow up with a swift, low horizontal slash of his sword. Like his jab, this move goes on and on. Good for hitting smaller opponents. Both attacks can be cancelled into either a tilt, grab, or smash attack.

3). Smash Attacks:

Forward Smash (Raging Blast): Luke thrusts forward his free hand, creating a pink ball of energy that eventually explodes, sending the opponent flying. Very powerful, and can kill at medium percentages, but slow startup.

Upward Smash (Light Spear Cannon): Luke deliveres a strong vertical slash of his sword that sends the opponent into the air, then finishes the attack with a powerful diagonal thrust accompanied by a shock wave, damaging the opponent multiple times. Quick Startup.

Downward Smash (Devil's Inferno): With his free hand engulfed in flame, Luke backhands the opponent, then follows up with a powerful two-handed strike that causes the ground around him to erupt in flame, sending any nearby opponent flying upward. Slightly slow startup. Can kill at medium-high percentages.

4). Aerial Attacks:

Neutral Aerial (Swallow Fury): Luke delivers three swift and powerful kicks. This move can immediately be followed up by another aerial attack, but not the same one. Instant startup.

Forward Aerial (Shadow Fury): Luke delivers a series of lightning-fast sword slashes, each one emitting an eerie flash. The last slash sends the opponent flying away. Instant startup.

Backward Aerial (Reverse Swallow Fury): Luke delivers three swift and powerful kicks behind him. This move can immediately be followed up by another aerial attack, but not the same one. Instant startup. Like Marth's backward aerial in Brawl, this move will cause Luke to switch directions.

Upward Aerial (Fang Blade): Luke delivers a rising vertical slash of his sword accompanied by a shockwave, damaging the opponent multiple times whilst knocking him/her upward a little. If Luke's second jump has not been used, he, along with the opponent, will be propelled upward a little. This move can immediately be followed up by another aerial attack, but not the same one. Instant startup.

Downward Aerial (Havoc Strike): Surrounded by a shockwave, Luke dives a short distance at a -45 or -135 degree angle, feet fist, spiking the opponent at the same angle. Instant startup.

5). Special Attacks:

Standard Special (Mieu Fire): Luke conjures his tiny sidekick Mieu, whom blows a small ball of fire at the opponent. The fireball travels fairly quickly and at a medium distance. If an opponent gets hit by this whilst standing on the ground, he/she will be momentarily stunned. Instant startup.

Side Special (Mieu Attack): Luke conjures his tiny sidekick Mieu, whom leaps out of his palm, curls into a ball, and rams into the opponent. If the opponent is on the ground, he/she will be sent falling on their butt, leaving him/her open for attack. If the opponent is in the air, he/she will be spiked at a -45 or -135 degree angle. This move will instantly break any box, barrel, or demolishable stage element. Very slightly slow startup.

Up Special (Mieu Wings): With his free hand, Luke grabs onto his tiny partner Mieu, whom flies upward by flapping his wing-shaped ears. This move is similar to Pit's recovery in Brawl, only the player does not have to repeatedly tap the special button. Also, Mieu will only fly upward--never downward. If Luke is hit whilst using this move, he will not be able to use it again until he touches the ground. Instant startup.

Down Special (Coil): Surrounded by a red aura, Luke pumps both of his fists, gathering energy. For about ten seconds, all of Luke's attacks will deal more damage and knockback. Slow startup. Though this power-up only lasts a short time, the trick is knowing when to use it.

6). Grab & Throws:

Forward Throw (Slag Assault): Luke punches the opponent, disorienting him/her, hops upward, then sends him/her flying away with a powerful two-handed strike. Can kill at high percentages.

Backward Throw: Luke hurls the opponent behind him, then with a powerful reverse spin kick sends him/her away a medium distance.

Upward Throw (Demon Fist): Luke uppercuts the opponent with his free hand, sending him/her flying upwards a medium distance.

Downward Throw: Luke drops the opponent to the ground, then in a comical fit of anger repeatedly stomps on the opponent before finally kicking him/her away a medium distance. This move does a decent amount of damage, and can chain-grab opponents at low percentages. (Author's Note: This move was originally Guardian Field, but I decided to change it to this, as 1). I thought it would be more funny. 2). I thought it would be more useful as a move. And 3). Thought it would make Luke stand out more, as it brings out some of the comical nature from Tales of the Abyss. Anyone whom has played the game should recognise where this move derives from.)

7). Taunts, poses, etc:

Victory Pose 1: With a grumpy look on his face, Luke casually swings his sword in front of him, shouting, "Hmph! Get out of my face!". Meanwhile, his sidekick, Mieu, stands silently beside him.

Victory Pose 2: Luke sheaths his sword, then with an indifferent expression turns to the side whilst folding his hands behind his head, looking upward. At the same time, he says, "I win, you lose, we're done." Meanwhile, his sidekick, Mieu, stands silently beside him.

Victory Pose 3: Staring downward with a remorseful, but resolute expression, Luke sticks his sword into the ground, at the same time saying, "I'll do whatever it takes." Meanwhile, his sidekick, Mieu, stands silently beside him.

On-Stage Appearance: Luke flies onto the stage with the help of his sidekick Mieu. He then readies his sword and shouts, "You're DEAD!"

8). Final Smash:

Final Smash (Overlimit/Lost Fon Drive): Luke pumps his fists, unleashing a surge of energy that knocks away all nearby opponents a medium distance. For a short time, Luke is surrounded by a magickal barrier. In this state, all attacks on Luke will be reduced in damage, and Luke will not flinch in the slightest. If the special button is pressed again whilst in this state, Luke will raise his sword, unleashing a surge of energy that repeatedly damages any nearby opponent. Luke will then follow up the attack with several strikes of his sword, then finish the combo by unleashing forward a large beam of energy that will KO any unlucky opponent.[/collapse]

What kind of Assist Trophies could the series bring?

In Tales of the Abyss as well as other Tales games, there are many characters with unique abilities that would stand out as an Assist Trophy. For an Assist Trophy, mine personal pick would have to be...

Jade Curtiss

Colonel Jade Curtiss is a major playable character in Tales of the Abyss, and also a playable character in various Tales spinoffs.

Jade is a cool-headed, intelligent, and efficient operative. Do not be fooled by his cheery exterior, for underneath that clinical calm and wise-cracking demeanour is a dangerous figure.

Jade is a powerful magick user and lance wielder. He has a large array of spells that he could use as an Assist Trophy. In Super Smash Bros, he could use his signature spell, Energy Blast, to blow away opponents. What he could do is target a random opponent, then cast Energy Blast on the player's immediate position. The opponent will only have a short time to dodge the attack; otherwise, he/or she will be KO'ed instantly, or be sent flying a fairly far distance.

Other possible Assist Trophies could be...

Tear Grants

Sergeant Tear Grants is one of the main playable characters in Tales of the Abyss. Though she and Luke tend to get on each other's nerves from time to time, the two bear a close bond.

Tear is typically strict, calculative, and reserved, and thus is misjudged by others, especially Luke, to be cold and heartless. Underneath her icy exterior, however, is a pure soul.

Despite her young age, Tear is a formidable warrior. Her primary weapons are staffs and throwing knives. Like Luke, Tear possesses the power of the Seventh Fonon. By singing certain hymns, Tear is able to cast powerful magick that few others possess. Her signature spell is Nightmare, in which she puts surrounding opponents into a deep sleep by singing a unique hymn. In Smash 4, this spell could be a more powerful version of Jigglypuff's up-special that covers the entire stage. Unless the opponent is airborne, he/she will be instantly put to sleep upon hearing Tear's hymn.

Anise Tatlin & Tokunaga

Sergeant Anise Tatlin (on the left) is a main playable character in Tales of the Abyss, and is playable in various Tales spinoffs.

Anise typically portrays a cheerful, childlike demeanor. She is rather greedy, and often pitches a fit when things do not go her way. Underneath her persona, however, Anise is clever beyond her thirteen years--as sly as they come.

Anise is a powerful magick user. Her primary weapon is her giant, automated doll, Tokunaga (on the right). On the field, Tokunaga could approach an opponent, hit them once or twice, perform its Dual-Punishment attack, in which it spins rapidly with its arms spread, then send the opponent flying sky-high with Dragon Surge, which is a jumping uppercut attack. If there is an opponent diagonally above Tokunaga, Tokunaga could perform its Shadow Raid attack, in which is leaps in the air diagonally whilst spinning round; damaging the opponent multiple times before finally knocking them a fairly long distance. Lastly, Tokunaga could jump above an opponent and perform its Eagle Dive attack, in which it plummets down on the opponent, sending them flying or even KO'ing them. A slow, but powerful Assist Trophy.

What about a Stage? Or Music?

The world of Tales of the Abyss, much like all other Tales games, combines both the elements of magick and science, and thus is quite unique compared to other generic medieval RPG worlds. There are many stages to choose from that would stand out from other stages. Mine personal pick would have to be...

Yulia City

An ancient city long lost under the depths of the Earth. It is a very important location in Tales of the Abyss, as many events occur there, and the city somewhat acts as a headquarters and meeting ground for Luke and his companions. Though it would not be the most chaotic stage, its background is certainly a sight for sore eyes! I mean, look at that magnificent structure! I was thinking maybe the players would fight on the large, circular clearing in front of the city. The stage would be roughly the size of the Bridge of Eldin from Brawl.

As for music... Below is a list of songs I handpicked from various Tales games that I thought would be the most memorable and best suited for this stage. Click on them to hear them.

♪ Opening Theme (Tales of the Abyss)
♪ Opening Theme ~Japanese ver. (Tales of the Abyss)
♪ The Arrow that Was Shot (Tales of the Abyss)
♪ The Edge of a Decision (Tales of the Abyss)
♪ Awkward Justice (Tales of the Abyss)
♪ Everlasting Fight (Tales of the Abyss)
♪ The Meaning of Birth (Tales of the Abyss)
♪ Time to Raise the Cross (Tales of the Abyss)
♪ Unfulfilled Promise (Tales of the Abyss)
♪ Fighting of the Spirit (Tales of Phantasia)
♪ Fatalize (Tales of Symphonia)
♪ Scattering Sparks (Tales of Vesperia)
♪ Glitter! Like a Star (Tales of Hearts)
♪ I Want to Protect You ~white wishes~ (Ending ver.) (Tales of Graces)

Alrighty then! For fans of the Tales series and newcomers alike, all support is welcome and appreciated. Even if you do not like Luke's personality, there is no denying that he would make an interesting fighter in Super Smash Bros. So give a holler for Luke! [Shrugs] Or give a great, big yawn.

And as for Luke's say in the matter...

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Update: Added a new song to the list, ♪ Opening Theme ~Japanese ver. (Tales of the Abyss).

Also, in the moveset, I made some changes to the following moves:

Forward Aerial (Shadow Fury)
Downward Aerial (Havoc Strike)
Standard Special (Mieu Fire)
Side Special (Mieu Attack)
Down Special (Coil)
Upward Throw (Demon Fist)
Downward Throw

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
While I've always preferred Pac-Man as a Namco-Bandai character, a Tales Of character would be nice too.

Luke would be a pretty decent addition in my opinion.

Altais

Smash Champion
Personally, I only like the old Pac-Man. I could be in the minority in this, but I really do not like what they have done with Pac-Man these days. That being said, I would rather see Pac-Man as a Special Flag summon, in his 8-bit form.

Anyhow, at first, I was not sure if Luke would be all that interesting in Smash Bros, in terms of playstyle, but after giving it some thought, and remembering some of the unique moves, abilities, and utilities he had in his game, I found that he the potential to be much more than just a generic swordsman with generic attacks.

To be frank, I would prefer Cless Alvein over any Tales or Namco-B character, as he is hands down mine favourite titular character in the Tales series. Though, I definitely would not mind Luke either.

Anyhow, good to see someone finally replied. I was about to give up on this thread.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I agree with pretty much everything you just said. Modern pacman is something I'm quite heavily against, despite actually quite liking the idea of his arcade form appearing (obviously not as a playable though, so little potential). For characters, I'd be more inclined towards Lloyd from a purely fandom basis but I have long since thought that Cless' timespace artes and such would really set his moveset apart from the other swordsmen. And as for Luke, his Fonic altered artes do give him a good deal more magical material to work with your average warrior.

I do, however, disagree on your choice of assist trophy. Personally, I would think that Anise (or more specifically, Tokunaga) would be the logical choice, being both instantly recognisable and a lot more able to look wacky and different in her brief time on screen, even if she wouldn't offer much in the way of unique functionality.

Oh and I made a stage some time ago:

Grand Chokmah

A stage based on the "floating capital" but not any one specific part of it. Visually, a wall encases this circular stage, water flowing over in and in towards the centre. This main wall represents the outer defense wall of the city itself and ends abruptly just before the playable cross section. As such, the only walls to this stage are ones of downward flowing water as seen in the picture above. The main stage also has flowing water, making its way in towards the one dry platform. This is a fountain of the sort only seen in Grand Chokmah. It is perfectly dry apart from a tiny stream of water just behind the playing area (ie. visual effect only) that sustains a large stationary orb.
As you can see, this stage provides an entirely new use of water within the Super Smash Bros. universe, one that I was very disappointed to discover I couldn't create in the stage builder.
The blast zones are further from the sides of stage than they were in the Altar Room to make up for the lack of walls and promote a greater use of downward angled edge guarding techniques. There are not, however, any further from the high point. They are, infact, closer to the top of the water, making it a dangerous place to spend any length of time.
Wall infinites are possible on this stage but not particularly easy since the attacker is constantly being pulled in towards the wall, messing up their spacing.

Altais

Smash Champion
I agree with pretty much everything you just said. Modern pacman is something I'm quite heavily against, despite actually quite liking the idea of his arcade form appearing (obviously not as a playable though, so little potential). For characters, I'd be more inclined towards Lloyd from a purely fandom basis but I have long since thought that Cless' timespace artes and such would really set his moveset apart from the other swordsmen. And as for Luke, his Fonic altered artes do give him a good deal more magical material to work with your average warrior.

I do, however, disagree on your choice of assist trophy. Personally, I would think that Anise (or more specifically, Tokunaga) would be the logical choice, being both instantly recognisable and a lot more able to look wacky and different in her brief time on screen, even if she wouldn't offer much in the way of unique functionality.

Oh and I made a stage some time ago:

Grand Chokmah

A stage based on the "floating capital" but not any one specific part of it. Visually, a wall encases this circular stage, water flowing over in and in towards the centre. This main wall represents the outer defense wall of the city itself and ends abruptly just before the playable cross section. As such, the only walls to this stage are ones of downward flowing water as seen in the picture above. The main stage also has flowing water, making its way in towards the one dry platform. This is a fountain of the sort only seen in Grand Chokmah. It is perfectly dry apart from a tiny stream of water just behind the playing area (ie. visual effect only) that sustains a large stationary orb.
As you can see, this stage provides an entirely new use of water within the Super Smash Bros. universe, one that I was very disappointed to discover I couldn't create in the stage builder.
The blast zones are further from the sides of stage than they were in the Altar Room to make up for the lack of walls and promote a greater use of downward angled edge guarding techniques. There are not, however, any further from the high point. They are, infact, closer to the top of the water, making it a dangerous place to spend any length of time.
Wall infinites are possible on this stage but not particularly easy since the attacker is constantly being pulled in towards the wall, messing up their spacing.
Actually, I think Anise/Tokunaga could be a pretty unique Assist Trophy, visual-wise and gameplay wise, given the artes she can use. I might put together something later and add it to the original post.

As for stages, I did think of Grand Chokmah and even Kimlasca at first, but I was looking for something more unique than just a typical castle. At some point, I though of the Albiore (the flying machine), but I did not really see how that would differentiate much from the Pilotwings stage. I also thought of the Tartarus deck (the huge, circular area where you fight Sync), and that was going to be the final idea, but then I remembered Yulia City. I just absolutely love the structure of that place; it is so different from any other location in the game.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Anise Could be unique and I guess Tokunaga could be too but, realistically, Dual Punishment seems the most likely arte. What would be kinda cool though was if they had two identical looking trophies, one of which had Tokunaga attack and the other Anise.

The Albiore strikes me as less pilot wings, more Lylat Cruise. Still uninteresting and unoriginal though. Kimlasca is indeed way too generic and the Tartarus' deck would end up as little more than a reskinned Final Destination. Yulia City could potentially provide something cool, though your picture doesn't really show much usable structure, but I went with Grand Chokmah for two reasons.
The first is that it was an iconic location. Not quite as frequently visited as Yulia City but with a lot more time spent exploring. It had its own distinct style too, with all that water flowing and floating about. Which leads onto my second reason. Chokmah's gimmick provides the basis for an entirely new type of stage, with a revolutionised edge game that utilizes one of Brawl's lacklustre additions in a fun and interesting new way. It was this potential that really drew me to it.

Altais

Smash Champion
Anise Could be unique and I guess Tokunaga could be too but, realistically, Dual Punishment seems the most likely arte. What would be kinda cool though was if they had two identical looking trophies, one of which had Tokunaga attack and the other Anise.

The Albiore strikes me as less pilot wings, more Lylat Cruise. Still uninteresting and unoriginal though. Kimlasca is indeed way too generic and the Tartarus' deck would end up as little more than a reskinned Final Destination. Yulia City could potentially provide something cool, though your picture doesn't really show much usable structure, but I went with Grand Chokmah for two reasons.
The first is that it was an iconic location. Not quite as frequently visited as Yulia City but with a lot more time spent exploring. It had its own distinct style too, with all that water flowing and floating about. Which leads onto my second reason. Chokmah's gimmick provides the basis for an entirely new type of stage, with a revolutionised edge game that utilizes one of Brawl's lacklustre additions in a fun and interesting new way. It was this potential that really drew me to it.
Hmm, I definitely see your point now, and I definitely can see how Grand Chokmah could make an interesting stage--especially after looking at this picture. I totally forgot about all the water channels; it has been quite a while since I played the game. I think Grand Chokmah could make a good scrolling stage.

Anyhow, I just added two more Assist Trophy ideas to the original post, one of which is Anise & Tokunaga. I tried mine best to give them a unique function instead of just aimless flailing like Samurai Goroh.

Altais

Smash Champion
Now that Pac-Man has been confirmed to be playable, I think it is safe to say that we will not be getting anymore playable Namco-Bandai characters. Thanks to all whom supported.

Sorry, Luke, but it looks like you missed your chance. Just please do not take it out on Mieu.

Annnnnd with that, I am requesting lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom