• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

after a couple weeks with the game... i realized havin 1 main is pointless

bronxboi87

Smash Cadet
the fact i lost all the skill i had from melee... from a competative aspect, this game seems to be based mainly on matchups... i mainly use luigi and olimar...and i may beat someone with my luigi and then my olimar gets stomped out against that same person... and sometimes its the other way around were i win wit olimar and my luigi gets ****ed up (against the same person, again)

i may have to stop maining luigi cause of this...

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I think all you need is some getting use to and some practice since you mentioned that you lost skill from Melee and eventually you should get better with the character you're trying to main in your case Luigi or Olimar

bronxboi87

Smash Cadet
i know... but luigi just feels soooo much more different than in melee... in melee i could kill someone with very few hits... if i got u at 80% off the edge and i did the front air (the clap), it was automatic death... in brawl, that move is so weak now... and it feels like his front smash doesnt go as far as it did... iono mann

Naybewon

Smash Ace
This game, more than almost any other I've ever played, is all about Rock-Paper-Scissors.

Some characters just CAN'T fight well against others. It's sad but true.

Then again, it isn't a HORRIBLE thing to have more than one main. It allows you to enjoy more of the game I guess, and experience more than one character/style of gameplay.

bronxboi87

Smash Cadet
tru... i guess its cool when u play casually, but competitively it gets a lil frustrating... in melee i felt i coulda took anyone on with luigi... now i gotta second think picking him when i play certain characters

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I have ten mains. :ohwell:

So yeah, find another main that covers your other main's weakness.

You main Ice Climbers, but you lose to Zelda. Next match, you use Game and Watch. Catch my drift?

Sariku

Smash Master
Of course it is, it was like this in Melee and Smash 64. Even games like Bleach DS (Which if anyone owns, I want to play you.). All the games where about rock, paper, scissors, even if this one is just worse than the others. You are supposed to think about who you play before you fight them anyways, so it shouldn't really matter.

I say you're just slow to realize the effectiveness of multiple characters. That's a sad thing, but everyone has a fault. I play Lucario, Sonic, and Marth. All because I love them both in play style and the games, except Marth. He only for playstyle. I also play Marth and Falco to test lag, and to see if I can beat them with Sonic or Lucario, since the both are particularly bad.

Kirye

Smash Ace
Haha, or use Pokemon Trainer like me. XD

I got a pokemon for each different style of fighting that I need. Plus I can still fight awesome enough with a polar opposite.

bronxboi87

Smash Cadet
^^yea i think ima start doin that... ivy's up smash is storng as ****, but its just as slow... i didnt like charizard at first but he's pretty bad *** now

Bud

Smash Journeyman
I try to learn every character in the game, so I main random, though I get mad when I get IC or snake-only two I hate- Its a good way to progress in the game and allows you to sort of know whats coming from all match ups.

Viscano

Smash Apprentice
^^yea i think ima start doin that... ivy's up smash is storng as ****, but its just as slow... i didnt like charizard at first but he's pretty bad *** now
you want a strong up smash, play with Lucas....that **** is crazy as hell

Organous

Smash Apprentice
I'd say it's preferable to be skilled at all characters in the game. Knowledge is power, after all, and when you control all characters, you control the metagame. Personally, I prefer there to be no metagame and thus main random. When nobody knows what the heck I'm playing, it's harder to strategize against me.

ƒox

Smash Cadet
I play pikachu and fox depending on who i'm fighting against, also have been practicing with mk and marth.
Since the new tourny rules i'm guessing having more than 2 mains would make you do a lot better.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I just have 5 mains each with a strong point (i.e. sonic-speed link-power marth-range mario-balance kirby-air games)

PCHU

Smash Lord
I have my mains set up like Pokemon... six mains in all.

I have Lucas in lead, and it's rare people beat him.
If they do, they suffer against my Ike.
If they win, then Falco, Wolf, Fox, and last, Lucario.

See?
I have well rounded characters, so that if one goes down, another takes their place.
Lucas works well for me, and my cousin plays Falco, and Pit, and Ike, but I still use Lucas, and I win.

Planet Piss

Smash Journeyman
In SSB64 i loved Falcon and Jiggs. In Melee i played as Ganon, Samus, Jiggs and Falcon. Now, all of the above are NERFED, so i use Marth and Lucas now. Jiggs is actually still pretty good now, just less knockback on the rest.

The hard part is, realizing that your main sucks (which may be the case and was for me). Once you get past that, it's really easy to find a new dude to kill people with.

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
Rock-Paper-Scissors mechanics are necessary in every game where you can fight others.

Virtua Fighter - Sarah's Long kicks beat Jeffrey, who can really stack up damage on Kage who is really fast so can hit Sarah.

Halo 3 - Sniper beats Shotty beats Assault Rifle beats Sniper

Team Fortress 2 - Engineer builds turret, demoman blows up turret, scout outruns demoman and kills him, turret kills scout.

There's more too, and none are really that accurate (Virtua Fighter is way more complex then that, and I was mostly just using my imagination. Also, in TF2, scouts don't have much of an advantage over demos but whatever.) but everything relies on rock-paper-scissors.

Top Bottom