• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advent III presented by Next Level Lan, November 13th 2011 Orlando FL

Zoro

Smash Champion
ADVENT III Tournament Results

November 13, 2011
Orlando FL

DOUBLES -Round Robin

1. Colbol :foxmelee: and Linguini :ganonmelee:
2. Plup :samusmelee: + Gahtzu :falconmelee:
3. Zidane :foxmelee: and Rekrul :marthmelee:
4. Zoro :linkmelee: and Pengie :foxmelee:
5. Lambchops :marthmelee: and III :samusmelee:
6. Uuaa :foxmelee: and Vericz :falcomelee:

SINGLES
5 rounds of Swiss followed by Top 16 DE bracket

1. Colbol :foxmelee:
2. Plup :samusmelee:
3. Linguini :ganonmelee:
4. Zidane :foxmelee: :sheikmelee:
5. Dark Sonic :marthmelee:
6. III :samusmelee:
7. Zoro :linkmelee:
8. Lambchops (Juan) :falcomelee:
9. Uuaa :foxmelee:
10. Vericz :falcomelee:
11. Gahtzu :falconmelee:
12. Rekrul :marthmelee:
13. Zero (sfl) :falcomelee:
14. Fearz :falcomelee:
15. Fearless :yoshimelee:
16. Frames :foxmelee:
17. Sword Dancer :marthmelee:
18. Pengie :foxmelee:
19. Mojo :ganonmelee: (dropped early)
20. SheerMadness :falcomelee: (dropped early)
21. Action B :falconmelee:
22. McNinja
23. BairJew
24. Wizzrobe :foxmelee:
25. Red Dragoon :sheikmelee:
26. Van :foxmelee:

ELO RATINGS
For the first time, I would like to present the current ELO ratings
If you need a detailed explanation about what ELO is go HERE

Numbers will change after every tournament, you may go up or down but unless you beat people that are better than you, you will not gain significant ELO. If you lose to people that are better than you, you will not lose significant ELO. If you lose to people with less ELO you will lose a lot of ELO. That is the simple summary of how the system works. It is NOT accumulative although the more tournaments you have the more accurate the data is.

Keep in mind THESE ARE NOT THE FL POWER RANKINGS. The ratings however are a very accurate indicator of skill level and tournament performance. Panelists will interpret the tournament data by using elo as the foundation for the PR talks.

Two lists: The first has everyone on it (less accurate) the second has only those with data from two tournaments or more (more accurate). This is the reason the Power Rankings should only contain those players that attend more than one tournament tri-annually.

Zoro

Smash Champion

Fun tournament, Good games to everyone that I played.

Thanks SFL for making it out I'm really happy you guys made it even though blea couldn't. Zidane you did well you deserve big props for coming over here and doing what you needed to do.

Might do individual shoutouts later just tired right now.

Sorry stream viewers but until I find a reliable pc we won't have a stream at the next few advents. I got plenty of good videos from this event and finally advent 2. So I'll be uploading Advent 2 vids first. I'll add links when I do.

Again thanks for coming out. See you all next month on December 10

Pi

Smash Hero
****ing zidane dude why didn't u money match me! it's the only reason i came to this event! jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezeeeeeeee

GG's all...........****ing ****
matches were tooo much
good **** colin on winning
pluuuuuuuuuup this was ur channnnnceeeee
lol

see u all at advent 4 :)

ghatzu stop ****ing smoking at tournaments dude -.-

salty because i didn't get to wreck zidane, zoro, & uuaa in bracket
every tournament i go to and don't get to fight these people i am not happy

let's just agree to remove col bol & plup from the bracket

and make another bracket of everyone else, and the winner gets to RR w/ col bol & plup or something

it's great plan thank me later
c ya

zoro thanks for hosting man

shame on tampa/gainsville or wherever yall are for not coming...

reelbigfishstix9

Smash Apprentice
****ing zidane dude why didn't u money match me! it's the only reason i came to this event! jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezeeeeeeee

GG's all...........****ing ****
matches were tooo much
good **** colin on winning
pluuuuuuuuuup this was ur channnnnceeeee
lol

see u all at advent 4 :)

ghatzu stop ****ing smoking at tournaments dude -.-

salty because i didn't get to wreck zidane, zoro, & uuaa in bracket
every tournament i go to and don't get to fight these people i am not happy

let's just agree to remove col bol & plup from the bracket

and make another bracket of everyone else, and the winner gets to RR w/ col bol & plup or something

it's great plan thank me later
c ya

zoro thanks for hosting man

shame on tampa/gainsville or wherever yall are for not coming...
Yo your tag used to be III right?

we have to play another set, stock at 2-2 since dont choke

:phone:

Zoro

Smash Champion
1. Colbol
Good job dude that grand finals took everything you had but you pulled it off.

2. Plup
Shame you let it go and couldn't get that one win you needed but you were so close to winning the tournament man.

3. Linguini
Almost had colin man, you were showing people why you are one of the top players in florida. Thanks for coming down

4. Zidane
Players like you are keeping this game competitive. Everybody has got to stay on their toes now with so many good players around.

5. Dark Sonic
I hate losing to you

6. III
You are just lucky

8. Lambchops (Juan)
I'm so glad you came to orlando for this. Please commentate from now on you are so good at it. Come to the next one on December please.

9. Uuaa
You got wrecked but it won't happen again

10. Vericz
Thanks for comin to my place and the movies up here. I know it was out of the way but I appreciate it. Good job getting top 10

11. Gahtzu
I hope you have been humbled by your crushing loss.

12. Rekrul
Marth is so hard to play against. Just grab grab grab fthrow of edge edgeguard. Once you got that down you'll never lose to me.

13. Zero (sfl)
Legit falco bro hope to see you around more. You had the matchup down which I find highly unusual. You are such a nice guy too

14. Fearz
Another legit falco that I hope to see around

15. Fearless
With yoshi, bro i'm happy you are having fun with the game again from time to time

16. Frames
Glad you finally made it out dude, was hella fun having you around

17. Sword Dancer
Dude u almost made it, don't worry bout your losses you are getting there

18. Pengie
Fun teaming with you bro, you did nasty.

19. Mojo (dropped early)
I refuse to have you not participate at my tournament. You did well for your first real event back

20. SheerMadness (dropped early)
why do you only come when colin calls you lol?

21. Action B
The man

22. McNinja
Didn't play you unfortunately but thanks for making it all the way out here

23. BairJew
Same as mcninja

24. Wizzrobe
Don't let your losses get you down dude you got to earn them. People are more experienced than you, you have to become accustomed to the pressure of the match. That's why i hype you up and put you on the recording setup. You need a crash course in handling your nerves. Keep coming and you'll get used to it.

25. Red Dragoon
Stick with peach man, I wouldn't invest any time on link at this stage of your career.

26. Van
Same as McNinja

To everyone: Thank you for attending this tournament and driving out here. I appreciate all the setups you guys brought. This tournament can't be successful without your participation. I hope everyone is getting used to the format and swiss. We still are inexperienced with how to run everything so that people are still happy but we are figuring it out more every time. I decided to do swiss so that more people could get more matches not just the top players. It is less time consuming, more accurate than doing pools and everyone can get valuable tournament experience.

If the majority of people don't like the system or would like to change it back to standard DE or Pools, I don't mind doing that. The payouts are low for now because of all the new people that pay $5 but the fact that so many people are paying $5 right now is actually a good thing. It means the community is growing or bringing back old players. Over time expect the payouts to improve.

Zoro

Smash Champion
most definitely.

zoro don't PR me until i'm top 3 kthx.
If you are it won't be me that decides. Since I am not a panelist. Which makes you lucky since I would place you right below action B at 57

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
Salty that I was one spot away from making it into the bracket, but I have no one else to blame for that but myself for that.

Good **** to Pi for beating Chops. The entire last minute of the set nearly gave me a heart attack. When you missed that easy edgeguard a little piece of me died, but it was restored after you won anyway.

Also thanks for taking me home, that's definitely appreciated.

Good job to Plup, so close and yet so far.

Colin bring a towel next time, you're going to make the floor slippery with all that sweat.

GGs to everyone I played. Good stuff to Mcninja, Bairjew, and that other guy who I forgot for improving a lot since the last time I saw them.

**** Wizzrobe for becoming as good as me in just a short span of time. :(

Zoro

Smash Champion
For the first time, I would like to present the current ELO ratings
If you need a detailed explanation about what ELO is go HERE

Numbers will change after every tournament, you may go up or down but unless you beat people that are better than you, you will not gain significant ELO. If you lose to people that are better than you, you will not lose significant ELO. If you lose to people with less ELO you will lose a lot of ELO. That is the simple summary of how the system works. It is NOT accumulative although the more tournaments you have the more accurate the data is.

Keep in mind THESE ARE NOT THE FL POWER RANKINGS. The ratings however are a very accurate indicator of skill level and tournament performance. Panelists will interpret the tournament data by using elo as the foundation for the PR talks.

Two lists: The first has everyone on it (less accurate) the second has only those with data from two tournaments or more (more accurate). This is the reason the Power Rankings should only contain those players that attend more than one tournament tri-annually.

Tournaments considered: Don't Choke 2, ADVENT I, ADVENT II, Flying Spaghetti Monster, ADVENT III. Everyone Starts at 1200 ELO

XxDarkzeroxX

Smash Rookie
Zoro those up airs are too good I never knew. I always used to play links like zidane(before he switched to fox and got randomly amazing) and this other link that used to play with nickRiddle. You better watch your back cuz I'm not gonna lose again. That last stock was stupid I got hit by like 13 up airs in a row

:phone:

Linguini

Smash Master
had a great time and my sets with colin were mad fun.

fighting plup feels like i'm fighting hbox all over again...sooo ****ing boring

zoro I have to comment on how you should change it to pools instead of swiss. by the time the bracket started I was exhausted and so much time was wasted doing the 5 rounds + tiebreakers. it's just plain inefficient. even giving an extra hour of friendlies instead of swiss would've kept everyone way more warmed up and been faster as well.

VGmasta

Smash Lord

zoro I have to comment on how you should change it to pools instead of swiss. by the time the bracket started I was exhausted and so much time was wasted doing the 5 rounds + tiebreakers. it's just plain inefficient. even giving an extra hour of friendlies instead of swiss would've kept everyone way more warmed up and been faster as well.
But Swiss is so fun!

And you love fighting Plup and Hbox :troll:

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise

megajohns.

:-P Emilio

Zoro

Smash Champion
had a great time and my sets with colin were mad fun.

I understand that Swiss can be more difficult than pools because the more you win the harder it becomes each round but Swiss takes less time than pools does. If I do one round of pools i think that would be pretty redundant if I did two it would take more time than swiss does. We run 18 man swiss 5 rounds on 5 TVs in 4 hours easily every monday night. It takes longer at advent because of the breaks, recording and tie breakers. Swiss is 5 matches, Pools would be minimum 4 just before brackets, why is Swiss that much more exhausting than pools?

If the majority doesn't like swiss or finds it to be inefficient, we will definitely run pools next advent no questions asked. I will run a poll on FaceBook and ask. I'll consider you as one vote for pools.

One other thing I have to ask the top players about:
Sliding scale entree fees

Should top players pay more than the standard entree fee?
As an example every player above 1220 ELO pays $15 instead of the standard $10.
This way the players most likely to receive the payouts are contributing to a larger pot.
If this was the case we'd also payout 4th place.

Some pay 5, some pay 10 and some pay 15 which helps the pot but also keeps it cheap for new people and veteran players (like sheermadness) who need incentive to enter.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
COLIN BALLIN'

:D

Good work FL. I'm glad to see Plup doing well. Also happy to see Colin & Guini continue to hold it down.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
One other thing I have to ask the top players about:
Sliding scale entree fees

Should top players pay more than the standard entree fee?
As an example every player above 1220 ELO pays $15 instead of the standard $10.
This way the players most likely to receive the payouts are contributing to a larger pot.
If this was the case we'd also payout 4th place.

Some pay 5, some pay 10 and some pay 15 which helps the pot but also keeps it cheap for new people and veteran players (like sheermadness) who need incentive to enter.
No.

50% more entrance fee because I pass a somewhat arbitrary boundary makes no sense to me. Players at the 15 mark would be risking much more to gain little more (if any at all). Unless you're paying out to like, 9th, this doesn't help anybody but 1st and 2nd place.
I like the Veteran and New player discounts because they provide incentives to play. People who are already paying should NOT be penalized for doing so.
I can see that you're heart is in the right place, but this doesn't actually help.

Zoro

Smash Champion

Results of the poll:
20 people voted
16 for swiss (1 voted on accident)
2 for Pools
2 for DE (one was trolling)

We are going to keep running swiss as long as the majority wants to do it.

TO apollo:
Some people don't mind paying 15 because it has been the norm for years. I wouldn't mind paying 15 since that's what I've always payed. If it's 5, 10 or 15 it doesn't really matter to me. 4th Place is an obtainable goal for anyone above 1220 imo. You need like at least a $400 pot to justify paying out to 9th and we barely get to 200. We could probably pay out to 6th place (the two 5s normally)

Just thinking of ways to make everybody happy. If the majority of the players above a certain range like the idea I'll implement it. Also I don't think of it as being penalized, if you are good it's probably because you are serious about the game, if you are serious it shouldn't bother you to pay an extra 5 as a competitor.

Top Bottom