• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advanced tips?

DoctorBoson

Smash Rookie
I've been playing P:M Sonic for a little while now (only started really playing in 2.6), and while I'm decent, I have some real trouble pulling a couple of techniques and competing in a couple of matchups. Hoping you guys can answer some questions and provide some insight.
  • I'm clueless as to what a spinshot is. I've read about it, and I'm told that it still works in 2.6, but I can't do it. Is it a thing? How should I use it, and when?
  • Blast attack is, I believe, attacking during homing attack's wind up and shooting forward with no lock on. When should I do this? Any cool combos or fake outs you can pull with this?
  • L-canceling and wavedashing are basic techniques that I can do, but don't know how to utilize them as sonic; when I hit the ground I'm usually in a spin dash, and I have no idea when a wave dash would be better than a roll or just sprinting.
  • I have a lot of trouble against Link and Diddy Kong. Feels like I just can't close in on them to do damage. General tips, or other tricky match ups I should know about?
  • Any good combos that don't involve spin dash -> jump and a couple of airs?

Nazo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nazoplex
I'm clueless as to what a spinshot is. I've read about it, and I'm told that it still works in 2.6, but I can't do it. Is it a thing? How should I use it, and when?
Spin shot is when Sonic fires himself diagonally forward using the momentum from spindash's release. Spin shot can be performed several ways, but one of the more common ways of doing it is by charging spin dash (in the air) and pressing the jump button just as you release spin dash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XXmFe9Hc4o

In the following video (at 1:13) Sonic performs a spin shot to escape Marth's pressure near the ledge.

Blast attack is, I believe, attacking during homing attack's wind up and shooting forward with no lock on. When should I do this? Any cool combos or fake outs you can pull with this?
Blast attack can be used in many many situations. It's a good alternative as an out-of-shield option when other options seem dim.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5xqlcuz1Aw
Not every blast attack used in this video is "smart" usage, but most of them are good examples of how they can be used.

L-canceling and wavedashing are basic techniques that I can do, but don't know how to utilize them as sonic; when I hit the ground I'm usually in a spin dash, and I have no idea when a wave dash would be better than a roll or just sprinting.
You shouldn't always spin dash, it's very punishable. Wavedashing is good for Sonic's bait and punish game, just use it mainly for weaving outside of your opponents range, and then punish.

I have a lot of trouble against Link and Diddy Kong. Feels like I just can't close in on them to do damage. General tips, or other tricky match ups I should know about?
Unfortunately I cannot give you advice on these MUs because I haven't played anyone notable who uses these characters. I don't want to give you advice that isn't efficient.
Any good combos that don't involve spin dash -> jump and a couple of airs?
Yes, blast attack; it leads into just about anything, even a footstool.

Side-B > Blast attack > Fair > ??? > profit

Juggling is one thing that Sonic is decent at, as well as dragging the opponent across the stage with Side-B to set up for gimps.

Just get creative. :)

Duum

Smash Rookie
I guess to follow up, is there anything cool you can do out of side-b? I've learned that side-b does different moves depending on whether you press an attack button or jump, but are there any good follow ups for it?

Nazo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nazoplex
I guess to follow up, is there anything cool you can do out of side-b? I've learned that side-b does different moves depending on whether you press an attack button or jump, but are there any good follow ups for it?
You can jump out of side-B, so pretty much anything is possible to follow up on after Side-B
You can jump cancel grab out of side-b, any aerial attack out of side-b, blast attack, footstool, Down-b, or even another side-B (after a jump of course).

You'll have to carefully choose your option depending on your opponent's DI and other small factors like crouch cancelling.
I normally just go with side-B > blast attack > aeriel attack > anything. Following up with blast attack makes it easier to react to your opponent crouch cancelling side-B. Jump cancel grab out of side-B is also good for punishing crouch cancelling and shields, especially vs. fast fallers.

Pressing "A" during side-b will cause you to do a sliding kick, which can be ledge cancelled. the kick sends the opponent horizontally, but be careful, it has a lot of end lag if not ledge cancelled.

Top Bottom