• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aerials > Ground attacks?

Aaron_Sketch

Smash Cadet
Last night I was bored so I decided to pick up Roy. After comboing my friends' Marth to 120% with Fairs and Uairs and Bairs and basically every one of Roy's aerial attacks, , (Finishing with Fsmash) I figured Roy's aerial game is actually better than Marth's in terms of combo-bility (Because Roy's aerials have less knockback, they could be easier to follow up)
When I read these forums, however, basically everyone is saying how Roy is a ground fighter... But I don't really understand why. At lower percents, with the exception of Dtilt, wouldn't Roy's aerials be better for comboing? I try to use DED but it only seems to connect after following up from an aerial... So why is Roy's air game apparently so bad compared to his ground game?

pdk

Smash Lord
falls faster = enjoy your lack of dual SH fairs and other niceties = enjoy dying more because you were in the air instead of the ground and had nowhere to tech

A-Laon

Smash Master
Last night I was bored so I decided to pick up Roy.
As good a reason as any...

Roy's SHFFLS are indeed pretty impressive in their speed and ease of use, but the poor knockback and abundant lag greatly damage their potential. All of Roy's aerial "combos" can be effortlessly DI'ed out of, interrupted by another attack / defensive action, and really don't even inflict much damage.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
LOL@ roy's aerials more comboable than marth's
roy's aerials have poor knockback and stun, and it feels like more laggy too but im not sure
the only way to actually aerially comboing someone with roy is uair juggling i guess, which is nothing compared to anything marth can do

A-Laon

Smash Master
the only way to actually aerially comboing someone with roy is uair juggling i guess, which is nothing compared to anything marth can do
If by "uair juggling" you mean "spamming the hell out of shffled uairs at an opponent on a platform above you who is too stupid to DI, jump, or just about anything else in the game" then you are 100% accurate.

<3 Roy's aerials.

Aaron_Sketch

Smash Cadet
Well, I figured that since his aerials have almost no knockback, that it would prove to be a good thing since the attack wouldn't knock your enemy too far away so you can follow up... But oh well. I know that Roy' shorthop makes sffling hard to do... So I guess fullhopped Fairs only work on my friend I guess. Oh well, thanks for clearing this up for me.

A-Laon

Smash Master
Well, I figured that since his aerials have almost no knockback, that it would prove to be a good thing since the attack wouldn't knock your enemy too far away so you can follow up... But oh well. I know that Roy' shorthop makes sffling hard to do... So I guess fullhopped Fairs only work on my friend I guess. Oh well, thanks for clearing this up for me.
You're not far from the truth in thinking that the little knockback would keep them within comboing range. The problems are that this lack of knockback also means that the opponent recovers from the hit quickly enough to react before your next strike, and after low damages (say, 40ish) simple DI will allow your opponent to get just far enough out of range to avoid your consecutive hits. Hell, combine those two facts, and using Roy's aerials unintelligently is pretty much just giving control of the match to your opponent.

technomancer

Smash Champion
I would certainly like to see this amazing combo vs. Marth. Sure, Roy can SHFFL fast, but his combos are nothing you can't jump out of. Marth is probably actually your best combo dummy but you really can't link 4 aerials together gaurenteed against anyone, ever.

Roy's game is mostly based around learning those Fsmash mindgames and combos because it's pretty much his only way to score KOs. Basing it on his aerial game is ... um... probably not too great of an idea, just because it's pretty easy for most characters to work around them or grab you out of them.

Also, at that High of a percent, nothing really combos into a forward smash O_o

pr0ject240sx

Smash Rookie
from my own personal experience, i find it much easier to combo with roy. just yesterday i pulled a 11 hit combo against a cpt falcon or any character by that chance, and no i did not just use uair. my combo was pure dtilt, fair, dancing blade, and fsmash. the main concern to achieve a combo is to get as close as you can to ur opponent, and like u guys mention before, roy has little knockback so it makes it more convenient to get the combo.

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
from my own personal experience, i find it much easier to combo with roy. just yesterday i pulled a 11 hit combo against a cpt falcon or any character by that chance, and no i did not just use uair. my combo was pure dtilt, fair, dancing blade, and fsmash.
aahahahhahahahhahah

Baamage

Smash Apprentice
Don't laugh, Marth is gay, Roy is not
That's actually why I chose Roy to main. I wanted to main with a swordsman and I suck with both Link and his clone, but I hate Marths because they're just so... Forwardsmash...ish. So yeah that's why I chose Roy.

pr0ject240sx

Smash Rookie
already not believing the potential of roy huh? underestimating your opponent can get you into trouble.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
That's actually why I chose Roy to main. I wanted to main with a swordsman and I suck with both Link and his clone, but I hate Marths because they're just so... Forwardsmash...ish. So yeah that's why I chose Roy.
Marth is clearly better character than Roy, that's why it's much more challenging to main Roy than Marth.

What makes Marth a gay? Noobs who play him and use only fsmash (it's pretty annoying when you are playing against them with a character without projectiles...[like Roy])

Marth and Roy should switch swords :D

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
Marth is clearly better character than Roy, that's why it's much more challenging to main Roy than Marth.

What makes Marth a gay? Noobs who play him and use only fsmash (it's pretty annoying when you are playing against them with a character without projectiles...[like Roy])

Marth and Roy should switch swords :D
you know what makes a noob? someone who has no idea how to get around fsmash.

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
Whos that, never heard of him, anyway I said already: a person who uses only fsmash with Marth is a noob TO ME, it's just an opinion, I don't know how specify "noob"
you dont know drephen = you are a noob

gg, learn your smashers.

vZakat

Half Genie
The reason Roy doesn't have a good comboing ability is because his aerials don't have enough stun to them. At low percents charactors have enough time to jump, air dodge or shield after being hit. And at high percents you hit them to far. Marth swings faster and probably more stun, so he doesn't have that problem.

Roy-san

Smash Cadet
^^ agreed

and marth > roy in almost all aspects.

literally..

And if you constantly get caught in f smashes.......quit.

technomancer

Smash Champion
I really wish Hank had something better to do other than come on smashboards and call Roy players noobs.

That said quit bein noobs lol, even if you did pull off a 11-hit combo against CF, there's no way it would work against any kind of DI (as a rule Fair and DED get pwnzed by DI).

Roy-san, nice video you have there, great technical Roy :) I like it, you SHFFL like me. IMO needs more **** though; hard to score KOs by SHFFLing someone to death.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
Its true that Roy has some fast aerials, and they do seem like they would be good to combo with, but if you try them against a good player you will quickly see the problem. I still do use his nair somewhat often, but thats about it for his aerials.

In Roy's defence though, saying that someone is worse that Marth at everything isn't that big of a deal. Marth is better than alot of characters at everything. So don't say one of Roy's moves is bad because it isn't as good as Marth's version. Another thing is that though Roy's air game sucks, so does his ground game for the most part. So if you decide to go with an aerial Roy you probably won't do too much worse than you would with a grounded one.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Stop bugging the roy players. I personally main Marth, but I picked up Roy for a low teir tourney and noticed my L-canceling and Mindgames greatly improved after using him (my spacing suffered a little though.) I'm thinking of running him as my secondary character so that people can get freaked out and forget that I'm not Marth (worked on my friend's Shiek as he kept trying to d-throw to Fair me.) What would you suggest as an approach for Roy since I can't just space a Fair like I would with Marth?

Baamage

Smash Apprentice
Stop bugging the roy players. I personally main Marth, but I picked up Roy for a low teir tourney and noticed my L-canceling and Mindgames greatly improved after using him (my spacing suffered a little though.) I'm thinking of running him as my secondary character so that people can get freaked out and forget that I'm not Marth (worked on my friend's Shiek as he kept trying to d-throw to Fair me.) What would you suggest as an approach for Roy since I can't just space a Fair like I would with Marth?
I would say doing a B in the air would be a good replacement for Fair. It has basically the same range, except it hits below as well if done in the air. Furthermore, it can charge so timing isn't really an issue. By the way, the sweetspot is at the tip for this move.

And leave the Roy players alone... I'm sure we all had issues with Marth's Fsmash at some point... With Roy, just try to wavedash back away from the Fsmash and then use their lag to come back in for a hit of your own.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Approaching with the flare blade is a bad idea. Its range and tip sweetspot can suprise sometimes, but its way too laggy.

Best approaches with roy are probably dashdance->DED; or fair(spaced so that you're far enough away to not get shield grabbed)->d-tilt; or a deep nair, so if they shield you'll land behind them and they can't grab you.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Lol I saw the first post in here by project guy and then went ahahahaha and then I saw that guy that went ahahahaha right after and ... yeah.

and yes I'm a noob, i thought drephen only used dthrow and dsmash, my bads.

Zettai Kurayami

Smash Apprentice
Yea Roys aerials dont have enough stun to be useful for comboing unless its a fast faller and even then the only thing u can combo a fast faller with is Uair.

Finally more people that agree with me that Marth is a ***.
Proof: his taunt means everybody watch me.......im not lying.
No offense to any Marth players but its the truth

Top Bottom