• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice on Gravy's pivot method.

The Shadow

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys just want to drop some advice on Gravys method of the pivot turn since i feel like many people dropped a key point.

Anytime you dash, when you dash in the opposite direction in 1 frame you must be able to get the control stick off of the dash area, and into the crouch area.

Remember if you can do this, unlike the flick in many cases, you can do it on virtually any controller you want.

So I hope some new playas peep this method better. 123 seq.png

Last edited:

Deposition

Smash Rookie
Thanks for clearing that up. I was trying to find out what Gravy meant by "Quarter-Circle Pivot" and this makes sense.

Dat diagram cute.
:falconmelee:

Sieghart

Smash Apprentice
Just came here to say that this isn't "gravy's method" and clarify that Kadano took the time to create a frame-by-frame map of the Quarter Circle Pivot method while instructing on perfect pivot dtilt.

It's worth noting that in regards to both images the third step is unneeded if you don't intend to do a dtilt though that's pretty self-explanatory.

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
Just came here to say that this isn't "gravy's method" and clarify that Kadano took the time to create a frame-by-frame map of the Quarter Circle Pivot method while instructing on perfect pivot dtilt.

It's worth noting that in regards to both images the third step is unneeded if you don't intend to do a dtilt though that's pretty self-explanatory.
To be honest, to my knowledge it was gravy who first talked about the quarter circle pivot method (see below, tauKhan proved that he posted about it first). But yeah, it would be nice to have people give credit to me instead of pretending the stick maps I’ve put hundreds of hours in are a work of their own.

However, with the map you posted, I noticed I made a small mistake—I forgot to vertically mirror the base map before exporting to .png. Here’s the corrected version (replaced the bad one in the Imgur album):
[was still flawed, so I removed it; see post below for the corrected one]

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
To be honest, to my knowledge it was gravy who first talked about the quarter circle pivot method.
I don't think so, the earliest post by gravy here I could find was posted in Feb 2015. We discussed about the pivots nearly a year earlier here. I'm pretty sure you had also posted some of those input diagrams for the quartercircle pivot quite soon afterwards somewhere else.

Though I'm quite sure many players have secretly known the method for a long time, since it's kinda bound to occur when perfecting moonwalking. I think I discovered the method late 2013.

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
I don't think so, the earliest post by gravy here I could find was posted in Feb 2015. We discussed about the pivots nearly a year earlier here. I'm pretty sure you had also posted some of those input diagrams for the quartercircle pivot quite soon afterwards somewhere else.

Though I'm quite sure many players have secretly known the method for a long time, since it's kinda bound to occur when perfecting moonwalking. I think I discovered the method late 2013.
Thanks. I thought I remembered us discussing this before gravy wrote his thread, but I wasn’t able to find it so I decided I probably imagined it.

I’m not sure exactly what made me render the quartercircle pivot dtilt overlay, but I think it was that after gravy’s thread someone asked me about the specifics. Imgur upload date says “5 months ago”.

Edit: Corrected map:

(Edit 2016-09-08: Above map is still incorrect. I'll get to do a finally proper one soon hopefully.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom